Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

David Corbett posted:

Say what you’d like about Danganrompa, but what’s your problem with the Muppet Christmas Carol? Answer carefully.

Making Kermit the poor worker is awkward at best, given he is usually at least the manager if not owner of the theatre the Muppets work in.

I think if you compare it to the similarly ridiculous Muppet Treasure Island it ends up being the weaker of the two. Partially because the story being used is less immediately adventurous and funny. It doesn’t help that from memory the Muppet Christmas Carol is less a movie about/featuring Muppets and more one where they just happen to exist.

In essence it is a Christmas Carol movie first and a Muppet Movie Second, whereas Treasure Island gives both halves equal footing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

resurgam40 posted:

Pheeeew! And I can finally post in the thread again. I care very deeply about these last two trials, and I didn't want to say anything at all, lest I, in my eagerness, ruin the experience for anyone else. We have entered the high point of the game now, possibly of the entire series... and do you know what it all reminds me of? The Muppets.

*RECORD SCRATCH*

Wait, wait, hang on a minute there, put all of your weapons down, yess you too, in the back, rifle down. This is obviously not me saying that Dangan Ronpa is better then, or even as good as, the majority of the Muppet movies; they're not as good as The Muppet Movie, they're not as good as The Great Muppet Caper, they're not as good as Muppet Treasure Island or the Muppet Christmas Carol (even though I have other, personal issues there), they're not as good...as.... well, they might be as good as The Muppets Take Manhattan, if we're being completely honest, but that's neither here nor there. Nor am I saying that there is any sort of great message that is as sweetly profound or humane within DR as a franchise as most anything the great Jim Henson put his hand to (seriously, if you're not familiar with his body of work, educate yourself; even his "failures" are more conceptually interesting and ambitious than other people's successes... argh, message, stay on message.) No, I speak in terms of general aesthetics and presentation, of presenting something tongue firmly lodged in cheek, something that is obviously not supposed to be taken seriously that you end up taking very seriously indeed because of "teh feels." I'm talking about melodrama, friends, a story in which the principal arc is not one of characters or themes, but one of emotion- a story which bypasses all that silly nonsense of plot and character building to reach right into your chest and start tweaking- to make you laugh, to make you cry, to make you angry, to make you sick. And just as Jim Henson's creations were able to do that in spite of being obvious creations of felt and rubber being surrounded by cameos of every celebrity that says yes, Kodaka was able to do the same for millions by adapting a very particular form of animation style, one deliberately meant to be extremely silly and undercut the dark undertones of the actual story. The purpose of the presentation of both franchises, besides the immediate one of bringing distinction to each of the important characters, is largely the same: to put us off our guard so that we can be hit full force with tragedy , and in the casre of DR, it serves another purpose- to disguise which characters will end up being important, to both the plot, the mysteries being solved, and audience reception. I mean, really: last game we had a guy with a corncob on his head, for god's sake. Would you have thought, upon seeing his character, that he would be among the most popular ones, or that his arc would take the path it did?

Ridiculous... and yet that's the other thing these two franchises have in common: a complete embrace of their ridiculousness, a sincerity in them so direct you cannot help but play along, even if you know intellectually that their messages are incomplete at best. There's a pull so strong it almost becomes bullying in retrospect, and that's because it largely is- "What's that? You don't care about my silly story with the puppets/animes? Well, how about I make you care about it, then? How about I make this story about a journey to find fortune, or just put on one show on one stage, the most important thing in the world? What then, smart guy?" Such an emotional appeal doesn't really seem right for a mystery story, but why would you want to listen to a mystery if they aren't invested in solving it? I just spent the larger part of the morning looking for my keys, and it was very important to me, but something tells me you might not be as invested in it as you are when this moment happened:

I mean, look at that: our hero, in tears, showing more emotion publicly than he ever has before, trying to deny what he already knows is true... not wanting to push a button he has to push if he wants he and his friends to live. He doesn't wan't the next update to come... but we do, don't we? I sure as hell did, back when I played the first time. 1AM and a full day of work tomorrow, but I was not hitting the off button, not until I knew what happened next :suspense:

Is it cheap, to be so manipulated in a raw, naked, and unapologetic way? Oh, yeah, of course it is. There is a reason why being referred to as "melodramatic" is still seen as largely pejorative... and yet melodramas keep happening, for kids, for housewives, for romantics, for men of action, it keeps coming along in every culture, and we hop on board because sometimes we want to feel something. We want to have a niche we can slip into from time to time, quality, creativity, and even good taste be damned. That's how people are, so let's celebrate. It's time to play the music, it's time to light the lights.

