Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Dumping some pictures off my phone of the development of my most fun stereo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

More drivers than most SPL drag cars.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Added the first powered sub (third total) to the garage system today.

Got a little trophy for successfully removing the broken pin from the sub's rca too.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I only have the V part right now. Planning out and acquiring the A part. But here's what I'm starting with.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Well I guess thats one way to do it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Well that's certainly a thing.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I prefer the old "hide all your poo poo behind a piece of furniture" technique, although I just moved my loveseat to take a photo of my increasingly ridiculous gaming set up:

-65" 4K HDR 10 Samsung KS8000
-Onkyo HT-S7800 receiver and speakers
-Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition
-PS4 Pro
-Shaw BlueSky TV DVR (Canadian equivalent to the x1 xfinity)
-1080Ti/i7-7700k gaming PC (on the far right)

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

I hid some stuff too.

Then it opens up to reveal...

Top to bottom:
RGB garden lights with custom controller
Dlink 16 port Gigabit ethernet switch
8 port networked PDU
Apple airport express
Raspberry Pi
3com 24 port 100mb stackable switch
2 channel, 300w @4ohm PA amp
Yamaha 6 channel 100w HTR

Runs a 6.3 system using about $50 worth of mismatched tip shop speakers.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Add a lower case L before the .jpg on your imgur images to be kind to non 4k viewers. Not that I'd be caught dead with less than 4k anything of course. :smug:

Also nice.... garage?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Yeah I cant really tell what's go on there.. did you 'hide' the stuff by turning off all the lights before taking the pic or what

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

Yep, it's a a garage. All that stuff was sitting out on benches and other bits of furniture before, just showing off the new rack.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I'm sure music sounds better in the dark, too. Why else would nightclubs have such dim lighting?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
hell yeah finally got done totally updating my poo poo for the first time since 2008 (gently caress were old)
Onkyo 606 -> Onkyo 656
Philips 47 -> Samsung 55 MU6300
Harmony 520 -> Harmony Hub
200 CD carousel -> lol

its amazing how far TV picture quality has come since 2008, even without the resolution change. 1/3rd the thickness, 1/3rd the weight, 1/3rd the price

also CEC over HDMI is a real trick. video from my PC is passed through to the TV even when the receiver is in standby. magic!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I prefer the old "hide all your poo poo behind a piece of furniture" technique

I prefer the "There's no way this is going to not look like poo poo unless I start ripping into drywall and it's a HT it's supposed to be dark anyway" technique.

Sl1me
Dec 14, 2014

Alright well here is my leaning tower of audio garbage that currently resides in my Bedroom/HT room.

Projector (Laser) : LG HF80JA

Set top Source: Nvidia Shield

Reciever: Denon AVR-X3300W

Front Channel Amp: Emotiva A-300

Front Channel Preamp for Music: Darkvoice OTL Headphone amp with a Schitt Sys after it for voltage control. This is essentially just for tube coloration.

DAC fed into the Preamp: JD Labs OLDAC

Turntable: Fluance RT81

Front Channel Speakers: Eminent Technology LFT-8b

Center Channel Speaker: Klipsch RP-250C

Surround Speakers: Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-BS22-LR

Subwoofer (Servo Controlled): Rhythmic Audio LVX12

Primary Headphones: Hifiman HE-560

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Holy crap, those electrostatics are huge.

Sl1me
Dec 14, 2014

KillHour posted:

Holy crap, those electrostatics are huge.

They are actually planar magnetic, not electrostatic. The woofer is a standard 8 inch cone from 25hz to 180hz, the midrange panel is double sided planar from 180hz to 10khz, when a ribbon tweeter takes over from 10khz to 50khz. They are very narrow at around 13 inches (compared to something like a magnepan), about 1 inch thick, but measure around 63 inches tall. They also do not have the same power requirements as some other planars, only need about 150wpc @ 8ohms

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sl1me posted:

Alright well here is my leaning tower of audio garbage that currently resides in my Bedroom/HT room.

Projector (Laser) : LG HF80JA

Set top Source: Nvidia Shield
Reciever: Denon AVR-X3300W
Front Channel Amp: Emotiva A-300
Front Channel Preamp for Music: Darkvoice OTL Headphone amp with a Schitt Sys after it for voltage control. This is essentially just for tube coloration.
DAC fed into the Preamp: JD Labs OLDAC
Turntable: Fluance RT81
Front Channel Speakers: Eminent Technology LFT-8b
Center Channel Speaker: Klipsch RP-250C
Surround Speakers: Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-BS22-LR
Subwoofer (Servo Controlled): Rhythmic Audio LVX12
Primary Headphones: Hifiman HE-560

Definitely not a bad setup.
You're on the right track with the Denon and Nvidia Shield. That sub choice is on point and those headphones are great.
Those certainly some interesting Front L/R speakers and I'm sure they benefit from the extra oomph of the Emotiva.
I don't know how much you watch movies in surround sound but I don't imagine that any of those speakers timbre match well at all.

If I were you I'd lose the ODAC, Darkvoice OTL, and Schiit Sys, from the setup and just use them (or some combination of them) with my desktop.
Then dump the Fluance for something nice.

Sl1me
Dec 14, 2014

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Definitely not a bad setup.
You're on the right track with the Denon and Nvidia Shield. That sub choice is on point and those headphones are great.
Those certainly some interesting Front L/R speakers and I'm sure they benefit from the extra oomph of the Emotiva.
I don't know how much you watch movies in surround sound but I don't imagine that any of those speakers timbre match well at all.

