Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Gambi: I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that his deal is that he used to make costumes for supervillains before coming around to help Black Lightning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Klungar posted:

Gambi: I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that his deal is that he used to make costumes for supervillains before coming around to help Black Lightning.

he did in the comic books, but I'm not sure if they are going to use that in the tv-show. Based on the interview I posted, it seems like they are giving him a slightly different backstory, but who knows :)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Atreiden posted:

Man this show so far is amazing. It's just so much better than the other superhero shows.
I like Peter Gambi ( the tailor) and I also doesn't think we really need a backstory for why he has a Batcave and super hacking skills, but I'm sure we are going to get it. For me, it's enough that he has known Jefferson Pierce since he was 12 and helped him after his father died.
If anyone on the other hand wants to be spoiled a bit, James Ramer dropped som teasers about his characters background in an interview https://www.cbr.com/black-lightning-james-remar-gambi-interview/

I love the elevator guy. "I got you man" "I'm taking the stairs, stay black"

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Laterite posted:

This show is so good.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
For the people posting spoilers, that's Paul. This is Peter. Different character.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

God drat if the best scene in this entire thing wasn't him just walkin' the street and having guys hold doors for him while he's going in to beat the poo poo out of people. That was incredible.

Everyone in the background phone-recording that strut down the street.

And the doorman not even hesitating "He's in the penthouse" with a big rear end grin.

The only thing that bothered me was the stairway. Ain't no one going to be able to still fight after taking an Electro-Fist to the balls.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I love this show but the Black lightning Costume is shockingly awful. It's the neon effect on the lightning bolts. If they were just a solid colour they'd be fine.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

The Lord Bude posted:

I love this show but the Black lightning Costume is shockingly awful. It's the neon effect on the lightning bolts. If they were just a solid colour they'd be fine.

:rimshot:

I mean it's not great but that was an excellent pun and you should be complimented.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Senerio posted:

:rimshot:

I mean it's not great but that was an excellent pun and you should be complimented.

I thank you sir; you’re too kind.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

howe_sam posted:

I continue to be really impressed with the soundtrack. There are way more needle drops than you see in most network shows.

Yeah, I really enjoy the music so far. I like the tone they've taken with it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Finished off Defenders last night and I guess this is on Netflix too over here so gave it a shot, I remembered someone saying it was good. Liked it quite a lot. Very different to a lot of the superhero gubbins I've seen. Like that he's comparatively old and also has a respectable job. And his costume is very Comic Books.

Also the special effects are neat. Electricity powers are the coolest and this makes a good go of them.

Anyway, first episode was great, hope it keeps it up.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I just love how physically imposing he is. When BL was walking down the hallway in Lala's penthouse, his shoulders were drat near touching both walls. Dude's built like a brick shithouse.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ruddiger posted:

I just love how physically imposing he is. When BL was walking down the hallway in Lala's penthouse, his shoulders were drat near touching both walls. Dude's built like a brick shithouse.

As soon as they announced it was Williams in the role I got super hype because he is truly built like a super hero.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhyno posted:

As soon as they announced it was Williams in the role I got super hype because he is truly built like a super hero.

Plus, his voice is just so fantastic. It’s got that kind of Keith David as Goliath from Gargoyles quality to it that just makes it a delight to listen to.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nine-gear crow posted:

Plus, his voice is just so fantastic. It’s got that kind of Keith David as Goliath from Gargoyles quality to it that just makes it a delight to listen to.

I never made that connection but you're right! He absolutely sounds like David.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Avalerion posted:

I liked the pilot, and really love the costume and that they didn’t try to make it more “realistic” - actualy looks like something from a comic book. :D

Don’t mind the lack of a proper origin story per see, would like to know more about how his powers work though. At first I thought he was straight up frying people and that’s why he’s seen as a vigilante - but now it seems more like force bolts/telekinesis than electricity.

His powers are generalized electricity control. The LIGHTNING PUNCH is one of his signature moves from the comics, which doesn't actually shock people so much as hit super hard because SpeedLightningforce.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The only thing that bugged me from the first two episodes is that Lala was basically an evil(er) version of Charlie Murphy's characer from Black Jesus.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

muscles like this! posted:

The only thing that bugged me from the first two episodes is that Lala was basically an evil(er) version of Charlie Murphy's characer from Black Jesus.

Well the guy lasted two episodes, the writers probably didn't put a ton of effort into him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Just watched the episodes, and really enjoyed them. I kinda get why its separate from the Arrowverse since its got a different tone and the whole "are their other super powered people?" seems like a "yes" but kind of murky so its easier to just be your own thing.

The costume is kind of goofy looking but I'll give it time. Besides it obviously being body armor I got the impression from the DWB pullover scene that he has to pull the electricity from other stuff and the suit has its own power source to keep him "charged." So it seems to at least have a clear purpose why it is the way it is. Plus he seems REALLY strong. Like stronger than even a beast like him should be. I guess that could be a result of the powers and something like him pushing off with a charge but I wonder if its part of the suit too.

I'm in. I mean, I was probably always in but now I'm genuinely IN in.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If it's anything like the suit in the newest comics, the glowing bits are supposedly charged by his own ambient electric field (and I guess it's implied he can affect electricity around him).

