Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gotta balance out BSam somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Season 3 was Rick & Morty's best season yet but there's definitely been a backlash growing. I wouldn't be surprised if the internet is completely over the show by the time Season 4 premieres.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It doesn't really matter what the internet thinks as the general public was all over season 3. According to Adult Swim it was their highest rated show ever.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I can't believe MERYL STREEP is going to be in Big Little Lies.

I was so sceptical about a second season but they are doing everything they can to make up for ruining the perfect end to the show.

Meryl Streep!!!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's also the old classic teenage "trend" mindset. That two or three seasons is the right amount for something you thought was cool to now be something that other people think is cool and you don't really want to agree with those people. Kids have been doing that forever about everything.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Croatoan posted:

Are you guys serious about Black Lightning? All I've seen is the trailer and holy poo poo that costume just looks dumb AF.

Black Lightning is real good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While there's no network attached Margaret Atwood's MaddAddam trilogy is being developed for TV. The book series is about a world ruined by climate change and mega corps.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

muscles like this! posted:

While there's no network attached Margaret Atwood's MaddAddam trilogy is being developed for TV. The book series is about a world ruined by climate change and mega corps.

Can't wait for the tv show to be about how big government over-regulated corporations until God smote the earth with bad weather.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

bull3964 posted:

The thread made toxic Rick and Morty from episode 6 look well adjusted.

By and large, many found it boring and devoid of jokes. I remember a few saying that the writing was getting lazy about how overpowered Rick was. They should really kill off Jerry because he's pointless on the show now. All characters are shallow and just give speeches about their mental state.

Seriously, the S3 progression that I mentioned earlier was BASED off the Rick and Morty thread.

I went digging for it and then stopped when I felt the urge to kill myself set in, but some motherfucker in that thread made a chart

A CHART

as a “funny” way to blame the “declining quality” on Dan Harmon’s increased involvement.

A loving CHART

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

It doesn't really matter what the internet thinks as the general public was all over season 3. According to Adult Swim it was their highest rated show ever.
Is Rick and Morty actually a good show? I haven't seen a minute of it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't think so, but I haven't watched more than a few episodes. Just did nothing for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Which is absolutely fine. It's just when you are already on-board for the last 20 episodes and suddenly reject 10 more of the same saying it's changed so much, you got some real cognitive dissonance going on there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Do you like Dan Harmon stuff because it is very Dan Harmon.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bull3964 posted:

Which is absolutely fine. It's just when you are already on-board for the last 20 episodes and suddenly reject 10 more of the same saying it's changed so much, you got some real cognitive dissonance going on there.

The opposite happens sometimes too. Season 4 of Rectify was easily the worst of the series, in fact was arguably "kinda bad", but a couple people insisted it was great and I'm just like... you know how much I love that show? And even I was down on the last season?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

I've liked what I've seen of it, but it didn't really strike me as something worth obsessing over.

I've really only seen the one where Werner Herzog needs a penis transplant and then one where Rick's car battery is a separate universe or something. I liked it and all, but yeah I don't know. I guess it's just not my thing. I fizzled out on Community midway through the second season, so maybe I'm just not that into Dan Harmon.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Josh Lyman posted:

I like it. It didn't make my top ten or anything, but it's an alright show.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I've really only seen the one where Werner Herzog needs a penis transplant

I don’t remember this episode but that does sound like something Rick & Morty would do

[Edit: oh wait I remember it now]

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was Interdimensional Cable 2.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bringing this full circle, I just watched the first two episodes of Black Lightning and I will agree that it's good. Costume is kind of goofy and the superheroing is thus far the weakest part. But I think the show benefits from having their world preestablished so it's not a hero origin story (like we've got dozens of now) but rather a story of an old hero having an existential crisis about a decade of successes and failures. And a lot of the themes and topics you'd expect from a show about African American heroes, criminals, cops, and neighborhoods so far done pretty well.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So um, I really really liked tonights episode of X-Files.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

GreenNight posted:

Of course you did, it was a Darin Morgan episode. They are little nuggets of gold.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GreenNight posted:

i somehow had no idea the new season had started. :confused:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so uh I caught some of tonight's Vikings

why did nobody tell me this show is basically anime

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

precision posted:

i somehow had no idea the new season had started. :confused:

First episode was crap, but the rest have been pretty good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

so uh I caught some of tonight's Vikings

why did nobody tell me this show is basically anime

It's not. It's actually good.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

X-O posted:

It's not. It's actually good.

