Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Larches, you're the goon stuck in a well. You're stuck in that well for a lot of good reasons, but stuck you remain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Collateral Damage posted:

If you can get away with it, just open the filter up. Change it to default allow, blacklist known trouble sites, disable SSL inspection and get the students off your back.
Agreeing with this. At the very least until you can spend more time setting up filters.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Fyi, larches, your job sounds a lot like my job as retail management. I've got a million projects to do but not enough time to work on them. But oh, we're fully staffed at least to help customers so we won't be bringing in more people but I still have to get a bunch of major overhauls done in the next week or two.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://twitter.com/DHRadio/status/955417545783332864

Thinking of you, Tech Support thread.

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran
I got a message from a co-worker that Dell pulled all of their Meltdown BIOS updates and sure enough, they aren't on the Dell drivers pages. No announcement, and nothing from our Dell rep apparently. Anyone know what's going on?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CapMoron posted:

I got a message from a co-worker that Dell pulled all of their Meltdown BIOS updates and sure enough, they aren't on the Dell drivers pages. No announcement, and nothing from our Dell rep apparently. Anyone know what's going on?

Intel admitted the microcode updates they had pushed out could cause the CPU's to corrupt memory and crash, so pulled them. All the OEM's followed suit. Intel is 'working on a fix'.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Link?

Kyyrewyyoae
Jul 20, 2007

Vae debilibus!
I've been using the list @ http://www.dell.com/support/article...oducts?lang=en, and it's still there, but clicking on a BIOS update gives this error:

The file you are attempting to download is no longer available, and may have been updated or replaced with a newer version. Please visit the Drivers and Downloads page and try your search again.

I've been slowly patching our Dell workstations and haven't had any issues so far.

I wasn't getting this error as recently as Friday.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

This entire process has been a clusterwhoops. We've now settled on the path of getting McAfee MOVE on our servers and pushing out the registry key to let them patch Windows, and a big ol' "wait and see" on anything else.

We asked our "security team" to maybe tell us what patches/BIOS/firmware we need and in what order do we need them, and they basically said they don't know and it's up to us to figure it out.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A network outage came in.

Our server room was basically an oven after the AC went out. I spent the whole morning attempting to get some sort of ventilation going with box fans while attempting to bring everything back up.

Also, almost all students are having issues with the web filter because they're all trying to use VPNs to circumvent the loving thing. Once the VPNs are gone, everything works like magic. loving interesting, that.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It's a common misconception, but that character is actually called Zelda.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:can:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Jaded Burnout posted:

lol

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Jaded Burnout posted:

???

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

larchesdanrew posted:

He is by far the worst person I have ever had the displeasure of meeting, and people are jumping ship like crazy because of him. But since he's the equivalent of the superintendent and we only answer to the state board of education, filing complaints against him is nearly impossible.

Newspapers love writing about education. Maybe your local paper would be happy to get tips about lavish trips and start rattling cages.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

larchesdanrew posted:

A network outage came in.

Our server room was basically an oven after the AC went out. I spent the whole morning attempting to get some sort of ventilation going with box fans while attempting to bring everything back up.

Also, almost all students are having issues with the web filter because they're all trying to use VPNs to circumvent the loving thing. Once the VPNs are gone, everything works like magic. loving interesting, that.

Do you have any form of logging to prove that? If so - write that poo poo up and send it to directorman every single time students bitch about their poo poo not working. Prove it's not you, it's them, and if they'd stop loving with things they don't understand everything would be fine.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Linus has been on a tear I the kernel mailing list, the last few days, re: spectre and meltdown. It's been rather entertaining.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

why are you posting metal gear characters in this thread

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Nth Doctor posted:

Not that this holds a candle to what larches is going through, but I'm considering replacing my HP Officejet 6000 due to ink lasting ~3 pages/cartridge.

Do your print jobs look like loving Jackson Pollock paintings? What the actual gently caress? :psyboom:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

EoRaptor posted:

Intel admitted the microcode updates they had pushed out could cause the CPU's to corrupt memory and crash, so pulled them. All the OEM's followed suit. Intel is 'working on a fix'.

In all seriousness, I would like to see this announcement

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Malek posted:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/52345

Can't find the original Intel announcement, but here is VMware's

found it?

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/root-cause-of-reboot-issue-identified-updated-guidance-for-customers-and-partners/

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
I found it.

