Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

I don't know what the voice has to say since everyone took a turn talking last episode and Hiro most likely wasn't conscious during his first ride.

What I meant was that since the girls become the robots they speak with the robots' faces, whereas the boys speak through radio or something. In ep 1 strelizia spoke and zero two's voice came out, implying she became the robot like the other girls did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
The twist is that instead of butt handles she grows a crotch joystick that the protagonist has to articulate with the muscles of his anus.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!

Endorph posted:

Why would the tie-in manga's artist be relevant at all to the story?

The series is so far being a really dumb kind of sexy and they picked an illustrator perfect for that role. I’ll probably be madder over his use of Sameface in end like I already am with A-1.

darealkooky posted:

Did you miss the part where twintails girl got jealous that her partner wanted to pilot with another girl and their robot instantly broke down and stopped working?

No, no that revoking scene wasn’t lost on me.

Julias posted:

Hey guys, you're missing the obvious reasons why it's a mecha show.

It's so they can have cool fight sequences and sell toys :v:

I know what I’m getting for myself next christmas!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ran into links for some VA interviews today.

Thought they were mildly interesting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Understanding posted:

The series is so far being a really dumb kind of sexy and they picked an illustrator perfect for that role.
The writers did not pick the illustrator. The illustrator of the manga has negative to do with the anime or how its plot will unfold.

il-landier
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/sakyuuga/status/955422954988302339

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Endorph posted:

Turn-A Gundam had a villain who was obsessed with power, dominance, and proving himself the strongest contrasted with the protagonist, a fairly effeminate guy who spends like 1/3rd of the series crossdressing and hates fighting and mostly uses his mech for washing clothes and carrying cows. And it's from the year 2000.

I can certainly see why someone would argue that Gym exudes or encapsulates those qualities, but I don't recall anything to imply he's obsessed with them. His motivation for instance isn't having power, but, at least from his own perspective wanting to break free from the Moonrace's taboos because he thinks that those taboos have limited the Moonrace culturally and fighting is what will free them. That's not really anything to do with power, dominance or displays of strength. He seems content to be Dianna's subordinate until she orders him to hand over the Turn-X too. By the finale he's decided to use the Moonlight Butterfly to wipe out of all civilization on both the Moon and Earth and then restart it to his preference, but again, he wants to do so because he thinks the civilizations that are there are stagnant because they suppress the instinct to fight, not because they're necessarily weak.

Endorph posted:

Code Geass had a male protagonist who was a pretty lovely pilot and spent 90% of the first season in a grunt mech and had to rely on a girl to do all the fighting for him because all his other troops were the worst pilots in Japan, and while that take gets muddled a bit in the second season the second season still has that same girl firmly established as the best pilot in the series by a mile.

The show ends with Kallen and Suzaku dueling to what could be seen as a stand still, and even if you want to argue there's a winner it's only just barely and after an extended fight. Saying she's better than him by a mile is some gross exaggeration.

Endorph posted:

it was at LEAST three and also multiple characters constantly reference how sexy he is in a dress

I'm pretty sure it wasn't actually. Loran wears a dress once to the party Dianna throws to try and bridge the gap between the Moonrace and Amerians and once to the declaration of a new Moonrace state (that Kihel backs away from). You might be including him practicing wearing the dress with Kihel, but that's in the same episode as the first example with the party and almost directly follows from it, so I'd say there's no reason to include it as a separate example personally. The whole thing takes up maybe half an episode total across the entire show, so saying he does it for half the show itself is some major hyperbole.

Zark the Damned posted:

Skeevy as the butt handles may be, it's still a far better 2-pilot interface than in Pacific Rim.

What's wrong with the interface in Pacific Rim?

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 23, 2018

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Endorph posted:

Code Geass had a male protagonist who was a pretty lovely pilot and spent 90% of the first season in a grunt mech and had to rely on a girl to do all the fighting for him because all his other troops were the worst pilots in Japan, and while that take gets muddled a bit in the second season the second season still has that same girl firmly established as the best pilot in the series by a mile.

i totally forgot Code Geass had mechs in it

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Zetsubou-san posted:

i totally forgot Code Geass had mechs in it

They were actually just very ornate tables.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

I can certainly see why someone would argue that Gym exudes those qualities, but I don't recall anything to imply he's obsessed with them. His motivation for instance isn't having power, but, at least from his own perspective wanting to break free from the Moonrace's taboos because he thinks that those taboos have limited the Moonrace culturally and fighting is what will free them. That's not really anything to do with power, dominance or displays of strength. He seems content to be Dianna's subordinate until she orders him to hand over the Turn-X too. By the finale he's decided to use the Moonlight Butterfly to wipe out of all civilization on both the Moon and Earth and then restart it to his preference, but again, he wants to do so because he thinks the civilizations that are there are stagnant because they suppress the instinct to fight, not because they're necessarily weak.

