Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
She had a lot of really bad crashes, rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

financially racist posted:

i didn't know i needed more reasons to dislike that whiny untalented drain on the racing world, but being into woo managed to somehow make my opinion of her even lower, a feat that should be impossible

...still not as bad as sage karam though.

"Better than Sage" is not a high bar to clear, but Danica is sure as hell aiming for it instead of above it.

Also, since four out of the six are current or recent Indycar drivers, might as well dump this here too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXb2ZM72Uok

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
"Viso, I don't know who he is, even," Patrick said. "He's new, he's trying, he's got a pretty fast car. He's learning the ropes of this oval racing, but you know, he almost put me in the wall at one point and I'm like, 'Look dude, you're new, you better be nice because we all know how to handle this a lot better than you do at this point.'

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

remember when she insulted the entire country of brazil lmao

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Some rules changes for 2018:

quote:

Qualifications for the Indianapolis 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil are set for May 19-20, a week ahead of the 102nd running of the race on May 27. This year, driver and entrant points will be awarded to the top nine qualifiers for the race. The pole winner earns nine points and the second-fastest qualifier eight points, with awarded points decreasing by one point for each position down to one point earned by the ninth-fastest qualifier.

quote:

The qualifying order for all oval track events except the Indianapolis 500 will be determined by entrant points entering the event. The qualifying order will run in reverse order of entrant points, with the highest in entrant points qualifying last. A car without entrant points will be placed at the front of the qualifying line

Changes to Indy 500 qualifying points and no more random draw for oval qualifying order. The change in qualifying order will benefit the best teams since qualifying last on an oval has the advantage of max rubber

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Sato's paint at the moment:

https://twitter.com/TakumaSatoRacer/status/956163349263339520

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I wish they swept the RC wing but gently caress the car otherwise still looks amazing. Can't wait.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nice.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is that dark blue on the wing a little metallic? If so, even better.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

I like how the upper elements on the front wing are black so you don't even notice 'em. Makes it look even sleeker. It's kind of like all the black lower trim on the Dodge Challenger which makes it look less ... enormous.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is that dark blue on the wing a little metallic? If so, even better.

can confirm:

https://twitter.com/RLLracing/status/956273066052595718

sorta reminds me of the old Forsythe liveries. I can't find it, but I know they did a sort of argyle style pattern on the stripes too that was even more like the Rahals.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 24, 2018

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
You might be thinking of Moore's '96 car.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, there's some solid resemblance there (in a good way):

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, the Penske-Hogan tie up(Red 9). Jan Magnussen was pretty underwhelming as Emmo's replacement.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Huh, I didn't even know Magnussen was in CART at some point. Looks like he did partial seasons before and after his F1 career (not counting the one race he did for McLaren in 1995), which was equally underwhelming.

And yeah, Forsythe had some really pretty cars. It's quite easy to screw up a light blue livery (as some F1 teams have demonstrated), but they always managed to make it look good. Speaking of blue liveries, I also really liked Dario's 2002 car with the metallic blue and silver:

Tracy's car had metallic green instead of blue, and looked equally great.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Lots of ex/future-F1 guys raced during that time (96-02): Fabi, Boesel, Gugelmin, Blundell, Lehto, Montoya, Da Matta, Zanardi, Danner, Schiatterella, both Fittipaldis, Nakano, Takagi, Naoki Hattori, Moreno, Papis, Salazar, Sospiri, Marques, Montermini, Lotterer.

Perhaps CART's rep as the F1 washout series was somewhat deserved. Oh well, it was massively entertaining all the same, and some guys (like Zanardi) took to it much better than F1.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Pietro Fittipaldi in Coyne's 2nd car today. Grandson to Emmo, and a good deal of wins in lower series (although generally not against great competition)

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.racer.com/f1/item/146967-newgarden-dixon-ready-for-f1-now-brown

Hmmm.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
https://www.ibj.com/blogs/4-the-score/post/67206-indycar-series-seeking-big-dollar-title-sponsor

Yep, sure, this is gonna happen.

quote:

IndyCar Series officials are seeking a title sponsor to replace Verizon that is willing to pay up to $30 million annually.

Ideally, a source close to IndyCar told IBJ, series officials would like a sponsor willing to pay the open-wheel series $10 million to $15 million in cash and another $10 million to $15 million to advertise and promote the deal. That's per year.

