Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Oilers lines today:

Caggiula-McDavid-Slepyshev
Maroon-Strome-Kassian
Cammalleri-Draisaitl-Pakarinen
Lucic/Khaira-Letestu-Puljujarvi

Insane that they traded away their two best wingers over the last 2 summers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
It seemed like everyone was drawing comparisons between the Sens and the old Avalanche last year, and there’s been a lot of chatter, both before the season and since their losing streak started, about overachieving last year and being due for a regression this year.

Last year the Rangers were the 5th-worst possession team in the league at 5v5, and this year they’re the worst in the league. The Rangers roster isn’t anything special, and there’s no obvious reason for them to outperform their possession stats, except for an aging Hank. Outside of bitter Rangers fans on SA though, it seems like everyone thought (and still thinks) that they’re a contender. What’s up with that?

Ditto Colorado, though they seem to have the scoring talent to overcome poor possession to an extent.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 24, 2018

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

bub spank posted:

It seemed like everyone was drawing comparisons between the Sens and the old Avalanche last year, and there’s been a lot of chatter, both before the season and since their losing streak started, about overachieving last year and being due for a regression this year.

Last year the Rangers were the 5th-worst possession team in the league at 5v5, and this year they’re the worst in the league, but they don’t seem to get the same kind of talk outside of bitter Rangers fans on SA. Ditto Colorado. What’s up with that?

New York isn't nearly as much of a train wreck than either Colorado last year or Ottawa this year and thus less fun to talk about.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

There's some talk that Cam Atkinson is friends with Nathan Gerbe. Whether that played into him being signed, I don't know.

Also this about the Metro:
https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/956234040457052160

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

It was also apparently okay to trade Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson because you have to give to get. Those were heady days.

That philosophy is fine if you're actually getting something. Like, if they'd gotten Marc Vlasic or something, okay, great, because he'd have improved their D considerably.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/JSportsnet/status/956234793586511874

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

The Dirty Burger posted:

Oilers lines today:

Caggiula-McDavid-Slepyshev
Maroon-Strome-Kassian
Cammalleri-Draisaitl-Pakarinen
Lucic/Khaira-Letestu-Puljujarvi

Insane that they traded away their two best wingers over the last 2 summers
Well that sure seems like a bunch of blender-lines.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

bub spank posted:

Last year the Rangers were the 5th-worst possession team in the league at 5v5, and this year they’re the worst in the league. The Rangers roster isn’t anything special, and there’s no obvious reason for them to outperform their possession stats, except for an aging Hank. Outside of bitter Rangers fans on SA though, it seems like everyone thought (and still thinks) that they’re a contender. What’s up with that?

Ditto Colorado, though they seem to have the scoring talent to overcome poor possession to an extent.

They aren't and it's not bitterness.

AV is badly handling the team and as usual is terrible at adjusting game plan. On top of this, Hank is having an absolutely fantastic year and masking all the bullshit going on behind the scenes. They aren't contenders. Even if they get Kreider/Shattenkirk back.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I don’t think they’re a favorite by any stretch of the imagination, and if they do make the playoffs they’re probably going to back into it/be a quick out. But outside a few teams virtually every team in the league has a flaw.

If the Rangers can make the dance who knows what happens. Fact of the matter is the Rangers now look nothing like the Rangers we expected to have roster wise in the offseason, and even then before all the Fire AV chat we figured this was a “rebuild on the fly” year.

I don’t buy into firing AV. Losing your leading goal scorer and #2 center sucks a lot, especially when your center depth was suspect even in the best case scenario. Fact of the matter is there’s still a chance this team backs its way into a wild card #2. And next year the team gets theoretically much better if Andersson and Chytil are both ready. Why not see what AV can do then. I don’t know who you’re bringing in that is going to make this a considerably better team.

Also I don’t hate Desharnais or anything but he’s way over his head right now and you have a lot of guys playing out of position to cover for injuries. Even just getting Hayes back is a big plus.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Jovial Cow posted:

I don’t think they’re a favorite by any stretch of the imagination, and if they do make the playoffs they’re probably going to back into it/be a quick out. But outside a few teams virtually every team in the league has a flaw.

If the Rangers can make the dance who knows what happens. Fact of the matter is the Rangers now look nothing like the Rangers we expected to have roster wise in the offseason, and even then before all the Fire AV chat we figured this was a “rebuild on the fly” year.

I don’t buy into firing AV. Losing your leading goal scorer and #2 center sucks a lot, especially when your center depth was suspect even in the best case scenario. Fact of the matter is there’s still a chance this team backs its way into a wild card #2. And next year the team gets theoretically much better if Andersson and Chytil are both ready. Why not see what AV can do then. I don’t know who you’re bringing in that is going to make this a considerably better team.

Also I don’t hate Desharnais or anything but he’s way over his head right now and you have a lot of guys playing out of position to cover for injuries. Even just getting Hayes back is a big plus.

