Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

The Management posted:

no idea if this will succeed in this market, but that’s how Apple plays.

this all makes sense but “little speaker i can ask things that plays music badly” is not something i can see ever wanting to have.

i am sure it will make money but i dont understand why someone would want this device in this form factor to begin with when you can just get a real stereo and have better sound or talk to your phone if you want siri/alexa/whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

get a real stereo with speakers and plug your existing appletv into it. bam done problem solved.

that’s what I was gonna do but then that rear end in a top hat Tim said the HomePod would come out REAL SOON and here we are a year later

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

unrelated, have you ever tried a/ux on your quadro?

our own Lain put it on her Quadra 800 back in the fall. can't find the relevant tweets atm

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

this all makes sense but “little speaker i can ask things that plays music badly” is not something i can see ever wanting to have.

i am sure it will make money but i dont understand why someone would want this device in this form factor to begin with when you can just get a real stereo and have better sound or talk to your phone if you want siri/alexa/whatever.
people don't want or have room for a real stereo everywhere they want to listen to music. this isn't really rocket science.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

I agree, especially since Siri is still bad. but then you said “real stereo” which rings a lot like “real computer”, versus something you plop on your shelf and it just works, which makes me think they’re on to something.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

amazon has sold somewhere in the vicinity of 5 million echos going into this past holiday. regardless of your personal desire for one, there's clearly a market there. whether apple is entering too little too late is another question is entirely

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

yeah, the success of the echo and to a lesser extent sonos shows you that there very much is a market for 'small speaker that plays things and sometimes you can ask it things it wont know the answer to probably'

but hey you know what that market wants? to play their spotify poo poo.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

The Management posted:

I agree, especially since Siri is still bad. but then you said “real stereo” which rings a lot like “real computer”, versus something you plop on your shelf and it just works, which makes me think they’re on to something.

fair enough.

might be a nice speaker for a bathroom or kitchen or something, but i would be way more autistic about a living room stereo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

fair enough.

might be a nice speaker for a bathroom or kitchen or something, but i would be way more autistic about a living room stereo.
yeah, well, for neurotypicals, it probably falls well into "good enough" or at least "better than my tv speakers"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ufarn posted:

the homepod makes perfect sense, except apple have fumbled all of siri, iot, and apple music

lol

can’t fumble before the snap

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

actually I really really desire a HomePod because I’ve realized I’ve been listening to music on headphones for far too long

visiting a friend who had an old timey vynil player with a kickass set of speakers made me feel bad
get kickass speakers then instead of a middlin beamforming surveillance microphone

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ios 11.2 and a half: imessages will now return to sequential time

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

thank christ, that bug has been driving me up a goddamn wall

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
:same:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

lol nm

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

about loving time. did they ever fix this on macOS because it’s been happening for years.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

Siri is so so bad.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

The Management posted:

about loving time. did they ever fix this on macOS because it’s been happening for years.

looks like it

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i used to get that problem a lot when imessage first came out for macs but i haven't seen it in forever

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

my receiver is an airplay endpoint and it owns, turns itself on and everything when I hit play in the itunes remote app on my phone, once airplay 2 hits I'll be able to sync it with the sonos in my bedroom for maximum pleasure

:same:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

cis autodrag posted:

Siri is so so bad.

you know I feel like it’s actually getting worse? I mean Siri sounds better but seems to miss more stuff lately, or doesn’t get my meaning... or maybe just been standing still for so long

but google voice works amazing for whatever I say

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
are the poverty-level sonos play:1 speakers going to have airplay 2 capability? I was reading the official sonos forum thing and they said it’s questionable, as we have no idea how good or bad the chipset is inside. airplay 2 is supposed to be 100% software based so it’s possible they can upgrade them, but I have little hope considering it’s the entry level product. (though someone on the forums claims that bose’s alarm clock will be airplay 2 compatible so it’d be shameful as all hell if sonos can’t get it to work)

also I’m not buying sonos one because hahahaha gently caress if you think I’m going to let amazon dot loving com listen inside my house. :tinfoil:

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Management posted:

okay, let me spell it out for you guys. this is Apple doing what they do on every product ever. they are only targeting the highest end first. if that catches on they will move down market.

