Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
There's one deck type that I've used to get a win that is very effective and probably easier to play for new players if you can get it. It's actually responsible for my only win at all, so I think it could be good for people to look for if they aren't that skilled yet.

It's based on Perfect Strike, which is a card that gets more powerful for each card that has the word Strike in it, such as Pommel Strike, Double Strike, Wild Strike, and your Basic Strike Card, as well as Perfected Strike itself.. An ideal here would be using Armaments to upgrade your Perfected Strike, then using Dual Wield+ to add 2 additional copies of Perfected Strike to your hand, increasing the damage of Perfected Strike by 6 more points. Double Tap is also useful, giving you a second Perfected Strike for 1 energy, but I found it not needed due to the other support cards; because you're bloating your deck with Strikes, you want to keep your extra cards and support as low as possible, meaning even good cards might get passed up because you need to make sure you're drawing what you need.

The weakness with this archetype comes from it's strength; the major problem is that your deck can become bloated; you always want to pick up Strike cards, which can balloon your deck as you add more Double Strikes and Wild Strikes, which aren't powerful cards on their own. Meanwhile, Perfected Strike itself costs 2 Energy, meaning you can usually only use one per round, and you may end up not getting one at all.

That's where the Ironclad's powerful support cards come in hand, however; with cards like Seeing Red, Offering, and Bloodletting, you can sacrifice HP to get more Energy and draw more cards; for secondary support, cards like Exhume can let you return an Offering to your hand after using it, letting you draw more. Your goal isn't to use all the cards you draw, but rather to fish out Perfected Strikes and use them, then send the rest of your hand to the discard, so you can get more perfected strikes next turn. Warcry, for instance, can let you put a Perfected Strike back on top of your deck for next round if you have more then you need. By floor 3, your Perfected Strikes can be doing 60-70 Damage on round one, so even the strongest bosses will quickly fall under your insane damage output, meaning the cost you're paying for Offering and Bloodletting doesn't really impact you. You should take every Offering you're given- though I think that's basically just good advice no matter what Ironclad build you're running-, and then decide on a case by case if you need a Seeing Red or Bloodletting, as 2-3 Offerings can be all the draw and energy you need.

Good relics with this are things like the Velvet Collar, because you don't actively play many cards, so the extra energy helps you begin cycling and the 6 card maximum won't matter, the Dream Catcher because you're more likely to be resting at campfires then upgrading cards, letting you look for more Strikes, the Bag of Marbles to make your first turn an even heavier Alpha Strike, and the Gambling Chip, letting you discard cards for an empty hand to look for an Offering or Strike.

I'm bad and still haven't beaten the Silent but this type of deck on the Ironclad got me through a run very easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Striker Archetype is pretty drat strong, never put two and two together that Pommel, Double and Wild also counted. If you want to win as The Silent, just keep rolling poison until it works out.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

The Strike card from the grey set also works to boost the damage, and it's a 0 energy 3 damage, making it valid to pick up if you stop by a shop and see it. Pommel Strike is the star of the strike boosters though; because it cycles itself, it lets you dig deeper in your deck for the cards you're looking for. You still want to pick up any Strike, but Pommel Strike is the one you should be hoping for.

The Archetype also doesn't really rely on you upgrading your cards at campfires; Seeing Red (Increases energy gained by 1), Perfected Strike (Increases damage by +1 for each Strike), and Dual Wield(Adds a third copy) are the only upgrades you definitely need, and you should only be bringing 1 Dual Wield, which means you should also only need 1 Upgraded Perfected Strike. The time I used this archetype and won I was using the non-nerfed Apotheosis, meaning I got to skip adding Armaments, which just made the deck even crazier.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Wow confused was rough on my low cost deck

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014
For those who've played both, how does this game compare to Hearthstone's Dungeon Runs? I really enjoyed them, but since I beat it on my final class I haven't been back. Is there much in the way of replay value, meta-progression and such?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The Huge Manatee posted:

For those who've played both, how does this game compare to Hearthstone's Dungeon Runs? I really enjoyed them, but since I beat it on my final class I haven't been back. Is there much in the way of replay value, meta-progression and such?

