Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Maybe it's just a Midwest US thing but we call them superintendents, not directors.

They aren't the same thing. Directors work for superintendents, not necessarily directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

guppy posted:

They aren't the same thing. Directors work for superintendents, not necessarily directly.

Indirectors.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Judge Schnoopy posted:

May I see it?

... No.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
To clear things up, we're a public residential school for 11th and 12th graders. We aren't a charter school, but it's the closest thing you could compare it to. We receive state funding and rely on donations from businesses and alumni to cover the rest. We are technically our own school district so we have creative titles for what normal districts would have, so, for example, our principal is the Director of Student Affairs and our superintendent is the Executive Director. It's all horseshit and

Judge Schnoopy posted:

My guess is that attendance will plummet over the next four years as new student intake dives, the director panics over his continued lack of a raise, budgets are slashed due to lack of attendance, and the school closes in 4.5 years.

is a pretty accurate account of what will happen :shrug:

Anyways, I'm finding that there are several jobs located about 30 minutes away that I am either way overqualified for that don't pay nearly enough for me to survive, or they pay just what I'm making now but have insane requirements like "must have a master's degree in data architecture and 10+ years experience managing data in a university setting and also no substitutions." The jobs that pay more than what I'm making are director and coordinator positions, but none in my field.

Also I really need to start familiarizing myself with Oracle.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Judge Schnoopy posted:

May I see it?

It doesn't concern you.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

larchesdanrew posted:

To clear things up, we're a public residential school for 11th and 12th graders. We aren't a charter school, but it's the closest thing you could compare it to. We receive state funding and rely on donations from businesses and alumni to cover the rest. We are technically our own school district so we have creative titles for what normal districts would have, so, for example, our principal is the Director of Student Affairs and our superintendent is the Executive Director. It's all horseshit and

Anyways, I'm finding that there are several jobs located about 30 minutes away that I am either way overqualified for that don't pay nearly enough for me to survive, or they pay just what I'm making now but have insane requirements like "must have a master's degree in data architecture and 10+ years experience managing data in a university setting and also no substitutions." The jobs that pay more than what I'm making are director and coordinator positions, but none in my field.

Also I really need to start familiarizing myself with Oracle.

Just say No to Oracle and apply to the insane requirements jobs. I bet it’s not really that insane.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Virigoth posted:

Just say No to Oracle and apply to the insane requirements jobs. I bet it’s not really that insane.

Agreed.

My buddy with a master's and no experience got a job requiring a phd and 10 years of experience /shrug

You apply and they, what, don't give you a job? What have you lost?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
900 tickets came in

Our ticketing system is connected to our help desk inbox, and sometimes if you open the email too quickly the ticket won't register. I was shown in the past that if that happens you just need to mark the email as unread, and when I tested it with some emails with existing tickets, duplicate tickets weren't generated.

The Office 365 migration over the last month happened way too fast and has been a hurricane of call chaos to the point where the team has basically been ignoring maintaining the ticket queue for the past month. Now that things have calmed down we're working on closing everything out, and the above issue seemed to be a problem, so I marked every email in the help desk queue back to December 1st as unread.

Duplicate tickets were generated. :toot:

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Virigoth posted:

Just say No to Oracle

Always and forever, so help me Codd.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

stevewm posted:

All of that security... And it will be undone by a password taped to someone's monitor.

That's what 2FA with a hardware token is for :eng101:.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

As a code jockey who's had to deal with Oracle, gently caress it.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

totalnewbie posted:

Agreed.

My buddy with a master's and no experience got a job requiring a phd and 10 years of experience /shrug

You apply and they, what, don't give you a job? What have you lost?

Oh, I'm blasting out applications for every conceivable position. I've got enough high profile connections related to the college to get a very solid foot in the door. The biggest thing is a majority of the jobs are either for network analysts or database programmers, both of which are my weakest areas. I know what a database is and I know how to finagle some ugly code to get the data I want out of it, but that's about it. But considering some of the stories I've heard of guys going in for interviews for heavy network jobs without knowing what VPN or subnets are, I feel alright about it. Nothing a bit of googling, self-teaching, and fiddling can't solve in the long run.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Farking Bastage posted:

The State department of Law enforcement can suck my dick. :mad:

My group operates the network for a ~250k resident municipality. Our entire WAN is dark fiber. Owned by us and nothing riding on it but our traffic. Criminal Justice data goes through the police department segment and out a special circuit and ASA owned by State law enforcement as well. There's other safeguards as well like Netsight policies that disallow non LEO subnets to see anything at the station as well. The police station connection to the 911 dispatch is also dark fiber. Someone decided they wanted a line to look different on their Visio so now we have to put firewalls on each end of those segments and back to the core or they will declare us non-compliant. Mind you these links are 10G and a 20G lag, so we have to put in beefy enough hardware to full-on encrypt at those speeds. Never mind that the application data itself is encrypted and over private fiber. It's a shitload of money and trouble for something that is encrypting already encrypted data. We can do it, but drat.