I’m not saying the HomePod is any good. I don’t know but I’m guessing it isn’t. but what has happened is that Apple has created a price ceiling for everyone else. you can’t be more expensive than Apple.

people that buy the cheapest thing, and there are many of those, are going to get the no margin echo dot and google home mini. people that have money and spend it on good quality stuff (audio in this case) are going to buy the HomePod. just like iPods and watches and phones and tablets and laptops and streaming boxes. they’re going to suck up all of the dollars in the market despite shipping much fewer units than their competitors.

this already kills the google home large speaker. why would anyone buy that when they can have a HomePod? and some competing products that undoubtedly sonos and others were working on. and if there is a sufficient market for it, I’m sure they’ll have a cheaper version out soon, moving the ceiling lower, squeezing everyone else down, making it so only ad or membership-subsidized cheap poo poo devices are profitable to sell (see android). Apple wants all the hardware dollars, the rest is for the other guys to fight over.

no idea if this will succeed in this market, but that’s how Apple plays.

This is me. I actually had Sonos, with a Playbar and two Play:1s in a multi-room setup, but the app loving sucks and the multi-room audio was always slightly out of sync, enough to make the whole thing more trouble than it was worth for me. With that said, I'm prepared for a 1.0 disappointment.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
apple is diving headfirst in to a technologically ill-conceived and functionally half-baked market in some desperate attempt to be the also-ran because of tim's gnawing fear of missing out?

the devil you say

pram
Jun 10, 2001
unprecedented

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ew is that a physical connection?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

post the ipod socks

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

loving finally

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i really want the homepod but after having a terribad experience with the apple watch for a few days i’m gonna hold out until i see some reviews

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i really want the homepod but after having a terribad experience with the apple watch for a few days i’m gonna hold out until i see some reviews

did you ditch it after a few days of resolve the problems

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

cinci zoo sniper posted:

did you ditch it after a few days of resolve the problems

i returned it because they removed the main feature i lusted for in an update, picking music stored on my phone using it, to push the 3g edition, and the workout tracking was really quite underwhelming

also it fought with my phone a lot for control of my bluetooth headphones, leading to a lot of jittery audio

basically it was real bad

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i returned it because they removed the main feature i lusted for in an update, picking music stored on my phone using it, to push the 3g edition, and the workout tracking was really quite underwhelming

also it fought with my phone a lot for control of my bluetooth headphones, leading to a lot of jittery audio

basically it was real bad

:rip: im kind of entertained by the idea, but i guess ill hold out for now

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i really wanted to like it and it looked and felt real nice but at the end of the day charging another device every night was just not worth the hassle with the small amount of features i got in return, and not being able to do the most obvious thing of scrolling through your phone music on it just felt like a huge gently caress you from timb

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i really wanted to like it and it looked and felt real nice but at the end of the day charging another device every night was just not worth the hassle with the small amount of features i got in return, and not being able to do the most obvious thing of scrolling through your phone music on it just felt like a huge gently caress you from timb

thats super loving dumb that you cant even use it for music normally

Wheel! Of! 4chan!
Nov 28, 2007
The voice is white, erasing mine

cinci zoo sniper posted:

thats super loving dumb that you cant even use it for music normally

watchos 4 is worse in pretty much every way, it’s incredible

ufarn
May 30, 2009
missed that apple also still won't be releasing airplay 2 which was announced summer 2017, smh

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

pram posted:

unprecedented

the sound from this thing whipped rear end.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
HomeKit is actually great because it’s the only thing out there which actually gives a poo poo about granting access to other people.
Want your friend to be able to control the lights (but not when they’re outside your network)? Done.
Grant your girlfriend the ability to control poo poo and revoke it easily when you get dumped.
By extension the automation it can do is significantly less stupid, such as turning everything off only when the last person leaves, so you don’t suddenly get plunged into darkness

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
homekit is the only iot framework i would actually trust without doing a masters degree in iot frameworks but that doesn’t say anything about the homepod as a product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Apple Watch is cool because it’s like hey wouldn’t it be awesome if all the useless, spammy push notifications you got on your phone were now suddenly pushed to wrist instead, with the option of either impossible to notice haptics or impossible to ignore haptics? And wouldn’t it be cool if the only way to see what was tapping your wrist all the time was to have to flick your wrist in such a way that you look like a jackass to the other human beings you were talking to? And wouldn’t it be great if the only way to tame the nonsense was to spend more time flipping switches in the watch app than a Linux user spends configuring their OS? And wouldn’t it be super cool if there was a round hardware button and a long hardware button that both basically do the same thing but not quite because oops Jony bet big on Sprint and Google’s circle of friends feature and now they have to desperately redesign the OS every year to try to fix a hardware design flaw?