Mmmm, yes, can't wait to see how AV handles Chytil/Andersson *cranes neck to see Pavel Buchnevich's usage before the last few games*

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Matt Zerella posted:

Mmmm, yes, can't wait to see how AV handles Chytil/Andersson *cranes neck to see Pavel Buchnevich's usage before the last few games*

Yet lo and behold he had more TOI than Nash and Zibby last game. Don’t get me wrong I’d like to see Buchnevich stapled to the first line as well, but even if Buch is stapled to the first line that’s not some silver bullet to fix all of our problems.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Jovial Cow posted:

Yet lo and behold he had more TOI than Nash and Zibby last game. Don’t get me wrong I’d like to see Buchnevich stapled to the first line as well, but even if Buch is stapled to the first line that’s not some silver bullet to fix all of our problems.

My point is, he's absolutely awful at deployments and his line shuffling is ridiculous. His expiration date is here and it's time for him, Ruff, and Arneil to go.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Why did they trade Stepan? I think I was still too depressed about hockey to follow it closely enough.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Slappy Pappy posted:

Why did they trade Stepan? I think I was still too depressed about hockey to follow it closely enough.

His NTC kicked in this year and Jeff is rebuilding on the fly.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Maybe New York wasn't all that good to begin with and injuries have pushed the team over the breaking point.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Matt Zerella posted:

My point is, he's absolutely awful at deployments and his line shuffling is ridiculous. His expiration date is here and it's time for him, Ruff, and Arneil to go.

grack posted:

Maybe New York wasn't all that good to begin with and injuries have pushed the team over the breaking point.

And Grack hit my point exactly. You can deploy the rangers current roster in as many different ways as you like. It is not suddenly a Stanley Cup contender as currently constituted.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
There was reason for optimism since Girardi was gone and McDonagh/Skjei/Smith/Shattenkirk all can be good possession guys as a top four. But now Shattenkirk is hurt, McDonagh hasn't played up to what he can maybe do, and Smith has regressed.

On the forward side, they don't have a ton of center depth and Zibanejad has been hurt. They should be middle of the pack on average, borderline contenders if things break right (as always with Hank), and not Oilers-bad if things broke poorly.

They still can turn it around and make the playoffs, but they should probably trade Hank/Nash/McDonagh/Grabner/everyone except Zuccarello and get what they can get for em. They're still a top destination for UFAs, college free agents, and they do well drafting, so that might be the best bet even if they're hanging onto the 8th seed.

It also doesn't help that they're in the best division.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Rangers are 28th in CF% with a rather putrid 47.6%.

Of course the top 3 teams are the Canes, Hawks, and Oilers and they're all out of the playoffs too

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

It also doesn't help that they're in the best division.

Lol 😂

Again, other than the Hawks, every team in the central has more points than all but one team in the metro. Top in the metro would be fourth in the central.

Fake edit: central teams average 59 points, while metro teams only average 54.875 (haven't adjusted for games played so :salt:, but I think the point stands).

E: the best team in the metro isn't even in the top 5 in the league and barely top 3 in their own conference.

Metro sucks... It's just that outside of Boston and Tampa the Atlantic SUUUUUUCKS.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 24, 2018

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

If Jeff doesn't trade Grabner for a nice haul at the TDL, he's dead to me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

iospace posted:

N: https://twitter.com/RP_Quigs/status/956021178090639360

V: I want to know Torts' thoughts on this.

The lady and her family next to me wondered if that play was staged, the defenders looked completely stoned from our angle

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Quick skipping the All Star Game means he can't dress, even as backup, for the first game back for the Kings.

Honestly, good. He's been loving awful during this Kings slide.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I was gonna guess he's short but no, he's 6'0.

Starting to look like that was just a good draft year.

As impressive as Kyrou and Morgan Frost have been in the OHL this year, Aleksi Heponiemi has been more so in Swift Current. He has 89 points in 37 games which (if he played a full season - he missed some for the WJCs) he'd be on pace for 173 points which is more than Crosby got in his draft year (Heponiemi is D+1). It's more than anyone in the CHL has scored since at least 1994 (which is when the CHL top scorer award was introduced). He just had a 28 game, 69 point streak snapped. He's not even a 20 year old like Kyrou, he turned 19 two weeks ago. He's just quietly rewriting the record books and it's barely causing a blip. He had a quiet WJC I guess and public perceptions are largely built there, but drat I don't understand why people aren't paying more attention to him. He's a smaller, kinda unexciting player to watch but still.

He's turning into one hell of a second round pick by the Panthers.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Matt Zerella posted:

AV is badly handling the team and as usual is terrible at adjusting game plan.