Vikings is definitely a live-action anime. Floki is the most tsundere character of them all.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

DivisionPost posted:

I went digging for it and then stopped when I felt the urge to kill myself set in, but some motherfucker in that thread made a chart

A CHART

as a “funny” way to blame the “declining quality” on Dan Harmon’s increased involvement.

A loving CHART

SUFFER

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Escobarbarian posted:

so to clarify, the argument here is "TVIV turns on every show in its third season because the show with the worst fanbase ever had idiots complain about the quality even though it was the best one yet"?

also didn't the Flash backlash start with s2?

Yeah, his hurp durp goon stereotyping doesn't even make sense in the case of DC shows, because those usually get the best reception in season 1 when the show is fresh and they have a lot of ideas to draw from before it settles into a groove.

Person of Interest is one example of a show where the goon consensus seems to be that season 3 is the best of the run.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I've liked what I've seen of it, but it didn't really strike me as something worth obsessing over.

From what I've seen in the internet wilderness, when it comes to Rick and Morty people seem to obsess over
a) chicken nugget meme sauce
b) how brilliant Rick is and how much they want to be like Rick, which is somehow missing the point of a show that is about as subtle as a ton of bricks

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

raditts posted:

Yeah, his hurp durp goon stereotyping doesn't even make sense in the case of DC shows, because those usually get the best reception in season 1 when the show is fresh and they have a lot of ideas to draw from before it settles into a groove.

Person of Interest is one example of a show where the goon consensus seems to be that season 3 is the best of the run.

It might just also be that this goon consensus theory is idiotic. Just might.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tell us who did this DP, they must be held accountable

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

MiddleOne posted:

It might just also be that this goon consensus theory is idiotic. Just might.

I'd say it's about right for the CW superhero shows, but can't really be generalized to a Theory of TVIV Fandom.

Perhaps it works to describe soapy teen-oriented genre dramas (the above, The 100, Teen Wolf, Pretty Little Liars, Riverdale, etc)?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
god drat dat ending to last night's ACS:Versace

e: American Crime Story: Vice City

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

precision posted:

The opposite happens sometimes too. Season 4 of Rectify was easily the worst of the series, in fact was arguably "kinda bad", but a couple people insisted it was great and I'm just like... you know how much I love that show? And even I was down on the last season?

I've not watched the last season yet because season three left me kind of cold on it all... what was so bad about it, avoiding spoilers if possible?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

e: American Crime Story: Vice City
That's the only reason I instantly recognized that hotel exterior hahaha

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

I've not watched the last season yet because season three left me kind of cold on it all... what was so bad about it, avoiding spoilers if possible?

A large focus on a new and pretty damned uninteresting character, not as much Daniel/family interactions as anyone would have liked

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
After the TVIV Top-10 thread I decided to try out American Vandal and give Patriot another shot. American Vandal episode 1 was loving hilarious and I fully intend to keep with it. Patriot I just found boring, again. Am I missing something here? Everyone seems to love the show that has watched it but I watched 2 episodes when it first came out and then the first one again and it just does nothing, I feel like there's something wrong with me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not everything is for everyone. I think it’s an incredible mix of completely absurd and deeply melancholy, with amazing mise-en-scene and great subdued performances.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Which anime is comparable to Vikings? I'd check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Josh Lyman posted:

I really enjoyed season 1, but seasons 2 and 3 kind of left me cold in the same ways. Don’t get me wrong, all three seasons have a couple genuinely fantastic episodes that are worth watching at least once, but the last two seasons have almost felt like the show as a whole is spinning its wheels. I hesitate to say that it’s because the novelty has worn off, but that’s probably the best way I can describe it. After a while most of the episodes just blend together in one barely memorable lump.

It also has one of the most incredibly toxic fanbases around. In a perfect world, I’d be able to separate the show from its fans and not let their behavior influence my opinion of the show, but we don’t live in a perfect world and the R&M fans outside this forum are absolutely loving insufferable.