Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Okay, as a person who has both very high-traffic and nigh-invisible threads I feel like I can answer some of the things here. The most important thing I have to say is that everything is fine don't overthink this.

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

So, one of the big things is I'm just playing the wrong games )(1). Which is a shame since I'm just doing games I like (2). I did notice my Doki Doki LP had by far the biggest reaction of any of my LPs. My guess because the game was still in a fit of popularity when I decided to do it, and it's a very reaction-heavy game, and those that know what will happen probably want to see how a newbie reacts to some of the poo poo that goes on (3). And I'm afraid a lot of these names you're telling me are going over my head, but I assume the people you're talking about are popular around these parts.

As for the "show us you care" thing, I don't know what I should be doing in my posts then. Like in a number of LP threads I looked at, people will literally just post a link to their video and nothing else when they update. And I have tried in the past to ask people about stuff I covered in the video. Like "What did you think of X dungeon? I thought it was Y.", but that didn't bring about discussion either, so I dropped it.

I mean an audience would be nice. I'm not looking (or expecting) to be some big name that everyone here knows or something. I might look into co-commentating, but would a lot of people team up with a random guy no one here has heard of (4)?

And I gotta know, what's with the 40k thing?

1) Game selection has a lot to do with it, yes. For example, compare dscruffy1's Batman Arkham threads against his Rise to Honor thread. Like what the gently caress is anyone supposed to say about Rise to Honor that scruffy himself doesn't say already :v:
2) Keep doing this
3) Not necessarily, actually. Here on SA "the gold standard" (imagine that these airquotes are massive, because they should be) is knowledgeable or semi-knowledgeable and calm style of LPing. Reactions are fine, but the minutia of game mechanics or game design of similarities/differences with similar games, or the story are what'll spark discussion. Expose that
4) Yes

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

So, one of the big things is I'm just playing the wrong games. Which is a shame since I'm just doing games I like. I did notice my Doki Doki LP had by far the biggest reaction of any of my LPs. My guess because the game was still in a fit of popularity when I decided to do it, and it's a very reaction-heavy game, and those that know what will happen probably want to see how a newbie reacts to some of the poo poo that goes on.

And again, sometimes that just sort of happens. If you're LPing games you love, that's great. That's what you should be doing. You really can't let it get to you if it turns out that no one is interested in talking about it. Again, both me and Blind Sally did a pair of games that were near and dear to our hearts between Shadows of the Empire and White Knight Chronicles; Panzer Dragoon and Torin's Passage, repetitively; and no one posted in either of those threads, despite SotE and WKC being kinda blockbuster-y LPs.

Doki Doki is a good example of striking while the iron's hot, meanwhile, and reaping the benefits of LPing a game people are in the process of talking about already.

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

And I'm afraid a lot of these names you're telling me are going over my head, but I assume the people you're talking about are popular around these parts.

Well, that's another piece of quick and dirty advice I can offer: know thy enemy fellow LPers. Familiarizing yourself with your peers in your field and their work can go a long way towards helping you improve your own craft. See what other people have done and figure out if it worked or not. Examine their styles and try to glean hints off of that. Again I go back to White Knight Chronicles. I was a big fan of The Dark Id's LPs of Drakengard and Dirge of Cerberus and how he tore those lovely games to shreds. So when it came time to do an LP of my own, my guiding philosophy for that was "I want to LP this game just like Id would LP it... only without all the gay jokes." And so it did. And when people said "dude, you're trying WAY to hard to be The Dark Id," I just replied "thank you, I know."

Good artists borrow, great artists steal.

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

As for the "show us you care" thing, I don't know what I should be doing in my posts then. Like in a number of LP threads I looked at, people will literally just post a link to their video and nothing else when they update. And I have tried in the past to ask people about stuff I covered in the video. Like "What did you think of X dungeon? I thought it was Y.", but that didn't bring about discussion either, so I dropped it.

I would say that this should be advice for a future LP then. That's ultimately something you need to figure out for yourself. A lot of the time, flat out asking people for feedback cold is a turn off here in LP. The advice I think I'd settle on is perhaps to maybe post things that are conversation starters. Talk about what you find interesting in certain levels or videos, or give your opinion on things and people will line up to tell you how wrong you are--because it's the goddamn internet and EVERYONE is wrong on the internet. Or talk about weird trivia related to the game or even unrelated to the game. Again, that's something you need to experiment with for yourself. I can't LP the game for you.