If I were you I'd lose the ODAC, Darkvoice OTL, and Schiit Sys, from the setup and just use them (or some combination of them) with my desktop.
Then dump the Fluance for something nice.

The timbre of all speakers involved certainly DONT match, but work well enough. 2 channel sound is the primary purpose of the system, any other audio played is tertiary. The Sub is active only on the LFE channel due the the extension of the front woofers, the kipsch center does a great job of rendering sharp sounds and dialogue, and the rears kinda just do fill in the back which I dont really feel like I need better quality there. Eventually I will probably upgrade these to bipoles. The levels are all balanced for 5.1 with the avr so the tonal differences really aren't super apparent unless you are A/Bing against a very cohesive system.

The whole idea behind the Darkvoice was to add a good amount of tube harmonics and coloration to 2 channel inputs, while allowing volume control in an analog fashion from my listening position (bed). I do not really trust the quality of the DAC in the Denon, though it seems "OK" and for a while I really was listening to headphones in bed as well (though I will likely less now that I have the nearly endgame front channels. I have an ifi tube amp and dac at my desk which drives my headphones there. If I ever decide to decrease the complexity I may just insert some kind of more basic tube buffer between the preouts of my AVR and the emotiva, but there is something wonky going on with the analog ins on it so this is my best option for now.

As for the turntable, I JUST now started getting into vinyl and decided not to spring for a 1k table until I knew exactly how much I would end up collecting and listening to. Of course within a week of buying it I had ordered 500+ LPs from the ebay wholesale section, so its safe to say I will be upgrading the table and phono stage some time later in the year.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Not much of a view out that window huh?

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

It's the front yard and street, which is okay to look at, but the sheet is more to diffuse the light peeking through the Venetians because it was really distracting.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
They do sell proper window blackout blinds that A) block all of the light, and, B) look good

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The ritual sacrifice of a small TV.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

The Dave posted:

A circle of robed AV techs chanting "Ohm."

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

A circle of robed AV techs chanting "Ohm."

Hey, to be fair, these guys considered it a fair upgrade.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The Dave posted:

My first thought was also an altar

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

Reminds me of this video

https://youtu.be/D1gl46hh3sQ

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

My setup was really hard to get a picture of. Also, the speakers have isolating foam pads under them, not directly on the stand.

There is an airport express sitting on top of the preamp that is probably my most-used source.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 29, 2018

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sniep posted:

They do sell proper window blackout blinds that A) block all of the light, and, B) look good

They sell curtains that will block 100% of the light and look good but unless you superglue them to your drywall they won't actually block 100% of the light.

Probably the best way to deal with really problematic light is buying 8'x4' "Insulfoam" type poo poo from your local home improvement store and covering the window with it. And then putting blackout curtains over it.

Really would only matter with projectors though, not a regular TV.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

is this the top of someones bald head

Sl1me
Dec 14, 2014

veiled boner fuel posted:

is this the top of someones bald head

Regrettably its only a bedpost.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I borrowed a pair of Gradient Revolution speakers:

I was going to buy some more speaker cable because the old copper one had oxidized... and noticed those for sale. They're butt ugly but I'd have to buy a new pair if I wanted to customize colors and they are 5000 new so nope.

They sound OK though, considering my amp/speaker price ratio is now 1:10. And my source is chromecast audio from spotify... anyways. I wish I had a slightly larger room since I can't keep those speakers next to wall. Maybe near wall setup could work, I need to rotate the bass portion around and try different orientations...

Also a 70"+ TV would be cool. I tried projectors but they require way too much from the room, TV's are a lot easier.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

maybe get some nice mahogany for your under-the-tv stack of wood, should really tie into the room better than pine

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Ghostnuke posted:

maybe get some nice mahogany for your under-the-tv stack of wood, should really tie into the room better than pine

Or just a height-adjustable stand. Those leftover pieces were at hand when I needed to raise the TV and I haven't bothered to change it afterwards :v:

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

Ihmemies posted:

Or just a height-adjustable stand. Those leftover pieces were at hand when I needed to raise the TV and I haven't bothered to change it afterwards :v:

This is how things stay the same forever. Before long you won't even realize it's ugly.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

TV: LG OLED65B7A
Receiver: Denon AVR1912 to be replaced by Sony STR-DN1080
Front left and right speakers: Mirage OM7
Center Channel: Mirage OMC3
Surround and rear surround: Sonance .5 surround (installed in the ceiling)
Subwoofer: some Mirage (not sure of model)
Blu-ray: LG 4K model
DVD: Pioneer that has been chip-modded to be all-region (I have a bunch of region 2 and 3 DVDs)

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Moved into a new apartment, and took care of the most important stuff first.

Left: Beosystem 7000 with Bowers & Wilkins DM602 S2 on an IKEA bench.

Right: Old Sony 40-inch non-LED LCD TV, will be replaced with a Samsung 8000-series 55" soon.
Tannoy V4i and VCi speakers, with the V1i rears to be connected when I get cabling fixed.
PS4
Old HTPC running Universal Media Server for the PS4
Canal Digital T-We cable.
Sony STR-DH520 "receiver". It's old, cheap and weak, but it just keeps on doing exactly what I need it to do, so I haven't had the actual need to replace it even if I want to.
NorStone Esse AV stand.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Sergeant Chowdown looking old these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
I'm terrible at taking pictures, lighting looks completely different in actuality but I'd be interested in any decorating tips for this relaxation room. The last picture is closest to what the real lighting looks like (a little darker than normal).

TV: Samsung 82" 4K UN82MU8000
Shelf: Walker Edison 44 inches Cortez, Espresso
PC: Fractal Node 804
Speakers: Logitech Z623