You unlock more cards, but the fun of the game is very much akin to FTL, finding bullshit compositions that make a mess of the enemy or die trying. The events, multiple bosses and diverse card/relic roster make it a joy to come back to.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The Huge Manatee posted:

It's the easiest digital comparison, but it's closer to the deckbuilding Dungeon Brawl (where you only have like 6 cards in deck to start) in how it plays.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I bought this today and spent all evening addicted to it. I have no idea what the good/bad classes or cards are but I noticed every time I pick the Silent I breeze through picking up cards that look absolutely OP until I hit a brick wall that chews me up in like 3 hits. And every time I pick the Ironclad life is struggle and every card on offer looks poo poo. Still got further with Ironclad than Silent though somehow! I had a crazy block + poison Silent going before that which should have been invincible barring bad luck, but said luck plus a turn of watching-other-monitor misplays combined ruined that.

E: Also I enjoy it a ton more than Hearthstone dungeon runs but part of that might be this game is new while I've played Hearthstone since 2013. I barely managed to drag myself through two dungeon runs before getting bored.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Just completed my first Silent run :toot:

Block/Poison build with noxious fumes, wraith form, footwork and other assorted dex buffs. I got a shitload of gold, had over 1k at one point

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Finished a few runs as Ironclad, both of which were dependent on the winning combo of getting as many Limit Breaks as I can, along with Inflame and Flex. Demon Form seems to be a bit of a trap since you get no immediate benefit and 3 energy is a gently caress ton. But getting 20+ Str with attacks like Whirlwind and Pummel is pretty loving hilarious. I burst over 200 points of damage on the geometries with a Bloodletting'ed Whirlwind. It was great.

Edit: Powered up Reapers are fun, too.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 23, 2018

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I wish this was on mobile

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Insurrectionist posted:

I bought this today and spent all evening addicted to it. I have no idea what the good/bad classes or cards are but I noticed every time I pick the Silent I breeze through picking up cards that look absolutely OP until I hit a brick wall that chews me up in like 3 hits. And every time I pick the Ironclad life is struggle and every card on offer looks poo poo. Still got further with Ironclad than Silent though somehow! I had a crazy block + poison Silent going before that which should have been invincible barring bad luck, but said luck plus a turn of watching-other-monitor misplays combined ruined that.

E: Also I enjoy it a ton more than Hearthstone dungeon runs but part of that might be this game is new while I've played Hearthstone since 2013. I barely managed to drag myself through two dungeon runs before getting bored.

Take a look at the bottom post of Page 1 and the top post of this page for card advice.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The most important thing is don't pick a card every time and remove your basic attack/defense cards asap. Unlike most card games you can actually play the same card twice in the same turn if you cycle through your deck, so a streamlined deck is a massive advantage. Only take cards that directly fit the strategy you are going for, especially once you're past the first area and should have a general idea of where your deck is headed.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I wish this was on mobile

Same, I feel like it would play great on a phone.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Removing your basic strikes and defends isn't always worth it; if you have nothing to fall back on then it just hurts your deck as a whole; for instance, if you've started getting a lot of Poisoned Stabs as Silent, it's worth visiting shops to drop off basic Strikes. But if your deck isn't coming together and you're still hurting for damage, removing those Stabs can turn every fight into a boring grind as you're trying to fish for what little damage you can get. Almost all monsters have an 'enrage', where they start spamming powerful, high damage attacks or boosting their stats. meaning that many glacial, slow decks ('control' decks) can eventually be ground down if you aren't plotting our your advancement enough. I know this first hand, when I got lucky on rolls and removed almost all of my basic strikes from a Silent deck, only to find myself unable to gather any damage cards and eventually just getting worn down because I couldn't attack enemies.

Strikes are good to get rid of if you're sitting on a lot of attacks, but I would never remove them early; I think the 'remove a card from your deck' at the start is actually a trap option, particularly with Ironclad, where you can end up in the Perfected Strike deck.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I mean yea, don't remove all of either type if you have not been picking up other defense/attack cards. If your first picks are all utility cards then you need to hold on to something to actually kill with.