Can.... Can I buy drugs from you?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Chiaki being the traitor isn't surprising to me, but I am very interested in what she means by "created". And the way monomi said her line made it seem like she was almost threatening chiaki for coming so close to directly outing herself.

Not emptyquoting but my thoughts exactly.

Although I'm still subscribing to the theory I've seen that the 'traitor' was actually there to help rehabilitate the kids with Monomi when the game started out. Sounds like Chiaki herself might be a robot or something too at this point though. And here I thought the existence of Mechamaru was strange enough...

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Resurgam are you saying this children's game is similar to the mupputs because it's silly and comedic while takes itself seriously and is dramatic? That's basically Young Adult/Children as a genre right now. Rick and Morty, Bojack Horseman, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, Young Adult literature in general. It's because the visuals/descriptions/comedy are flashy enough to capture the attention of young people and be cool, while their age group maturing allows for increased stakes and more realistic depictions of life and consequences.

I think the traits you described could be used to talk about a whole genre really. I think I could even say Home Alone is like Dangan Ronpa if we only talk about how it's comedic but dark in that people are trying to kill that kid, but you're also invested in it and willing to believe the kid can fight off the burglars because you care about him.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

resurgam40 posted:

Muppets Muppets Muppets Muppets Muppets

The only Muppets media I saw as a kid was Muppets in Space. I laughed so hard that the ushers had to ask me to stop.

Feel free to pick those weapons up again.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

resurgam40 posted:

Ridiculous... and yet that's the other thing these two franchises have in common: a complete embrace of their ridiculousness, a sincerity in them so direct you cannot help but play along, even if you know intellectually that their messages are incomplete at best. There's a pull so strong it almost becomes bullying in retrospect, and that's because it largely is- "What's that? You don't care about my silly story with the puppets/animes? Well, how about I make you care about it, then? How about I make this story about a journey to find fortune, or just put on one show on one stage, the most important thing in the world? What then, smart guy?" Such an emotional appeal doesn't really seem right for a mystery story, but why would you want to listen to a mystery if they aren't invested in solving it? I just spent the larger part of the morning looking for my keys, and it was very important to me, but something tells me you might not be as invested in it as you are when this moment happened:

I mean, look at that: our hero, in tears, showing more emotion publicly than he ever has before, trying to deny what he already knows is true... not wanting to push a button he has to push if he wants he and his friends to live. He doesn't wan't the next update to come... but we do, don't we? I sure as hell did, back when I played the first time. 1AM and a full day of work tomorrow, but I was not hitting the off button, not until I knew what happened next :suspense:

Is it cheap, to be so manipulated in a raw, naked, and unapologetic way? Oh, yeah, of course it is. There is a reason why being referred to as "melodramatic" is still seen as largely pejorative... and yet melodramas keep happening, for kids, for housewives, for romantics, for men of action, it keeps coming along in every culture, and we hop on board because sometimes we want to feel something. We want to have a niche we can slip into from time to time, quality, creativity, and even good taste be damned. That's how people are, so let's celebrate. It's time to play the music, it's time to light the lights.

There is a certain art to presenting what I am going to term "hesitation moments" - choices in videogames that aren't really choices and yet are the hardest choices. This isn't really something you see generally in western games, or, somewhat paradoxically, in games that habitually offer choices that meaningfully alter the course of the game.

