Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I treated myself to a new video card recently after spending years with nothing but an okay-ish onboard graphics unit and I really enjoy finally being able to play games that aren't at least five years old. In my efforts to "catch up", so to speak, I bought and installed GTA V and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Yesterday I was biking up a steep mountain and admired the view, taking a couple of selfies in front of the sunset and immersing myself in the serenity and peaceful quiet of the moment. Then I took to the telescope thingies, spent a dollar to look at Los Santos at night, punched a teenager standing next to me in the face for no reason at all, stole a motorbike and sped down the mountain, blasting :krad: rock music all the way. It's like I'm 18 again, spending hundreds of hours with San Andreas, only with way better graphics :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
A lot of questionable opinions about Johnny Motherfuckin Gat.

The dude so badass that Zinyak abducted him a game in advance just to get him out of the way. Who went to hell and kicked the devils rear end to save his Boss. A “shoot first, shoot second, what the hell are questions” kind of dude. Respect.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Missing Link posted:

A lot of questionable opinions about Johnny Motherfuckin Gat.

The dude so badass that Zinyak abducted him a game in advance just to get him out of the way. Who went to hell and kicked the devils rear end to save his Boss. A “shoot first, shoot second, what the hell are questions” kind of dude. Respect.

The stuff with Gat and Zinyak was the point where my eyes rolled so hard I thought they might fall out of their sockets. I've already got Benjamin Motherfucking King, why the hell do I need Gat? The game loves Gat significantly more than I do.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Kinzie is just Gat with the wacky random violence and handwaving plot with psychopathy replaced by wacky random sex and handwaving plot with technobabble.

Yeah but violence and psychopathy have the potential to be fun, while the 11th time in an hour and a half that you hear the same joke where Kinzie says some technobabble and the boss says “uhhhh in English please???” and then Kinzie says “aaaah I’m surrounded by idiots!!” doesn’t.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Kinzie and Matt, Gat eating a sandwich, and The Boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Going in the complete opposite direction from SR, I just picked up Hellblade, the camera mode in this is incredible. I've never really been 'into' screenshots before but the flexibility here is amazing.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I could write a whole essay about how the way the handled Gat was so bad that not liking him went from being ridiculous to being perfectly reasonable. However, that would be better suited to the other thread, and the other thread is hell, so here is a good thing instead.

Do you remember Pannenkoek? The half a-press guy? Well, he has a second channel where he does uncommentated SM64 videos, and a lot of them are about the minutiae of the game's various systems. It's weirdly fascinating watching it all laid bare.

For example, you know how some things in SM64 blink? I bet you haven't put any thought into that before, let alone enough to make an almost nine minute long video about it! Some things, like bob-ombs, blink at random intervals. Others, like Mario and peach, blink when a timer hits a certain point. Mario and Peach's blinks are based on the same timer, so Mario blinks when Peach is halfway between blinks and vice versa.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvxdLH1ejaA

This one tests the limits of the metal cap's invincibility. I could have sworn that thing made you immune to fall damage. Interestingly, if you do die with the metal cap, Metal Mario will make an audible *CLANG* when he hits the ground. I wonder if that's automatic or if they programmed that in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i2YZ6nvaZw

If you'd like to see more, there isn't a playlist, but here are the channel's videos sorted by most popular. That should have most of them.

https://www.youtube.com/user/pannenkeok2012/videos?flow=grid&view=0&sort=p

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Yeah but violence and psychopathy have the potential to be fun, while the 11th time in an hour and a half that you hear the same joke where Kinzie says some technobabble and the boss says “uhhhh in English please???” and then Kinzie says “aaaah I’m surrounded by idiots!!” doesn’t.

Kinzie is much better realised in Agents of Mayhem where the humour comes from a generation gap, rather than techno babble.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Path of Exile is an ARPG that does all the ARPG things. Kill enemies, get loot, equip loot so you can kill bigger enemies, get better loot, kill even bigger enemies, etc. It is made by Grinding Gear Games and is the only game they have made. Their logo is, unsurprisingly, a bunch of beat-up metal gears grinding against each other, and it's used as a loading screen icon so you see it everywhere.

I guess the logo must have thrown me off, because after 400 hours of playtime I only just now realized that Grinding Gear Games's only project is a Game about Grinding Gear. :downs:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Ariong posted:

I could write a whole essay about how the way the handled Gat was so bad that not liking him went from being ridiculous to being perfectly reasonable. However, that would be better suited to the other thread, and the other thread is hell, so here is a good thing instead.