Like, for example, an LP buddy of mine, ACES CURE PLANES, while doing his LP of Armored Core 2: Another Age, started to spice things up when the game started to drag by recreating the builds of famous and obscure mecha from various animes and then had the thread try to guess what monstrosity he created, and that helped jumpstart the thread to an extent.

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I mean an audience would be nice. I'm not looking (or expecting) to be some big name that everyone here knows or something. I might look into co-commentating, but would a lot of people team up with a random guy no one here has heard of?

Hey, as long as you're sincere and you can get on well with people, that's really all that matters. Just flip them a few videos of your stuff so they know what to expect. You seem like a decent enough guy in your solo work, who knows how well you could do as a guest comm or with a guest yourself. Again, I had Artix basically cold call me one day and be like "Hey, you want to be on for a few videos of FFXIII?" and I said why not, and I've been working with him (against my better judgement) for five years now.

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

And I gotta know, what's with the 40k thing?

I did warn you now...

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Carbon dioxide posted:

One thing I noticed in your Paper Mario LP which I watched, and overall, enjoyed, is that you seem to approach the game in a very casual way. What I mean with that is that you enjoy playing through it, know the overall game progression - but you don't seem to go into detail very much considering plot and character details. I don't have an example ready, but one thing I noticed is that sometimes you'd go "This is character X, he wants Mario to do Y, but I don't really know why." Or "This is character X, he wants Mario to get him an ice cream, I think because he likes ice cream or something."

While in fact, I know that Paper Mario has a surprisingly detailed world where all those little details and reasons why characters do stuff are explained, either in dialogue with them or in dialogue with nearby NPCs. Quite often it felt to me like you didn't even bother finding out those world-building details, you just went with a guess from memory and that was it.

And if you don't seem to care about that stuff, why should I, you know?

So I personally would suggest you really become an expert on the games you LP. Either you show off all NPC dialogue on screen and talk about it, or you play ahead on a second file and use that for input for your commentary. While you're at it, if you find you have gaps in your gameplay knowledge/special weapon powers/stuff like that, go look it up in a guide or wiki. That kind of game mechanics details that a casual player might never bother with are interesting to me when I watch an LP.
Well, I'm glad you enjoyed the Paper Mario LP, thank you for that. As for your critique, I suppose I never even realized how detailed that world was. I mean if talking to NPCs is something I should do, I'll definitely do it. I know Nintendo games tend to have pretty good NPC dialogue. And I'll make sure to look stuff up like you said.

Alexeythegreat posted:

1) Game selection has a lot to do with it, yes. For example, compare dscruffy1's Batman Arkham threads against his Rise to Honor thread. Like what the gently caress is anyone supposed to say about Rise to Honor that scruffy himself doesn't say already :v:
2) Keep doing this
3) Not necessarily, actually. Here on SA "the gold standard" (imagine that these airquotes are massive, because they should be) is knowledgeable or semi-knowledgeable and calm style of LPing. Reactions are fine, but the minutia of game mechanics or game design of similarities/differences with similar games, or the story are what'll spark discussion. Expose that
4) Yes
1. Yeah, I was thinking of getting into a more complex series like Kingdom Hearts soon. The series is pretty divisive, and there's just so much to go over. While I like Zelda Mario, for instance, there's not as much depth in those series from game to game for the most part.
2. Will do.
3. I'll keep that in mind.
4. Fair enough.

nine-gear crow posted:

Well, that's another piece of quick and dirty advice I can offer: know thy enemy fellow LPers. Familiarizing yourself with your peers in your field and their work can go a long way towards helping you improve your own craft. See what other people have done and figure out if it worked or not. Examine their styles and try to glean hints off of that. Again I go back to White Knight Chronicles. I was a big fan of The Dark Id's LPs of Drakengard and Dirge of Cerberus and how he tore those lovely games to shreds. So when it came time to do an LP of my own, my guiding philosophy for that was "I want to LP this game just like Id would LP it... only without all the gay jokes." And so it did. And when people said "dude, you're trying WAY to hard to be The Dark Id," I just replied "thank you, I know."