Mark Miles, CEO of IndyCar parent Hulman & Co., won’t say how much the series is seeking for its title sponsor, but is optimistic about finding a good replacement for Verizon. This year marks the last year in Verizon’s five-year deal as IndyCar’s title sponsor.

It’s a busy time for Miles and his staff. They’re also looking for a new television partner. The series' deals with ABC and NBC Sports Network expire at the end of this year. Miles hopes to have a TV/media deal firmed up in the next month, and IndyCar officials envision the new media/TV partner (or partners) helping them sell the title sponsorship.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

well duh

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

That doesn't seem like an outrageous goal to me.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 10 days!)

I wish everyone in Formula 1 would gently caress off.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Peanut President posted:

I wish everyone in Formula 1 would gently caress off.

Dixon going to F1 is an ideal fantasy for all of us.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The price has got to be negotiable, ain't no way they're going to get 30 million from a company to be the title sponsor.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maybe if they accept Bitcoin.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bentai posted:

The price has got to be negotiable, ain't no way they're going to get 30 million from a company to be the title sponsor.

$15m cash + $15m spent promoting the series, when the latter effectively promotes the company as well, is not a big ask.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It's not, but IIRC Monster sponsored nascar for $20m, and there are a lot more eyes on that series. :D

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the new brake package really puts on a good show it seems

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

dixon is too old and also not american

newgarden, maybe

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

the new brake package really puts on a good show it seems

Looks real good in side profile. Swept rear helps.

Now we just need teams to put LEDs spelling out words in their wheels again ala Newman-Haas in late ChampCar.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Still really looks like a junior training car to me but that's probably mostly the roll hoop still.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

air boxes are a sin

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
If only we could pool $3,000 we could get our very own Gooncabin for the Indy 500

IMS PR posted:

The Tiny House Hotel provides a new, innovative and boutique style of on-site accommodation for race attendees looking for a unique opportunity.

Each tiny house is packed with a host of amenities never before available to attendees, including a compact kitchen with high-end finishes, a modern bathroom, air conditioning, sleeping quarters and more. Interested fans can select from a mix of several different houses with varying layouts and options. Fifteen Tiny House spots will be located at IMS and available to customers for Race Weekend.

The Tiny House Hotel will be conveniently located on the track's property from Thursday, May 24 until Monday, May 28. In addition to the accommodations, guests will enjoy four General Admission tickets to the race, on-site parking, a private concierge service and much more. The total cost for the weekend is $3,000.

15 cabins * $3k = a quick $45k for IMS and honestly not a bad idea except for the likely sections of golf course holes that will have their grass ruined for a weekend

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Given the price of hotels in the area, that seems... not bad at all, especially to not have to deal with race day traffic.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

KingShibby posted:

If only we could pool $3,000 we could get our very own Gooncabin for the Indy 500

15 cabins * $3k = a quick $45k for IMS and honestly not a bad idea except for the likely sections of golf course holes that will have their grass ruined for a weekend

Eh, the course always gets pretty hosed up during events, anyway. Plus, it isn't like they have a ton of people playing there every day as it is. For the price, you can do a lot better unless you're playing there for the novelty of it all.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Given the price of hotels in the area, that seems... not bad at all, especially to not have to deal with race day traffic.

Yeah, no kidding. It certainly won't be as nice as the suites at the JW are (which cost not too far from this), but not having to deal with traffic alone would be worth quite a lot to me.

Also, if anyone in here is trying to book a room for the race weekend and is looking for lots of floor space to cram many people into one room, try to book one of the two suites at the Crowne Plaza in the old train station right next to the ICC. I had one last weekend for the Magic GP and we could have fit 10 people in that room, provided enough air mattresses. Hell, the couch can sleep two on its own and it doesn't pull out into a bed.

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 29, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rahal's Long Beach colors are cool

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Total is in North America now?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Human Grand Prix posted:

Totally

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Human Grand Prix posted:

yeah, they are mostly in things like industrial solvents and avgas. they are launching a consumer motoroil though, which is probably behind the bigger sponsorship in indycar/GRC etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Cygni posted:

they are launching a consumer motoroil though, which is probably behind the bigger sponsorship in indycar/GRC etc.

I was going to say. I've seen Total ads at baseball games, but there's nowhere near to buy their motor oil.