Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Pancakes posted:

We're at 25 total entries so far and still have one SCOTUS Justice who hasn't been picked by anyone, either in a Shoot the Moon entry or otherwise. We also have had a famous concurrence submitted as both an opinion and a dissent by different contestants. It's still too early to know for certain who'll win, but there are 4-5 questions that are very clearly going to decide who's in the top bracket of points.

My answers were boring as poo poo and in a normal sheep game I'd have a shot but dealing with cspam means I'll be shocked if any answer has 2+ responses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Chokes McGee posted:

My answers were boring as poo poo and in a normal sheep game I'd have a shot but dealing with cspam means I'll be shocked if any answer has 2+ responses

Yeah, I also tried to give legit answers, but who knows.

Anyway, about popes!

When you talk about the early ones it's hard to separate reality from rumor-mongering and propaganda. Please consider Pope John XXII, who had a relatively short reign of less than five years but still accomplished a lot!
  • He helped Jews escape persecution in World War II!
  • He kicked off the Second Vatican Council, which continues to infuriate hard-liners to this day!
  • As part of that, he helped ensure that masses could be done in languages other than Latin, helping to spread the faith to non-traditional regions!
  • He was a champion of social services, saying things like ""Man has the right to live. He has the right to bodily integrity and to the means necessary for the proper development of life, particularly food, clothing, shelter, medical care, rest, and, finally, the necessary social services. In consequence, he has the right to be looked after in the event of ill health; disability stemming from his work; widowhood; old age; enforced unemployment; or whenever through no fault of his own he is deprived of the means of livelihood" and being ignored by most nations!
  • He actually tried to mediate the Cuban Missle Crisis!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I'll put it out there that m y pope answer was Formosus because cadaver synod is a huge meme round these parts lol

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I picked saint peter because who the gently caress else would you pick. there’s like 14 orgy popes so you can’t single out one of them.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Billzasilver posted:

I picked saint peter because who the gently caress else would you pick. there’s like 14 orgy popes so you can’t single out one of them.

Yeah, seriously. Which Pope is best? "Um... the one supposedly picked by the loving son of god, duh?"

Also, if nobody else picked the same Trump child I picked, I will be SORELY DISAPPOINTED IN ALL OF YOU, CSPAM.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
We're at 28 entries with a little more than a day to go. I'm trying to get the scoring easier to track so that I'm not tallying everything all at once after we're done. I've never run a Sheep Game before, so it's a learning process. I did a quick tally, though I stopped in the middle to sing along to the "Gaston Song" when it came on TV, so my scoring may be off a little.

Some fun facts and stats:
Every single question had at least one answer that produced points.
We still don't have every SCOTUS Justice listed.
The questions that have produced the fewest points are Questions 8 & 15, comic book characters and dogs. Each has only produced 5 points total across all entries.
The best possible score right now would be 94, if one single entry had picked the most popular answer for each question.
Current highest scores: 75, 69, 68, 65.
Current lowest scores: 3, 4, 4, 4.

Sundae posted:

Also, if nobody else picked the same Trump child I picked, I will be SORELY DISAPPOINTED IN ALL OF YOU, CSPAM.

Arguably someone else has you covered, though not phrased exactly the same way. Neither of you had as funny a response for that question as Hoot the Owl did, though.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

wait, don’t you get 15 points if you shoot the moon and get 1 point for every question?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Billzasilver posted:

wait, don’t you get 15 points if you shoot the moon and get 1 point for every question?

I'm scoring it as every answer that's the same as yours is a point. It shouldn't have an impact on the overall standings, just add 15 to everyone's score if you don't like how I'm totaling everything.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Sundae posted:

Yeah, seriously. Which Pope is best? "Um... the one supposedly picked by the loving son of god, duh?"

He was just in the right place at the right time.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Pancakes posted:

Arguably someone else has you covered, though not phrased exactly the same way. Neither of you had as funny a response for that question as Hoot the Owl did, though.

I can't wait to see this.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

i'm guessing alito is the scotus judge ppl have neglected so far, and if i'm right i should get a free hat imo

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Sent, let's see if I know C-SPAM like I do D&D.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Saladin Rising posted:

Sent, let's see if I know C-SPAM like I do D&D.

having knowledge of d&d in any way other than it's bad should be grounds for immediate disqualification

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Pancakes posted:

We're at 28 entries with a little more than a day to go. I'm trying to get the scoring easier to track so that I'm not tallying everything all at once after we're done. I've never run a Sheep Game before, so it's a learning process. I did a quick tally, though I stopped in the middle to sing along to the "Gaston Song" when it came on TV, so my scoring may be off a little.

Some fun facts and stats:
Every single question had at least one answer that produced points.
We still don't have every SCOTUS Justice listed.
The questions that have produced the fewest points are Questions 8 & 15, comic book characters and dogs. Each has only produced 5 points total across all entries.
The best possible score right now would be 94, if one single entry had picked the most popular answer for each question.
Current highest scores: 75, 69, 68, 65.
Current lowest scores: 3, 4, 4, 4.