Well, I remember the LP group I first got into years and years ago, and why I LP today. And that's HellfireComms. I noticed that, unlike a lot of LPs, they spent a lot of time bantering the games they play, where a lot of other LP channels at the time just read the dialogue or just go like "Yeah, and then you do this. Then this. Then this. And then X happens. Then you do this." And I try to emulate what they do since they were relatively popular for a time.

nine-gear crow posted:

I would say that this should be advice for a future LP then. That's ultimately something you need to figure out for yourself. A lot of the time, flat out asking people for feedback cold is a turn off here in LP. The advice I think I'd settle on is perhaps to maybe post things that are conversation starters. Talk about what you find interesting in certain levels or videos, or give your opinion on things and people will line up to tell you how wrong you are--because it's the goddamn internet and EVERYONE is wrong on the internet. Or talk about weird trivia related to the game or even unrelated to the game. Again, that's something you need to experiment with for yourself. I can't LP the game for you.
Oh, well I wasn't aware that was taboo. Still, I appreciate all the advice you and others have been giving me so far, so thank you for that.

nine-gear crow posted:

Hey, as long as you're sincere and you can get on well with people, that's really all that matters. Just flip them a few videos of your stuff so they know what to expect. You seem like a decent enough guy in your solo work, who knows how well you could do as a guest comm or with a guest yourself. Again, I had Artix basically cold call me one day and be like "Hey, you want to be on for a few videos of FFXIII?" and I said why not, and I've been working with him (against my better judgement) for five years now.
Well, in that case I'll have to give that a try sometime when I'm more available and see what happens.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I should clarify that asking for help and feedback in places like the Sandcastle like you're doing now is good and you should totally do that if you ever feel lost or confused or just want affirmation or whatever. There's tons of people here who are down to help you.

It's just that sometimes I find when OPs ask in their LP threads "oh, what do you guys think about this? Huh? Huh?" it kind of reads as a little desperate, even if that's not how it was meant at all. Whenever I use a "But that's just my thoughts, what do you all thing?" line in a post I make for an LP, I'm being rhetorical with it, usually as a way to cap off a thought before moving on to something else or what not.

But still, it's great that you've got resources you can draw on already in place. That's a lot of the work done for you already. And thanks for listening, by the way. I wish you luck with what you've got planned next. Kingdom Hearts has a LOT of poo poo to talk about in it, and people have been clamoring for more LPs of it as KH III inches closer and closer to its alleged release date, so what would be a good one to experiment a little on in terms of finding a workable style.

Cheers, man!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My threads tend to be fairly dead for the most part, but most of the games that I've done have been ones that flew under the radar on PS2, and often they are fairly self explanatory. I do put effort in though, in Dog's Life I sought out any plot I could find by recording the radio stations and they gave me a few small things to talk about regarding plot details. I'm currently doing a mystery game, so I'm hoping that the later levels will give more to discuss as things get revealed, and I start getting the unlockable plot stuff.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I always feel like I have to weigh in on discussions like this to provide the opposite perspective - a key question to ask is whether you're doing LPs because you enjoy doing LPs, or because you want other people to enjoy them. They're not mutually exclusive goals, of course, but which one is your driving motivation? A somewhat tongue-in-cheek piece of advice I tend to give people who want to break into the hobby is to do a complete LP and never show it to anyone, just to see whether they fully grasp the amount of work that will be involved without feeling any pressure to finish if they find it to be too much. It's also an exercise in determining whether they really enjoy the process of recording a game and making videos, or whether they just want people to praise them for it. I suspect that there are very few people who would do LPs if they got no responses at all, but if you enjoy them for their own sake, then the lack of interaction isn't a problem. Some games just don't provide much room for feedback, and some videos don't leave people with much to say. As long as you enjoy what you do and consider thread interaction/Youtube comments as a bonus on top of that, then everything should be good.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Yeah, I think the most important thing regarding LPing is to enjoy what you're doing.

