Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Monkey Fracas posted:

Just realized that the mandatory back-up camera thing will make it so screens are also mandatory in center consoles. Like it was already hard to find a car without one of the drat ugly things but now it will be literally impossible. Hope some auto manufacturers incorporate covers for them or let you completely turn them off.

Practically speaking, you're correct, but there are ways of integrating a backup camera without a screen in the console. My Mustang has the backup camera image displayed on one side of the rear-view mirror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Man, when manufacturers get those pesky wheels out of the way just IMAGINE how big the screens will get!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Apparently 27,000 Focus RS have been sold in 2016, 2017, based on the gasket recall info. I'm surprised they sold that many.

PT6A posted:

Practically speaking, you're correct, but there are ways of integrating a backup camera without a screen in the console. My Mustang has the backup camera image displayed on one side of the rear-view mirror.

I prefer the in-mirror setup.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So I leased my GTI just over a year ago with the intent to buy out the lease. Almost totaling the car obviously changed those plans and now I don't particularly care for making payments on a car that I'm not going to keep. How likely am I to be able to get out of the lease with minimal cost if I get into a 2018 Golf R once those start hitting lots? It looks like there are a couple of different ways that dealerships handle this, how bad does that accident gently caress me in trying to go that route? If it's not a viable option because of that it's no huge deal because I really enjoy the car, I just feel like I'm throwing money away on it at this point.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

kimbo305 posted:

I prefer the in-mirror setup.

Me too, but automakers seem determined to include large screens anyway. Just pointing out that it's independent of any backup camera requirement.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

It's us millennials, man. We love our screens.

:shepicide:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think it would be theoretically possible to do "lots-of-big-screens" right. Very rarely have you ever heard a pilot say, "No, the G1000 is garbage, I want my lovely, tiny GPS back and how about some vacuum-powered instruments while you're at it!"

The problem is that car companies have put a gently caress sight less effort into developing an excellent, all-screen-based system like that.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

fknlo posted:

So I leased my GTI just over a year ago with the intent to buy out the lease. Almost totaling the car obviously changed those plans and now I don't particularly care for making payments on a car that I'm not going to keep. How likely am I to be able to get out of the lease with minimal cost if I get into a 2018 Golf R once those start hitting lots? It looks like there are a couple of different ways that dealerships handle this, how bad does that accident gently caress me in trying to go that route? If it's not a viable option because of that it's no huge deal because I really enjoy the car, I just feel like I'm throwing money away on it at this point.

Best case, you would do an early lease turn in and you'd pay only the remaining lease charges. Since you've only made 12 payments, you still have 24 to go. Worst case, you have to pay the lease charges + residual. My guess is that you're hilariously upside down and you should just wait out the rest of the lease. Especially if your car has had significant damage.

edit: it can be done but you'd have to bring significant cash to the table or buy something with huge rebates. The Golf R isn't going to have any rebates so you'd most likely be financing or leasing like 55k (~42k for the golf r + whatever you're upside down on your gti).

edit 2: it is more likely to be achieved if your remaining lease payments are less than 10k.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 24, 2018

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheWevel posted:

Best case, you would do an early lease turn in and you'd pay only the remaining lease charges. Since you've only made 12 payments, you still have 24 to go. Worst case, you have to pay the lease charges + residual. My guess is that you're hilariously upside down and you should just wait out the rest of the lease. Especially if your car has had significant damage.

edit: it can be done but you'd have to bring significant cash to the table or buy something with huge rebates. The Golf R isn't going to have any rebates so you'd most likely be financing or leasing like 55k (~42k for the golf r + whatever you're upside down on your gti).

edit 2: it is more likely to be achieved if your remaining lease payments are less than 10k.