EDIT: For Silent Footwork is one of the most insane cards you can get early on, and combos so well with a variety of block cards that Silent gets. You can quickly become invincible and take zero damage on every fight. I just added another win to my streak after getting a Footwork from the random rare card from the whale at the start and just grabbing a few of the block+draw cards and trimming out my basic blocks.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 23, 2018

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
If you're really just gunning for your first win or trying to streak the best way to go seems to be what I call the Paranoia deck--a thin deck that you can consistently see most of during a turn, loaded with draw/defense and 1-2 cards of unstoppable kill strategy (limit break or demon form for the ironclad, accuracy+ or noxious fumes for the silent).

I'll divert into meme strategies if I see a funny looking synergy because its fun, but honestly I lose a lot more deviating from that plan than I do following it.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
In general, removing strikes early is amazing on ironclad, which can coast on gaining great attack cards in the first act.

I'd be a little cautious about doing it too early on silent, which really wants to fish for footwork and cantrips in the first act, and doesn't want to draft attacks since they don't really help shivs or poison.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Cinara posted:

The most important thing is don't pick a card every time and remove your basic attack/defense cards asap. Unlike most card games you can actually play the same card twice in the same turn if you cycle through your deck, so a streamlined deck is a massive advantage. Only take cards that directly fit the strategy you are going for, especially once you're past the first area and should have a general idea of where your deck is headed.

Yep, this is the most important thing. Removing 1-2 cards from your deck are almost always the strongest whale options, for this reason.

my general tips:

always remove cards when it's an option. for ironclad, remove strike/defends at like a 1:1 ratio. for silent, you usually want to be removing all of your strikes ASAP, no burning blood and no good non-combo reliant damage options means you need to play durdly and slow most of the time.

always good ironclad cards: Offering, Uppercut, Dropkick, Shrug it Off
always good sentinel cards: Die Die Die, Adrenaline, Well-Laid Plans, Footwork, Dash, Backflip.

strong ironclad combos
- thin decks with dropkick. you can really, really easily infinite turn with this card if you get a. a second copy of it b. double tap or c. dual wield or d. pommel strike + any form of energy generation, such as sundial.
- dead branch + corruption. hands down the strongest and simplest combo in the game. why?

- literally any combination of armor cards and body slam. if you find an early metallicize or flame barrier, seriously consider removing all your strikes and picking up body slam to upgrade it to 0 mana cost ASAP.
- evolve is quite strong: the base form is misleading, the upgraded form makes you draw 2 cards. even if you can't get any exhaust/wound synergy going to run with it, it's quite often a 1 mana power that lets you draw 2 extra cards each turn.

strong silent combos
- any time you get tough bandages or tingsha, rejoice in having a straightforward easy run. just load your deck with a few dagger throws and collect reflex/tactician to taste, and you'll get crazy huge value off cards that are already above average. just don't fall for the eviscerate trap.
- most of the poison cards are kind of bad, but noxious fumes is the best one by a fairly large margin. if you can get two of them, you can virtually ignore most other attack cards and just focus on staying alive and everything will just die as you stack block all turn. be prepared for a lot of slow combats. also, you can kinda make crippling poison and poisoned stab work, but just don't take envenom. yikes.
- since silent is so combo reliant and defensively focused, you have to spend more time thinking about relic synergies. keep an eye out for letter openers, especially. +str and +dex effects are just drat good, if you ever get +str just grab all the shiv cards and coast through the game.
- in general, transform effects are much worse for silent than it is for ironclad.

Minera fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 23, 2018

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Ascension Mode (basically hard mode) is now live in the beta branch!

It's a toggled option once you've defeated all bosses. Right now it seems to have a stacking number of changes each time you clear it.

"1. Elites spawn more often.",
"2. Normal enemies are deadlier.",
"3. Elites are deadlier.",
"4. Bosses are deadlier.",
"5. Heal less after Boss battles.",
"6. Start each run damaged."

No idea if it goes further. Sounds fun as gently caress!

e: some more details from patch notes

quote:

The initial version of Ascension Mode is added into the game.
Current Max Level is 6, more to be added later!
Unlocking it requires defeating all 3 Beyond bosses.
Playing Ascension Mode does NOT affect your Win Streak or upload to Leaderboard.

