Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I just got my membership last week, and I decided to go on a Saturday. Ho boy that was a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

therobit posted:

I hate the jug for costco milk so I just pay more at the grocery store. The flat top jug leaks all over.

The last four or six gallons I've purchased, the cap is torqued down HARD. I've had to use a pipe wrench to open it. The last one... two men, a pipe wrench, and the entire container was twisting before the cap finally broke free.

Just god drat.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Over There posted:

I just got my membership last week, and I decided to go on a Saturday. Ho boy that was a bad idea.

Treat that as a learning experience. Weeknights are best.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

The Midniter posted:

I've been buying Costco milk since I got my membership back in 2009 and I've never once had an issue or come anywhere close to spillage from the jug when I pour it. I have no idea what is wrong with all of you, but clearly Big Non-Costco Milk has gotten to you.

The broad lid is weird and bad for pouring+drinking from the jug, like not end of the world and I still buy them, but regular jugs are better.

The saving is worth the minor inconvenience and I understand why they made them more rectangular for shipping efficiency. Plus it's good milk that lasts forever.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I had to google what you're talking about and I've never seen those jugs before at my Costco, we just have normal jugs sold in a cardboard box as a two pack.

Suck it flat jug havers.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
For those who don't know what we're talking about :

They sell these (the ones on the right) in 2 packs wrapped by plastic, not in a box. The design is obviously so they can stack em more efficiently in their shipping trucks.

The picture actually does a good job of highlighting the problem because you can see the opening is deformed slightly away from the direction you wanna pour, which is common and makes it p easy to spill. They're manageable but less convenient.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
wtf i have never seen a jug like that before lmao

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I only buy almond milk because my wife is allergic to dairy and soy

Costco has it for decent price!!

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Costco dogs are the best. But only at the Kirkland location. Or at least that's the only one I've ever got a Costco dog at.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

"whoa, lots of new posts in the Costco thread"

Oh it's just like 9 pages of milkchat.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Kilo147 posted:

Costco dogs are the best. But only at the Kirkland location. Or at least that's the only one I've ever got a Costco dog at.

Kirkland is a real place???? is it like heaven?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Nah. It's pretty dull. Lived here all my life. We have a bar with indoor mini-golf though. Which is pretty rad.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Hypnolobster posted:

"whoa, lots of new posts in the Costco thread"

Oh it's just like 9 pages of milkchat.

what else would you really expect from the costco thread.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

ArbitraryC posted:

what else would you really expect from the costco thread.

9 pages of dog chat (thinking about them dogs).

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
thinkin bout thos dogs

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
[quote="“Chinatown”" post="“480596031”"]
thinkin bout thos dogs
[/quote]

Better than eating fresh, the anti-sacrament!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Thinking about those ice cream sundaes.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I'm pretty sure that's how the Kirkland Signature got it's name. I heard the story a long time ago so I might slightly off, but I believe Kirkland was the location of Costco's first headquarters, and when they were trying to come up with a name for their brand someone Jim Sinegal was talking to said something along the lines of "dude, why don't you just call it Kirkland?"

And as for milk chat, those jugs are terrible. And it's not just the members that hate them, it's a pain for the employees as well. My Costco refuses to accept a couple pallets of milk every week because of leaking jugs. They check every single pallet that comes in and Costco's policy is that if they see a pallet with leakers in it they give the delivery driver the option to restack the pallet and take out the leaking ones, and if he doesn't want to do it they make him take it back.

You really have to be sure to keep those milk jugs upright. The most common reason for them to leak is if they're kept on their side for even a littlle bit.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Hot take: organic often tastes better, has less added bullshit

Heinz organic vs original Heinz is perfect example.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

You're using ketchup as your example? Nice.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Agreed. See also peanut butter.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Also we have Juanita Beach. It's nice to walk around, but I don't recommend going in it. There's basically always a sewage leak or something

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Infidel Castro posted:

I wish my funeral to be at Costco. Mourners will roll my casket through the store and throw free samples into it. Finally, it will stop at the food court for one last $1.50 dog before hauling my dead rear end to the cemetery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZmxZThb084

My very dear Costco: The indications are very strong that I shall try to eat 3 Dogs again — perhaps tomorrow. Lest I should not be able to write again, I feel impelled to write a few lines that may fall under your eye when I shall be no more …

I have no misgivings about, or lack of confidence in the cause in which I am engaged, and my courage does not halt or falter. I know how strongly the Executive Membership now leans on the triumph of the free refill and how great a debt we owe to those who went before us through the blood and sufferings of "Sam's Club". And I am willing — perfectly willing — to lay down all my joys in this life, to buy 3 Dogs and eat them, and to pay that debt …

Costco my love for you is deathless, it seems to bind me with mighty cables that nothing but Omnipotence could break; and yet my love of deals comes over me like a strong wind and bears me unresistibly on with all these chains to the food court.

