Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Captain Foo posted:

a suit is correct or at least not wrong unless you are interviewing at some weird west coast dudebro shop in which case rethink your job application entirely

a suit is never wrong per se but it can be awkward as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I wear a (dark) suit and tie unless it's a self-consciously "hip" place (e.g. a marketing company, not dudebro bullshit) in which case I wear a (dark) suit and no tie.

:shrug:

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
i think i've only interviewed someone wearing a suit like 3 times. mostly people right out of school, or coming from a bank (even then most of the bank people cop onto the "just wear your normal-rear end clothes" standards in tech)

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
i imagine its banks or crusty old monoliths like IBM that its normal to wear a suit?

not that I have anything against it (suits are comfortable, and nice suits are very stylish), ive just never even been inside a place like that in my short career in the tech biz

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i'm expecting to gently caress up interview clothes a couple times before i get used to the east coast again. the whole west coast is so poorly dressed.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the only candidates I’ve ever seen wear a suit were either fresh out of college and someone gave them bad dress advice, or guys that were “good talkers” but majorly bombed the technical part of the interview.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
Going to apply for my first terrible programming job. Whats the cv speak way to say I found a memory error bug on our unis hpc, detailed what was happening, wrote a little report on it and sent it off to the server-wizards who were then able to identify it and fix said bug? Seems like its something worth mentioning to show that I'm not a total idiot can do things but not really sure how to phrase it in a way that sounds cv like but also doesn't sound totally trivial.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

vodkat posted:

Going to apply for my first terrible programming job. Whats the cv speak way to say I found a memory error bug on our unis hpc, detailed what was happening, wrote a little report on it and sent it off to the server-wizards who were then able to identify it and fix said bug? Seems like its something worth mentioning to show that I'm not a total idiot can do things but not really sure how to phrase it in a way that sounds cv like but also doesn't sound totally trivial.

"During my time in this role I was responsible for isolating and documenting intermittent failures in a native-code distributed system, as well as liaising with the production support team to deliver a satisfactory resolution to our stakeholders"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sapozhnik posted:

"During my time in this role I was responsible for isolating and documenting intermittent failures in a native-code distributed system, as well as liaising with the production support team to deliver a satisfactory resolution to our stakeholders"

:golfclap:

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

jony neuemonic posted:

i'm expecting to gently caress up interview clothes a couple times before i get used to the east coast again. the whole west coast is so poorly dressed.

if its nyc, most people in tech dress noticeably worse than the rest of the city :P

the best-dressed people are the entry-level 20-somethings working in banks and marketing agencies

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Emacs Headroom posted:

i imagine its banks or crusty old monoliths like IBM that its normal to wear a suit?

not that I have anything against it (suits are comfortable, and nice suits are very stylish), ive just never even been inside a place like that in my short career in the tech biz

it's not even normal at ibm, at least in the development labs

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i live in nyc. i always ask the recruiter before an interview. i usually end up wearing a nice blazer, button up, and jeans. often no tie.

sometimes a suit is appropriate, and sometimes it is not, and it never hurts to ask the god drat recruiter.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

i've always worn a suit in nyc interviews unless specifically noted not to by the recruiter. these were primarily banks and fintech firms. the only one who requested me not to was amazon and even then I wore slacks, tucked in dress shirt, and nice shoes.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
whenever i have to go to the east coast for meetings or whatever, i kind of make a dumb point out of making sure i don't dress in my everyday working style but i don't go all out because screw those standards

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lancemantis posted:

whenever i have to go to the east coast for meetings or whatever, i kind of make a dumb point out of making sure i don't dress in my everyday working style but i don't go all out because screw those standards

weirdo westcoast dudebro spotted

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i had to dress like i worked at a bank for a long time so im not really doing that again without a real occasion

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i've always done nice shirt+slacks and some decent shoes, never jeans/tshirt/sneakers which ive seen a few times

i really should buy a suit since then only one i have is from highschool graduation and it doesnt fit anymore (shocking)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i am very comfortable in a suit. it is, if anything, my preferred wear.