One of my plans for the not too distant future is a lengthy LP of the Mario Kart series of all things, and if I ever get that off the ground I doubt that many people will be interested because everyone knows the series (and racing game LPs aren't very popular in general, although I really enjoyed the Diddy Kong Racing and F-Zero threads a few years ago), but it's something I would really like to do so I'll probably give it a shot sooner or later. If people end up liking the videos, that's great, but the main reason I'm planning to do the LP is that this particular retrospective is something I myself would love to see done and I think it would be a fun trip down memory lane regardless of how many viewers I got.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 15, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

LPs are too much freaking work to do one for a game you don't care about.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

StrixNebulosa posted:

LPs are too much freaking work to do one for a game you don't care about.

some of the games you hate though can be glorious train wreaks

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

mateo360 posted:

Hate and love are two sides of the same coin :v:

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
I uploaded a video on Youtube so I can post an LP but I ran into a strange problem. The video got blocked worldwide due to a copyright claim. What's strange about it is that the video got blocked by Constantin Film who has claimed copyright. I edited out the loading screens to make the video go smoother so I think the copyright claimer thought I was uploading the film version?

I looked online and I found out Constantin Film is not the real copyright owner. Instead, Gramercy Pictures is the real copyright owner of the film.

What should I do?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The way I have traditionally gotten a fair number of posts in our threads, aside from the usual wisdom of getting a co-commentator, is to freely talk about connections you're making to other games and culture. Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim was a game few people heard of and fewer cared about from 1999 and we got very brisk discussion in the thread because I spawned numerous tangents by saying what various things reminded me of or how certain things were connected to other games from the time period.

This kind of goes along with being knowledgeable about the game but I kinda feel like this is a bit more specific on exactly what that means.

Supeerme posted:

I uploaded a video on Youtube so I can post an LP but I ran into a strange problem. The video got blocked worldwide due to a copyright claim. What's strange about it is that the video got blocked by Constantin Film who has claimed copyright. I edited out the loading screens to make the video go smoother so I think the copyright claimer thought I was uploading the film version?

I looked online and I found out Constantin Film is not the real copyright owner. Instead, Gramercy Pictures is the real copyright owner of the film.

What should I do?

Nothing. False copyright claimants are a problem Youtube has not dealt with because the DMCA law they are enforcing with that system does not allow for it. Try to cut stuff out to get around the claim if you like, but you as a content creator have no recourse unless you can argue you have full rights to the content - which, as a let's player, you don't.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

Coolguye posted:

Nothing. False copyright claimants are a problem Youtube has not dealt with because the DMCA law they are enforcing with that system does not allow for it. Try to cut stuff out to get around the claim if you like, but you as a content creator have no recourse unless you can argue you have full rights to the content - which, as a let's player, you don't.

Ok then. Fair enough.I guess I do a different LP instead.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Supeerme posted:

Ok then. Fair enough.I guess I do a different LP instead.

On the other hand, it doesn't hurt to try to contest it under Fair Use. A lot of squatters will back off if you put in a request. It's absolutely not guaranteed, but you can try if you want.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
If they're not the copyright holders, just dispute it and say "These guys are liars." and see what happens.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

nine-gear crow posted:

Well, that's good to know, considering one of my planned LPs is going to basically be a straight-up ripoff of how Giragast did his thing.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Remember that doing an LP of a game is a really good way to get over loving it.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Xander77 posted:

I dunno if I'd say "get over loving it" but I've lost all desire to ever play both of the games I've done finished LPs of again for at least a few years. :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The first game I ever LP'd was a game I hated so loving much I ended up LPing it a second time in screenshot form

What I'm saying is let Spite influence your creative process, it makes for good content

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Xander77 posted:

I've never been stuck on a single battle in 7.62 for multiple weeks before.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have not replayed any of the games I've LPed. LPing (at least, my style of LPing) involves a lot of dissecting the game and just really analyzing every component, often because if you don't then there may not be much to talk about. It's pretty rare for there to be much reason to return to a game once you've done that, I feel.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
All the games I've LPed were ones I had no intention of playing again anyway, so that's not a big loss for me there. :v: Then again, I don't really have a lot of time to be playing games these days, so there are barely any games that I feel like touching again after beating them. So I personally view LPing them as a chance to revisit them.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 16, 2018