Minera fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jan 23, 2018

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Any idea how hard is it to mod this game? I love to tinker with stuff just as much as I love deckbuilders. I'm getting this game either way, but just wondering.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

everyone in this thread: ironclad is easier

me: has won 2/3 as silent, and is 0/10 for ironclad...and counting

super fun game though I'LL FIGURE YOU OUT YET HIGH DAMAGE UNSAFE BIG SWORD GUY

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you want an easy win as Ironclad you can just go for something like a Perfect Strike build. Very easy to get powerful with common cards, and will probably carry you through the entire game fairly effortlessly.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I feel like this game needs to just give you an energy between acts or something. I don't get to really use any of the other Boss Relics because going into Act 2 with 3 energy was terrible (the RNG was not kind to me that run).

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Artelier posted:

Ironclad is very safe.
The most consistent way to win is to try and get either demon form or barricade as your win condition and just build as much block as you can around those. Demon form is a card that rewards turtling, not attacking recklessly. Same for barricade. Ramp up, and kill everything once you're buffed out of your mind.

If you can't get those, limit break+ + one (and only one, don't bloat your deck) source of strength works too. If you can't get limit break either, just pick up a spot weakness and a heavy blade, and if all else fails, double up on the block and go for high value attacks + body slams.

Combo builds are less consistent than just exhausting/destroying basic strikes/defends + picking up a lot of strong and efficient cards to drown out the lovely starter deck. Pick up a lot of shrug it off, pommel strikes, true grit+, flame barrier, uppercut, cleave ... and play to win. Don't pick up combo dependant cards unless you somehow already have enough pieces to make them work. Skipping a nightmare is perfectly fine if you have nothing to duplicate, for example. Don't skip a shrug it off in the first area just because you want to pick the shiny gold card instead. Build the deck you can build, not the deck you want.

General tips:

-Play defensively, the less you get hit, the less you need to rest.
-Campfires are the most important stops on your road, plan accordingly and make sure you can upgrade as much as you can. Upgrades win games far more consistently than random relics, which is why elite hunting, while fun, is usually not the optimal play. Only go for elites if it doesn't make you lose campfires, either by changing your path or forcing a rest because your deck wasn't strong enough to stomp the fight.
-Big decks are fine, so are smaller decks, the most important thing is to improve your chances of drawing useful stuff each turn.
-Take fights in the first area, avoid them in the second one because it's the most dangerous part of the game, and do whatever you want in the last stretch.
-Dex potions are very valuable, keep them for very tough elites or the final boss.
-If you have to rest, rest. Don't be greedy.

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 23, 2018

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks for the tips everyone! Although, before I read the tips, my next Ironclad run was a win. Still appreciate it! :)

I got the relic that lets me remove a card at every campfire early on, and I got offered 2 body slams early on, so it was very clear what I should do with this build. I ended up with 12 cards in my main deck, which were:
4 Defense+
2 Body Slam+ (that 0 mana is important)
1 Flame...thing. The one upgraded with 16 Block and deal 6 damage to anyone that attacks
3 Mettalize+
1+ of the power that says I take 1 damage to deal 4 damage to all enemies

So in actuality, after playing Powers I only had 7 cards. That was set in before the second boss, and after that every round was like 40+ armour. I think I only bought some random relics with all the gold I had in the third level, and every campfire was used to upgrade everything. I also had 5 Energy every round because I buffed all enemies by 2 Strength (doesn't matter that much with 40 armour every turn) and only 6 cards played allowed (no real need to cycle so no biggie)

Can't wait to try the other builds people have been using!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Artelier posted:

sounds like bad luck in that case. There's a lot of different builds that work but you need to actually go for a build and not "Oh that looks like a good card". Always think in terms of does it compliment your other abilities, and if not or if it's a minor benefit at best, pass on the card. Cards i usually consider regardless of build are draw multiples since that can help get your fight up and running quicker, and stuff that adds weak/vulns.

I think the game needs some way to get rid of weak/vuln status, since there is at the time nothing you can do about it. Even discard a card or something to lower the counter by one would help. (Elixirs only work on cards). It's usually stacking weak/vuln that make bosses so much more annoying and makes it seem super cheap.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I just wish there weren't multiple bosses in the game that clear poison part way through the fight. Champ, Time Eater, and Forsaken (Forgotten?) One all do it and I've lost a lot of Silent runs to them flushing a poison stack mid battle.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I picked this up yesterday in a bout of low willpower due to fever and spent most of my night playing it and I'm having a blast.

