Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well Ragnar does get an Asian wife in one of the seasons. That was about where I peaced out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

whowhatwhere posted:

I'd say it's about right for the CW superhero shows, but can't really be generalized to a Theory of TVIV Fandom.

Perhaps it works to describe soapy teen-oriented genre dramas (the above, The 100, Teen Wolf, Pretty Little Liars, Riverdale, etc)?

It really doesn't.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Big Little Lies was a miniseries and didn't think miniseries tended to get second seasons. You know, I assumed they were finite by definition?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

Not everything is for everyone. I think it’s an incredible mix of completely absurd and deeply melancholy, with amazing mise-en-scene and great subdued performances.

Yeah I get that. But sometimes I've watched a pilot and maybe it's because I was in a bad mood or expecting something else or even tired and then went back and it clicked. I'll give it one more shot I think but most of the time when TVIV almost universally praises a show I'm on board if I wasn't already. I don't know why this one isn't clicking.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought Big Little Lies was a miniseries and didn't think miniseries tended to get second seasons. You know, I assumed they were finite by definition?

It did good so HBO saw dollar signs

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Britannia needs some love. I got home to the whole season of webrips on my HDD.

Quality TV

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

GobiasIndustries posted:

After the TVIV Top-10 thread I decided to try out American Vandal and give Patriot another shot. American Vandal episode 1 was loving hilarious and I fully intend to keep with it. Patriot I just found boring, again. Am I missing something here? Everyone seems to love the show that has watched it but I watched 2 episodes when it first came out and then the first one again and it just does nothing, I feel like there's something wrong with me.

It took me a little while to get into Patriot. It took me a couple days to actually finish watching the first episode because I just wasn't really into it. But I only had like a week left on my Prime trial so I figured I should finish watching it while I had the chance. Anyway, I ended up really liking it. There wasn't really a specific turning point, but I think by the end of episode three I was definitely more invested in what was going on. Kurtwood Smith is really great in particular.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It had a perfect, finite ending but everyone loved it so much they decided to extend it. We'll have to see how it goes, but signs are good.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Hakkesshu posted:

Well Ragnar does get an Asian wife in one of the seasons. That was about where I peaced out.

I peaced our not long after that. I got sick of the whole will they betray him to the fake betrayals to the actual betrayals (which made no sense when you think of all the fake betrayals). It is shame I thought the show was good, especially in the first season (the episode where they went to the temple was amazing). I feel like the it was a better show when it was smaller in scope, and they should have made the season 1 story-line into 3 seasons.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
My wife and I got off the Vikings train mid season 4, but it's still a show worth giving a shot. We just didn't really gel with some of the character changes and new focus.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

raditts posted:

Yeah, his hurp durp goon stereotyping doesn't even make sense in the case of DC shows, because those usually get the best reception in season 1 when the show is fresh and they have a lot of ideas to draw from before it settles into a groove.

Person of Interest is one example of a show where the goon consensus seems to be that season 3 is the best of the run.

I’ve always found character based comedies really hit their stride in S3. Seinfeld, Always Sunny, and Parks and Rec all come to mind. It’s when the writers and actors seem to really all get exactly what they want the characters and relationships to be.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I haven't done much reading recently, but what I have read have been books about entertainment--Disney War, The War for Late Night, and the oral history Live from New York. Are there other good books detailing show histories or behind-the-scene drama at networks or studios?

I'd honestly love a behind-the-scenes about Lucasfilm (but that will never happen).

[Edit: Oh and I forgot How Music Got Free, which is a faaaantastic book about the music industry's transition from CDs to streaming services, covering everything from how the .mp3 format was created to the iPod's birth and how labels scammed TRL to promote struggling artists. I can't recommend it enough.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 25, 2018

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

lelandjs posted:

So I haven't done much reading recently, but what I have read have been books about entertainment--Disney War, The War for Late Night, and the oral history Live from New York. Are there other good books detailing show histories or behind-the-scene drama at networks or studios?

I'd honestly love a behind-the-scenes about Lucasfilm (but that will never happen).

