Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Renegret posted:

we're both idiots who hate money

Apply for clear homerun jobs where you're overqualified, get the offer, and reject the gently caress out of them. It will make you feel a lot better about your job worth to turn down companies who want you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Renegret posted:

gonna e/n for a second here but honestly my biggest obstacle is job rejection fatigue.

Maybe I suck at interviews, perhaps I'm just a lovely human being and don't realize it, but I'm just tired of being rejected all the time. Every interview I've had for the past 2 years ended up in a rejection, even the ones that I didn't really want that much. I'm stuck in that catch 22 of needing experience to get a job that will get me the experience.

I know this feel. It's a familiar feel. It sucks.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
We had performance appraisals today. I went in already pissed and annoyed at this place, but with the added confidence that I don't actually NEED this job anymore. I have the experience and connections to get work. I'm leaving this place no doubt, but my remaining time here will be spent on my own terms.

On my self-appraisal, I put that over the next year, I plan on finding a proper balance between my coordinator duties and my newfound technician duties. When he asked me to list what percentage of my time is spent on each area of my job description, I listed that 70% of my time is spent offering tech support, 20% is towards maintenance of technology, and 10% for administrative duties. I told him that 70% and 20% need to switch but it's impossible with just me working. His advice was "just spend less time doing tech support. You need to manage your time better."

Deal. Here's how the next year is going:

- Tech support is down to two days a week. If it breaks on an off-day, you'd better have a contingency in place because "mouse died" doesn't grind teaching to a halt.

- No new projects that aren't specifically proposed by myself. I don't care that random math teacher wants to start using some bullshit LMS no one else has heard of that requires I spin up its own VM to host it. I don't care that such and such school uses virtual reality to teach foreign languages. I don't care that you want to be able to play 30 year old VHSs on the projector in the auditorium. Find a way to make what you have work for you for the next year.

- This next year is solely to be spent on stabilizing our infrastructure. It's old, it's poorly maintained, and we are in desperate need of upgrades. I've worked out deals with schools all over the state to donate actually nice equipment that will result in an entirely new network infrastructure for absolutely zero dollars and I refuse to let some bullshit pie in the sky idea from entitled faculty take up a second of my precious time until we've got a modern network in place.

- I will be saying "no" a lot more. People can deal with it.

- Moving from analog lines to a VOIP system will save us $20k a year. That money is to go directly into my budget and is not to be touched by anyone and will be specifically set aside to hire a skilled employee for at least $40k a year. (that's honestly a lot of money around here)

- Fridays I will be working from home and am not to be disturbed unless something is on fire.

This is all in writing and was signed by both myself and the director. It's amazing how quickly he backs down when someone shows even the slightest bit of backbone.

I got an interview for a Database III Programmer.

It's a good day, guys :unsmith:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

We had performance appraisals today. I went in already pissed and annoyed at this place, but with the added confidence that I don't actually NEED this job anymore. I have the experience and connections to get work. I'm leaving this place no doubt, but my remaining time here will be spent on my own terms.

On my self-appraisal, I put that over the next year, I plan on finding a proper balance between my coordinator duties and my newfound technician duties. When he asked me to list what percentage of my time is spent on each area of my job description, I listed that 70% of my time is spent offering tech support, 20% is towards maintenance of technology, and 10% for administrative duties. I told him that 70% and 20% need to switch but it's impossible with just me working. His advice was "just spend less time doing tech support. You need to manage your time better."

- Tech support is down to two days a week. If it breaks on an off-day, you'd better have a contingency in place because "mouse died" doesn't grind teaching to a halt.

- No new projects that aren't specifically proposed by myself. I don't care that random math teacher wants to start using some bullshit LMS no one else has heard of that requires I spin up its own VM to host it. I don't care that such and such school uses virtual reality to teach foreign languages. I don't care that you want to be able to play 30 year old VHSs on the projector in the auditorium. Find a way to make what you have work for you for the next year.

- This next year is solely to be spent on stabilizing our infrastructure. It's old, it's poorly maintained, and we are in desperate need of upgrades. I've worked out deals with schools all over the state to donate actually nice equipment that will result in an entirely new network infrastructure for absolutely zero dollars and I refuse to let some bullshit pie in the sky idea from entitled faculty take up a second of my precious time until we've got a modern network in place.

- Moving from analog lines to a VOIP system will save us $20k a year. That money is to go directly into my budget and is not to be touched by anyone and will be specifically set aside to hire a skilled employee for at least $40k a year. (that's honestly a lot of money around here)

- Fridays I will be working from home and am not to be disturbed unless something is on fire.

This is all in writing and was signed by both myself and the director. It's amazing how quickly he backs down when someone shows even the slightest bit of backbone.

