Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Here's a spotify playlist I've had saved for ages of Person of Interest music: https://open.spotify.com/user/wraithgar/playlist/1EZ1hHOePPnRI7izyqZMEg

I literally just finished a rewatch of the whole series a month or so ago and I'm tempted to start it all over again if there's going to be a bunch of discussion in here about it. It's a drat good show

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
Oh man, POI just keeps getting better from where you are.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Whelp I just watched the next episode and didn’t think anything could possibly top Fuscoe’s heroic act of defiance but here we are and now I need to go lie down.

I’m so glad Taraji is getting the recognition she deserves in her new film

Edit: holy poo poo Reese’s face in the next episode is terrifying. I have felt at many times during the show that Reese is simply playing a caricature of himself, basically an incredibly soft spoken, gravel voiced Archer that reads as sweet instead of mean. Like when he slips the photo into the hacker dad’s hand while taking the gun away. I was floored... and now he is out for blood and Simmons is going to get hosed the gently caress up I think.

Also Elias is like the coolest mob boss character. This show really does a number of classical noir tropes and every being today turvy reads as something with a very unified vision. Consistency is the most important part of Science-Fiction; if you break your own rules, why even set them up in the first place? Elias being consistently brilliant and fearless and honorbound while also being super ruthless is dope and rivals D’onofrio’s Kingpin for loving sweet mob bosses

OMG I just realized: Reese knew the exact moment he fell in love with Carter. It was when she used his own grenade launcher to steal a Russian mafia don’s drug shipment to start a turf war with dirty cops. you can see it in his eyes.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 30, 2017

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Re: Reese and Carter (big spoilers for her arc): The kiss was unscripted and neither actor viewed it as romantic, just a show of a deep connection under stress where both of them didn't feel like they'd make it out alive. Reese is certainly not a non-sexual character (see: Zoe, fridged girlfriend whose name I forget), but he really doesn't know how to deal with a strong emotional connection and it came out like that.

Re: Taraji: She was leaving the show for Empire, which started around that time -- I really doubt she would've been written off like she was if it wasn't for that. For a while it was Fusco who was going to die in the arc and I do wish I could've seen the alternate version of the show with her sticking around instead of him, as much as I love Fusco.

Would it be worth resurrecting a Person of Interest rewatch/watch for the first time thread? It's not like much else will be happening in this thread until Westworld starts back up, of course.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I will chat about PoI all loving day dude. Finding out the kids is unscripted is stunning. He’s such an amazing actor for taking such a paper thin trope and working so many levels into his performance.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

May as well use this thread, it’s Tumbleweedworld right now until the show starts or some news comes out

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
If anyone else is itching to read some other liveblogging of PoI, there's a dude called Mark Oshiro who does it basically as a career and I've been reading his stuff for ages (and done a lot of rewatches alongside him). He's going to hit the final episodes next week, so here's a link to his first post on it: http://markwatches.net/reviews/category/person-of-interest/page/11/

Bust Rodd posted:

I will chat about PoI all loving day dude. Finding out the kids is unscripted is stunning. He’s such an amazing actor for taking such a paper thin trope and working so many levels into his performance.

It's kind of ridiculous how far Caviezel takes the character from what seemed like a really basic sketch at the start of the series, yeah. I don't want to say too much other than 'keep watching' but you don't know the half of it regarding the depth he puts into Reese.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
Awesome. Thanks for sharing that blog. And for you still watching through, don't spoil yourself!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I thought there had been some information drop about Season 2 but its just a load of spoilers for a different show. :hfive:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

TTerrible posted:

I thought there had been some information drop about Season 2 but its just a load of spoilers for a different show. :hfive:

It's the show that Nolan did before Westworld, which you should watch. Also the last few posts specifically addressed maybe moving discussion to its own thread and everyone going 'eh it's fine' so :hfive:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Oh poo poo, the thread elders discussed it? I missed that. Cool.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I heard someone say Weedworld?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Caufman posted:

I heard someone say Weedworld?