These things are distinct from straight up moral dilemmas - even the best ones that challenge you to step back from thinking about what will put the most points in your Morality Meter and actually think about which if either of these actions is just wrong (such as; [Mass Effect 2] Destroying vs Brainwashing the heretic Geth). Even the best of those, the ones that make you stop and think, still ultimately come down to allowing you to decide something meaningful. But hesitation gambits lean directly into arguably the central tension of all videogames; that they are ultimately 100% scripted, 100% determined, 100% inevitable. They're not about letting you decide something (although they do require you to Go Through A Motion), but about forcing you to accept something, and typically also offering an opportunity to take a step back from the ridiculous program output on your screen and feel something.

The still-undefeated granddaddy of these moments is of course [Metal Gear Solid 3] pulling the trigger on The Boss. Unavoidable. Inevitable. Predestined. At no point did the game or any of the characters ever pretend it wasn't going to happen, or could be averted. And yet there you are, in what perhaps you hoped would be a cutscene, suddenly realizing that it's time to press a button. The game will not proceed until you accept that it must be done.

There are others, of course. One favourite of mine is [Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All] entering a plea for Matt Engarde. This one throws a curveball by actually offering a choice, and from one obvious perspective immediately undermines itself, but the fact of it remains; here you are required to accept defeat to continue. What you choose may not have much of an effect, but arguably it says something about you, maybe. A much more contentious example is [Spec Ops: The Line] deploying White Phosphorous against enemy personnel (a war crime btw). This one rubs a few people the wrong way because of how the game directly addresses the tension of inevitability - to the player, there is no choice but to proceed (other than turn the game off), but in-game, characters explicitly question whether or not there might've been another way, in a way that comes uncomfortably close to seemingly passing judgement on the player. We might say the same of a much more drawn-out example; [Shadow of the Colossus] actually following Shadow of the Colossus' plot at all, although nobody seemed to have minded it there. That game doesn't quite make the leap to apparently judging the player that Spec Ops does, but the conceit is the same; this is wrong, and you know it, but it has to be done, doesn't it?

My point here is that The Guess fits right in there with these moments. It's not a guess at all. We know who we have to accuse. We may have suspected for a while, possibly with a reasoned case, possibly without. It's not even really a puzzle at this point. But the clock's ticking and judgement is required; it's time to press the button.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder - if we choose anyone but Chiaki here, for instance Nagito or Hajime, do we get some special scene like the 'bad ending' in DR1? Because no matter what, the result of this trial depends on a weird Monokuma interpretation of the rules. FPZero, can you check for us?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I don't really have a way to check since I don't have a save mid-trial to check from, but as far as I know there is no "bad ending" here like in DR1's Trial 5. You either choose correctly, or take some damage. There's probably some unique dialogue (there's so much unique dialogue for wrong choices and stuff in this game, see the joke update earlier) but it'll probably just be a couple lines long and then you'll take damage.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Toalpaz posted:

I think I could even say Home Alone is like Dangan Ronpa if we only talk about how it's comedic but dark in that people are trying to kill that kid, but you're also invested in it and willing to believe the kid can fight off the burglars because you care about him.

To be honest, Kevin's traps were darker than whatever the Goodfellas had in mind for him.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

help Fedule's gonna ban me I've never played a single ace attorney game

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FPzero posted:

Better post the next update quick to distract him!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

FPzero posted:

Make that two of us then! It's been on my to-play list for too long.

The Choice here is obvious, but like Fedule said, drat it hurts to do.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Honestly this is really more of a mod challenge situation.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

FPzero posted:

I've never played a single ace attorney game

I object! This is... objectionable!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video! :siren:

: ...

: I-It's...you...?

: Chiaki...you're the traitor?

: P-Please...hold on!

: ...Aww, you totally guessed right! Just as expected... Yep, you're correct. ...I'm the traitor. The agent sent by the Future Foundation to hide among you all...is me.

Dammit...! Why...!

This is... I mean... This nonsense is... Why...?

Why does this make sense!?

: H-Hey Chiaki... A-Are you being serious right now?
: Ch-Chiaki is the traitor...? That is a lie, right? Surely you must be joking?
: ...I'm sorry. It's the truth.
: Hey...what're you sayin' sorry for...!?

: Wh-What does this mean? You...up till now...you're been tricking us?
: W-We were not tricked!