GO, LARCHES, GO!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

<<larches draws a line in the sand>>

Go, you!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
While you're replacing equipment make a wreath out of old ram chips and hang it above your desk. Refuse to answer any questions about it.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Kurieg posted:

While you're replacing equipment make an anarchy symbol out of old ram chips and hang it above your desk. Refuse to answer any questions about it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Kurieg posted:

While you're replacing equipment make a wreath out of old ram chips and hang it above your desk. Refuse to answer any questions about it. Make up stories about an IT Loa.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Kurieg posted:

While you're replacing equipment make a wreath out of old ram chips and hang it above your desk. Refuse to answer any questions about it. Tell them it's none of their concern.

e: Wait, that might be going in the wrong direction

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Dick Trauma posted:

There was a box of passable croissants in the kitchen this morning, so I'm not going to quit. :colbert:

And now there's a big box of cookies and brownies in there. Gotdamn.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Renegret posted:

Cool I just had a chat with the guy who got the last network job over me because I just remembered something.

A little less than 2 years ago we were both CCNA-less. The department decided they were going to do some extra training and get some people their CCNAs. I was notified that I was selected for the program, except by that point I was already studying hard for a month, and I had already scheduled my ICND1 the same week that the classes were set to start. I had a chat with the manager of the network team and told him that because I'm so far along, a lot of the class would be wasted on me and it would be better for the team if I just continued doing my own thing and stepped aside for someone else to take the class who would get more value out of it than I would.

The person who got the promotion over me is the same person who got a spot in that class because I stepped aside. He admitted to me he would've never gotten his CCNA without that class.

I lost a promotion because I did the right thing.

What a lovely way to learn an obvious lesson.

While this sucks in some pretty spectacular ways, doing the right thing does not always produce the desired result. The fact that you stepped aside to help the guy next to you speaks volumes, so please don't lose sight of the fact this was a very good thing for you to do. Sometimes life just sucks and gives you the short stick :(

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
I got a job offer yesterday doing exactly what I do now for a competitor but with more pay, certifications paid for, and a clear promotion path. I called my boss this morning because I quite frankly have no idea if I signed a non-compete when I started here two years ago, and when he asked why I'd need that information I told him honestly.

30 seconds later the senior vice president of the Midwest called me, offered to match the other company, plus cert reimbursement and a clear plan to move into an analyst role.

I told him I'd stay if he could make that happen. He has 48 hours before I accept the other job. Hoping that was the right call.

Funnily enough no one directly answered if I signed a non-compete, but given the quick turnaround and counteroffer I'm going to guess the answer is "no".

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Happy story:

In less than 5 years I doubled my income and now make more than my team lead at my old job does now (public institution, public pay scale) with more engaging work and lots of fringe benefits.

I still get super loving annoyed when the VP does something stupid, but it's still much better.

Cheer up, anyone who's feeling stuck. There is hope.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ChubbyThePhat posted:

While this sucks in some pretty spectacular ways, doing the right thing does not always produce the desired result. The fact that you stepped aside to help the guy next to you speaks volumes, so please don't lose sight of the fact this was a very good thing for you to do. Sometimes life just sucks and gives you the short stick :(

Something that's slightly frustrating is that I'm friends with the person who got it. I have nothing but respect for the guy and I just can't be mad at him. When I passed off that spot in the training class, he got it because I specifically requested that he would get it. If it was anybody else who got the job I'd be punching holes through walls, but this guy really does deserve it. Which is not to say I don't think I don't deserve it either. I'm legitimately happy for him and I know he's going to do well.

That being said, if I ever find out that they chose him because he's a father of two kids who is forced to work two jobs to support his family because his wife doesn't work, and I'm a DINK. Well, there's going to be hell.

e: but thank you, your post makes me feel a little better about myself :)

Renegret fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 24, 2018

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Oyster posted:

I got a job offer yesterday doing exactly what I do now for a competitor but with more pay, certifications paid for, and a clear promotion path. I called my boss this morning because I quite frankly have no idea if I signed a non-compete when I started here two years ago, and when he asked why I'd need that information I told him honestly.

30 seconds later the senior vice president of the Midwest called me, offered to match the other company, plus cert reimbursement and a clear plan to move into an analyst role.

I told him I'd stay if he could make that happen. He has 48 hours before I accept the other job. Hoping that was the right call.

Funnily enough no one directly answered if I signed a non-compete, but given the quick turnaround and counteroffer I'm going to guess the answer is "no".

Strongly consider taking a counter-offer. This thread is proof that there are no absolutes, and sometimes counter-offers can work out for the better.

But remember that this company had to be threatened into losing you as an employee before they were willing to budge. The competitor was willing to offer you everything you wanted based on your resume and interview. They might have a bit more respect for you out of the gate.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

But remember that this company had to be threatened into losing you as an employee before they were willing to budge. The competitor was willing to offer you everything you wanted based on your resume and interview. They might have a bit more respect for you out of the gate.