Welp, we just got a new monkey wrench to throw into this blender full of donkey gently caress. They want to stretch the virtual host clusters at the station and E911 to V-motion back and forth.

So we have to do a VXLAN between the two sites.
Encrypted through a couple of HA Checkpoint clusters (I'm not even sure you can tunnel through it that way)
At 10-20G Speeds.
And reliable enough for Public Safety.

What could possibly go wrong? :suicide:

We have a 10G link between our primary DC and our DR, and to encrypt at full speed, we ended up using MacSec on 2 of our core switches. When it finally got working, it works great.
Although the carrier hosed up and it took over a year for them to replace the switches they were providing with stuff that could actually see Macsec frames and pass it on. So for awhile we had old CipherOptics encryptors in place that were limited to 1G.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Fortis posted:

... No.

Seymour! The Buffalo NAS is on fire!

Malek fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 24, 2018

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Malek posted:

Seymour! The Buffalo NAS is on fire!
"No, Mother, that's just the Aurora Buffalois."

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
If you want secure passwords, follow Joe Machis philosophy.

Edit: It just struck me that that won't work for American law enforcement. That's my hot political take for today.

evobatman fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 24, 2018

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
An 13" iPad Pro went out, and came right in again the following day.

Turns out you can't make it charge with the Micro-USB cable you have lying around at home, no matter how hard you shove it in the Lightning port. It also turns out the cost to repair the Lightning port is almost half the price of a new iPad.

Before today I used to joke that some users should get an iPad because at least it only has five buttons and you can't insert the charger the wrong way.
I guess I should stop saying that. :eng99:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Crowley posted:

Turns out you can't make it charge with the Micro-USB cable you have lying around at home, no matter how hard you shove it in the Lightning port. It also turns out the cost to repair the Lightning port is almost half the price of a new iPad.

Before today I used to joke that some users should get an iPad because at least it only has five buttons and you can't insert the charger the wrong way.

At my previous Job we gave out Ipads. Most of them only needed a normal protector.
But for this one guy who kept breaking the screen on the Ipad like a week or 2 after getting it fixed. After the third time, we got him an otterbox.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

It doesn't concern you.

:five:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

nmfree posted:

"No, Mother, that's none of your concern."

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Crowley posted:

I plugged my earbuds into my battery bank before work today. Keep in mind, I've had a 7" tablet (in black) forever. Coworker was like "Do you have an iPhone cable?" I was like "Dude, how much money do you think I have? I can only afford Android. So no."

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

larchesdanrew posted:

A reminder that poo poo like this is often a wish list, not a requirement. I got a position that required DBA and Oracle and MSSQL and VMWare and server admin experience with only two of the five.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

larchesdanrew posted:

they pay just what I'm making now but have insane requirements like "must have a master's degree in data architecture and 10+ years experience managing data in a university setting and also no substitutions."
I got a job in Support at a software engineering company with literally zero experience in a legitimate office environment based off of knowing Excel, problem solving skills, and 10 years of a great track record working in restaurants. 3 years later I walked into a QA position in development at the same company with literally zero development experience. You'll be fine.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I got a job in Support at a software engineering company with literally zero experience in a legitimate office environment based off of knowing Excel, problem solving skills, and 10 years of a great track record working in restaurants. 3 years later I walked into a QA position in development at the same company with literally zero development experience. You'll be fine.

please post uplifting stories like this

I got rejected for a promotion I really really want for the 3rd time in a row and I'm feeling downnnnnnnnn

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm having a hard time finding a new job because I'm just a computer secretary who's job is to yell at people all day.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Renegret posted:

I got rejected for a promotion I really really want for the 3rd time in a row and I'm feeling downnnnnnnnn

Time to find another job.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

2 weeks after my Interview for the Problem Management Analyst job, they're still doing interviews, because they started them before the closing date on the job board. (Because one of the hirers happened to be on site that week.)

The last couple interviews were supposed to be today, maybe tomorrow. but I just heard from a colleague who applied for it (who should have no chance next to me, but we'll see how much he bullshits) that his interview got postponed till monday as the managers got called into a short-notice meeting.