I actually had a really fun Ironclad deck that I hope I get to try again, I had two powers that did one damage to me every turn to do stuff (one was draw a card and one was do damage to all enemies) and another that increased my strength by one every time I took damage from a card. In the end I fell to card bloat (I had over 30 cards :stare:) one fight short of the final boss, who I feel I could have beaten if I had survived, but I definitely want to try it again. Outside of "don't take cards so much" how do you all get the money to ditch cards at the merchant?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Sloober posted:

I think the game needs some way to get rid of weak/vuln status, since there is at the time nothing you can do about it. Even discard a card or something to lower the counter by one would help. (Elixirs only work on cards). It's usually stacking weak/vuln that make bosses so much more annoying and makes it seem super cheap.

Technically there are relics that let you ignore weak/vuln, and I think there is a card for one of the guys that clears and exhausts. Poison doesn't care about your weak state, nor does other straight dmg stuff (reflect, powers, stuff like letter opener). At least for bosses I'm not really bothered much, but some of the late map encounters can get pretty stupid. In general I think some of the balance for random fights needs tweaking, but the bosses all have clearly gotten a lot.

@IcePheonix: generally the main way to keep deck size down is to be really picky about what cards you take, and hit up a lot of '?' events. A decent number of those can remove cards. In terms of removing cards at the merchant, I tend to prioritize buying good relics first so I don't end up removing many cards through him. If you get the peace pipe you can remove cards at a campfire.

Evolve might be the best ironclad card you can get. At minimum it removes the downsides of wounds, and the cards that generate wounds are very strong along with many enemies generating wounds as part of their deal. If you upgrade it then wound cards really read "draw 1 card" which is really good because he doesn't have many ways to draw cards. If you don't have evolve unlocked yet, upgraded true grit lets you pick the card to exhaust so it combos well with wound cards or just to remove strikes/defends.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Triple cultists is harder than most of the bosses

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

Technically there are relics that let you ignore weak/vuln, and I think there is a card for one of the guys that clears and exhausts. Poison doesn't care about your weak state, nor does other straight dmg stuff (reflect, powers, stuff like letter opener). At least for bosses I'm not really bothered much, but some of the late map encounters can get pretty stupid. In general I think some of the balance for random fights needs tweaking, but the bosses all have clearly gotten a lot.

I don't mean by lucking into it via relic either, even a potion would help.

I think the worst boss is actually one of the earliest ones - the big red gremlin guy. Lots of damage, punishes you for using block. He's really early on too usually so you dont have a lot of utility yet., same with the triple relic fight, which can also be an early one. They're all straight damage races when you typically have very little at your disposal

Xyven posted:

they're a treat for sure

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Avoid all elite fights unless you're absolutely sure you will murder them without losing too much hp. Campfires are much better.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Eraflure posted:

Avoid all elite fights unless you're absolutely sure you will murder them without losing too much hp. Campfires are much better.

It's about the balance of them being poor for where the are found, not strategy regarding how to play

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Do we know if the art is final yet? My only sorta complaint is the lack of animations is disappointing when the actual characters look so nice.

(E) and yeah, this would be absolutely perfect on a phone or tablet

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I don't know, most zone 2 encounters are more dangerous than the ones in the beyond, I don't think elites are the main problem here.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
How often are you having vs upgrading ideally?

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Xyven posted:

Turn one 15 9 and 13 damage queued up :rip:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Beasteh posted:

Turn one 15 9 and 13 damage queued up :rip:

sounds like the slavers

cultists always buff on turn one

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Do you always get Necronomicon out of the lore book encounter? That relic is insane and easily won me my last run because I could ~100 dmg AOE entire encounters with offering, offering, 7xWhirlwind+ twice pretty reliably and just cruised on through to the heart from early in the city.

What are some of the followup encounters? I don’t think I’ve ever had golden idol or red mask when I needed them for their specific encounters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

There are three different books.

Other followup stuff also includes the blood vial if you meet the blood enthusiasts.