Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm on 5 calls all the time, so $100 sounds right to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm on 5 calls all the time, so $100 sounds right to me.

I pay for one line and say it costs $100.

I love my extra $80/mo

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hey Jive actually looks pretty good. We won't have to replace a bunch of handsets either, just change a string in our DHCP server.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
We're actually looking to move off our MSP VoIP solution + O365 Skype IM + Zoom (and we have some Zoom conference rooms now too) and move to a unified messaging platform like Ringcentral. Anyone compared Ringcentral to Jive? Any bad experiences with Ringcentral? Money isn't an issue. I understand Ringcentral's online meeting/phone conferencing solution is running on Zoom too which we liked.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
woohoo! Had my first annual review this morning, then the bosses took me out to lunch at Kyoto. Got bumped from $16/hr to $18/hr. :)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Depending on tips, your servers at lunch may make more money than you.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Fool posted:

gently caress off, I was feeling good. rear end.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Fair enough. You got a raise and a free lunch, it's a good thing.

But you're still underpaid.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

The Fool posted:

This was savage and brilliant.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This was savage and brilliant.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Congrats on your raise but stay hungry.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Vargatron posted:

At what he's getting paid, he's probably used to being hungry by now.

Is it? Is this anywhere near The Fool's burn?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
jeez this place is mean today

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Servers at lunch should make good money. They have to endure a lot more than most goon IT people.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Vargatron posted:

Yeah, I'm making them pay for study materials and cert exams. Once I've got most of what I want, I start looking for good bucks. $18's a new high for me, and it's going to help quite a bit though.

alg posted:

Servers at lunch should make good money. They have to endure a lot more than most goon IT people.

While completely true, it's a lovely thing to point out as the first response to someone being happy at a good review and a wage boost.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's a joke. Be happy for your raise, it was not an insignificant one. Congrats!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Yeah. God I hate voip.
lovely VoIP sucks and there are a lot of lovely products out there, but VoIP is a magical land of fairies and unicorns compared to traditional telecom. Anyone buying proprietary phone systems (including non-SIP VoIP) in modern times is getting screwed.

That said...

Thanks Ants posted:

Phones should be bought from somebody else and supported by not you.
is exactly correct.

It's easy to set up a FreePBX box, and it'll work great until it doesn't. If phones are important to your business you want to be sure that the person whose rear end is in the fire when it doesn't work knows what they're doing.

edit: Not to discourage anyone interested in learning about VoIP from doing so though, if you want to learn there's no better way than running a couple of phones at home or even an experimental system in the tech office at your work, just don't have your first experience be attempting to maintain a production system.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 23, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

"Hawaii's governor couldn't correct the false missile alert sooner because he forgot his Twitter password"

:tif:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Avenging_Mikon posted:

While completely true, it's a lovely thing to point out as the first response to someone being happy at a good review and a wage boost.
Ahh come on, we're all friends here, it was all in good fun. Come on, bring it in, let's hug, come on.

mewse
May 2, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Ahh come on, we're all friends here, it was all in good fun. Come on, bring it in, let's hug, come on.

I feel this poster is making the thread a hostile environment by asking me to hug him

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Phones are one of those horrible things that are unimportant until they are suddenly essential - which means if you want to DIY it you won't get the budget required to do it properly, but you'll goddam hear about it if things aren't working. Just feign ignorance and slap a vendors quote down on your bosses desk - you don't know anything about telecoms, in the same way you know nothing about how to dig in a fibre to your building, but hey I found these guys that can help.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

woohoo! Had my first annual review this morning, then the bosses took me out to lunch at Kyoto. Got bumped from $16/hr to $18/hr. :)

May I ask what you do, and where you're located? I work, aka hate my life, at geek squad for 16.50 (and I had to kiss a lot of rear end to get that) in Los Angeles. I'm at my breaking point dealing with retail coworkers and customers, I'm only there for a couple more months tops, but I'm trying to get a feel for how much I should be expecting next.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

If you're making 16-18 bucks an hour out of college, it's standard for an entry level gig. But past like 3 years of experience, you should start getting into the 20s*.

*depending on your location/cost of living

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
RE: phone support, this is a ticket just came in:

quote:

My telephone, in my cubicle, has not functioned properly since I started [here], 4 years ago.
Last year, my telephone was replaced, with a brand new one.

That's the entirety of the ticket, no actual details. Luckily we have a dedicated phone person, so I don't have to deal with this one.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009

Hungry Computer posted:

RE: phone support, this is a ticket just came in:

That's the entirety of the ticket, no actual details. Luckily we have a dedicated phone person, so I don't have to deal with this one.

I get tickets like this and inevitably after the four years this would be the very first time the user has actually told anyone

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
In the absence of raises I supplement my income with points in my Amazon account.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Nitramster posted:

May I ask what you do, and where you're located? I work, aka hate my life, at geek squad for 16.50 (and I had to kiss a lot of rear end to get that) in Los Angeles. I'm at my breaking point dealing with retail coworkers and customers, I'm only there for a couple more months tops, but I'm trying to get a feel for how much I should be expecting next.