Use this program, it's what I use for the games I've ran. You'll need to play around with it a little but it's far easier than excelling it.

http://twofive.ca/sheep/

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Gringostar posted:

having knowledge of d&d in any way other than it's bad should be grounds for immediate disqualification

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Entries open until the end of the day?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Reality Loser posted:

Entries open until the end of the day?

Yeah, I realize the OP wasn’t clear. Plus I’m stuck in court with about 600 cases to go today. Once it’s midnight CST I’ll stop accepting entries.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pancakes posted:

And yet one of these is the only question you've confirmed I have points for! I am the most esoteric sheep.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
You know who you can count on wearing a piss tape hat in public? Journalist for an actual news outlet, Ashley Feinberg.

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/955486644299288577

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gringostar posted:

having knowledge of d&d in any way other than it's bad should be grounds for immediate probation

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Gringostar posted:

i heard dungeons and dragons is good tho :thunk:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
33 entries and Serfer has, if nothing else, the ballsiest entry.

Note to the thread: Just submitting "Ed Balls" as your answer for every question disqualifies you from Shooting the Moon. It does not, however result in 0 points. Other legitimate entries have named Ed Balls for various responses.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

has ed balls made a trump-like appearance in a comic book

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

can't wait to be an unremarkable loser much like our president doland rumpt

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Was Ed Balls not the obvious world leader to invite to dinner or whatever the question was?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Was Ed Balls not the obvious world leader to invite to dinner or whatever the question was?

it was who would invite trump to their birthday party and the answer is pretty obvious
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/929511061954297857?s=17

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

it was who would invite trump to their birthday party and the answer is pretty obvious
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/929511061954297857?s=17

jesus can i change my answer for best trump tweet?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

jesus can i change my answer for best trump tweet?

I mean, it makes literally zero difference in the scoring. There's been very little crossover in the Tweet answers. I'm currently adding in the last 5 entries to date by hand and re-scoring everything. I'm going to double-check my math before finalizing everything but I just want to say that people with legitimately strong entries at the last minute make manually rescoring everything a pain. I'm looking at you, Saladin Rising, Shear Modulus and Reality Loser. I don't think you're going to overtake the current leader but you've got enough overlap with the current leaders that you're making it come down to the wire. :argh:

As a note, it only took 29 entries before we finally had our last SCOTUS Justice covered. Thank you, Selious! You would have had a legitimate shot at Shooting the Moon if you hadn't picked the most popular Trump child. :sigh:

E: Current leaders are now at 93, 81 & 80. Current Shoot the Moon leaders are at 3, 4, 5 & 5. The winner's pretty much determined now, it'd take too many ballots with very specific answers to help numbers 2 or 3 catch the leader. One or two entries within the next two hours could absolutely determine the Shoot the Moon winner, though.

Pancakes has issued a correction as of 04:50 on Jan 23, 2018

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I was typing up the results and then I got 2 entries in the last 5 minutes, including one submitted at 11:59 PM. Cutting it close, folks. That being said, :siren:we've got some results:siren:!

There were 35 entries. The winner, with a grand total of 103 points, is The Agronox. Coming up just shy with a literal last-minute 11:59 PM entry was The Iron Llama with 97 points. After that were PostNouveau with 87 and Grizzled Patriarch with 86.

The Agronox's answers were, in order:
1. FDR
2. Norway
3. RBG
4. Brown v. Board
5. Scalia in Lawrence v. Texas
6. John XXIII
7. California
8. Trump is a comic book character
9. Tiffany
10. "I'll still drink that garbage"
11. Dale Gribble
12. Jackie Robinson
13. The Phantom Menace
14. Duterte
15. A German shepherd

The most popular entries for each question were:
1. FDR
2. Canada
3. RBG
4. Brown v. Board
5. Scalia in Obergefell
6. Pope Francis
7. California
8. Trump
9. Tiffany
10. 2-way tie between "I'll still drink that garbage" and the infamous "Haters and losers" Tweet
11. Cotton Hill
12. Jackie Robinson
13. The Phantom Menace
14. Duterte
15. It would never happen

The lowest qualifying entry belongs to Crazycryodude with 3 points. Just missing was redneck nazgul with 4. They gave one another a point apiece as the only contestants to choose Justice Stephen Breyer. Crazycryodude received 2 points by choosing Eric Trump, while redneck nazgul got 3 points from choosing Ivanka.

