Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

OWLS! posted:

Windows automation isn't my thing, but in the perfect world you should be able to build any branches that devs have any time they make a push, and oh, IDK, run some automated tests against that.

That's actually how it works. The whole visual studio environment has rather good continuous integration methods when used with the Team Foundation Server for source control...it also does all the unit testing etc. (and of course automatically tells everyone on the loving team when you broke the build :/ ). And of course, it also easily replicates globally, so this is actually nothing special imo....but if CIG does it, it's groundbreaking, never done before stuff, of course.

e: tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Thoatse posted:

Where is the Tide Pod?

Was used in tide pod challenge, user unconfirmed, looking at you Ben.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

This should be re-named to "The Star Citizen's Athem"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh6Qla-OQ-M

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

OWLS! posted:

Even if we assume that it takes ~30-40 minutes to do a full build.

I think their main problem is that every time they try and hit the build button it's a round robin nest of Fatal exception errors, that need to be coerced into behaving properly before the next build attempt comes around and restarts the procedure.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dusty Lens posted:

gently caress AP you called it too soon.

Ooh, we're into the eating each other phase of the cycle. BRB, need BBQ sauce.

OWLS! posted:

Late to their party, but I want to have a word with their DevOps engineers.

Good luck with that; I think they're relying on Stack Overflow and a following wind.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

They have 5 studios scattered across the globe thus 24/7 continuous development. The revolutionary thing is that when they compile something in the UK the folks in Austin get it around 7 hours earlier.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Colostomy Bag posted:

They have 5 studios scattered across the globe thus 24/7 continuous development. The revolutionary thing is that when they compile something in the UK the folks in Austin get it around 7 hours earlier.

Time has been refactored.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

no_recall posted:

Agreed. Majority of what I do doesn't stem from my personal creativity but rather from more senior persons and folks who are technically inclined toward making design decisions about things that are way above my paygrade. As a programmer, I put those words / diagrams / flowcharts / coffee table napkin ideas into code and ensure that it executes well into the vision of the intended design (with high levels of efficiency and ease of use). I do however have free reign on the program design and architecture. How it looks / handles / feels is subjective and completely dealt with by another team.

:same:

I am a code bitch and management bitch who’s creativity is only able to extend into how pretty I make code and my reports. I don’t usually come up with ideas, and if I do it is ultimately claimed as somebody else’s idea with some minor revisions to make it their idea.

I’m not UI/UX and that’s just how it goes.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
imagine four studios on the edge of a cliff

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

FWIW I can't see any of the controls for version control in the Visual Studio windows in BugSmashers.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was all manual.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

TheAgent posted:

imagine four studios on the edge of a cliff

When I do I picture Chris and Sandi throwing the little people off one by one while they wait for their copter to arrive.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I wonder if there's ever a moment where someone looks at 4 studios and 17 companies and sort of furrows their brow a little bit.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

SoftNum posted:

FWIW I can't see any of the controls for version control in the Visual Studio windows in BugSmashers.

C:\mystuff\gamedev\StarCitizen v3 new build - Copy (4) - Copy (7) - my temp copy - Copy (2)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SoftNum posted:

Hey, do you have any idea how much version control software costs?! Or the storage space required to maintain it? They can't sabotage their project by flushing money away on such frivolities.

Also, I seem to recall some comment they made on [random video show] a couple of years back that suggested something very similar. They made it sound like they had a hard time rolling back code that broke things and somehow this explained something about why the different studios had problems maintaining a central code repository and or they couldn't do local builds or something.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 24, 2018

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Tippis posted:

Hey, do you have any idea how much version control software costs?! Or the storage space required to maintain it? They can't sabotage their project by flushing money away on such frivolities.

They charge $5 per file commit. To prevent developers from changing files too often and to fight the buildup of filesystem shmegma.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
In other rear end-related news: :nws: holy poo poo. :nws:

e: added :nws: for the benefit of people who are goofing off at work instead of doing the drat job they're paid to.

Sunswipe fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 24, 2018

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Not. Work. Safe.

Dumbass.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe if people weren't messing around on the internet at work, the economy wouldn't be in the state it's in. :colbert:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

I'm not sure which was funnier, that or TFAB's sounding rod adventures.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CrazyTolradi posted:

I'm not sure which was funnier, that or TFAB's sounding rod adventures.

