Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Skwirl posted:

But I thought the massive loving tax cut we just gave giant corporations was going to create jobs?

Well you see, these things take time. You’ll have to wait until the Democrats get back in charge to see any positive results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
So Paul Bocuse died. I'm honestly surprised a chef lived to 91.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

yep. I hear he was a pretty decent human being in life though. RIP

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

That chicken in pork bladder ALWAYS looked and sounded amazing.

RIP

(He also was well known for his affairs.)

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Samizdata posted:

That chicken in pork bladder ALWAYS looked and sounded amazing.

RIP

(He also was well known for his affairs.)

Look we already know he was French

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Canuck-Errant posted:

Look we already know he was French

He also believed that women could be fine cooks, but never chefs.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Looks like 'nevermind' on that 'was a decent person in life' thing, then!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Looks like 'nevermind' on that 'was a decent person in life' thing, then!

I can accept a certain amount of racism/sexism/homophobia from the exceptionally old. It's not good, but holding someone born before the depression to the same standards as even a 50 year old just doesn't make a lot of sense.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Skwirl posted:

I can accept a certain amount of racism/sexism/homophobia from the exceptionally old. It's not good, but holding someone born before the depression to the same standards as even a 50 year old just doesn't make a lot of sense.

After all, someone who was old enough to live through WW2 in France just didn't have the same opportunity to see the dangers of racism/sexism/homophobia like our enlightened modern citizens.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ulmont posted:

After all, someone who was old enough to live through WW2 in France just didn't have the same opportunity to see the dangers of racism/sexism/homophobia like our enlightened modern citizens.

That's not what I loving meant, and you know it. It's not like the American armed forces were lacking in all three of those things while fighting Nazis.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Just because they're old doesn't mean it's okay for them to be any of those things. Being racist, sexist, or homophobic made you a bad person then, and it makes you a bad person now. Some things do transcend generations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Skwirl posted:

That's not what I loving meant, and you know it. It's not like the American armed forces were lacking in all three of those things while fighting Nazis.

I agree, we should have shot the American soldiers once they got back home

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

I agree, we should have shot the American soldiers once they got back home

We are talking WW2 here, not Vietnam...

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
The internet in my town went down in the middle of our breakfast rush, killing our ability to process credit cards.

Being a little diner we have no system in place to handle credit card payments offline.

I haven't drank this much whiskey in a long time.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Crazy Larry posted:

The internet in my town went down in the middle of our breakfast rush, killing our ability to process credit cards.

Being a little diner we have no system in place to handle credit card payments offline.

I haven't drank this much whiskey in a long time.

Your machine doesn't have an offline mode? Ouch.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
If you don't have an old school credit card slider in your place somewhere just fuckin give it up right now.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Lack of a knuckle buster somewhere in the building is kinda weird. You have that poo poo as a backup for a reason.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Long story short, I bragged about my mad pickle making skills and now after trying them my KM is ready to tell US Foods "gently caress you, there's a new pickle in town" and I'm gonna be making our pickles in-house. I've got full rein of "just let me know what you need, and I'll order it".

Problem is, I have no loving idea how to scale this up. Can anyone here tell me approximately how many pounds, or cases, or whatever of Kirby cukes it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket? When they're sliced? :psyduck:

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

We get fifteen pound cases, those almost fill a 22qt Cambro.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

If you don't have an old school credit card slider in your place somewhere just fuckin give it up right now.

A lot of newer credit cards don't push the numbers out enough to work on one of those now. The fancy Chase ones have the numbers slightly embossed, I haven't had to try it, but I don't think they would work on those and I also regularly see ones where the numbers are just printed on the side.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Rugikiki posted:

We get fifteen pound cases, those almost fill a 22qt Cambro.

Thank you! Is that raw cukes, and what kind?

My biggest blindspot as a cook is that I absolutely suck at estimating sizes. Happens in all aspects of my life; if I see a highway sign saying RIGHT LANES CLOSES 1000 FT, I have no loving clue what 1000 ft is. In the kitchen I'm good with eyeballing small measures up to like 2 cups, but past that? Pyrex and scales are my friends.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

They’re pickling cucumbers, beyond that I’m not positive. They look like all the top results for Kirby cukes on GIS, though.

E: and yes, they’re raw.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Rugikiki posted:

They’re pickling cucumbers, beyond that I’m not positive. They look like all the top results for Kirby cukes on GIS, though.

E: and yes, they’re raw.

Thanks again!

I can say that in my latest gig doing mostly short-order fry stuff: I have gained an incredible sense of time from one to four minutes. I'll drop catfish in the fryer, go do something else, and just before the timer goes off I get wavy lines above my head like Spider-man, look over, and it's 3 seconds left. Much of my waking day is now spent in 4 or less minute increments. If I ever develop Korsakoff's syndrome from all my drinking, I'm still good to go as a fry cook.

Still can't estimate how many quart containers I need to portion out catfish, though. :smith:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Pyrex and scales are my friends.

yeah, couldn't you just get enough cucumbers to slice for a liter worth and do math from there? not that asking in here isn't an equally acceptable method

I have never been responsible for making huge batches of anything so honestly asking or if there's some dark scaling magic

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Permits are in line, we start moving in today, soft open the 15th.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:getin:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Long story short, I bragged about my mad pickle making skills and now after trying them my KM is ready to tell US Foods "gently caress you, there's a new pickle in town" and I'm gonna be making our pickles in-house. I've got full rein of "just let me know what you need, and I'll order it".

Problem is, I have no loving idea how to scale this up. Can anyone here tell me approximately how many pounds, or cases, or whatever of Kirby cukes it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket? When they're sliced? :psyduck:

Don't do it by hand though jesus christ. Get some sort of slicer for it. Especially if you're gonna be doing it regularly.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

:getin: my belly, CDC's food... Also, Jacqui's pickles...

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
lol walked into my 5:15 shift today to learn my section was booked off and I wouldn’t be getting a table until 6:45

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
So you left until 6:45 right?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

Nah, you need to come back at 6:40 so you can put water on the tables (or if it's a properly staffed place, tell the busser to do it for you).

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
It's cool dude just mandolin 22qts of cucumber every 3 days

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Field Mousepad posted:

I stayed clocked in and collected my $15/hr while watching the bruins game in the staff room and answering phone calls.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Hold up what kind of waiting gig do you have where you make 15 an hour?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

Hold up what kind of waiting gig do you have where you make 15 an hour?

He lives in Seattle or a dozen other places with decent minimum wage laws.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
la min wage is already $12/hour, lots of places that want more than bottom of the barrel at starting at around $15. and i think in san fransisco and seattle the floor is even higher

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The one true heezy posted:

It's cool dude just mandolin 22qts of cucumber every 3 days

Mandolin.

Quarts.

What do you have against their fingers/hands?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Holy poo poo I need to move.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Samizdata posted:

Mandolin.

Quarts.

What do you have against their fingers/hands?

boy do I have just the thing for you

22 quarts of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOxvMEbUDkA&t=10s

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jan 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

mindphlux posted:

boy do I have just the thing for you

22 quarts of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOxvMEbUDkA&t=10s

Okay, kinda cool. Looks blood free. Now to figure out where to get those cool Brit TTS voices (that and that guy that does the weird Star Citizen videos where he's in a gas mask and stuff).