Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The penalty for sending more was that you had to sit through up to 12 unskippable voice clips, which actively made me deploy as few blades as I could. Of course they fixed that as soon as I finish the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Taikuri posted:

God drat, I've been sending blades to 1+ hour missions with all available suggested skills, and never actually bothered checking if they give better return for investment, just assumed that to be the case.

Do you have any math if number of blades actually matter, can I send 6 blades on a 30 minute mission with no suggested skills and they are all gonna be equally rewarded?

Also would love a system for marking blades in merc menu, just let me stick a star or something next to driver symbol so I know which ones have full affinity / orb master with a glance without actually having to tap L and R to carefully comb trough them.

IcePhoenix posted:

Longer missions give more trust

No penalty for sending more as far as I know (outside of not being able to use any of them while they're gone)

Yes

IcePhoenix has it nailed. It's important to know that for the rare blades (or anyone you really care about their trust level) merc missions are the wrong way to go about trust. Item pouches are the better way to do that. So, it's generally better to do the shortest missions available, which will always be Ursula's if you have her. And there appears to be no penalty for sending 6 on every mission - that's what I did at the end and very quickly banged out like 10 blades worth of affinity tree nodes. And as someone else said, the suggested skills just reduce the mission timer. YOu can get Urusula's 10 minute mission down to 4 minutes if you hit both of them on one of them (I think it's which ever one has "Focus" as a suggested skill. This let me level up Wulfric super quickly, as well as the 3-4 blades who tagged along with him and Ursula.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yeah, I use rare blades on merc missions to help fill out their tree after I've unlocked the full thing, but not to actually build their trust.

It's also worth noting that when I say the longer missions give more trust we're talking like 100 more, maybe. I think I might have popped a blade up to level four affinity from base once? I know I've had one go from level one to level three more than a few times.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 24, 2018

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Speaking of filling nodes with merc missions, someone earlier in the thread told me that the "do X damage in one hit" nodes can be completed in merc missions if you equip an appropriate chip, but I haven't found that to be the case.

That was me, and I was mistaken. My apologies!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

PJOmega posted:

That was me, and I was mistaken. My apologies!

Yeah, I'll note that what I wrote above about merc missions and affinity trees was only for the rare blades. I don't pay attention to the other ones outside of what I need for Salvaging and occasionally Agronomy (and the earlier merc missions to level up merc level or get items). Although I did start looking for Orb Master recently I guess.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

Just a general one maybe, one that you can say "This generic blade has Botany" and etc.

End game spoilers.
After finishing the game I really wonder what the new story content for the DLC could possibly be, it just doesn't feel like it fits anywhere. Surely anything would just be more new sidequests like before?
The only thing I can think that's not explored much is Azurda and maybe Justinium?

Best bet is more on Addam's identity.

IcePhoenix posted:

IMO the only thing they really needed to do to fix the gacha is make the legendary cores that you get from chests (I think there are three of them in the game?) into something with a 100% drop rate on rare blades. Then put a bunch of them in the chest you can unlock after beating Ophion in the postgame so people can fill out the rest of their collection at that point.

Like many others have siad, I don't want them to completely get rid of it because a good chunk of the fun (and eventual replayability) from this game is getting different rare blades at the start. Even though in my case I dropped nearly all of them like a bad habit pretty quickly :lol:

There's a very easy fix that could solve the whole thing; A post-game vendor with the remaining Rare Blades. That way you still get to :rolldice: on who and when you get most of them, but you can still clean up whoever's missing easily.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Best bet is more on Addam's identity.

There's a very easy fix that could solve the whole thing; A post-game vendor with the remaining Rare Blades. That way you still get to :rolldice: on who and when you get most of them, but you can still clean up whoever's missing easily.

Money is so easy to come by that you might as well just hand them all over at that point.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Personally, I would keep the gacha system for common blades, and make random rare blades available throughout the story as sidequest rewards (give them their own unique core type, place them as sidequest rewards, story rewards, one-time drops from uniques, etc.). That way you both keep the randomness of each playthrough, and ensure that players can get all the blades by playing through the content.

This does rely on Japanese developers not putting bullshit grinds as a gating mechanism on the last rare blade though, which isn't exactly something that I have much confidence in.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Dirk the Average posted:

Personally, I would keep the gacha system for common blades, and make random rare blades available throughout the story as sidequest rewards (give them their own unique core type, place them as sidequest rewards, story rewards, one-time drops from uniques, etc.).