:ca:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Thanks for posting this, it’s amazing and should go in the OP.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

OP updated

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yo that thread was a riot and I really hope we get another one for season 2

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
I finished the first season of Person of Interest on the many recommendations in this thread. I love it so far and you guys are saying it's going to get better later on? I'm down.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

theCalamity posted:

I finished the first season of Person of Interest on the many recommendations in this thread. I love it so far and you guys are saying it's going to get better later on? I'm down.

It only escalates from there! Buckle in.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I got my parents into it.

They're a little over halfway through S3 and to quote my 74 year old mom, "It's starting to get a bit weird". But she's hanging in there. And SUPER mad about Carter.

My dad absolutely loves it and how it subverts the usual episodic procedural.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

On Season 2 Episode 1 now and it’s getting hype as gently caress

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

theCalamity posted:

On Season 2 Episode 1 now and it’s getting hype as gently caress

Just noticed this post by itself bumping the thread and thought it was about Westworld :smith:

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS

theCalamity posted:

Same! I’ve watched 4.5 seasons in a fortnight. Such a loving great show! Really really enjoying it.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Just got done with Endgame and it was amazing. I slept on this show because I just thought it was just another dumb procedural on CBS. But drat, that was some good television. What a great send off.

I also saw the opening for the next episode and it’s even more amazing. Nolan and his team are wonderful.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The crazy thing about person of interest imonis that the main character is played by Jesus from the passion of Christ. And that he nearly died multiple times making it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Jose posted:

The crazy thing about person of interest imonis that the main character is played by Jesus from the passion of Christ. And that he nearly died multiple times making it

There's some really great blooper reels for the series and my favorite thing from them is that Taraji would call him Jesus regularly on set apparently

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://twitter.com/HBO/status/960333401747345411

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

April!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Nice trailer, though I hope s2 is more than just carnage everywhere.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

When did this show come out? I thought i wasn't going to see it this soon.

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008
Wow, great trailer. Whats up with that Vitruvian Man from the intro? Do we need spoiler tags for the discussion of this trailer?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm guessing that's what what's his face was creating in that basement.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Season 2 looks dope.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I couldn't place the music in the trailer, but it sounded familiar - anyone know what it was? The piano "Easter eggs" were one of my favorite things about the show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Medullah posted:

I couldn't place the music in the trailer, but it sounded familiar - anyone know what it was? The piano "Easter eggs" were one of my favorite things about the show.

It's Kayne West's Runaway., isn't it?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's Kayne West's Runaway., isn't it?

I think so. Was that song sampling something?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Dayymmmm that freaky soldier looking thing behind Bernard at 0:47 :stare:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Entropic posted:

I think so. Was that song sampling something?

According to whosampled, the piano hook that you're likely thinking about is original to the song..

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I was like "lol the first 3 piano notes sound like that kanye song, but then it does someting else"

then halfway through I remembered this show does old timey covers of modern songs and thought oh I wonder what actual song it is, then I realized it was the kanye

Even the robot animals are in the rebellion! What's up with that party where everyone seems frozen? Does it elude to more than just the park being robots - that a ritzy party is actually part of the simulation? How many layers are there? You go to the park but really even your outside life was part of the game? And you're goal is to keep getting out and out and out each layer at a time?

It'd be like a fitting way to end lost - an inception levely sort of vacation you put yourself in.

the kanye song was used on the trailer to the bbc bitter lake trailer but all their audio has been taken down :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzeiA5MkTXw&t=14s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqpwDJpI3Rc

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 5, 2018

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

They did a good job at messing with my expectations in how they altered that song for the trailer. The first 4 notes are really recognizable, but by playing the first 2 or 3, then swithcing to the chorus it through all of us off.

The name is runaway, which is really interesting thematically to what would be going on in Westworld. Who is running away? Who are the jerk offs? whose email has dick picks in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

KoRMaK posted:

Even the robot animals are in the rebellion! What's up with that party where everyone seems frozen?

Well that's Ben Barnes in the scene (and I can't quite tell if that's Tellulah Riley as well, could go either way). Occam's Razor suggests it's more flashbacks with the brother-in-law.