: After all, we have been working together all this time... We have been helping each other all this time... Chiaki...being a traitor... Being a member of that horrifying Future Foundation...

: That is obviously a lie!
: P-Please! Wait...! The Future Foundation isn't what you think it is...
: Shut the gently caress up! We're talking to Chiaki!

: No, I have nothing more to say.
: Wh-Why...!?
: Cuz we already know the killer's true identity... So the only thing left to do...is vote.

: H-Hold on! We're not satisfied yet!
: If you say you are the traitor, please provide an explanation that will help us understand!
: We cannot vote until we are satisfied. That is what you said earlier, Chiaki!

: Hey...if you're really the traitor, why'd you wait till now to reveal yourself?
: I-It's weird, isn't it...? Waiting until right now to out yourself...

Music fades out.

: It's definitely strange, right? Or rather...why was I able to do that?

: Maybe...I wanted to protect everyone, no matter the cost.

...Huh?

: Hey Hajime, can you do me a small favor?
: F-Favor...? Me...?
: ...I want you to prove to them that I'm the traitor.

: What...?
: What are you saying!? Why do I have to do that...!?

: I want to explain everything to you guys but...as I expected, that's rather difficult.
: That's why...the only thing I can do is plead with you...

: I want you to do it. I believe you can prove it.
: Whether I can prove it or not...that's not the problem...

: Don't you understand!? You may as well be asking me to kill you!
: I... There's no way I can do that...!

: I'm very sorry...but this is the only way. So...please.
: Tch...!

: Looks like...we gotta do what we can...
: It's not like I believe she's the traitor, there's just no way we can ignore this without confirming it...
: If...she was just disguised or something, this would've been a heck of a lot easier for us to understand but...

Music cuts out.

: Sh-She's not disguised at all!

: Cuz...Chiaki isn't the traitor!
: Monomi...?
: H-Hehe...too bad...

: I'm not part of the same group as that girl! I don't know anything about that girl at all!
: ...Hey, are you trying to cover for her like that? You suck!
: I've...always been alone... I...have no friends...anywhere...

: That's why I have no relation to Chiaki whatsoever!
: Hajime, you're going to listen to my request...right?

Dammit...!

: Ch-Chiaki isn't my friend!
: I hate Chiaki so much!

Monomi and Chiaki's relationship... Proving it here...is that the only way...!?

: Monomi attacks slowly with large groups of phrases at one time. Which is both a good and bad thing since if you mess up you'll have a lot of phrases to break through but if you don't you can wipe the screen really easily.

: This one went surprisingly well in recordings.

: Chiaki and I aren't best friends!

: When we investigated Nagito's cottage, I discovered a notebook with an Usami logo on it... That's...your notebook, right? The one Nagito stole from you.
: I-I dunno...I dunno...
: Don't tell me... Is that where the traitor's true identity is written?

: Thaaaat's right! Since I knew something like this would happen, I made sure to bring it here today!
: Ha-wa-wa! So sudden!?
: G-Gimme that notebook!

"Day 1: I was able to talk to everyone for the first time today! Monokuma showed up and things turned bad!"

"Day 2: Byakuya is the leader! A lot of things happened today so everyone's tired!"

: Huh? What is this? Is this...Monomi's diary?
: ...Is the traitor's identity written in here?

: Nagito was probably looking for that too, so that might be why he stole the notebook... But you wouldn't know who the traitor is just by reading this notebook. Of course, Nagito wouldn't know either...
: However, it's different for me.
: You know!?

: It took me this long...but I finally understand.

No, the truth is I might've already known the moment I found this notebook... It's just...I wanted to turn my eyes from the truth it contained...

But now I clearly know. I...can't help but know...

: First of all, this isn't Monomi's diary. Apparently she can't write.
: Then the one who wrote this is...!
: Someone connected to Monomi... Meaning, it's not a mistake to think that the traitor wrote it.

: If so, is this...like a report that the traitor was sending to Monomi?
: Is it evidence that they were observing our actions...and reporting to Monomi!?
: But how would you know who the traitor is from that?
: Because...there's an entry written in here that only me and one other person would know.