[Edit: Oh and I forgot How Music Got Free, which is a faaaantastic book about the music industry's transition from CDs to streaming services, covering everything from how the .mp3 format was created to the iPod's birth and how labels scammed TRL to promote struggling artists. I can't recommend it enough.]

Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN is pretty good.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

lelandjs posted:

The Secret History of Star Wars and J. W. Rinzler’s various Making Of... books are probably the closest you’ll get for now. They’re all pretty solid looks at the studio and Lucas.

I can personally vouch for Rinzler’s Empire and Indiana Jones Making Of books. They’re really fascinating reads.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hope the fellow who wrote Disney War comes up with a sequel or an expanded version of the book for when Iger finally goes. Probably wishful thinking, though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, its a basic pattern that hold some truth but seems to say more about the viewer's tastes than the show's flaws. 90% of network shows follow a basic pattern of S1 growing pains and learning what works and what doesn't, S2 really leaning in on what works and what they learned from S1, and in S3 they're settled in and have a bit of a formula. Some viewers obviously hate this and prefer shows that blow everything up every season or drive make plots that change everything each season. So they just get tired with a show that isn't interested in doing that, but just wants to perfect its formula.

"Formulaic" shouldn't be a bad word. It isn't for everyone but there's plenty of people who love shows or movies specifically because they're formulaic. No one goes into a Fast and Furious movie to see what amazing macguffin is written for the plot. They just want to see the formula they enjoy done well.

I know Supernatural is a formulaic show that is doing the same poo poo its been doing for a decade. I know its meta plots are often flimsy and result in wiping the slate clean. I watch because I like that forumula and have for over a decade. I like being able to watch that show once a week.

Disagree with this. Not you enjoying formulas, but the idea that audience disinterest occurs because of them, and the idea of the third season being its defining height.

Supernatual had five seasons of escalating greatness, from its plotting to its themes, to its acting, down to the individual scripts of every episode.

Simpsons had 8 great seasons of the same, Seinfeld, Breaking Bad, ER, Angel, etc. The way you phrased is denies what goes into making this stuff, the creatives and crew and actors working hard at crafting something new.

The reason Supernatural has suffered outside of the odd episode here and there is because the average episode is of a much lower quality than the average episode from S1-S5. I've tried to latch onto the show numerous times since then and I'm inevitably put off since instead of being an interesting episode focusing on one specific threat or enemy, its just the latest iteration of a nonsense soap opera where the brothers have to save each other again. It's lazy writing, and if it's something you like fair enough, but it's definitely not something that was fated to happen and better creatives behind the scenes could change it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/metmuseum/status/956523108105621505

>: (

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

At least it's not going be as bad as 13 Reasons Why season 2.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

At least it's not going be as bad as 13 Reasons Why season 2.

26 Reasons Why?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

McSpanky posted:

26 Reasons Why?

7.5 Reasons why if it gets a half season order

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

lelandjs posted:

7.5 Reasons why if it gets a half season order

6.5 :eng101:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I was, er, counting the double length finale. Yeah.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

X-O posted:

It's not. It's actually good.

these aren't as mutually exclusive statements as you think

the bit that made me go "ok what, is this live-action anime" was a bit where two women started having a psychic conversation in the middle of an epic battle about how one of them is pregnant and needs to die so the other one can live, and then she gets shanked hard in the psychic-conversation world before it cuts to motherfuckers getting beaten with a god drat severed head

and it was like some poo poo out of Gundam snuck into this highbrow Viking show and it loving ruled even if I had no clue what was going on

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It's not anime, but I really enjoy reading Vinland Saga, which is surprisingly (AFAIK) historically accurate.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also yeah Vinland Saga fucks hard

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yo gently caress anyone who doesn’t like the Venezuelans episode of Parks and Rec y’all can eat my rear end

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

these aren't as mutually exclusive statements as you think

the bit that made me go "ok what, is this live-action anime" was a bit where two women started having a psychic conversation in the middle of an epic battle about how one of them is pregnant and needs to die so the other one can live, and then she gets shanked hard in the psychic-conversation world before it cuts to motherfuckers getting beaten with a god drat severed head

and it was like some poo poo out of Gundam snuck into this highbrow Viking show and it loving ruled even if I had no clue what was going on