Edmonton, Canada. So not really comparable to LA at all unfortunately. It's also my first actual IT gig. Prior job experience is, newest to oldest:
1. Staples tech department, sales and break/fix
2. College dorm front desk worker
3. Editorial assistant at a university publisher
4. Movie theatre worker.

So my official experience is 365 days in applicable IT environments, and I have a degree in Professional Communications. My applicable IT training is a CompTIA A+ certificate and a half-read Powershell in a Month of lunches book.

Vargatron posted:

If you're making 16-18 bucks an hour out of college, it's standard for an entry level gig. But past like 3 years of experience, you should start getting into the 20s*.

*depending on your location/cost of living

Yeah, that sounds about right. If the raise matrix they gave me holds, I'd be at $20/hr in my 3rd year, if I stayed here. And we all know the best salary boosts come from when you hop to a new company, so by 3rd year I'll likely be looking for a new position to grow in to.

Btw, if any of you fuckers doxx me with the information I put above, I will cut you. :p

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I wouldn't worry about it too much, Ryan.

e:

Avenging_Mikon posted:

So my official experience is 365 days in applicable IT environments, and I have a degree in Professional Communications. My applicable IT training is a CompTIA A+ certificate and a half-read Powershell in a Month of lunches book.

I actually thought you had a longer resume based on assumptions made from your posting history.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 23, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Edmonton, Canada. So not really comparable to LA at all unfortunately. It's also my first actual IT gig. Prior job experience is, newest to oldest:
1. Staples tech department, sales and break/fix
2. College dorm front desk worker
3. Editorial assistant at a university publisher
4. Movie theatre worker.

Yeah, that sounds about right. If the raise matrix they gave me holds, I'd be at $20/hr in my 3rd year, if I stayed here. And we all know the best salary boosts come from when you hop to a new company, so by 3rd year I'll likely be looking for a new position to grow in to.

Btw, if any of you fuckers doxx me with the information I put above, I will cut you. :p

I'm in Winnipeg and $18 seems pretty ok for entry level in Edmonton

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

mewse posted:

I'm in Winnipeg

:yikes:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Don't touch me, I do not like it

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Fool posted:

e:

I actually thought you had a longer resume based on assumptions made from your posting history.

I talk a big drat game, but I’m actually a newbie at being a professional.

We cool, sorry I flipped.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I was specifically requested to wear a tie today and turns out I have no dress shirts I can do the top button on nor do I even own a blazer and I have exactly one barely passable suit I bought at Macy's, ask me about still not being professional at 36.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My place finally changed the dress code so I don't have to wear a loving tie everyday and dry clean my poo poo and oh god it's the only thing that kept me for rage-quitting recently.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Avenging_Mikon posted:

It was a sick and savage burn, but probably not that bad really. Yeah, your server may have made more, but he works a hell of a lot harder and has zero upward mobility. You are entry level, and I think $18/hr is pretty good for one year of experience.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Dick Trauma posted:

In the absence of raises I supplement my income with points in my Amazon account :airquote:surplus:airquote: and :airquote:e-waste:airquote: equipment and hardware

Internet Explorer posted:

My place finally changed the dress code so I don't have to wear a loving tie everyday and dry clean my poo poo and oh god it's the only thing that kept me for rage-quitting recently.

Ask me about having to wear a dress shirt and tie, slacks, and dress shoes, while still having to crawl under rear end in a top hat's desks to plug in goddamned network cables and poo poo, and schlep around PCs. No, I'm not bitter, why?
Thank god they relaxed that policy years before I left, and I moved to another office that didn't dress that way in the first place.
Current gig is blue jeans and t-shirts, and I'm so shell-shocked I can't bring myself to do it. Still wear polos and short-sleeve button-downs. Am wearing blue jeans, though..

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
A buddy of mine has been a server for 6 or 7 years and is happy pulling down 65k plus benefits. That's a decent wage but to get there he has to work poo poo hours, usually 6 days a week, and regular overtime. He's also hit the ceiling for advancement because he doesn't have a degree and won't make Manager.

The IT ladder goes waaaaaay higher and 65k should be achievable in a few years, with six figures a few years after that. Don't worry about making $18 an hour to start. I started at an MSP for $14 an hour and four years later I'm taking six figure interviews while I coast in my pod.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sheep posted:

I was specifically requested to wear a tie today and turns out I have no dress shirts I can do the top button on nor do I even own a blazer and I have exactly one barely passable suit I bought at Macy's, ask me about still not being professional at 36.

if someone asked me that I'd hand in my notice.

if they want to tell me how to dress, they should have also put actor in my job description

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

A buddy of mine has been a server for 6 or 7 years and is happy pulling down 65k plus benefits.

This really confused me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Truga posted:

if someone asked me that I'd hand in my notice.

if they want to tell me how to dress, they should have also put actor in my job description

No, you just wouldn't get hired by a place that wants you to dress like that, because you'd show up to the interview under dressed and they'd look at you funny and never call you back.