Gym is basically toxicmasculinity.jpg. He’s this posturing, swaggering, entitled loudmouth who makes the screen bigger when he talks to people so he can loom over them, waves his authentic Hanzo steel around at the slightest provocation, and tries to rape Kihel because he’s bored and wants some fun. Even his appearance becomes ridiculous once you find out his backstory - he’s this gigantic muscleman covered in scars who goes on and on about resurrecting his people’s legacy of warfare, but his entire life has consisted of playing video games with his buddies in cold-sleep and sponging off his family’s reputation. Not only that, but he ends up having that phallic sword snapped in half when his delicate, feminine arch-enemy goes apeshit on him.

In fact, toxic masculinity being awful is one of Turn A’s most consistent themes. Agrippa is a lecherous idiot who wastes most of his time on ridiculous power-plays (like installing sliding platforms in his throne-room so that he can tower over his guests) and gets transparently manipulated thanks to his desire to prove himself as a proper, powerful leader. Phil is an arrogant, dick-waving warmonger who constantly talks down to the women he works with. Guin can’t handle his crush on another man, and his attempts to overcompensate as an ultra-manly captain of industry lead to him signing up with genocidal lunatics, getting replaced by a women who wisecracks at him about his unthinking acceptance of gender roles, and ends up alone, penniless, and entirely dependent on another woman. Even on the women’s side of things, the three tomboys in the cast - Sochie, Poe, and Cancer - are depicted as bloodthirsty, unreliable glory-hounds. Even one of the first villains in the show is a brutish, constantly-flexing manchild with a great big ‘male’ symbol on his crotch.

The most effective players in the show are three traditionally feminine women (Dianna, Kihel, and Lily) and two men who are comfortable enough in themselves to not be too fussed about sticking to strict gender roles (Harry, with his girly pyjamas, lacy sleeves, and pink sweaters, and Loran, whose androgyny needs no further elaboration).

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Cancer's different in looks from the "feminine women" is that she has big muscles I guess and the other two are massively more complex than that. And this dynamic you're constructing between them and the "feminine women" as a burn on toxic masculinity actually just makes the show sound incredibly sexist

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I think I must have watched a different show or something. I certainly don't recall Gym trying to rape Kihel and Guin wants to be a captain of industry because he thinks technology makes life intrinsically better rather than for some sort of compensation, which he does by calling Loran a female name instead. He allies with Gym because Dianna wants to restrict access to certain technology and he wants all of it, not because of her feminine values in some manner. He doesn't end up alone either, but with Merrybell and with enough money to secure passage on a ship to another continent. She's more aggressive than Guin too, given that she constantly seeks to resolve things by fighting or just wants to fight for fun and he has to constantly restrain her and Gym. Plus, Guin is the one who seems to have opted to care for her given that he seeks her out when the blimp is going down in the finale, not her him. The only woman Phil interacts with meaningfully is Poe as far as I recall and I don't even remember him talking down to her so much as just outright manipulating her because of her own desire for retribution and power. Agrippa doesn't want to be a powerful, proper leader either; he wants to cast all the aggressive people who seek conflict to Earth and have the Moon remain a peaceful and static place. For which he's willing to work with Gym, who hasn't shown much in the way of obvious desire for conflict by that point. Cancer as well as Corin become much more sympathetic over time and while their personalities do shift they never lose their stance on conflict as a good resolution.

Also, I do actually need you to explain Loran's androgyny. The only androgyny I can see is that he crossdresses. Under orders. And which he expresses dissatisfaction with. Other than that he's no more androgynous than any other Gundam protagonist going back to the start, and frankly, given that his resume includes agent, counteragent, miner, mechanic and pilot by the end of the show and that he gets hit in the balls several times in the opening few episodes he's probably manlier than many in some regards.