This is from season 5 And the rest of the show wasnt nearly as artsy or weird. There are a few visions here and there.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Party dudes are allowed to appreciate the arts too, zoux

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Whats with Hulu on a computer? I got it last night and used my Amazon Fire to watch it on TV and the app was easy to use and navigate and build a playlist. But I am trying to watch it on the train ride home now on my laptop and I can't access that playlist anywhere, only what the series that I watched last night. Is there some setting I am missing?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

raditts posted:

Party dudes are allowed to appreciate the arts too, zoux

https://twitter.com/McJesse/status/956645699281702914

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

swickles posted:

Whats with Hulu on a computer? I got it last night and used my Amazon Fire to watch it on TV and the app was easy to use and navigate and build a playlist. But I am trying to watch it on the train ride home now on my laptop and I can't access that playlist anywhere, only what the series that I watched last night. Is there some setting I am missing?

I think you should be able to access your "Watchlist" if you hover over your username in the top right corner?

But basically Hulu's interface is total garbage. Which sucks because their queue they had forever and got rid of a year or two ago was kind of perfect, IMO. Now its just a mess of recommendations, new episodes, half watched stuff, and things on my watchlist popping up at any given time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hulu's new interface is a lot better on a Roku than Netflix's. Unless you really really love only being able to find movies by searching by title. Browsing on Netflix is atrocious.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't have a problem with Netflix. Its easy to browse by genre and while the recommendation bars are always hit and miss they sometimes tip me off to something. And its recently gotten a lot easier to scroll away from the main recommendations and to the traditional genre categories and stuff. And the "Resume Watching" bar is basically the exact thing Hulu is missing.

My only real problem with Netflix is the randomization of the bars that sometimes leaves me searching for my Watchlist/Resume Watching.

But its also kind of a different thing than Hulu because a big part of the problem with Hulu is new episodes getting added 1 at a time. The old Queue was an easy way to just see everything that's been added and sorted by your show or the date, while now its just all really random if you don't know what you're looking for.

Plus I just find it annoying that if I watch a new episode Hulu always tries to start some random show on my watchlist after that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Watchlist is still a thing in the new Hulu interface, it just takes a few more clicks to get to.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Whenever I used Hulu on the Roku or PS4 it does have a "Keep Watching" tab though :confused:

I know this because every time I start it up my wife's anime shows are all on there

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bull3964 posted:

Watchlist is still a thing in the new Hulu interface, it just takes a few more clicks to get to.

It is, but in the old Hulu queue you just got new and unwatched episodes clearly laid out. Now its just a bunch of tiles of shows and some fine print about what's unwatched or new.

precision posted:

Whenever I used Hulu on the Roku or PS4 it does have a "Keep Watching" tab though :confused:

I know this because every time I start it up my wife's anime shows are all on there

I have a "Keep Watching" on my FireTV but shows disappear from it and shows I've finished/caught up with remain on it. And from a purely aesthetic view I find the scrolling option to be way less clear than either the list it used to have or the smaller scrolling bar Netflix has.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

esperterra posted:

I've tried PoI a couple times but even the promise of Sarah Shahi and Amy Acker couldn't get me through it.

I can concede it prob gets good but I have too many shows to watch to waste time on a procedural that eventually picks up steam.

Pulling this out from way back, but if you just wanna see Shahi beat some rear end and engage in some weirdly flirtatious tête-à-tête with Acker, jump ahead to 2x16, "Relevance."

It's not a show, it's only 40 minutes. And I don't think it'll convince you; I think for you, it'll play more like the pilot to the show you wish PoI was. But you're going to love those 40 minutes.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The Goldbergs was really bizarre this week, was it meant to be a backdoor pilot for a Tim Meadows spinoff?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Medullah posted:

The Goldbergs was really bizarre this week, was it meant to be a backdoor pilot for a Tim Meadows spinoff?
Bryan Callen is getting a Goldbergs spin off, i saw it mentioned on his twitter.

https://twitter.com/bryancallen/status/956288060618039296

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Paul Bettany has walked from season 3 of The Crown (which has yet to be officially approved), citing "scheduling difficulties."