My favorite entries for each question, usually by virtue of being unique or offensive:
1. Jefferson Davis, from Meatbag Esq.
2. The Holy See from Panic! at Nabisco
3. Scalia's Zombie Corpse from El Mero Mero
4. A tie between mao zedong thot and Mayor Dave for Plessy v. Ferguson and Meatbag Esq, tubamortis and True Blue Triumph for Dred Scott v. Sanford, you awful, awful people.
5. Reality Loser for picking RBG's dissent in Shelby County, mostly because they made sure to point out that RBG was right (and because it was just "VRA dissent" in the email and I knew that meant Shelby County by memory).
6.Formosus, because I'd never heard of the Cadaver Synod until this thread. Several people had this entry. Runner up was Hoot the Owl with Jude Law.
7. Rhode Island from tubamortis because they referred to it as "Rhode Island and Providence Plantations" and I went to school in Providence.
8. Todd from Achewood, from Mayor Dave
9. r/The Donald from Hoot the Owl. Sundae submitted "the aborted one we never heard about" and Meatbag Esq. submitted "the ones swallowed by Melania", which I treated as close enough to equal. Still, r/The Donald was an inspired interpretation of "Trump's children".
10. The one about Barney Frank's nipples from Comrayn and Shear Modulus, mostly because I abbreviated it in my spreadsheet as "Barney's nips"
11. Jimmy Wichard by Saladin Rising, because that's an obscure and inspired choice
12. Moses Walker from El Mero Mero and The Iron Llama, because absent anyone picking Curt Flood this was a pretty good choice.
13. No one had any particularly impressive entries here. I briefly thought about spitefully counting "Clone Wars" as "Attack of the Clones" but it wouldn't have made a major difference in the results.
14. Hoot the Owl's entry of "Trump". Several people said it would be Trump inviting himself, but Hoot the Owl specifically said it would be because of dementia.
15. The actual dog who played Lassie, from C. Everett Koop. Other good entries included "Sloppy Steve, who's like a dog" and "Mooch in a Sonic the Hedgehog Fursuit".

Some fun facts:
The last Justice to be named was Kennedy.
Potter Stewart's concurrence in Jacobellis v. Ohio was submitted as both an opinion and a dissent.
Crazycryodude was actually the first submission in the game and always had the lowest score during the course of the game.

The random number generator winner is: BrownieMinusEye, with a random.org result of 2 (of 35), as the 2nd person who submitted an entry. For a second I thought Crazycryodude had won a second hat until i remembered that the first row was had headings, so I had to look down one.

My arbitrary choice for the last hat is: Hoot the Owl, because that was my favorite overall entry and they had some fun in the thread.

Again, congratulations to all the winners and thanks everyone for playing! Winners, please either PM or email me where you want me to ship your hats. I've got work and two doctor's appointments tomorrow, but if anyone wants further information about the results or the final standings please let me know and I'll try to post more. I'll plan on shipping out the hats to everyone shortly, probably on Saturday.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

aw man i got my hopes up after you said i had a strong entry. how far off was i?

"ill still drink that garbage" is my actual all-time favorite trump tweet but i thought nipples protruding would have been c-spam's favorite. guess i misread the room

jackie robinson was my first instinct for mlb player trump would hate but i went with barry bonds since he's arguably the GOAT and his having played in the steroid era apparently gives the modern racist baseball fan free reign to hate him

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 09:38 on Jan 23, 2018

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I can’t remember any trump tweets older than 12 hours but also I can remember all of them

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Now I will have no.way of showing people my unshakeable belief in the real piss tape :(

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I don’t remember what I put for most of these answers but I can assure you they were unfunny garbage

BrownieMinusEye
Apr 22, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Wow, I'm speechless. My religion forbids gambling and that's basically how I won. Gonna have to break out the extra big whip to atone for this sin tonight.

I see the phrase I spelled out with each letter of my answers got no mention, so it probably just made no sense.

Thank you Pancakes for doing this contest.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
gently caress yes. I shall wear it with pride. :3:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Uh, wow, I actually thought for sure I was gonna be middle of the pack. Kept kicking myself for Breyer thinking that because he's so forgettable everyone shooting the moon would go for him. Thanks for running this Pancakes, it was a lot of fun and I shall wear my piss hat with pride.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
awesome, this was a lot of fun and definitley out of the ordinary given the uh... open endedness of the questions. Great job winner goons that's nuts that so many of you went Unironic and (apparently) knew you all were going to haha

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Cotton Hill!? Cotton Hill fought in the war! Trump is clearly Buck Strickland.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

BrownieMinusEye posted:

Wow, I'm speechless. My religion forbids gambling and that's basically how I won. Gonna have to break out the extra big whip to atone for this sin tonight.

I see the phrase I spelled out with each letter of my answers got no mention, so it probably just made no sense.

Thank you Pancakes for doing this contest.

check w yr interpetive authorities on the matter but as there was no cost to entry or loss and no element of chance, im hard pressed to call a sheep game "gambling"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I can see how it's a little bit off because you can tell Buck Strickland knows he's full of poo poo, but come on, an incompetent businessman who's never called on his incompetence.

• Locked thread