Do you remember Pannenkoek? The half a-press guy? Well, he has a second channel where he does uncommentated SM64 videos, and a lot of them are about the minutiae of the game's various systems. It's weirdly fascinating watching it all laid bare.

For example, you know how some things in SM64 blink? I bet you haven't put any thought into that before, let alone enough to make an almost nine minute long video about it! Some things, like bob-ombs, blink at random intervals. Others, like Mario and peach, blink when a timer hits a certain point. Mario and Peach's blinks are based on the same timer, so Mario blinks when Peach is halfway between blinks and vice versa.

This one tests the limits of the metal cap's invincibility. I could have sworn that thing made you immune to fall damage. Interestingly, if you do die with the metal cap, Metal Mario will make an audible *CLANG* when he hits the ground. I wonder if that's automatic or if they programmed that in.

If you'd like to see more, there isn't a playlist, but here are the channel's videos sorted by most popular. That should have most of them.

I like the one about all the different ceilings in the game that Mario can hang from and one of them is the underside of a cloud in the wing cap stage that is impossible to ever actually use or encounter without cheating. That and the one about how the level geometry was changed but the coins left in the same place or how you can crash the game by letting the little gopher enemies keep throwing stones until the item buffer overflows make you really appreciate just how much they we're flying blind when they made that game and how it's a miracle it even functions much less is a classic.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Saint's Row games are incredible because the Boss does some seriously deranged poo poo and in most games like this, it's either never acknowledged or handwaved away. In the SR games, there are times you do something so brutally over the top that even your own people are like "Holy loving poo poo what is the matter with you" in this mixture of horror and awe.

I can't remember which SR game it is but there's one mission where one of your prison friends gets dragged behind a car until he's basically skinned alive and you have to put him out of his misery. To get revenge, the Boss kidnaps the perpetrator's girlfriend, locks her in the trunk of her car, and parks it at a monster truck rally the perp is performing at. He ends up driving over his own girlfriend, still locked in the trunk, and you appear at the end of the mission and toss the dude the keys to her car. The last thing the Boss says to the guy is what the now-crushed chick said to your friend: "Do me a favor - when you check the trunk, just remember you should have offered me something better than twenty percent."

It's kind of incredible just how much of a psychopath you are in those games.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

HonorableTB posted:

It's "puckish rogue", get it right.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just did the first gameshow side activity in Saints Row the Third. That was a really fun minigame, at least on easy. I've also done the set of 3 Heli-Attack missions, Easy Medium and Hard, and bought a bunch of buildings so I have 2000 an hour going through. BTW is that real time hours, and does it count by the in-game clock or the console clock (by which I mean does it count per hour even when the console is switched off)?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

HonorableTB posted:

Saint's Row games are incredible because the Boss does some seriously deranged poo poo and in most games like this, it's either never acknowledged or handwaved away. In the SR games, there are times you do something so brutally over the top that even your own people are like "Holy loving poo poo what is the matter with you" in this mixture of horror and awe.

I can't remember which SR game it is but there's one mission where one of your prison friends gets dragged behind a car until he's basically skinned alive and you have to put him out of his misery. To get revenge, the Boss kidnaps the perpetrator's girlfriend, locks her in the trunk of her car, and parks it at a monster truck rally the perp is performing at. He ends up driving over his own girlfriend, still locked in the trunk, and you appear at the end of the mission and toss the dude the keys to her car. The last thing the Boss says to the guy is what the now-crushed chick said to your friend: "Do me a favor - when you check the trunk, just remember you should have offered me something better than twenty percent."

This is why SR2 is my favorite of the series. In SR1 you're just a normal person, and in SR3 and 4 everything else has been made so ridiculous that you're normal by comparison. (Not bad, just different.) SR2 is like a regular, sort of goofy GTA style game suddenly played host to a character from Watchmen.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Mierenneuker posted:

It's "puckish rogue", get it right.

Not until The Third. Boss is almost entirely "vengeful psychopath" in 2. Because of what happened at the end of the first game.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

GTA Vice City is the perfect tone for a sandbox game for me. I love its over the top 80s vibe and it doesn't have any mopey characters that don't want to be there.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Yeah, later GTA took itself too seriously, and Saint's Row was too outlandishly stupid. Vice City got it exactly right.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

That was SR2 because it's the only one I've played to completion.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The best thing about Saints Row is that 4 lets you have Julius and VICE PRESIDENT KEITH DAVID as your homies.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I always felt that the best moment like the trunk scene in SR2 was Gat's "get up" scene. The Boss does some hosed up poo poo, sure, but when Gat has absolutely no reason to hold back on getting revenge against a rich spoiled disrespectful fuckhead, he goes there.

