Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

It would be best if you could add certain kinds of those quirks to mechs, for a price, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It would be best if BattleTech's entire system could be overhauled for the not-1980s, as long as we're submitting wishes.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Strobe posted:

It would be best if BattleTech's entire system could be overhauled for the not-1980s, as long as we're submitting wishes.

This is pretty much the fight the developers have been having with the entrenched fanbase since day one. Even having the original creator of the game and universe on board hasn't prevented some fans from lamenting any and all changes.

Early on there was an incident where someone through all their toys out of the pram after backing the original kick starter and finding out there may be ECM in the game in some sort of form possibly. It got so bad that MItch (studio head) called him personally and told him if he didn't like it he could jog on and refunded his pledge.

I am a big fan of Mitch, he is very good at saying 'No' to people.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Goddamn you are making me really regret not backing up my beta.

edit: on the up side I am going to be absolutely chomping at the bit when the game itself lands.

This is genuinely a ballsy but genius move by HBS - so many early access games land with a damp squid because their 'release' is just a different numbered patch on the game you've been playing for month.

I only messed about a little bit with the beta but not having it is absolutely wearing on me.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Phrosphor posted:

I love the flappy arms. I wonder if it posed an interesting challenge for HBS to get working properly. 90% of mechs can just use a default human skeleton for animation but the stalker and interesting the Jenner and Raven need unique skeletons.

It's a shame we can't tell the game to use the Jenners animation rig for the stalker, I bet that would deal with ol' flappy arms.

(Also, you can define the types of melee attacks that mechs can make, you should add right and left arm punches to the Stalkers list, I can't remember where it is defined. The Stalker punching with those wings would be great!)

It can't be that different from the catapult or Jenner. They likely just hadn't gotten to it by the time the beta was out.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Alchenar posted:

damp squid

It's damp squib, which is a detonator used to set off an explosive that doesn't work if you get it wet, not damp squid, which is a moistened mollusk.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

McGavin posted:

It's damp squib, which is a detonator used to set off an explosive that doesn't work if you get it wet, not damp squid, which is a moistened mollusk.

Ever been to a hockey game? A damp squid lands with a pretty unimpressive splort too. He may have had the exact metaphor wrong, but his version still works for me.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ever been to a hockey game? A damp squid lands with a pretty unimpressive splort too. He may have had the exact metaphor wrong, but his version still works for me.

In hockey an octopus is thrown onto the ice as its eight arms symbolize the number of playoff wins necessary to win the Stanley Cup. Since squid have 10 arms they are not usually thrown onto the ice during hockey games.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

McGavin posted:

In hockey an octopus is thrown onto the ice as its eight arms symbolize the number of playoff wins necessary to win the Stanley Cup. Since squid have 10 arms they are not usually thrown onto the ice during hockey games.

it's all a squishy mollusk that lands with a "splat" as far as I'm concerned.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I wrote what I wrote and I stand by it. :colbert:

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Harebrained Schemes’ Battletech: not a damp squid

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Damp squibs are lostech.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Harebrained Schemes’ Battletech: The Crispy Ika Skewer of PC Gaming

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

McGavin posted:

I'm pretty sure it must have started when somebody just happened to have an octopus to throw, then later figured out the arms thing.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear
Harebrained Schemes’ Battletech: The Unseen are the original Original Six

Mozi posted:

I'm pretty sure it must have started when somebody just happened to have an octopus to throw, then later figured out the arms thing.
It's a specific thing to the Detroit Red Wings from back in the 50's when you needed to win 2 best of 7 series to get The Cup, so 8 games total

Omar_Comin fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 25, 2018

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Squid prefer being damp, I find

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Colonial Air Force posted:

Squid prefer being damp, I find

Not after a dip in their favored habitat, the deep fryer.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Phrosphor posted:

This is pretty much the fight the developers have been having with the entrenched fanbase since day one. Even having the original creator of the game and universe on board hasn't prevented some fans from lamenting any and all changes.

Early on there was an incident where someone through all their toys out of the pram after backing the original kick starter and finding out there may be ECM in the game in some sort of form possibly. It got so bad that MItch (studio head) called him personally and told him if he didn't like it he could jog on and refunded his pledge.

I am a big fan of Mitch, he is very good at saying 'No' to people.

Good man, did he record the phone call??

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Fair reminder that the primary reason Clan LRMs don't have a minimum range in the tabletop game is because somebody typoed it when they were first writing the Clan weapons table, and when after the book was released they went 'Uhh that's not right we should fix that', the BT community's collective response was 'it's already in the book I have my hands on my ears, laaa laa la laaaa, I can't hear you'.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Drake_263 posted:

Fair reminder that the primary reason Clan LRMs don't have a minimum range in the tabletop game is because somebody typoed it when they were first writing the Clan weapons table, and when after the book was released they went 'Uhh that's not right we should fix that', the BT community's collective response was 'it's already in the book I have my hands on my ears, laaa laa la laaaa, I can't hear you'.

what the gently caress god clrms are broken, thanks for reminding me

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Drake_263 posted:

same with the cERPPC

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

same with the cERPPC

Wait, thats the real reason these things are mega bullshit? Lmao

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Viva Miriya posted:

Yeah, I have no idea why Fasa didn't just issue some errata and fix it in subsequent editions.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Errata are LosTech.

