Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Bob Morales posted:

We pay all of our bills late because out accounting department is full of slow senior citizens

Every other time we call a vendor for help "uhh you owe us $1200 we can't talk to you until..."
We had one client that couldn't get their financial poo poo together so we had to do that every single month for the time I was there. Made me feel good because they were dumbasses in other ways, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
The State department of Law enforcement can suck my dick. :mad:

My group operates the network for a ~250k resident municipality. Our entire WAN is dark fiber. Owned by us and nothing riding on it but our traffic. Criminal Justice data goes through the police department segment and out a special circuit and ASA owned by State law enforcement as well. There's other safeguards as well like Netsight policies that disallow non LEO subnets to see anything at the station as well. The police station connection to the 911 dispatch is also dark fiber. Someone decided they wanted a line to look different on their Visio so now we have to put firewalls on each end of those segments and back to the core or they will declare us non-compliant. Mind you these links are 10G and a 20G lag, so we have to put in beefy enough hardware to full-on encrypt at those speeds. Never mind that the application data itself is encrypted and over private fiber. It's a shitload of money and trouble for something that is encrypting already encrypted data. We can do it, but drat.

Welp, we just got a new monkey wrench to throw into this blender full of donkey gently caress. They want to stretch the virtual host clusters at the station and E911 to V-motion back and forth.

So we have to do a VXLAN between the two sites.
Encrypted through a couple of HA Checkpoint clusters (I'm not even sure you can tunnel through it that way)
At 10-20G Speeds.
And reliable enough for Public Safety.

What could possibly go wrong? :suicide:

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 23, 2018

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

We pay all of our bills late because out accounting department is full of slow senior citizens

I sit over the cube wall from the accountant, who has the CFOs office on the other side (we're a small company of 35 people) and every few weeks there's a "Uhh we paid X twice" or "I forgot to pay so-and-so's company card".

You have one job.

suuma fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 23, 2018

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Bob Morales posted:

Every other time we call a vendor for help "uhh you owe us $1200 we can't talk to you until..."

A company I worked for N jobs ago had this issue: couldn't get contract support on hardware and storage due to seriously unpaid invoices. Rumor was that they unofficially paid an engineer for the storage vendor to keep a key production storage array running (without which, the company's primary contract would fold.) It was the best sign to vacate that job. That and buying parts off eBay.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

18 Character Limit posted:

A company I worked for N jobs ago had this issue: couldn't get contract support on hardware and storage due to seriously unpaid invoices. Rumor was that they unofficially paid an engineer for the storage vendor to keep a key production storage array running (without which, the company's primary contract would fold.) It was the best sign to vacate that job. That and buying parts off eBay.

Isn't there some goon in ones of these IT threads that buys all his mission critical server hardware off of eBay?

That's some serious :psyduck:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Farking Bastage posted:

My group operates the network for a ~250k resident municipality. Our entire WAN is dark fiber. Owned by us and nothing riding on it but our traffic. Criminal Justice data goes through the police department segment and out a special circuit and ASA owned by State law enforcement as well. There's other safeguards as well like Netsight policies that disallow non LEO subnets to see anything at the station as well. The police station connection to the 911 dispatch is also dark fiber. Someone decided they wanted a line to look different on their Visio so now we have to put firewalls on each end of those segments and back to the core or they will declare us non-compliant. Mind you these links are 10G and a 20G lag, so we have to put in beefy enough hardware to full-on encrypt at those speeds. Never mind that the application data itself is encrypted and over private fiber. It's a shitload of money and trouble for something that is encrypting already encrypted data. We can do it, but drat.

Welp, we just got a new monkey wrench to throw into this blender full of donkey gently caress. They want to stretch the virtual host clusters at the station and E911 to V-motion back and forth.

Encrypted through a couple of HA Checkpoint clusters (I'm not even sure you can tunnel through it that way)
At 10-20G Speeds.

HAHAHAHAHA and here I am just trying to keep police officers from sharing passwords via email with other agencies.
Seriously though supporting LEO can be a terrible thing. It's funny, every time somebody wants something they run around shouting "CJIS COMPLIANCE!" or "PUBLIC SAFETY!!" and they get what they want. But they can't be arsed to lock their cars, or computers or not share passwords for no good goddamn reason.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Farking Bastage posted:

At 10-20G Speeds.

Do the encryption on something designed for this, like https://www.advaoptical.com/en/innovation/network-security

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

Isn't there some goon in ones of these IT threads that buys all his mission critical server hardware off of eBay?