I won't spoil it in text, at the very least watch a video of the cutscene on youtube. I went into it completely blind, utterly hating that little Ronin poo poo throughout the campaign, and it very quickly went from cathartic to disturbing. :stare:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rollersnake posted:

Yeah, later GTA took itself too seriously, and Saint's Row was too outlandishly stupid. Vice City got it exactly right.

Outlandishly stupid is exactly how I would describe having Miss Cleo use voodoo to make you momentarily stop performing ethnic cleansing on Haitians to run drugs for them and kill your allies in droves without consequence in the process.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

My main character gripe is that I wish the Belgian guy in 3 had a bigger role, that bit in the beginning when Johnny dismissively claims never to have heard of him and he confidently replies “evidently not, or you would not have robbed my bank” was a really good moment.

The first time I played 3, I was genuinely confused that he was dead at the end of that mission because the cutscene, like many of the ones in 3, was so badly done and it goes by so fast. He really seems tailor-made to be the final big bad, ala Dane Vogel in 2, but instead he gets chumped and Killbane takes over and everything feels off from then on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

thecluckmeme posted:

I always felt that the best moment like the trunk scene in SR2 was Gat's "get up" scene. The Boss does some hosed up poo poo, sure, but when Gat has absolutely no reason to hold back on getting revenge against a rich spoiled disrespectful fuckhead, he goes there.

I won't spoil it in text, at the very least watch a video of the cutscene on youtube. I went into it completely blind, utterly hating that little Ronin poo poo throughout the campaign, and it very quickly went from cathartic to disturbing. :stare:

If you go around that area in the graveyard after the mission, you can still hear him thumping away at the lid, begging for help.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

thecluckmeme posted:

I just watched it again. If you do search for it, for reference, buried alive kid tried to kill Gat, his girlfriend Aisha, and the Boss, resulting in a dead Aisha and a critically injured Gat; sicced the Boss on one of his own superiors to try to get a promotion, which failed; tried to kill Gat in the hospital, which failed; and then tried another assassination attempt on Gat and the Boss at Aisha's funeral, which failed; all driven by wanting his father to respect him.

I forgot just how hosed up that game was underneath all the gameyness of its systems.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

Outlandishly stupid is exactly how I would describe having Miss Cleo use voodoo to make you momentarily stop performing ethnic cleansing on Haitians to run drugs for them and kill your allies in droves without consequence in the process.

actually that owned

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Testekill posted:

The best thing about Saints Row is that 4 lets you have Julius and VICE PRESIDENT KEITH DAVID as your homies.

VP Keith David was loving great. Also picking the Nolan North VO is worth a go if you're playing that game, since it seems like they just let him say whatever he felt like saying for every line, which turns out extremely appropriate for that already ridiculous game.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I liked the goatse reference in Super Mario Odyssey.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
"Get up." was already mentioned so I will mention one of the things that SR2 (and probably SR1, though I never played it myself) had which 3+4 cut out: the good ol' Septic Avenger activity.
I'm pretty sure that every single playthrough of SR2 I start involves me making a beeline to Septic Avenger to start building Respect because I have a special place in my heart for a minigame where you drive a septic waste truck around and spray liquid fecal matter on objects in order to lower their property value.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

graybook posted:

"Get up." was already mentioned so I will mention one of the things that SR2 (and probably SR1, though I never played it myself) had which 3+4 cut out: the good ol' Septic Avenger activity.
I'm pretty sure that every single playthrough of SR2 I start involves me making a beeline to Septic Avenger to start building Respect because I have a special place in my heart for a minigame where you drive a septic waste truck around and spray liquid fecal matter on objects in order to lower their property value.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
BTW Something amusing - because I think I did the fish-warehouse Samedi Stronghold before the mission where you get super-high on loa dust, I didn't realise the wobbly effect was a drug effect- I thought it was just stink lines coming from the smelly fish. :3: I'm so loving innocent.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
So Barkley: Shut Up And Jam: Gaiden just turned 10 and I love that if you look at the metadata of the music files the one for the Michael Jordan battle reads simply "jesus christ, the guy from deep purple sang this"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRpw-8vxZag