So I have yet another week of worrying about if I did enough to get off the service desk before I hear back.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

spankmeister posted:

Time to find another job.

ya I'm trying but I've never had very much luck.

I think the biggest problem is that I like where I work, I like the company, I like the people I work with, and I like the technology I get to futz around with. What I don't like is my specific role because it's empty and unfulfilling and I'm ready for more. So really what would make me happy, and what I want more than anything, is just to take a step up within the department. When I look outside the company, my heart isn't really in it.

I've been turned down 8 times now. Possibly more, I'm losing count.

I spoke to a recruiter yesterday about a job that is identical to what I do but pays 5-10k more. But it's temp to perm :suicide:

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

Renegret posted:

6 and some change years ago I started at a tech company with no experience other that grocery-ing. I did phone support for them, night shift. 6 months afterwards I got a promotion to server ops (cj but for servers instead of helpdesk, escalating to actual sysadmins/engineers). I applied also 3 times for Systems Engineering and was rejected each time.

3 years later I finally got a promotion to Systems Engineering. 1 year and some change later I moved, relatively horizontally, to an Information Security Engineer where I am now and where I wanted to be for the last 4 years.

I hope you continue studying and get to where you wanna be :)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
There was a box of passable croissants in the kitchen this morning, so I'm not going to quit. :colbert:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Set that bar high.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
gonna e/n for a second here but honestly my biggest obstacle is job rejection fatigue.

Maybe I suck at interviews, perhaps I'm just a lovely human being and don't realize it, but I'm just tired of being rejected all the time. Every interview I've had for the past 2 years ended up in a rejection, even the ones that I didn't really want that much. I'm stuck in that catch 22 of needing experience to get a job that will get me the experience.

This is all complicated by the fact that I kind of desperately need more money because I have a wedding coming up so taking a step back in pay isn't really an option.

2 years ago I was told by our network team that I need a CCNA to get a job there. Six months later I got my CCNA and that's amounted to...jack poo poo. There's been 3 openings in that department since I got my CCNA. One had some kind of back room deal go on and I was never even given a chance, and the other 2 was "Hey renegret it was a tough call you were both very good candidates but the other person was just slightly better I'm sorry but next time for real you got this!" From the outside I know it looks like a carrot on a stick and personally I'd be yelling at me to leave, but man, I really want that job.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
What have I been rejected from internally...

let's see

Network team: 2 times. 3 if you count the time where I comedy applied despite being horribly unqualified.
Video team: 3 times.
Supervisor: 2
Systems : 1

(e: oh yeah, 1 more for an admin position supporting an internal tool. The person who ended up getting the job, is a bigger tool than the tool she got hired to support)

All internal job postings have to go through HR and have a phone screening with HR first. At this point I'm on the first name basis with the HR lady, and when she sees my name pop up she just calls me and says "hey I'm sending your name up to management, nice talking to you again!"

thank you for listening this has been the renegret e/n therapy station nation

Renegret fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 24, 2018

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

larchesdanrew posted:

I don’t remember posting this but here it is

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
My boss requested that we all send her our goals for the next year at this company. I'm a tier 1 help desk tech with six years of professional experience. My goal is to find a better job.

I put some stuff down indicating that I'd like to transition to a more appropriate role helping with our completely busted AD and GPO setups(seriously, we set printers with local ports via batch scripts for our satellite offices despite having a print server that is entirely intended for them to use), since "get the hell out of here before this place kills me" doesn't really go over well in a professional setting.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Cool I just had a chat with the guy who got the last network job over me because I just remembered something.

A little less than 2 years ago we were both CCNA-less. The department decided they were going to do some extra training and get some people their CCNAs. I was notified that I was selected for the program, except by that point I was already studying hard for a month, and I had already scheduled my ICND1 the same week that the classes were set to start. I had a chat with the manager of the network team and told him that because I'm so far along, a lot of the class would be wasted on me and it would be better for the team if I just continued doing my own thing and stepped aside for someone else to take the class who would get more value out of it than I would.

The person who got the promotion over me is the same person who got a spot in that class because I stepped aside. He admitted to me he would've never gotten his CCNA without that class.

I lost a promotion because I did the right thing.

What a lovely way to learn an obvious lesson.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Renegret I will step on your battered, broken body to get what I want, even if what I want is only a stick of Big Red gum. :black101:

EDIT: Wait, we are both Grimey Drawers. That changes everything!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

A friend sent me a message, the county government I live in is hiring for a programming position. Pay sucks though, maxes out at 60k :(

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: Wait, we are both Grimey Drawers. That changes everything!

wtf is that anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

The Fool posted:

wtf is that anyway

we're both idiots who hate money