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I've replayed a bunch of the games I've LPed. Not trying to be contrarian, I swear! I've also not played a bunch of games I've LPed. It's really been dependent on the game. To be honest, there's a couple that I've considered LPing again because I think I could do them better now and because I still love them.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The whole "if you LP a game, you'll never want to play it again!" never made sense to me. Sure, I haven't wanted to immediately replay a game after LPing it... but I've never wanted to immediately replay a game after just playing it either. Most things I've done an LP of, I've replayed at some point since. Because I like playing things I like. That doesn't strike me as particularly weird. :shrug:

mateo360 posted:

Hating a thing is caring about it, though. Being Indifferent to a thing, or just doing it for the sake of it, is the bad thing here because its the equivalent of doing it for the sake of it and just going through the motions.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Danaru posted:

The first game I ever LP'd was a game I hated so loving much I ended up LPing it a second time in screenshot form

What I'm saying is let Spite influence your creative process, it makes for good content

I can't wait for that screenshot LP of Dokapon Kingdom

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where do I go to talk about DSP stiffing an escort 6k than getting put on blast for liking toy play?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
You want the Outside SA-LP Thread, which basically spends so much time being the DSP Appreciation Thread that you can't get the man out of the title.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
turtilicious is the OP of that thread, since the joke won't be obvious to casual readers.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lol I got an email this morning that my entire channel is getting demonetized because I don't match the new limit for partnership, which is 4000 hours yearly watch time and 1000 subscribers.

I never made anything off it of course but it still somehow feels like we're breaking up.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

EDIT: Wrong thread.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018
Hey everyone, this is not an OP yet I am fairly new to this site and I wanted to get some feedback by putting my LP on here. I made the mistake of starting with an OP and got torn to bits but still had some constructive criticism, so I did some research and my second attempt I am trying it on this thread first. Enjoy and do let me know what you think!

Let's be a Hacker! Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth: Hacker's Memory

The Story
The story of DSCS: HM runs parallel to the one from the first game. In this story we follow our protagonist Keisuke Amazawa, whose Eden account is stolen in a hacking attack. After the identity theft leaves him accused of a crime he didn't commit, he joins a group of hackers called "Hudie" and delves into the depths of Eden to find the real culprit. Along the way, he befriends a number of Digimon, digital lifeforms who inhabit the information world and are used as hacking tools. Characters from the original Cyber Sleuth such as Fei and her partner TigerVespamon from the hacker group Zaxon also appear, showing a previously unseen side of their story from the previous title.

Spoilers
While I have played the first Digimon Story game, I do not remember much, as well as I am going into this Let's Play completely blind, so while you may correct/add connections to the first game, please do not spoil this game for me or other viewers.

Notes
In my updates I will list the digimon I will be using as well as characters that we are introduced to as the story goes along.

Table of Contents
Episode 1: Let's become a Hacker

ArknknuckleRpg fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 22, 2018

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

ArknknuckleRpg posted:

Hey everyone, this is not an OP yet I am fairly new to this site and I wanted to get some feedback by putting my LP on here. I made the mistake of starting with an OP and got torn to bits but still had some constructive criticism, so I did some research and my second attempt I am trying it on this thread first. Enjoy and do let me know what you think!

The Story
The story of DSCS: HM runs parallel to the one from the first game. In this story we follow our protagonist Keisuke Amazawa, whose Eden account is stolen in a hacking attack. After the identity theft leaves him accused of a crime he didn't commit, he joins a group of hackers called "Hudie" and delves into the depths of Eden to find the real culprit. Along the way, he befriends a number of Digimon, digital lifeforms who inhabit the information world and are used as hacking tools. Characters from the original Cyber Sleuth such as Fei and her partner TigerVespamon from the hacker group Zaxon also appear, showing a previously unseen side of their story from the previous title.

Spoilers
While I have played the first Digimon Story game, I do not remember much, as well as I am going into this Let's Play completely blind, so while you may correct/add connections to the first game, please do not spoil this game for me or other viewers.

Notes
In my updates I will list the digimon I will be using as well as characters that we are introduced to as the story goes along.