I can absolutely see (and agree with) the argument that the female characters are more active and important in the plot, and that Gym and Corin are traditionally male assholes but your post seems to have taken a lot of things in the show up to eleventy hundred to prove a point that I don't think the show itself was ever trying to make.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 23, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

Cancer's different in looks from the "feminine women" is that she has big muscles I guess and the other two are massively more complex than that. And this dynamic you're constructing between them and the "feminine women" as a burn on toxic masculinity actually just makes the show sound incredibly sexist

I’ll admit that I’m considering it in context of Tomino’s other works - the dude is, indeed, a bit weird about women. He’s got better since Victory, but that still sure was a show he did where women abandoning their femininity was presented as one of war’s greater tragedies.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
In Victory definitely, maybe Brain Powerd too going from what I've heard about it, but I don't think there's anything particularly egregious about his portrayal of women in 0079, Ideon, Zeta, Xabungle, F91, King Gainer or G-Reco. Even in Victory there's also Uso losing his innocence and possibly his values because of the war, and women like Katejina or Faula who were never notably compassionate that drive conflict.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

In Victory definitely, maybe Brain Powerd too going from what I've heard about it, but I don't think there's anything particularly egregious about his portrayal of women in 0079, Ideon, Zeta, Xabungle, F91, King Gainer or G-Reco. Even in Victory there's also Uso losing his innocence and possibly his values because of the war, and women like Katejina or Faula who were never notably compassionate that drive conflict.

Fuala and Katejina not being compassionate was exactly the tragedy I referred to. There are several late-game conversations in Victory where the cast all about how women are especially valuable because only they can create life, so a woman dying (or worse, choosing to be a killer) is especially horrific. So you have stuff like Fuala stopping her murderous rampage after being reminded that women can get pregnant, and the tragedy of Katejina going from Uso’s supportive big sis to a literal predatory backstabber who cynically uses femininity as a weapon.

Like I said, Tomino’s gender politics get fuckin’ weird.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Neither Katejina or Fuala started out as compassionate though. One of Katejina's first thoughts is that the residents of Kasseralia deserved to die for some petty reason. Again, Victory definitely is odd about women, but Turn-A isn't Victory.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

tsob posted:

What's wrong with the interface in Pacific Rim?

Something about 'giant DDR that you have to play 2-player because reasons' didn't sit well with me.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

Neither Katejina or Fuala started out as compassionate though. One of Katejina's first thoughts is that the residents of Kasseralia deserved to die for some petty reason. Again, Victory definitely is odd about women, but Turn-A isn't Victory.

She mentions that her social class probably had it coming for their callousness in the face of an existential threat, after going out of her way to help the civilian victims (abandoning the safety that her status offered in the process) and shortly before making sure that the children in their refugee caravan couldn’t see the carnage so they wouldn’t be traumatised. She also calls out the League Militaire for using child soldiers, and risks her life by going out in the middle of an apocalyptic space battle to let Uso know that his girlfriend is alive and safe. Early-series Katejina is blunt and cynical, but very compassionate. Fuala, meanwhile, has a couple of scenes where she’s nice to kids that underline that maternal instincts are the greatest redeeming features of a woman, and set up her weird-not-quite-redemption at the end where being reminded of the concept of motherhood briefly restores her sanity.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The mc can't pilot because he's a bottom. Lmfao

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
that's just accurate

as a bottom, most bottoms are useless

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't think two shows that are more than a decade old reflect that much on current tomino's beliefs, especially when he has created media with active and well-realized female characters since then.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This show has a lot of individual elements I like but they haven't come together for me yet.

Droyer posted:

Just as an aside I doubt this is gonna happen because in ep 1 Strelizia talked with zero two's voice.

The boys can talk through the robots too, as shown in this episode

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Expect My Mom posted:

that's just accurate

as a bottom, most bottoms are useless

They have at least one use

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
And here I thought Kamina was supposed to be toxicmasculinity.jpg.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I have nothing to add to actual discussion but pretend I posted pictures of literally every male from Utena as we discuss toxic masculinity

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Droyer posted:

What I meant was that since the girls become the robots they speak with the robots' faces, whereas the boys speak through radio or something. In ep 1 strelizia spoke and zero two's voice came out, implying she became the robot like the other girls did.

