Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Welcome to the Miscellaneous Auto Racing Megathread of 2018. This is the place to discuss racing that isn’t NASCAR, F1, Indycar, and Formula E. Mainly it’s been WeatherTech Championship Series or the World Endurance Championship or British Touring Car Championship. Other stuff is welcome like all the GT3 championships in the world (Pirelli World Challenge, Blancpain, regional GT3 championships), WTCC, Formula E, what have you.

Racing Series’

This is the premier that all of the manufactures 1 auto manufacturer and lot of privateer car makers want to compete in and win. This is the 6th/7th(?) year under the FIA this championship is running with. Schedule this year has changed quite a bit due to WEC going to a winter season series to cope for the amount of races left. Mexico, COTA, Bahrain, and Nurburgring. However, they did add a 1,500 mile Sebring race an hour after the 12 Hours of Sebring, but we have over a year to get to that race and who knows if we even get to that round. Classes include LMP1, LMP2, GTE-Pro, GTE-Am. In LMP1 last year, it was a dogfight between the Porsche and Toyota, with the Porsche coming on top and exiting LMP1 to go to Formula E exactly like Audi after Dieselgate. Though the car count situation has balanced out in car count wise but in competition standards, this year may be a Toyota romp and possibly leaving the series after winning Le Mans and Fuji. As we can see next year's thread, I shouldn't have to be updating this section since it's currently in it's season, but series is in flux of where the top prototype series goes now. LMP2, car counts are staying stable though FIA is tinkering with the balance of all the cars letting Dallara and Ligier make joker upgrades for the regular P2 car and/or the Le Mans spec car. Multimatic, as I heard had to be rehomologated because :lol: IRL suspensions in modern prototype cars. Oreca is made they were allowed no update because they stomped every series they were in against P2 cars, and probably closest to beat Cadillac in IMSA. DPi's are not allowed at Le Mans or any WEC race which are based on LMP2 cars. GTE=Pro and Am is business as usual with many teams and a couple manufactures having their big dogs running for the championship and hey Aston Martin has a weird new GTLM car

Schedule
May 5th: 6 Hours of Spa
June 16th/17th: 24 Hours of Le Mans
August 19th: 6 Hours of Silverstone
October 21st: 6 Hours of Fuji
November 18th 6 Hours of Shanghai
March 16th: 1,500 Miles of Sebring
May 4th: 6 Hours of Spa
June 15th/16th: 24 Hours of Le Mans

The European Le Mans Series has a new logo. Nothing much is changing except Silverstone and Paul Ricard switching dates due to WEC moving Silverstone to after Le Mans.

Schedule
April 15th: Le Castellet
May 13th: Monza
July 22nd: Red Bull Ring
August 18th: Paul Ricard
September 23rd: Spa-Francorchamps
October 28th: Portimao

The 5th Season of WTSC, IMSA, whatever you want to call it. The big thing to watch for this year is Penske and Acura teaming up with an Oreca based DPi and Joest joining Mazda to get their poo poo straightened out from top to bottom. Cadillac is adding Spirit of Daytona to their ranks from bouncing around in the Multimatic and then finding some success in the Ligier. GTLM as always will be a barn burner with BMW now having a proper GTE/LM car that isn't a modified GT3 car. GTD holds rank on full season teams with your nice blend of Ferraris, Mercedes, Audis, Lamborghinis, BMWs, Acuras, Lexus', etc... As for Daytona, many P2 WEC teams are joining for Daytona and possibly the NAEC championship giving a big boost to IMSA and challenging WEC in where all the manufacturers are going. Oh and COTA is also gone from IMSA, and replaced by Mid-Ohio.