Very possible, but also possible that they were so wrapped up in their own lives and objectives that they needed a little jolt to remind them that their well-performing employee existed and shouldn't be taken for granted. We don't know they were "unwilling to budge" before because we don't know if Oyster ever asked for these things.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Jaded Burnout posted:

Very possible, but also possible that they were so wrapped up in their own lives and objectives that they needed a little jolt to remind them that their well-performing employee existed and shouldn't be taken for granted. We don't know they were "unwilling to budge" before because we don't know if Oyster ever asked for these things.

During my last reviews I specifically stated that what I make is not sustainable, especially on 3% raises that were handed out. My boss responded that he had no control over it and in fact didn't even know how much I make, which I was a bit dumbfounded by. When the SVP called he quoted exactly what I make and asked specifically if matching the other company would be enough. Seems like I just needed to get to the correct people.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ChubbyThePhat posted:

And don't let that stop you from being a good person and doing the right thing. Sometimes it sucks (but you can console yourself knowing you are a good person and not an rear end in a top hat), and other times you see the good feedback.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
You did what you thought was right and had no way of knowing how the future would have panned out. There's no guarantee that you would have gotten the job even if you didn't give up the class to him.

I do think you are a cool person for doing that though. And i'd say, don't lose sight of your morals but do look out for yourself 1st.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

VIVA EL LARCHES! (Los larches?)

Oyster posted:

Get it in writing, after corporate counsel approves of it. Get all the copies signed by you, the SVP, and a witness. Insist on retaining a written copy.

You'll need that when they break all their promises and you sue them for breach.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Apply for clear homerun jobs where you're overqualified, get the offer, and reject the gently caress out of them. It will make you feel a lot better about your job worth to turn down companies who want you.

One of my brothers is an industrial electrician and he applied for a job that was right in his wheelhouse, paid better, and was a shorter commute. He nailed the interview and the practical but then got offered way less than he was currently making and they had advertised, so he asked what the hell that was supposed to mean and the HR flack told him "we just use that first salary to attract the kind of quality applicants we want to hire"

He declined the job and told me his only regret was that he wasn't on a landline so he could slam the phone down hanging up on her.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

And who knows, maybe he’ll come through for you sometime. I had lost a really lovely job at 16.5/hr in 2016, got submitted for a job at $22/hr and was told I didn’t get it on Friday. First thing in the morning Monday I get a call saying they want me after all. Either later Monday or on Tuesday somebody I worked with way back in 2014 messaged me on LinkedIn. Turns out he worked there, said he heard I had applied, and that he hoped I got it.

My only conclusion is that I got a 33% pay bump after a month of unemployment because of a guy that I worked with but barely interacted with years before. A guy you helped get a job like that, he’ll definitely vouch for you in the future.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Oyster posted:

During my last reviews I specifically stated that what I make is not sustainable, especially on 3% raises that were handed out. My boss responded that he had no control over it and in fact didn't even know how much I make, which I was a bit dumbfounded by. When the SVP called he quoted exactly what I make and asked specifically if matching the other company would be enough. Seems like I just needed to get to the correct people.

Yeah, gently caress 'em then.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Strongly consider taking a counter-offer. This thread is proof that there are no absolutes, and sometimes counter-offers can work out for the better.

I think conventional wisdom is that taking a counteroffer is very dangerous. From the company's perspective, the play is: give him what he wants, but start looking for a replacement and 6 months later fire him. Because if he was dissatisfied enough to start looking for other positions, he's going to be dissatisfied again and he'll never be fully on board.

Not universal by any means, but I've heard this a lot.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Happy story: Four years ago I went from unemployed for almost a year, to a lovely factory job just to have something, to an office job, to getting IT certs, to making almost triple what I made before any certs. Sometimes things do work out, but I wasted all of my 20s and part of my 30s in awful jobs when I should have just gone right to IT in the first place.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

I know what a database is and I know how to finagle some ugly code to get the data I want out of it, but that's about it.
Just from those two points you're more qualified than the majority of people who applied for a DBA position with us.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Oyster posted:

asked specifically if matching the other company would be enough.

Your company values you enough not to want to lose you, but are clearly trying to offer you the minimum to get you to stay.

You should ask for more concrete things, whether it's salary, vacation, etc. that makes staying MORE attractive than moving on. The other company is already offering those things and so you are much more likely to get more from them than they're offering now, whether it's through negotiating your current offer or in the future.

Not to mention that unless your raises are set in stone, you could just be negotiating yourself out of future raises. "Sorry, we don't have the budget anymore, ever since we gave you that raise, haha, what a coincidence."

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

totalnewbie posted:

Your company values you enough not to want to lose you, but are clearly trying to offer you the minimum to get you to stay.