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/intel-security-issue-update-addressing-reboot-issues/

and then

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/root-cause-of-reboot-issue-identified-updated-guidance-for-customers-and-partners/

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Malek posted:

I did some looking and this was the closest I've found an official announcement from Intel.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Jaded Burnout posted:

why are you posting metal gear characters in this thread

Metal...Gear?!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

A ticket came in

A cable is unplugged

But I'm not IT so it's not my drat problem and I don't know why this lady emails me all the time

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I just found out that despite the recent budget cuts we have received, director sought a pay increase from the state. This request was denied and suddenly he's all about combining, cutting, and downgrading positions.

HMMM

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
So, like, because I work in an ISP and what not I really shouldn't provide specific details about our outages

But, uh, when a phone call starts with "So we heard a really loud 'pop' and the fire alarm went off" you know a ticket's going to be really bad.

Really, really, really bad.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's cool when big power things blow up

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

larchesdanrew posted:

I just found out that despite the recent budget cuts we have received, director sought a pay increase from the state. This request was denied and suddenly he's all about combining, cutting, and downgrading positions.

HMMM

Seriously, look up your local newspaper, find out who regularly writes the education/school stories, and give them a call. They will love to hear about this.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

Linus has been on a tear I the kernel mailing list, the last few days, re: spectre and meltdown. It's been rather entertaining.

Yeah, it bubbled up to become actual news today. I'm surprised he's restraint in letting intel continue to contribute for all the poo poo they're trying to pull.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Seriously, look up your local newspaper, find out who regularly writes the education/school stories, and give them a call. They will love to hear about this.

The only reason I'd not do this is because it sounds like said director is smear campaigning Larches and if said paper goes to someone else for a second account, Larches might get thrown under said bus... mainly cause of this line:

larchesdanrew posted:

Emails complaining about the new web filter come in daily to my boss, with a majority of students claiming that "no one likes or trusts Mr. Larchesdanrew." My confidence and feeling of self-worth has never been higher.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

incoherent posted:

Yeah, it bubbled up to become actual news today. I'm surprised he's restraint in letting intel continue to contribute for all the poo poo they're trying to pull.

Hadn't heard about this, and oh boy

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/22/intel_spectre_fix_linux/

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
I am equally cranky when greedy people do stupid things.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

larchesdanrew posted:

HMMM

Gee, that's awful convenient.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Malek posted:

The only reason I'd not do this is because it sounds like said director is smear campaigning Larches and if said paper goes to someone else for a second account, Larches might get thrown under said bus... mainly cause of this line:

If the superintendent knew someone he thought would do the job for less money, he'd have canned Larches already. But as it turns out, the man can't even hire a loving school secretary*.

Besides, my understanding is as much as staff are getting frustrated with Larches, they still hate the boss even more. A reporter asking "so how about that expensive trip to Chicago your boss just took?" isn't going to be met with "well it's because our IT guy is such a huge jerk!"

*I'm not maligning school secretaries; they can do a hell of a lot of good for schools. But it still speaks poorly that he can't manage to fill a position that doesn't have licensure requirements or even require a college education.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 23, 2018

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

No one could access their files for an hour because the datacentre suspended us for not paying a £20 late payment fee. You do fine work, finance department.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

bitterandtwisted posted:

No one could access their files for an hour because the datacentre suspended us for not paying a £20 late payment fee. You do fine work, finance department.

We pay all of our bills late because out accounting department is full of slow senior citizens

Every other time we call a vendor for help "uhh you owe us $1200 we can't talk to you until..."

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

If the superintendent knew someone he thought would do the job for less money, he'd have canned Larches already. But as it turns out, the man can't even hire a loving school secretary*.

Besides, my understanding is as much as staff are getting frustrated with Larches, they still hate the boss even more. A reporter asking "so how about that expensive trip to Chicago your boss just took?" isn't going to be met with "well it's because our IT guy is such a huge jerk!"

*I'm not maligning school secretaries; they can do a hell of a lot of good for schools. But it still speaks poorly that he can't manage to fill a position that doesn't have licensure requirements or even require a college education.

Fair point. Find a bus with deflated tires then to throw him under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

We pay all of our bills late because out accounting department is full of slow senior citizens

Every other time we call a vendor for help "uhh you owe us $1200 we can't talk to you until..."

At my last job, on at least one occasion they "bought" a company by acquiring all the assets of the company in question, taking over whatever contracts they wanted (lease, copier, internet, etc.) and then when bill collectors come for the others they'd go "sorry we're not bought_company, we just happen to have all of their equipment, staff, and many of their contracts, and occupy the same building space."

It was incredibly sketchy and the MSP that the bought company used refused (rightly) to give us any device/network information until the past due balance was paid. Glad they saw through the bullshit and also that I'm not dealing with that mess anymore.