but, i recognize that social context is more important than my personal comfort. i wear the clothes that will make my interviewers comfortable, not what makes me happiest.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I just wear a blazer with my hoodie, nbd

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

The Management posted:

I just wear a blazer with my hoodie, nbd

ah the tyrone biggums look

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
be a girl, then you can dress formalish and if it was overdressed, it doesn't matter the nerds interviewing you don't know poo poo about women's clothing anyway.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cis autodrag posted:

be a girl, then you can dress formalish and if it was overdressed, it doesn't matter the nerds interviewing you don't know poo poo about women's clothing anyway.

women still must face the suit vs non-suit dichotomy

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

women still must face the suit vs non-suit dichotomy

Nah, no dude interviewing you knows what the female equivalent of a suit is so any nice dress or shirt and skirt combo will do the trick, unless you're literally interviewing at a fortune 500 where pinstripes are mandatory, in which case you already know what to wear.

But by all means, please share with me more of your experience dressing for interviews as a woman.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cis autodrag posted:

unless you're literally interviewing at a fortune 500 where pinstripes are mandatory

ding ding ding

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
If you're interviewing at a fortune 500 and don't know what to wear it's not the right job for you.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ding ding ding

bloomberg? amex?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cis autodrag posted:

If you're interviewing at a fortune 500 and don't know what to wear it's not the right job for you.

my best jobs ever have been fortune 500. big companies can be warm, inclusive, welcoming places.

thinking you won't fit in because you don't know anything about it up front, or because you may be expected to wear a suit for certain job interviews, risks missing out on some really great workplaces

call the recruiter. ask about interview garb. that's why the recruiter is there

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don't know, fortune 500s may not have the immature scandalous insane toxic culture that the worst parts of tech have, but they have their own mess; its like a racism in the north vs racism in the south situation -- and you can settle into kind of a comfortable misery

also if you're not the organization thats doing the primary business then you'll always be stuck in an everything/nothing hell, people breathing down your neck to get something done or fixed but when its compensation time you'll be dismissed to the end of the line

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I'm a fan of asking the recruiter. At the end of the day even if they do hold it against you because they're a loving rear end in a top hat or something, they have no power in the decision making process so it's still fine.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
lol. just lol. if you think women are judged less than men based on their clothes during interviews. it’s not even close.

i’ve seen women rejected for their frikkin perfumes.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Perfume and cologne should be banned in offices. Some of us are allergic you know. Showering regularly and applying deodorant is quite sufficient. "Clean" shouldn't have a noticeable scent.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
there is pressure on women to smell nice though 😑

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Emacs Headroom posted:

It's not normal to wear a suit once you actually get the job, that's only been true of one company I worked for and that was an IT/management consultancy (also a sucky place to work). The discussion is what you wear to an interview, which is different.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Reviewing co-op applications today. One guy stated outright in his cover letter "once you see my grades I know you'll want to meet me". So I check his grades and see some F's and immediately throw the resume in the garbage lol.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
he wanted to let you know he was too cool for school, just like zuck and gates

i mean peter thiel said college is dumb so

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

qhat posted:

Reviewing co-op applications today. One guy stated outright in his cover letter "once you see my grades I know you'll want to meet me". So I check his grades and see some F's and immediately throw the resume in the garbage lol.
anyone who openly invites looking at his grades knowing there are F's on the report is obviously hilarious and probably deserved a sit down.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
also this is now my favorite photo of thiel because its a horrible libertarian monster posed in the most government management headshot

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
thinking of moving internally after 7 months in this job. I’m not getting to do what I wanted and I am not just fixing my predecessors’ mistakes but I can’t stop the people around me from compounding them with more stupid mistakes. I was all enthusiastic about getting poo poo done and making things better but the inertia here is too much for me to fight and now I’m full on angry.

yay more interviews.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Diva Cupcake posted:

anyone who openly invites looking at his grades knowing there are F's on the report is obviously hilarious and probably deserved a sit down.

Yeah, if you don't say anything then I probably won't gaf about a few bad grades, but if you even so much as mention them then they better be straight A's otherwise that'll be the last thing I read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
anyone who mentions grades gets an eye roll from me and then I turn up the difficulty of my technical questions.