Though more seriously it's not at all that uncommon in many PnP games, especially back in the 80s and 90s.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, I have no idea why Fasa didn't just issue some errata and fix it in subsequent editions.

Prob didn't want to deal with reprinting costs and just said what's done is done.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Viva Miriya posted:

Well even with a minimum range, what makes Clan PPCs so strong is that they're headcappers introduced into a game where that was pretty drat rare at long range.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That combined with double heat sinks. The 1:1 trade of heat and damage at that range is absurd. Even the Clan ER Large Laser generates more heat than damage.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I can't wait to see the rage when they do a Clan expansion and the Clan poo poo is actually balanced. All those "BUT I LIKE THEM FOR THE LORE!" babies are going to throw the biggest poo poo fit.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The work around for that in a computer game is easy: you make them the antagonists, the retarded powerful gear provides a challenge for the player, and clan salvage becomes a reward in its own right. It’s what has worked in every other SP BT or MW game.

For multiplayer later balance via cost.

That shot bolt even gets annoying in TT because of the type of person who insists on playing clan.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I am interested to see how they do the Clans. Obviously I presume we'll do a little reenacting MW2 Mercs as an Inner Sphere merc force helping resist the Invasion, but I hope they do DLC, perhaps set during the Refusal War, where we can play as a clanner.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sky Shadowing posted:

I am interested to see how they do the Clans. Obviously I presume we'll do a little reenacting MW2 Mercs as an Inner Sphere merc force helping resist the Invasion, but I hope they do DLC, perhaps set during the Refusal War, where we can play as a clanner.

Mechwarrior 2: Tactics

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sky Shadowing posted:

A bunch of people have said how it would be great if there was a clan-only game where you are part of a clan and have to do Clan Things, and I agree 100%. It would be nice to do something different like that.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

A bunch of people have said how it would be great if there was a clan-only game where you are part of a clan and have to do Clan Things, and I agree 100%. It would be nice to do something different like that.

Yeah, if they HAVE to do Clans (I personally wish Clans entirely would just get retconned out), that's the best way due to the insane early imbalance.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

yeah balance around cost sounds fine to me. I'm sure HBS may make some changes around the margins, but I wouldn't expect them to massively nerf the clan tech

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Rygar201 posted:

yeah balance around cost sounds fine to me. I'm sure HBS may make some changes around the margins, but I wouldn't expect them to massively nerf the clan tech
The tech needs to be balanced a little. The ER Med Lasers, ER PPCs, DHS, and a few other things are just completely bonkers and it would do a lot for the health of the game if those things were balanced better. I have the feeling that they are trying hard to make heat more of a problem in HBS:Battletech (I didnt buy in to the beta but I've watched videos and keep up with the discord) and heat looks like it is a constant problem even for 'mechs that are more heat-neutral in TT. If that is in fact the case, Clan 'mechs coming with 4 ER PPCs/12 ER MLs/whatever and the DHS to compensate will be dunk on IS stuff all day.

Skoll posted:

Yeah, if they HAVE to do Clans (I personally wish Clans entirely would just get retconned out), that's the best way due to the insane early imbalance.
I agree that there needs to be some retconning going on when they get back around to the clans.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I really hope they do fix double heatsinks (Which I think Weisman has said were the biggest mistake in Battletech).Everybody knows how to fix them too. Yeah a whole load of post-DHS stock mechs won't work anymore, but it's worth it.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Quick thought on DHS:

The 'free' heatsinks are always singles and are purely dependent upon engine tonnage. You can buy DHS beyond that, but it means that a 400 rating engine has 16 regulars before you start adding in DHS.

I also agree with PTN and others than Clan stuff should have been more like the heavy lasers. Harder hitting but short in the tooth. Goes very well with their dueling style but are fairly poorly suited for sustained warfare.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I believe the officially endorsed fix is engine heatsinks are always singles and they're always LosTech style triple-size, not clan style double-size.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I'm a proponent of basically just eliminating the idea of Engine HS. Every engine provides the equivalent of 10 SHS regardless of rating. Only a little bit different than what you guys are talking about.

It'll make some DHS Mechs run hot, and not stashing HS in the engine will hurt some heavier Mechs that run low on Crit space. Plus side, it'll free up crit space on Mechs with lower rated engines. Particularly lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

There aren't many lights that are starved for crit space.