I hope we get some sly reference to his original costume

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Jennifer's old friend/new boyfriend is 110% gonna die, isn't he? :saddowns:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Xelkelvos posted:

If it's anything like the suit in the newest comics, the glowing bits are supposedly charged by his own ambient electric field (and I guess it's implied he can affect electricity around him).

My guess without knowledge of the comics is that the suit is powered by his abilities and he's powered by electrical sources around him. I'm guessing there will be many episodes where he's weakened by lack of nearby power sources but overcomes it by being a huge intelligent badass anyway.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

One thing I don't get, why does he keep getting hosed up so bad when that suit appears to be bullet proof?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Avalerion posted:

One thing I don't get, why does he keep getting hosed up so bad when that suit appears to be bullet proof?

I don't think it's bulletproof like 100% of this will not affect you, just that they won't actually get into you and gently caress things up. Kinda like paintball maybe? You'll get some bruises but it won't cause serious harm.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GobiasIndustries posted:

I don't think it's bulletproof like 100% of this will not affect you, just that they won't actually get into you and gently caress things up. Kinda like paintball maybe? You'll get some bruises but it won't cause serious harm.

Didn't Dexter's dad say it was bulletproof when they were in the Black Cave?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Jennifer's old friend/new boyfriend is 110% gonna die, isn't he? :saddowns:

I don't think they'll go so far as to fridge him, but I can definitely see them reversing the trope and have him in a situation where Jennifer has to rescue him (maybe triggering the first expression of whatever power she has).

And then he becomes part of team support, mostly to help ground her (heh). A teenager with superpowers who is also experiencing typical teenage drama kind of terrifies me.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Rocksicles posted:

Didn't Dexter's dad say it was bulletproof when they were in the Black Cave?

Getting shot in a bulletproof vest just prevents the bullet from going through you, you still suffer from impact forces and bruises and what not. It's not Mythril.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Xelkelvos posted:

We already did. He was watching video from the Old Days when he had a similar costume to the comics, and the grocery store clerk made a Parliament reference while talking about him.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Klungar posted:

Getting shot in a bulletproof vest just prevents the bullet from going through you, you still suffer from impact forces and bruises and what not. It's not Mythril.

You must be new to DC shows. Batman might as well be made out of titanium.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

You must be new to DC shows. Batman might as well be made out of titanium.

tbf it's way more than just superhero shows that treat kevlar like it's magic.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Avalerion posted:

"Bulletproof" isn't actually bulletproof. Bullets can still go through a kevlar vest and even if they don't they're still projectiles hitting you at high speeds which cause damage. Its like putting on a poncho in the rain. It will help you get less wet, but if its pouring you're still probably gonna get wet.

That's a terrible metaphor and don't kill me for it, people who care a lot about guns and vests.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

STAC Goat posted:

"Bulletproof" isn't actually bulletproof. Bullets can still go through a kevlar vest and even if they don't they're still projectiles hitting you at high speeds which cause damage. Its like putting on a poncho in the rain. It will help you get less wet, but if its pouring you're still probably gonna get wet.

That's a terrible metaphor and don't kill me for it, people who care a lot about guns and vests.

Kevlar also is effective against bullets due to it's uniquely strong properties against high impact assaults but not so much against things like knives or even broad blunt objects like baseball bats.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

We already did. He was watching video from the Old Days when he had a similar costume to the comics, and the grocery store clerk made a Parliament reference while talking about him.

The description would match with the original, but the video looked more like his 90s-2000s outfit.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Xelkelvos posted:

The description would match with the original, but the video looked more like his 90s-2000s outfit.

v:shobon:v

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

From the original pilot script, Gambi exposition-dumps about Jefferson's powers.

Quoted directly from it.... Without a suit you’re like a live wire, unpredictable and raw. The powers drain you both physically and mentally much more rapidly. The more power you use, the longer it takes for you to replenish. Your cells are like mini receptors that can absorb the electrical energy around you. The suit is like a grounding wire, it gives you better control and protects your body from side effects.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Klungar posted:

Isn't that exactly how mithril armour worked?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is "Blacksploitation" the right term for this show's plot beats? I've never been sure where the actual genre ends and "just slapping it onto any movie with black folks" begins. Or, for that matter, if the term is actually racist and I shouldn't be using it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tiggum posted:

Isn't that exactly how mithril armour worked?

Well, Frodo got the wind knocked out of him by that cave troll but I think he'd be mashed torso if there's wasn't magic physics-bending involved.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bruceski posted:

Is "Blacksploitation" the right term for this show's plot beats? I've never been sure where the actual genre ends and "just slapping it onto any movie with black folks" begins. Or, for that matter, if the term is actually racist and I shouldn't be using it.

I think when it aims to be reasonably close to real life in a lot of ways, isn't it just TV? I mean it doesn't seem to be any worse than Luke Cage, that was like Undercover Brother without no jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Bruceski posted:

I don't believe it's considered racists, but I will reconsidered if corrected. Blacksploitation is a particular style (mostly but not elusively film) that emerged in the 70's. It was a mix of black power/empowerment, funk and soul music, and pulp/exploitation, which were B movies with lurid focus on sex and violence. There is definitely some blackspoloitation in the shows DNA. But it also seems way more interested in examining and trying to understand violence than sensationalizing it. I personally wouldn't call it a blackspoitation show.

• Locked thread