You should ask for more concrete things, whether it's salary, vacation, etc. that makes staying MORE attractive than moving on. The other company is already offering those things and so you are much more likely to get more from them than they're offering now, whether it's through negotiating your current offer or in the future.

Not to mention that unless your raises are set in stone, you could just be negotiating yourself out of future raises. "Sorry, we don't have the budget anymore, ever since we gave you that raise, haha, what a coincidence."

He came back with $2k higher than what the other company was offering (and what he offered this morning) and specific instructions on how to get certs counted as tuition reimbursement. You raise a valid point about future raises and that crossed my mind as well, along with the fact that the other company has set advancements that my current one does not. I have 24 hours yet, and it may come down to if I can get milestones for advancement with my current company that ends with me in an analyst position.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Fool posted:

Make up stories about an IT Loa.
This used to hang on one of the labs in Dublin City University. Cost some friends the chance to ever work with Microsoft when they spun some recruiters a bullshit story about it on an industry visit day.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Oyster posted:

He came back with $2k higher than what the other company was offering (and what he offered this morning) and specific instructions on how to get certs counted as tuition reimbursement. You raise a valid point about future raises and that crossed my mind as well, along with the fact that the other company has set advancements that my current one does not. I have 24 hours yet, and it may come down to if I can get milestones for advancement with my current company that ends with me in an analyst position.

Talk to the competitor, say that you'd need their salary to be higher due to your corporation's counter offer. If they cave, great. If they don't, take the counter.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

Talk to the competitor, say that you'd need their salary to be higher due to your corporation's counter offer. If they cave, great. If they don't, take the counter.

Do not go down this road. Either take the counter-offer or don't. Once you start playing games like this, it's really easy to get the rug pulled out from under you.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Proteus Jones posted:

Do not go down this road. Either take the counter-offer or don't. Once you start playing games like this, it's really easy to get the rug pulled out from under you.

Yeah you've been through the interviews and you know what each company is like. What do you think is the best fit for you? Who do you like better? Go with them and be happy.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Renegret posted:

What have I been rejected from internally...

let's see

Network team: 2 times. 3 if you count the time where I comedy applied despite being horribly unqualified.
Video team: 3 times.
Supervisor: 2
Systems : 1

(e: oh yeah, 1 more for an admin position supporting an internal tool. The person who ended up getting the job, is a bigger tool than the tool she got hired to support)

All internal job postings have to go through HR and have a phone screening with HR first. At this point I'm on the first name basis with the HR lady, and when she sees my name pop up she just calls me and says "hey I'm sending your name up to management, nice talking to you again!"

thank you for listening this has been the renegret e/n therapy station nation
Did you follow up with the people interviewing asking why you weren't the better candidate? Having a one on one with some of the peeps you interviewed with, or even just an e-mail can be really useful. It might be something small you don't even think about but just makes you look bad even through you're just as qualified. Or it could be something you can change like the CCNA cert you got previously. Does your direct supervisor know you want to move up and are they willing to help?

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

larchesdanrew posted:

Split your Director with blood and thunder!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

Happy story: Four years ago I went from unemployed for almost a year, to a lovely factory job just to have something, to an office job, to getting IT certs, to making almost triple what I made before any certs. Sometimes things do work out, but I wasted all of my 20s and part of my 30s in awful jobs when I should have just gone right to IT in the first place.

:same:

lovely jobs all through my 20s until I got a job as an office gopher and had time to cert up and then job hop. Minimum wage at 30, well above national median household income at 32.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Making minimum wage in your early 30s crew checking in: I'm in a much better place now but I had a brief stint where I had to work retail to make ends meet. It was a very humbling experience having previously had a comfortable salaried job, but I'm glad it happened.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Dropped out of uni (family's sole provider got injured and couldn't work), got an "ok" job. Got £3000 raise in a year. Year later quit that job for another £3500 raise. 2 years later, quit that job when they don't keep their promises and start giving me poo poo, get a £2500 raise.

I'm only 24 and every time I feel bad about how life is going I type that out, because despite me dropping out of uni and failing a ton of classes, i'm still doing pretty well in the grand scheme of things. Onwards and upwards for all, IT is very much work your way up if you're willing to work hard. I love IT. Even though i hate it. Sometimes.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
The best graffiti came in.

Last night, someone drew a photo-realistic Ronald Reagan on the whiteboard in the student lounge with the text, "Mr. [larchesdanrew], tear down this Smoothwall."

I want to get it framed.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

Bigass Moth posted:

I followed pretty much the same path, except I'm still only making average money in IT at 33. But you know what? It's work I like doing and I call what I did in my 20's "paying my dues" because it helps me sleep at night!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

larchesdanrew posted:

The best graffiti came in.

Last night, someone drew a photo-realistic Ronald Reagan on the whiteboard in the student lounge with the text, "Mr. [larchesdanrew], tear down this Smoothwall."

I want to get it framed.

Please tell me you have a picture.