I need to talk to a former coworker about it, but there are definitely ways to do this. He got out of a Golf R lease after a month of owning the car for a BMW 4 series which he got rid of a year later for a GMC Yukon and he didn't take a bath on either. He spends too much money on shoes to eat that kind of loss.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
The money has to go somewhere, maybe he's not being honest about what he paid.

edit: like i said, you can do it if the car you're buying has huge rebates. he was most likely not so underwater on the golf r and got leasing rebates on the yukon. bmw is pretty agressive on rebates as well (they have like 3 or 4k for their leases at the moment) so it's possible, but like i said that underwater money has to go somewhere. whether to your next lease, minus rebates or if you put down a lot of money on your next car. it doesn't just disappear.

you could also poke around on lease trader and have someone take over your lease, but i don't think vw credit does that.

edit 2: looks like you can! http://www.swapalease.com/help/lease-company.aspx?leaseco=47 that's your best route.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 24, 2018

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

fknlo posted:

He spends too much money on shoes to eat that kind of loss.

Sounds like a story right out of BFC.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheWevel posted:

The money has to go somewhere, maybe he's not being honest about what he paid.

edit: like i said, you can do it if the car you're buying has huge rebates. he was most likely not so underwater on the golf r and got leasing rebates on the yukon. bmw is pretty agressive on rebates as well (they have like 3 or 4k for their leases at the moment) so it's possible, but like i said that underwater money has to go somewhere. whether to your next lease, minus rebates or if you put down a lot of money on your next car. it doesn't just disappear.

you could also poke around on lease trader and have someone take over your lease, but i don't think vw credit does that.

edit 2: looks like you can! http://www.swapalease.com/help/lease-company.aspx?leaseco=47 that's your best route.

I might have to look into that. I just kind of assumed a dealer would treat it like a trade-in and deal with the payoff if it was reasonable to get you into a new car. I obviously have no actual clue how any of that works.

Nur_Neerg posted:

Sounds like a story right out of BFC.

Yup. He's raking in cash now living at his parents on Long Island while making $160k+ a year. He's probably neck deep in new Nike's right now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Mazdaspeed6 with the navigation option had a screen that slid down into the dash when not in use. It can't be that hard for other auto makers to build a similar system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah2N8zZUhB0

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The Z4M had the ability screen flip forward and down out of sight, was a pretty nice idea. Fragile over time, I'd imagine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BlackMK4 posted:

The Z4M had the ability screen flip forward and down out of sight, was a pretty nice idea. Fragile over time, I'd imagine.

More cars should have the option to hide them.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Rhyno posted:

More cars should have the option to hide them.

I don’t think it’s a good idea long term - Mazda has enough issues with the little flip out HUD getting stuck without trying to motorise the main screen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

dissss posted:

I don’t think it’s a good idea long term - Mazda has enough issues with the little flip out HUD getting stuck without trying to motorise the main screen.

So make it a manual spinner. No motor to break.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
they're not going to be hidden, they're not going away

:dealwithit:

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I like the GTI's combination of real buttons and a screen alright but I have found myself messing with it on long drives more than I think is ideal, or more accurately for longer stretches at once than seem safe. I also like that even though the screen in the dash is just a touch screen there does seem to be room there for an aftermarket stereo though I'd be loath to give up the rest of the integration. I watched an Alpine screen/stereo swap video a while back but they literally only covered the install, nothing about the unit or why you might drop a fat chunk of change on an aftermarket stereo/screen. Upon re-skimming the video I don't even see the model of the upgrade.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

Mine had that, and like a couple people suggested, they get fragile and break over time. Not pervasive or anything, but its a BMW plastic part so its life span is limited. No nav is the way to go in that car.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
Anyone know what the hot autox tire will be this year? I just picked up a 18 ST2 and am contemplating running the stock tires this season or getting a dedicated set. Haven't ran over any cones for about seven years.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Hoosiers :3:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Probably still the cheater fake-200TW RE71R / RivalS 1.5?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
RE71R for sure.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Oddhair posted:

I like the GTI's combination of real buttons and a screen alright but I have found myself messing with it on long drives more than I think is ideal, or more accurately for longer stretches at once than seem safe.