The only time I've willingly bought company hardware from ebay was buying specific older mac pros that had PCIe slots for an ageing product photography camera.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Proteus Jones posted:

I suspect more than one.

Some jobs are there to teach you to recognize what a bad job is.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

18 Character Limit posted:

I suspect more than one.

Some jobs are there to teach you to recognize what a bad job is.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
It’s all coming to a head. Literally everyone in administration is jumping ship after the announcement that we are axing the art program so director won’t have to hire a new art teacher after the current one retires this year.

Everyone is just emailing each other potential jobs at a neighboring college at this point. I’ve got three applications in now.

:getin:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

larchesdanrew posted:

It’s all coming to a head. Literally everyone in administration is jumping ship after the announcement that we are axing the art program so director won’t have to hire a new art teacher after the current one retires this year.

Everyone is just emailing each other potential jobs at a neighboring college at this point. I’ve got three applications in now.

I am :ohdear: as gently caress. Best of luck dude, hope 2018 is :yotj: for you.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

larchesdanrew posted:

Start looting now, before all the good stuff is gone.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

Good luck!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BigDave posted:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

larchesdanrew posted:

A private STEM school with no loving art program. Yeah, everybody wants to pay for that!

My guess is that attendance will plummet over the next four years as new student intake dives, the director panics over his continued lack of a raise, budgets are slashed due to lack of attendance, and the school closes in 4.5 years. Good luck competing in the oversaturated market, even if those aren't IT employees you're competing against.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Judge Schnoopy posted:

A private STEM school with no loving art program. Yeah, everybody wants to pay for that!

I went to one and would send my kids to one, too. :shrug:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Judge Schnoopy posted:

My guess is that attendance will plummet over the next four years as new student intake dives, the director panics over his continued lack of a raise, budgets are slashed due to lack of attendance, and the school closes in 4.5 years. Good luck competing in the oversaturated market, even if those aren't IT employees you're competing against.

Huh, all this time I thought it was a public school.

Not sure if it being private makes all this better or worse.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I don't think public schools regularly have dorms, directors, and multi-building campuses.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I don't think public schools regularly have dorms, directors, and multi-building campuses.

American public, no, but British public schools do.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
a British "Public School" is equivalent to an American "Private School", No I don't know why it's like that.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This is not the norm, but I know of some public schools that serve rural areas that provide dorms because the kids would otherwise be travelling 100 miles each way every day.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kurieg posted:

a British "Public School" is equivalent to an American "Private School", No I don't know why it's like that.

Because they're "public" in the sense that they're open to students other than local kids, so a similar sense to "public house" (and equally archaic) rather than "publicly funded".

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Kurieg posted:

In England the "public" in "public school" refers to the fact that it's not limited to the nobility, any member of the public can pay to be educated there. ^^ oh nm, just me making up things

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

nielsm posted:

In England the "public" in "public school" refers to the fact that it's not limited to the nobility, any member of the public can pay to be educated there. ^^ oh nm, just me making up things

It's changed several times over the centuries so we're probably both right and both wrong!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The latter's pretty common at the high school level.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

BigDave posted:

Seriously, man, grab all the Buffalo stuff. I hear that poo poo is GOLDEN!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Farking Bastage posted:

At 10-20G Speeds.

All of that security... And it will be undone by a password taped to someone's monitor.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

stevewm posted:

All of that security... And it will be undone by a password taped to someone's monitor.

P@ssw0rd123

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Samizdata posted:

Seriously, man, grab all the Buffalo stuff. I hear that poo poo is GOLDEN!

I can't, I overfilled my truck and it crashed.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Farking Bastage posted:

At 10-20G Speeds.

This is retarded and I would give so much pushback over the safety issue in adding too many layers so that you exponentially increase points of failure.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Johnny Aztec posted:

Huh, all this time I thought it was a public school.

Not sure if it being private makes all this better or worse.

I always assumed it was a charter school from the massive amount of mismanagement that was going on.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

stevewm posted:

hunter2

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

BigDave posted:

P@ssw0rd123

My favorite user password is simple: 1fucker

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

@ssW0rd

Nobody will ever guess it, because nobody ever leaves the P off of Password!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Uhh Public schools have multiple buildings and directors, but I'll give you the dorms.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Maybe it's just a Midwest US thing but we call them superintendents, not directors.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yes, yes, it’s a regional dialect.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
A buffalo NAS!

In the year 2018,

At 96% capacity,

Localized as your entire DR infrastructure!

May I see it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What region?