Also rip PC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oC8goRJHis

Schedule
January 27-28th: Rolex 24 At Daytona, All
March 17th: Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh From Florida, All
April 14th: BUBBA Burger SportsCar Grand Prix at Long Beach, P/GTLM
May 6th: Sports Car Challenge of Mid-Ohio, All
June 2nd: Chevrolet Sports Car Classic, P/GTD
July 1st: Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen, All
July 8th: Mobil 1 SportsCar Grand Prix (Mosport), All
July 21st: Northeast Grand Prix, GTLM/GTD
Aug. 5th: Continental Tire Road Race Showcase (Road America), All
Aug. 19th: Michelin GT Challenge (VIR), GTLM/GTD
Sept. 9th: Continental Tire Monterey Grand Prix powered by Mazda P/GTLM/GTD
Oct. 13th: Motul Petit Le Mans P/PC/GTLM/GTD

New Cars
Acura ARX-05 DPi

Ginetta G650-LT-P1

Dallara BR1

BMW M8 GTE

Bentley Continental GT3

Come join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/kg3d2Uu

BMB5150 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Misc Threads of the Past
Misc Auto Racing 2017: gently caress off Whincup
Misc Auto Racing 2016 : Downgraded From Silver Posters to Bronze
Misc Auto Racing 2015: At least our criminals are non-violent
Misc Auto Racing 2014: So long and thanks for all the McNish
Misc Auto Racing 2013: Beware: Ferrari Ahead
Misc. Auto Racing 2012: No War But Class War
Sportscars 2011: Racing with Class (ILMC/ALMS/GrandAm)
2011 Daytona 24 Hours
2010 Daytona 24 Hours

Spaced reserved for other posts, series, etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0URM5gywKA
Youtube for all Blancpain Series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwNav6wSdcM
FIA WEC Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTKzC5MsxKc
[url=https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC58em84jwiyM20qR-iqBDZw]IMSA Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0UIrIOb2J0
NISMO's Youtube Channel used for Spa 24 hrs and Super GT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbS7zMY2M3o
Stadium Super Trucks Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-6dw-6W-Vg
European Le Mans Series Youtube

Also listen to Dinner with Racers
My new work shirt will be the St. Riley shirts.

BMB5150 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 24, 2018

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Vroom vroom. So glad it's a race week.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Posted in the other thread as well but looking at the spotters guide for Rolex 24, anyone who wasn't Mazda has abandoned the Riley-Multimatic chassis then?

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

orange juche posted:

Posted in the other thread as well but looking at the spotters guide for Rolex 24, anyone who wasn't Mazda has abandoned the Riley-Multimatic chassis then?

https://twitter.com/andyblackmore/status/955806576719179777

And to answer that question, SDR sold their Multimatic to BAR1 who is gambling the updates make the car closer to at least Ligier. At the Roar, they were running pre-upgrade version so of course it didn't do well.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

WRC update: Last year was actually pretty cool, even if Ogier still won. Looking forward to more surprisingly entertaining WRC this year, even though Loeb is supposed to be back. :nallears:

Monte-Carlo starts this thursday.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

https://twitter.com/andyblackmore/status/955806576719179777

And to answer that question, SDR sold their Multimatic to BAR1 who is gambling the updates make the car closer to at least Ligier. At the Roar, they were running pre-upgrade version so of course it didn't do well.

Oof, that's not good. How did the RT24-P break out in the Roar? Was it at least competitive? I know last year the RT24-P logged the fastest top speed but that was more a side effect of it having a bit less aerodynamic drag than other designs.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Loeb is cool, unlike the bitch boy Ogier

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

orange juche posted:

Oof, that's not good. How did the RT24-P break out in the Roar? Was it at least competitive? I know last year the RT24-P logged the fastest top speed but that was more a side effect of it having a bit less aerodynamic drag than other designs.

The RT24-P did respectably, but it's still the slowest of the DPis.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Space reserved for a fresh Super GT write-up.

Can’t wait for Daytona 24 this weekend!

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Reminder that Stadium Super Trucks is still a thing and it's still an bad-rear end awesome thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbS7zMY2M3o

This year they're staying with support events with Indycar in the States and Supercars in Australia, bookended by small headliner events. They found a stadium to race in, even!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7pgJL6iheE

If there's a race weekend happening that is near you and SST is there, but you do not go, you are dumb.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

gently caress Jamie Whincup

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

Human Grand Prix posted:

The RT24-P did respectably, but it's still the slowest of the DPis.