The memories of the blissful moments I have spent with you come creeping over me, and I feel most gratified to God and to you that I have enjoyed them for so long. And hard it is for me to give them up and burn to ashes the hopes of future years, when, God willing, we might still have lived and loved together, and seen our sons grown up to Executive Membership, around us. I have, I know, but few and small claims upon Divine Providence, but something whispers to me — perhaps it is the wafted prayer of PBUC, that I shall return to my loved ones unharmed. If I do not my dear Costco, never forget how much I love you, and when my last breath escapes me in the food court, it will whisper your name. Forgive my many faults and the many pains I have caused you. How thoughtless and foolish I have often times been! How gladly would I wash out with my tears every little spot upon your happiness …

But, O Costco! If the dead can come back to this earth and flit unseen around those they loved, I shall always be near you; in the busiest days and in the quietest nights … always, always, and if there be a soft breeze upon your doors, it shall be my breath, as the cool air fans your take and bake pizzas, it shall be my spirit passing by. Costco do not mourn me dead; think I am gone and wait for thee, for we shall meet again …

----

Sullivan Ballou died a week later at the Costco food court, his belly full, July 21, 2061.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

ArbitraryC posted:

The design is obviously so they can stack em more efficiently in their shipping trucks.
It's more rectangular/cylindrical and less jug- like shape fits more efficiently in my fridge, so suck it, I like it.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

For those who don't know what we're talking about :

They sell these (the ones on the right) in 2 packs wrapped by plastic, not in a box. The design is obviously so they can stack em more efficiently in their shipping trucks.

The picture actually does a good job of highlighting the problem because you can see the opening is deformed slightly away from the direction you wanna pour, which is common and makes it p easy to spill. They're manageable but less convenient.

That picture is triggering me

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002
I can never use all of the milk up anyway, so I just pour about 1/8 of the jug down the drain when I first open it so that subsequent pours are easy peasy. :ssh:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I lived in Kirkland for a number of years and loved it. Then again I'm from Wisconsin. And now I'm back in Wisconsin. I'm not happy.

Regarding organic, yeah it's 100% a scam but the Kirkland Organic Olive Oil is the real deal. And by real I mean it's 100% olive oil. I'm not going to do the research now but something like 90% of all olive oil in the US is blends of some crazy poo poo like other types of oils.

Of course Costco gives us the one and true oil from the best olives of the sacred land.

PBUC.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I wish they didn't call it an Italian sausage sandwich. If I get an all beef hot dog with kraut they don't call it an all beef hot dog sandwich.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I lived in Kirkland for a number of years and loved it. Then again I'm from Wisconsin. And now I'm back in Wisconsin. I'm not happy.

Regarding organic, yeah it's 100% a scam but the Kirkland Organic Olive Oil is the real deal. And by real I mean it's 100% olive oil. I'm not going to do the research now but something like 90% of all olive oil in the US is blends of some crazy poo poo like other types of oils.

Of course Costco gives us the one and true oil from the best olives of the sacred land.

PBUC.

What part of Kirkland were you in?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I'm all for reducing the number of ingredients on the back of the label. Organic peanut butter being "just peanuts and salt" is alot better than the skippy poo poo with hydrogenated oil and sugar in it. Organic honey or maple syrup means getting real stuff instead of HFCS flavored stuff. Great.

Milk for the most part is just milk. Organic or not. In fact the Kirkland organic milk adds fish oil to it, which good for you or not might make it less organic than regular milk.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Kilo147 posted:

What part of Kirkland were you in?

I lived in unincorporated Kirkland down the road from The Game (if it's still there). They annexed that I believe. Then I lived in some apartments in Juanita right near the beach.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
While organic is bullshit a lot of organic producers sell products with less filler garbage ingredients, so you get things like ketchup that tastes like tomatoes.

They are not better products because they are organic, they are just better products.

I'm waiting for the day when some company advertises their GMO super antiorganic food that's made with simple ingredients and all the other calling cards of the organic movement so I can buy all of their stuff

Math You fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 24, 2018

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

CostCo is great if you're learning how to smoke brisket, you can get a loving ton of brisket for like $40

I'm learning how to smoke some choice meats for my bros, and CostCo lets me do an experiment every weekend almost, without breaking the bank

I'm getting PRETTY GOOD, done like 5 smokes so far.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Sometimes (not always) CostCo even sells the exact electric smoker I use. I bought mine from Home Depot cuz CostCo briefly stopped carrying it,it went out of season I guess??

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Anyway Costco is turning me into a BBQ chef, and I am grateful because one day I will impress everyone with my tasty brisket.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Math You posted:

While organic is bullshit a lot of organic producers sell products with less filler garbage ingredients, so you get things like ketchup that tastes like tomatoes.

They are not better products because they are organic, they are just better products.

I'm waiting for the day when some company advertises their GMO super antiorganic food that's made with simple ingredients and all the other calling cards of the organic movement so I can buy all of their stuff
This is exactly right

also adam's is just peanut butter and salt without the organic surcharge, (though I believe they do have an organic set too), and it is in fact delicious.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

smoobles posted:

I'm learning how to smoke some choice meats for my bros

may allah bless you on your divine quest

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Picked up the beef bulgogi in the deli tonight, excited to give it a whirl for dinner tomorrow.

Naturally I also took communion of the Polish + Mug Root Beer before departing.

No matter how hard the City of Kirkland tries, they can't keep Juanita Beach from becoming a algae-ridden mess.

LoonyLeif
Jul 17, 2001

You know, if Dave Thomas is really dead, then how does he keep coming out with all these new sandwiches?
Those milk jugs are terrible and they have a much higher center of gravity, meaning you have to work a lot more to get em out of the fridge.

Also I have no idea why but the milk at my Costco expires just one week after purchase. "I'll chance it," I say, and let it go a week. Never again. That milk was foul. Going to Aldi from now on for milk that lasts two months; it must be irradiated or some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I've had like the exact opposite experience tbh, not only are the costco exp dates usually like a month out in the first place, you can drink the milk for like a week after that.