Ok, that might indicate that Hiro's and 02's relationship isn't just reverse.
In the same vein, once the girls are fully connected, they themselves don't speak anymore, but the Franxx' face is shown on the screen instead, even when talking with their partners.

GorfZaplen posted:

This show has a lot of individual elements I like but they haven't come together for me yet.

The boys can talk through the robots too, as shown in this episode

Only the girls actual make the mouth move.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tsob posted:

The show ends with Kallen and Suzaku dueling to what could be seen as a stand still, and even if you want to argue there's a winner it's only just barely and after an extended fight. Saying she's better than him by a mile is some gross exaggeration.
due to the curse of geass suzaku is pushing himself to the brink of his capabilities of piloting a mech, an advantage Kallen doesn't have. Obviously she's pushing herself to her limit too but her brain hasn't been literally rewritten to force her to do that. It's the difference between a high-end computer and one that's being overclocked - if the one that isn't being overclocked is still performing slightly faster/can run more programs at once/whatever than it's safe to assume that it's a fair bit more powerful. Note that this is a terrible metaphor but I hope you can see the spirit of the point rather than getting stuck on the specifics of how computers work.

And the order Lelouch gave to Suzaku is pretty clearly active during that scene, he has no reason to think Kallen would show him any mercy and his eyes are doing the red thing when it cuts to shots of his face.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

If 002 isn't the main pilot I'll probably drop the show because the teasing of that is the only interesting thing the show has done so far.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

If 002 isn't the main pilot I'll probably drop the show because the teasing of that is the only interesting thing the show has done so far.

:same:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I'm in as long as it's interesting and not just "no it has to be this one person to grab my butt handles."

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I'm in as long as it's interesting and not just "no it has to be this one person to grab my butt handles."

Nah it won't be this, in fact, Prediction: 002 operates by having the stamen not touch the butt handles and just backs up into them and dry grinds on them to control the FranXX, as this is the most have cake+eat too solution I can think of at this time.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

im only reading the manga for this show because it is drawn by the same guy who did to love ru.

also there are nipples in the manga

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Zark the Damned posted:

Skeevy as the butt handles may be, it's still a far better 2-pilot interface than in Pacific Rim.

I can kind of see your point if you mean that having a G-Gundam style control interface is impractical, and then you make two people have to mimic the same motions (unless there are three pilots) in order for the machine to function. Now Granted, I like this interface but I'm interested where you are coming from.

Honestly the cockpit layout of the FranXX is just too on the nose by itself. I'm still really waiting for the in-universe explanation for why they need butt handles because even the single pilot mechs have simulated butts. I can't remember the name, but I remember years ago there was another mech show I watched that had the whole "male pilot/female control unit" thing and both of them were contained in different parts of the torso of the mech. It made sense but then that series was also pretty blatant about the mech fights being a none-to-subtle metaphor for sex.

Can anyone do this without bashing the viewer over the head?

That's what it's looking like unless the series wants to introduce an element of "swinging" to the plot.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Or unless it does something else like people have been theorizing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Or unless it does something else like people have been theorizing.

Well their unit transforms between two modes, so maybe the pilot/CPU positions are swapped based on the form?

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!

Endorph posted:

The writers did not pick the illustrator. The illustrator of the manga has negative to do with the anime or how its plot will unfold.

i’m getting lost in the weeds a bit

GorfZaplen posted:

dunno what to say, unless they found a way to switch suits after their kiss

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Just watched the first two episodes after hearing a lot about it.

:catstare: What the hell.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
What actually transpires beneath the veil of an event horizon sexy robots? Decent people shouldn't think too much about that.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Lurking Haro posted:

Ok, that might indicate that Hiro's and 02's relationship isn't just reverse.
In the same vein, once the girls are fully connected, they themselves don't speak anymore, but the Franxx' face is shown on the screen instead, even when talking with their partners.

Only the girls actual make the mouth move.

From the VA interview posted above:

quote:

Her facial expressions are endless – as a girl with a wounded heart and a painful past, her mindset changes upon meeting Hiro, and her mood swings are pretty intense which makes her a pleasure to play. Her personality also changes when she rides the Franxx; she becomes more masculine than Hiro so that kind of makes Hiro more like a heroine really (laughs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Cant wait for him to get pegged

giant sex robot figuratively I mean.

• Locked thread