It was more or less equivalent to the Nissans and Acuras besides Dane Cameron's mega lap toward the end. If they're not competitive this year, it shouldn't be due to lack of pace (see also: 2016 season with the old Lola and the AER 2.0T, where the cars were extremely quick but they still never won)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

We should probably start putting links to where to watch this stuff in the OP, like WEC, WRC and Supercars all have their own streaming services now and a shitload of series' stream their poo poo on Youtube like Blancpain and British GT. Probably not WTCR this season though.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Super GT and Super Formula as well.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

njsykora posted:

We should probably start putting links to where to watch this stuff in the OP, like WEC, WRC and Supercars all have their own streaming services now and a shitload of series' stream their poo poo on Youtube like Blancpain and British GT. Probably not WTCR this season though.

WRC does have WRC+, but it's not really worth it when you can just watch the same coverage for free on redbull.tv instead. WRC+ is probably more worthwhile if you want live coverage.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

NO NHRA IN OP!! (slams fist)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

NHRA News 2018: Rip Englishtown, rip Pro Stock in advance

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Peanut President posted:

NO NHRA IN OP!! (slams fist)

WRC hasn't been in the OP for three years. I gave up on other people caring about hatchbacks driving on access roads. :negative:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
WRC is cool again.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Does anyone know if BAR1 finally got their update package from Multimatic?

Also, the Mazdas got an increase in boost across most of the rev range, and a higher redline in the post-roar BoP. They could be pretty speedy come Thursday. I'm gonna keep a watchful eye on the timing site.

e: will prototype cars 2, 22, 23, 32, 52, 54, 85, and 90 please report to the stewards for improper Le Mans Prototype livery colors. Allowable major colors are as follows:
- Red
- White
- Black

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 24, 2018

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

e: will prototype cars 2, 22, 23, 32, 52, 54, 85, and 90 please report to the stewards for improper Le Mans Prototype livery colors. Allowable major colors are as follows:
- Red
- White
- Black

LMP2s can be whatever colour they like, it's LMP1 that has to be red, white, grey or black :colbert:

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Does anyone know if BAR1 finally got their update package from Multimatic?

Also, the Mazdas got an increase in boost across most of the rev range, and a higher redline in the post-roar BoP. They could be pretty speedy come Thursday. I'm gonna keep a watchful eye on the timing site.

- Red
- White
- Black

I think the Mazdas actually lost some boost at the top and bottom end in exchange for a higher redline (meaning wider mid range to work with) and a big weight reduction. It should be an overall improvement but there were some unspecified aero changes as well that may be significant

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah, you're right:

roar left, 24 right

Only registered members can see post attachments!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Yeah, you're right:

roar left, 24 right

loving 9200 RPM redline, those things are going to be ear-splittingly loud

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

The fact that the thread title doesn't have some sort of SUPER SEASON joke saddens me to no end.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I guess you havent had the displeasure of meeting Loeb in person.

Ogier is IRL cool. Loeb is fucktard.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mazdas? With a redline in the stratosphere? Say it isn't so!

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Added some youtube of some series, if you got some shout them out.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I guess you havent had the displeasure of meeting Loeb in person.

Ogier is IRL cool. Loeb is fucktard.

Can't they both be bitch boy fucktards? :shrug:

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

orange juche posted:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Can't wait for Stroll to podium at this Florida race.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCZJinpbGvU
people should watch drag racing

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

But it's such a drag, man.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Peanut President posted:

people should watch drag racing

I've watched drag racing. It's boring. I'm not interested.
I also don't like ovals. Correlation?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

races are too long

Dumb Username
Oct 20, 2012

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

iospace posted:

But it's such a drag, man.

Schlesische posted:

I've watched drag racing. It's boring. I'm not interested.
I also don't like ovals. Correlation?

nice gangtags

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Jehde posted:

Can't they both be bitch boy fucktards? :shrug:

No. Ogier is def not a fucktard. Loeb however is a genuinely unplesant dickhead in person esp if you dont speak French.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I just want to watch more slow-mo videos of superchargers/Top ends coming off of Top Fuel engines at extremely high velocity. The failure of engine block bolts is good poo poo.