The topic we discussed in that entry...

> Final Dead Room

: In the notebook...there was a specific entry.

"Day 16: We've been in the Funhouse for three days! Everyone's hungry and on edge! Hajime tried to go in the Final Dead Room today. He's probably panicking because no one believes him."

: There is is... It's true, I tried to go inside the Final Dead Room...
: But the only one who knew that...

: I-If I win the Life-Threatening Game here... I'll...be able to go to that Octagon place, right...?

That's...where the exit should be!

I did it...I finally did it... I finally figured out where the exit is...

: I can get out! With this, I can finally get out!
: ...You can't do that.

: You shouldn't go in there. You...won't find what you're looking for.

: That's right... The only person who knew that is...Chiaki. That's why Chiaki is the only person who could've possibly written about this!

Music cuts out.

: There must be some mistake!

: I mean...if Chiaki is the traitor... What was all that time we spent with her!? Was that all a lie too!?
: Miss Sonia...!
: Chiaki is... She is being controlled by Monokuma. That is why...we should help her...

: I-I'm not satisfied either... I mean, if you were the traitor, there's no way you'd do somethin' so stupid when we found the bomb!

: It's really stupid to be fighting over something like this.

And so, with an annoyed expression on her face, Chiaki walked over to the bombs without saying a word...took her handbook out of her pocket...

: Huh?

...and without hesitating, swiped the card reader.

*Bzzzz!*

: Looks like...it was wrong.

: Now that you mention it...Chiaki immediately went to the card reader with her handbook.
: She tested it out right away after being told it would only react to the traitor's handbook...
: That doesn't make any sense! A traitor would be more cautious than that!

: Chiaki probably knew the bomb was a fake. That's why she also knew Nagito's trap was a bluff...
: Sh-She knew...?
: That is a mistake! That must be a mistake!

: Why are you saying such things!? Do you really want Chiaki to be the traitor!?
: Of course not...!
: ...I will not believe it! I refuse to believe Chiaki is the traitor!
: There is...just no way!

I don't want to believe it either...

I don't want to believe but...

: But...then nobody will be saved!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Random place for a Dragon Ball reference.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Getting just a little annoyed with absolutely none of these kids seeming able to figure out that Monomi and Monokuma are on different sides...

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Zoe posted:

Getting just a little annoyed with absolutely none of these kids seeming able to figure out that Monomi and Monokuma are on different sides...

Really though, that was blatantly displayed from the second monokuma showed up way back at the start.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

Zoe posted:

Even going beyond that, they just seem to have taken Monokuma's word that the Future Foundation is evil.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

I think that the most important thing to take away from this update is:

FPzero posted:

"Day 1: I was able to talk to everyone for the first time today! Monokuma showed up and things turned bad!"

"Day 2: Byakuya is the leader! A lot of things happened today so everyone's tired!"

This is how Chiaki writes.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

BlazeEmblem posted:

And draws!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Nephrite posted:

Even going beyond that, they just seem to have taken Monokuma's word that the Future Foundation is evil.

If only Fat-togami had lived so that he could have pointed out how stupid this is!

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Here's the thing I don't understand, and that the game better explain:

So Chiaki's the traitor. Can they prove that she was the one who actually threw the poison? Because she can be the traitor and still not guilty of Nagito's death.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

BlazeEmblem posted:

FPzero posted:

And draws!

She good at writing to her target audience

C. Everett Koop posted:

So Chiaki's the traitor. Can they prove that she was the one who actually threw the poison? Because she can be the traitor and still not guilty of Nagito's death.