Ooh, link? Haven't read that, just the thread where a female goon was worried about her brother being in hospital again, turned out he was shoving pretty much anything he could get his hands on up his dick.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

boviscopophobic posted:

C:\mystuff\gamedev\StarCitizen v3 new build - Copy (4) - Copy (7) - my temp copy - Copy (2)

Source Path Too Long

The source file name(s) are larger than is supported by the file system. Try moving to a location which has a shorter path name, or try renaming to shorter name(s) before attempting this operation.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

OWLS! posted:

15 builds a day is loving nothing in software development. Even if we assume that their testing rigs (lol as if they have testing rig) is fuckoff tiny.

Most of those builds are just reworked graphical assets. You bet your rear end CIG considers that part of the development effort. In the meantime no flight engine, broken FPS engine, no game mechanics, no design document, and no plans. But boy can you move those visual assets around. Sometimes.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

OWLS! posted:

Also lol "replicates them globally" congratulations, you discovered the magic of a hosted teamcity/jenkins instance.

Our Jenkins server makes hundreds of builds just for Stellaris every day (a handful of full nightly playable builds, and lots of smaller builds to test that stuff works). 15 builds a day really isn't much to brag about.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

can you imagine these jokers trying to upgrade through a major version of cryengine after 6 years of undocumented hacks by people that no longer even work there? :laffo::laffo:

also, aus thread delivers

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Not to kinkshame but maybe keep the Goons sticking stuff in their dicks conversation to a PM.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

SoftNum posted:

What does your heart tell you?

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

boviscopophobic posted:

(Thumb drive or DVD) G:\mystuff\gamedev\StarCitizen v3 new build - Copy (4) - Copy (7) - my temp copy - Copy (2)

ftfy.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Torquemada posted:

stdh.txt right here, I’m writhing with cringe

This is exactly how you get dual masters degrees too. Not having any idea what you’re doing and having random supermodels walk across the desks you slammed together wearing clothes you designed, also while getting your masters because everybody knows you have so much time so do other stuff. A thesis is just something you can download and fill in the blanks with your answers like a long scantron.

I can only hope some day she has to tell people she lied. Usually people like this never have to fess up to it, so I’m not expecting her to ever have to even remember this conversation happened. :shrug:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

This FUD spreader should get his facts straight. I’m pretty sure it was just cobbled together from a old garage door and some parts an employee had laying around.

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

In other rear end-related news: :nws: holy poo poo. :nws:

e: added :nws: for the benefit of people who are goofing off at work instead of doing the drat job they're paid to.

Delicious chunchullos. Yum.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Sunswipe posted:

drat right it does.

I laughed so hard I hurt myself. Which come to think of it would fit well in the Stimpire.

monkeytek fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 24, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Wiz posted:

Our Jenkins server makes hundreds of builds just for Stellaris every day (a handful of full nightly playable builds, and lots of smaller builds to test that stuff works). 15 builds a day really isn't much to brag about.

Given the state of things 15 builds is a loving miracle.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Raskolnikov posted:

Thread title development peaked early January 2018. These are the lean times.

I was tired of wondering how enthusiastic the monitoring software was at work.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Wiz posted:

Well you see Wiz. Fifteen is the superior number since it is at the same time greater then the amount a backer can count using their hands and well below some purely fanciful arbitrary number as hundreds.

PS I love Stellaris. But almost every game I reach a point where I just can't help myself and poke the bear. Then get calzoned by the ancient civilization fleets.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

Wiz posted:

Ah, you see you don't have a pile of spaghetti code much of which has no documentation along with many of the original coders long gone that created a lot of it.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

given CIG's track record I'm certain that they will take industry standard practices here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legal
Jan 23, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

G0RF posted:

I’m not sure whether this will be interesting to anyone here but on the offchance it is, I had a Karma positive set of exchanges on Reddit recently. And it began with “I’m a Goon for those of you who like to downvote on sight.”

What was especially interesting to me is that an especially detailed and critical effort-post further down the chain yielded an outcome I did not expect, “drat, i don't even think i can construct a good counter argument to that. Very well said.”

I’m not sure what to make of it all beyond just being surprised, but it was nice to find openness to a more critical narrative of CIG history and Roberts priorities. Their own backer-funded media archives are the best witness for the prosecution against Roberts mismanagement and warped priorities.

“The court calls The Road to CitizenCon to the stands.”

Anyway I was glad there was some receptivity to a Skeptic’s narrative and that the Goon “shoot on sight” approach was maybe suspended in this case. FWIW.

I’m glad your thread loyalty is still alive, MoMA.

Its because they are easily swayed by reverse psychology. You are a goon and told them to downvote so they won't. I advised touchdowntim to say "well the mods proably wont make this public" on reddit and most of posts with that in it are now public.

A common Legal tactic.