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

System Metternich posted:

I treated myself to a new video card recently after spending years with nothing but an okay-ish onboard graphics unit and I really enjoy finally being able to play games that aren't at least five years old. In my efforts to "catch up", so to speak, I bought and installed GTA V and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Yesterday I was biking up a steep mountain and admired the view, taking a couple of selfies in front of the sunset and immersing myself in the serenity and peaceful quiet of the moment. Then I took to the telescope thingies, spent a dollar to look at Los Santos at night, punched a teenager standing next to me in the face for no reason at all, stole a motorbike and sped down the mountain, blasting :krad: rock music all the way. It's like I'm 18 again, spending hundreds of hours with San Andreas, only with way better graphics :allears:

I've had a 980 for a while, but I recently upgraded from a pair of 1600x1200s to a 4k and yeah, wandering around in GTA Online has become a form of meditation for me.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BioEnchanted posted:

BTW Something amusing - because I think I did the fish-warehouse Samedi Stronghold before the mission where you get super-high on loa dust, I didn't realise the wobbly effect was a drug effect- I thought it was just stink lines coming from the smelly fish. :3: I'm so loving innocent.

Oh my god.
I want to wrap you in a blanket and give you cocoa.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

System Metternich posted:

If you really want to see some poo poo that'd turn your hair white, download a trainer that lets you modify the weather, give you infinite special ability, and choose Franklin.

Set the Weather to Lightning Storm.
Give yourself infinite slow-motion driving.
Turn off the in-game radio, but listen to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD31OAxS41c on repeat while you drive down the highways at break-neck speeds, pausing time liberally to soak in the atmosphere and to watch the lightning streak across the sky.

The lightning storms in GTA V are nuts. They're just gorgeous. Add in a touch of Nvidia digital vibrance, a tasteful amount, maybe 10% above the default... *kisses fingertips with eyes closed, obviously savouring a beautiful moment passed*

(You can also listen to opera music or some Rachmaninoff, too, it's just as fuckin wicked)

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

how much risk is there for using a trainer in single player regarding Online? Script Hook V has a blurb about disabling itself in MP but ehhhhhhh

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ariong posted:

If you like this, you'll probably also like Stryder7x, a Paper Mario speedrunner who makes videos about fun esoteric ways to glitch out the game (and to a lesser extent, Thousand-Year Door). Not useful ways, mind you, just fun ways.

His bread and butter is making videos about extremely strange ways to crash the game. Like hitting a switch 121 times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0U4lD2Ypn4

Or, the favorite: Hitting the exact same block for four hundred years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPfMATdVN-w

My favorite video was when he designed a haunted creepypasta version of Paper Mario using only actual performable glitches, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab9vw_QercM

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

scratch that i haven't run single player in ages so i was stuck on some of the early Trevor stuff and it straight up spawned a Duke O' Death for me

like, pretty sure it was just part of single player rather than mods

neat

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm like three hours into Tyranny and already I feel like I'm going to play through it another couple of times. Everything about it is so intense. I particularly loved in the beginning when you first meet the Voices of Nehar and "he's twirling his scepter hypnotically" - except the text is highlighted, and what's more, it's not orange like most lore words and names, it's green like historical events or choices the player himself made. Hover over it, and it's the Voices giving you information telepathically that you can respond to in minor ways. It's a really cool blend of UI and game experience.

Plus, unlike most Western RPGs, you're not some bootlicking shitkicker for ten hours until the plot starts. You walk into the game and everyone knows you're the Fatebinder, the Boss Bitch of the Tiers.

I've bounced off Pillars of Eternity like three times now, but Tyranny is rad.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Trans-LoafWithTail posted:

I liked the goatse reference in Super Mario Odyssey.

:moonrio: :moonrio: :moonrio: :moonrio: :moonrio: :moonrio:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Somfin posted:

I just watched it again. If you do search for it, for reference, buried alive kid tried to kill Gat, his girlfriend Aisha, and the Boss, resulting in a dead Aisha and a critically injured Gat; sicced the Boss on one of his own superiors to try to get a promotion, which failed; tried to kill Gat in the hospital, which failed; and then tried another assassination attempt on Gat and the Boss at Aisha's funeral, which failed; all driven by wanting his father to respect him.

I forgot just how hosed up that game was underneath all the gameyness of its systems.

Doesn’t SR2 have you burn a dude’s hand off using pyrotechnics?