Prove 100%? No. But Nagito wanted the traitor to be the one and he's lucky as all hell, so the traitor is the best guess they have.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

C. Everett Koop posted:

The game has already explained it. Nagito's luck would have it that the person who he wanted to be killed by, the traitor, would be the one who throw the poison grenade.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

BlazeEmblem posted:

Forgive me if :thejoke:, but I thought chiaki was intentionally writing as though she was monomi in order to pass it off as monomi's journal. After all if she wrote it like a normal person then the jig would have been up as soon as they found it in Nagito's room. And speaking of which, he was probably able to put 2 and 2 together and realize that chiaki was the traitor when he stole the notebook in the first place.That raises the question, why didn't he just murder her if he wanted the traitor dead so bad?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

C. Everett Koop posted:

The proof is that Nagito's luck ensured the traitor threw the poison grenade. The whole cast already agreed to that an update or two ago, and this was proving who that traitor was.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
True despair would be everyone agreeing to that conclusion and Monokuma going, 'haha hope, Nagito's luck failed him this time. The person who threw the actual grenade was Akane. You lose!'

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Forgive me if :thejoke:, but I thought chiaki was intentionally writing as though she was monomi in order to pass it off as monomi's journal. After all if she wrote it like a normal person then the jig would have been up as soon as they found it in Nagito's room. And speaking of which, he was probably able to put 2 and 2 together and realize that chiaki was the traitor when he stole the notebook in the first place.That raises the question, why didn't he just murder her if he wanted the traitor dead so bad?

Because he also wants the rest of the class to know and turn on the traitor too I assume?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Nagito couldn't figure out who the traitor was since only Hajime and Chiaki knew about Hajime going to the Final Dead Room.

The best he could was probably determine that the traitor wasn't Hajime. If he really wanted to be suspicious he could have presumed it was one of the girls (since Hajime stayed with them on that side of the Funhouse), but it wouldn't have been a slam dunk.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Was this foreshadowed before? Someone please remind me so I don’t have to re read the whole LP.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I really really don't want to see Chiaki die. Nagito better get ruled the real killer after all or these kids better rebel or something, drat it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
What exactly did the traitor do though. Do they have any proof they did anything especially terrible enough to warrant an elaborate and extremely painful suicide to reveal them.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Hemingway To Go! posted:

What exactly did the traitor do though. Do they have any proof they did anything especially terrible enough to warrant an elaborate and extremely painful suicide to reveal them.

no time to think about that, got an elaborate and painful suicide to plan

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Zoe posted:

I really really don't want to see Chiaki die. Nagito better get ruled the real killer after all or these kids better rebel or something, drat it.

agreed. like if you invite me over to your house and I open the door when you say come in and that triggers some horrifying rube goldburg kill machine that I know nothing about and you get killed by said machine you set up yourself, that's murder? definitely elaborate suicide.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

And Monokuma is an unfair piece of trash.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

FPzero posted:

And draws!

Looks like my theory she was one of the teachers has been refuted.

On the plus side, we now know why she asked Hajime to search the bookshelf. She couldn't show him the journal herself because she couldn't directly reveal herself to be the traitor.

I admit it will be a hell of a twist to find out Chiaki is the robot and Monomi is operating her.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
e: accidental double post

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I remember a fringe theory from the original onenronen DR2 thread about this whole thing being in some sort of virtual reality. and Chiaki saying stuff like she's "not able to" do certain stuff almost makes me wonder if her avatar has been literally programmed to not be able to do things like reveal herself as the traitor (with the exception of that time she said it outright, but even she seemed to be surprised about that)

Still have no idea how Monomi is tied up in all of it though.....Either she or Chiaki is probably an avatar for a DR1 character or something if this is indeed a virtual world or a game of some sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

timp posted:

I remember a fringe theory from the original onenronen DR2 thread about this whole thing being in some sort of virtual reality. and Chiaki saying stuff like she's "not able to" do certain stuff almost makes me wonder if her avatar has been literally programmed to not be able to do things like reveal herself as the traitor (with the exception of that time she said it outright, but even she seemed to be surprised about that)

Still have no idea how Monomi is tied up in all of it though.....Either she or Chiaki is probably an avatar for a DR1 character or something if this is indeed a virtual world or a game of some sort.

With the "magic spells" that Monomi/Monobear can do which are wayyyyyyyyy out of the realms of traditional robot territory, the general reality shenanigans (Monobear mountain's escalator tongue of fun, the monobeasts, etc etc), and Chiaki now talking about being "created" -- it's p obvious that the class is either in a simulation/dream or in the far, far future.

• Locked thread