Surely not!!! That is unheard of!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

The lady and her family next to me wondered if that play was staged, the defenders looked completely stoned from our angle

Nah, David Savard (#58) inexplicably left his man to cover the other side of the ice for some reason (I think believing he and his defensive partner Jack Johnson #7 had a set play to switch sides there based on Johnson pointing at Anderson to take the man). Josh Anderson (#77) would normally be the cover but didn't recognize that and let Haula walk past him thinking Savard would be next to the net to force him to the perimeter. Savard tries to get Anderson's attention as he's switching behind him when he realizes his own mistake, but it's too late by then.

Savard was of course on the other side of the ice and none of his teammates had a chance to cover for him as it was such a sudden and unexpected thing for him to do. 99.99% of the time in that situation the attacker would head behind the net and try and set something up from there so the other Jacket players were largely doing the right thing standing in the passing lanes. Haula saw the sudden gaping hole in the defence left by Savard and Anderson and just drove the net, which was not his original intention at all.

The fact that no one picked up on David Savard heading for the hills (and I can't blame him - it's an insane play to make when the other team is set up in the attacking zone) and Anderson totally failing to cover for that makes the play happen. It's awful defence, but it (sorta) has an explanation other than "they were hung over." Although they were probably also hungover.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 24, 2018

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Matt Zerella posted:

If Jeff doesn't trade Grabner for a nice haul at the TDL, he's dead to me.

he should trade every player over 27 and some of the ones under 27 also

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
here are the players the rangers shouldn't trade:

-zibanejad
-miller (maybe)
-buchnevich
-skjei
-deangelo (maybe)
-shattenkirk
-chytil
-andersson

here are the players the rangers should trade:

-everyone else

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

a false posted:

-zibanejad
-miller (maybe)
-buchnevich
-skjei
-deangelo (maybe)
-shattenkirk
-chytil
-andersson

-everyone else

Keep Zucc, make him captain because he's the goddamn best. Otherwise, good list.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

So to sum up the last week for the CBJ off-ice:
-Jussi Jokinen claimed
-John Ramage traded to Arizona for Futures because :iiam:
-Jeff Zatkoff acquired from LA for Futures because Cleveland's goalies are Bad.
-Nathan Gerbe signed to a two-way deal at least in part because:
-Brandon Dubinsky was sent back to Columbus for medical evaluation for something which sounds serious when they thought he'd come off IR to play in Phoenix and:
-Cam Atkinson WILL come off IR to play in Phoenix.

They've played two games in that span and split them, the latter being what felt like a guaranteed case of the Vegas Flu going in.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Matt Zerella posted:

Keep Zucc, make him captain because he's the goddamn best. Otherwise, good list.

i love zucc, he is one of my favorite players of all time, but he also is one of the players who should be able to get us the best futures and if we're gonna tear it all down, which we should, he should definitely be traded

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

AngryBooch posted:

Quick skipping the All Star Game means he can't dress, even as backup, for the first game back for the Kings.

Honestly, good. He's been loving awful during this Kings slide.

He threw a loving hissy fit last night when Stevens pulled him, he tried to wave Kuemper off the ice, then sat on the bench with his helmet on and stick in his hand for the rest of the 2nd period.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

a false posted:

i love zucc, he is one of my favorite players of all time, but he also is one of the players who should be able to get us the best futures and if we're gonna tear it all down, which we should, he should definitely be traded

No.

Kale
May 14, 2010

D C posted:

He threw a loving hissy fit last night when Stevens pulled him, he tried to wave Kuemper off the ice, then sat on the bench with his helmet on and stick in his hand for the rest of the 2nd period.

Quick always been a bit of a drama queen I've noticed

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Goal differentials:

Central +122
Metro -23
Pacific -36
Atlantic -63

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

D C posted:

It was glorious :D

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

a false posted:

-zibanejad
-miller (maybe)
-buchnevich
-skjei
-deangelo (maybe)
-shattenkirk
-chytil
-andersson

-everyone else

Even Hank? What do you figure you get for him?

Moreover, who ponies up? Not that I think he's undesirable, but a hefty deal and a lot of the contenders do NOT need goaltending help

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 24, 2018

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Even Hank? What do you figure you get for him?

Moreover, who ponies up? Not that I think he's undesirable, but a hefty deal and a lot of the contenders do NOT need goaltending help

No one. Hank still owns and I would mind him mentoring Shestyorkin for a year or two. The problem is he keeps dragging the team into mediocrity.

Rangers would have to eat at least 3 mil of that salary and I don't think they can afford that with Girardis buyout on the books.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

I love Recchi but man, there's a long line of guys whose numbers I'd retire before his. Hextall, Desjardins, Propp and LeClair pop into my mind as the most obvious.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 24, 2018

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Matt Zerella posted:

No one. Hank still owns and I would mind him mentoring Shestyorkin for a year or two. The problem is he keeps dragging the team into mediocrity.

Rangers would have to eat at least 3 mil of that salary and I don't think they can afford that with Girardis buyout on the books.

are we even sure igor is coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Recchi isn't even in the Flyers team HOF (which is a bit curious)

• Locked thread