Out of curiosity, what do you find yourself messing around with? I don't have any long drives under my belt, just my daily commute, but I typically have something queued up that'll get me there and/or back each day, but other than that I don't fiddle with it much. Unless I just want to see how low I can get the eco-trainer thing to go, or look at the performance dials (attn. VW - add a PSI gauge to the little dashboard screen!).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

a mysterious cloak posted:

Out of curiosity, what do you find yourself messing around with? I don't have any long drives under my belt, just my daily commute, but I typically have something queued up that'll get me there and/or back each day, but other than that I don't fiddle with it much. Unless I just want to see how low I can get the eco-trainer thing to go, or look at the performance dials (attn. VW - add a PSI gauge to the little dashboard screen!).

you mean on the head unit? there is a gauge for boost pressure

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

only for sport pack cars

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:laffo:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

only for sport pack cars

He he heh my FoST has a boost gauge that comes with all trim levels :smuggo:

Unfortunately it looks like it came out of the accessories aisle at Autozone and doesn't measure vacuum pressure

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Bought a stuffed turbo for my veloster for $850. So next fall will be rods, pistons, and studs. 300-330whp autocross commuter that i slowly strip the interior out coming.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

FWIW, the gauge is wonky with how it reads and isn't really all that useful anyway. From what I remember it isn't reading gauge pressure, it's reading absolute pressure. So it won't line up with any boost gauge you've ever seen. :v:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

Not the head unit, the small in-dash screen between the tachometer and speedo that's basically useless for anything else. I need to make sure none of my PSIs run away while I'm sitting in traffic.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

a mysterious cloak posted:

To be fair the one really long trip I made in the GTI was Houston to Philly solo in one long-rear end 24-hour leg of speed limit-only driving until I was near DC on veteran's day 2016, then everybody was just flying. I might've been enticed to mess with it as I was relying on Android Auto for nav, satellite radio for music, etc, but I would occasionally adjust something and then look back up and think it'd been longer than it ought that I'd glanced away. This wasn't just at the loopy end of that drive, but like 12-16 hours in driving across Tennessee or Virginia.

Larrymer posted:

FWIW, the gauge is wonky with how it reads and isn't really all that useful anyway. From what I remember it isn't reading gauge pressure, it's reading absolute pressure. So it won't line up with any boost gauge you've ever seen. :v:

Yeah, it hits 30 PSI briefly from time to time but only very briefly. Not sure about a different gauge for the power pack, maybe more in line with what a mysterious cloak asked about, I only have the base model.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
I’m looking at buying 07 gti as a daily. Has 75k miles but comes with service records for all major stuff so I figure not a terrible deal for 5k asking. The issue is that the prev prev owner put a “stage 1 chip and BOV” on the car. How much of a red flag that is and can/should it be put back to stock?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I know jack about VW , but $5k seems like a good deal for a fun car that has under 100k miles and no major problems.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

iv46vi posted:

I’m looking at buying 07 gti as a daily. Has 75k miles but comes with service records for all major stuff so I figure not a terrible deal for 5k asking. The issue is that the prev prev owner put a “stage 1 chip and BOV” on the car. How much of a red flag that is and can/should it be put back to stock?

The BOV is dumb and useless but a pretty large number of hot hatches get chipped. If that's all that's done then neither is a red flag at all.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

iv46vi posted:

I think the stock diverters failed (torn diaphragm) frequently so it may have been replaced due to that. Usually ones that vent to atmosphere are bad because they let out unmetered air, so I'd check that. Pretty sure those year range GTIs are the ones with the cam follower issue as well, so read up on that and know what you're getting into.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

iv46vi posted:

I had an APR tune on my 07 when I had it, got it installed around 40K miles and I got rid of the car with ~120k and I never had an issue. If you wanted to go back to a stock style diverter valve instead of a BOV there's an Audi piston style diverter that is less likely to fail with a tune, although the stock diaphragm style could also fail without a tune so it's just a general good upgrade.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Go Fast Bits DV+, per my VW loving friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Reading about tunes makes me want to throw a jb1 on my car. But then there's the creeping terror that something will go wrong and VW will void my warranty :oh dear:

Also the seat makes my right leg tingle. Awesome. Guess I'll get a cushion for my old rear end.