Table of Contents

Looks like a big improvement compared to your first attempt! I personally don't have any direct criticism right now - except for pointing out a tiny technical glitch: your audio suddenly cuts out 3 seconds before the end of the video.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Carbon dioxide posted:

Looks like a big improvement compared to your first attempt! I personally don't have any direct criticism right now - except for pointing out a tiny technical glitch: your audio suddenly cuts out 3 seconds before the end of the video.

huh I dont know why it does that, technical difficulties i guess, it was there before i uploaded it XD. Thank you btw, it was disheartening to get criticism but much needed, I was of the mindset that i needed to grind out as much content as possible but that was actually hurting me. So now I am going to take my time, and see where it goes from there so thanks again!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Always nice to see a new poster who is willing to learn and try and improve instead of throwing a hissy fit :)

(the hissy fits are way funnier though)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ArknknuckleRpg posted:

The Story

Spoilers

Notes

Table of Contents

My advice would be on a general post presentation level. You would do well to find a better cover image of the game. Something a lot cleaner and with less jpeg artifacting and scaling issues than the one you’re currently using. Granted, there doesn’t seem to be many good quality images of the English game’s cover out there, but that just means you might need to get creative. Just find a decent large enough image and then scale it down in a decent image editor like Photoshop, GIMP, or Paint.net by like 50% or another such round number so it’s not obnoxiously big or unseeably small.

The general rule of thumb is that the widest an image should be on SA is 900px, because that’s the size limit of the LP Archive’s display set up and anything larger than that will break the tables on that site if you do decide to have it archived once you’re done with it.

Speaking of which, I would also recommend finding a better image host than just hotlinking directly from Wikipedia. That’s a big no-no around these parts in and of itself. SA has its own dedicated LP-specific image host site, LPix, which you can use in this instance. It would be well worth it to read the section of the Sandcastle OP or the Tech Support Fort OP that explains what LPix is and how to use it, even if you jut need it for the one image, because it’s free and open to use for anyone with an SA account, which, hey presto, you already have!

Either that or just use Imgur. Literally anything is preferable to hotlinking. That and a poor quality image header just gives the impression that you don’t care about what you’re LPing, so why should anyone else? Again, our core rule is is “Show us that you give a drat.” So you get what you give.

Beyond that, yeah, I’m happy you’ve stuck it out and are willing to improve your stuff. LP needs more Digimon games, all told.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

nine-gear crow posted:

My advice would be on a general post presentation level. You would do well to find a better cover image of the game. Something a lot cleaner and with less jpeg artifacting and scaling issues than the one you’re currently using. Granted, there doesn’t seem to be many good quality images of the English game’s cover out there, but that just means you might need to get creative. Just find a decent large enough image and then scale it down in a decent image editor like Photoshop, GIMP, or Paint.net by like 50% or another such round number so it’s not obnoxiously big or unseeably small.

The general rule of thumb is that the widest an image should be on SA is 900px, because that’s the size limit of the LP Archive’s display set up and anything larger than that will break the tables on that site if you do decide to have it archived once you’re done with it.

Speaking of which, I would also recommend finding a better image host than just hotlinking directly from Wikipedia. That’s a big no-no around these parts in and of itself. SA has its own dedicated LP-specific image host site, LPix, which you can use in this instance. It would be well worth it to read the section of the Sandcastle OP or the Tech Support Fort OP that explains what LPix is and how to use it, even if you jut need it for the one image, because it’s free and open to use for anyone with an SA account, which, hey presto, you already have!

Either that or just use Imgur. Literally anything is preferable to hotlinking. That and a poor quality image header just gives the impression that you don’t care about what you’re LPing, so why should anyone else? Again, our core rule is is “Show us that you give a drat.” So you get what you give.

Beyond that, yeah, I’m happy you’ve stuck it out and are willing to improve your stuff. LP needs more Digimon games, all told.

Thanks for the advice, in my OP on the lets play thread I found LPix and used that for my images and it has worked out a lot better

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I am glad you've stuck around to improve and continue your thread. It's always nice to have new blood in the subforum. Goon luck and goonspeed with your LP.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Okay, so I'm just checking. Does anyone know if baldurk is still alive? I know he goes underground for a while every now and then, but I've been getting people PMing me on Discord and wherever asking me if I know anything because they haven't heard from him in a while since they contacted him to have their LPs added to the Archive, and from what I've seen, he hasn't even posted on SA since last October.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
Yeh I'm dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
He's alive.

e: why do i even bother