I would not even use the system at all then?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

They should've just made them Pokemon

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The drawbacks of the gacha system vastly outweigh the benefits as seen in game, all of which are minor and extremely subjective. The main reason to have a gacha system, for developers anyway, don't even apply because there's no actual MTX store. Thank goodness.

As it stands it's just cargo culting mobage.

Even Destiny 2 has a lootbox for "literally any exotic you don't already have" to fill collections and that game's a mess of consumer unfriendly decisions.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I'd been fine with the gacha if it wasn't for the overdrive crap and the fact that the AI isn't good at multi-rolling making a dps on your healer blade a liability certainly early game while things are rough.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Spoilers for something midway through chapter 7: When the party is discussing how Zeke, Rex, and Nia all have some deeper connection to their blades/drivers, Morag's reason for declining something similar (asking if it would leave a scar?) seemed odd and out of character to me. Is this just a case of odd translation or something?

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
Not really. One thing about Morag that comes up during some heart to hearts is thats she's actually rather vain.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So I've hit chapter 4.

Is there a way of farming Rare core crystals? I'm kinda bummed because the only rare blades I have are Wind or Earth based which is super boring when it comes to team strats. So I kinda just want to farm out a bunch so I can play around with actual options.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

chumbler posted:

Spoilers for something midway through chapter 7: When the party is discussing how Zeke, Rex, and Nia all have some deeper connection to their blades/drivers, Morag's reason for declining something similar (asking if it would leave a scar?) seemed odd and out of character to me. Is this just a case of odd translation or something?

From what I remember she just didn't want to do it for the sake of doing it. Sure that shows a bond, but everyone else did it out of necessity, not as some kind of fashion accessory.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

MatteusTheCorrupt posted:

Not really. One thing about Morag that comes up during some heart to hearts is thats she's actually rather vain.

Also scar or no scar, taking out your own heart or whatever is kind of an extreme measure to begin with.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The scar is when she realizes she shouldn't be jealous of the extremes that pyra and rex exist as.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Natural 20 posted:

So I've hit chapter 4.

Is there a way of farming Rare core crystals? I'm kinda bummed because the only rare blades I have are Wind or Earth based which is super boring when it comes to team strats. So I kinda just want to farm out a bunch so I can play around with actual options.

Not really in Chapter 4. Rare core crystals don't mean rare blades though.
Boost your luck and use some common crystals, you're likely to get a few rares that way!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

It was just idle thinking and conversation. Morag was just noticing how everyone else (Tora and Poppi included) are something different than the average Blade/Driver pairing, while she and Brighid are ironically the odd ones out by being a purely normal pairing.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Plus Rex/Pyra and Zeke/Pandoria are romantic relationships, while Morag/Brigid isn't.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Konstantin posted:

Plus Rex/Pyra and Zeke/Pandoria are romantic relationships, while Morag/Brigid isn't.

Brighid is totally in love with Mòrag though

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Calaveron posted:

Brighid is totally in love with Mòrag though

Does that ever come up? I always figured she had a thing for Aegaeon, considering he's usually what she talks about.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Does that ever come up? I always figured she had a thing for Aegaeon, considering he's usually what she talks about.

I'm being hyperbolic but she is pretty open about her not wanting to live on after Morag dies even though that would wipe her memory clean

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Calaveron posted:

I'm being hyperbolic but she is pretty open about her not wanting to live on after Morag dies even though that would wipe her memory clean

Ehh, that's really just general camaraderie. I get where you're coming from, but all the Blades are like that.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Calaveron posted:

She has also kept a journal for centuries as a means of preserving her memories. The lady just doesn't like the whole "you lose your memory when you go back to your Core Crystal" thing in general.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I just got to chapter 4 and want to start opening my cores. Who should I open them with. Or rather what is the strategy to not get a rare blade stranded on a person I don't want it on? Can I just pick Nia and open everything with her and move them later? Or should I wait longer to start a core opening fest?

Second question, the non master classes, are they worthwhile? I been stacking atk on Rex, and Healers on Nia, and I'm stuck in the old school "This is my tank, this is my healer, this is my dps". So I have not played with the mixed classes. I'm worried about getting to a fight with a sub par healer or DPS and not being able to clear it. I don't think Tora will ever be anything but a tank for me, cause I find when I try a mixed tank like the 4th character in chapter 3, I couldn't ever get good positioning for the back attacks cause the mobs would just bounce aggro all over the place.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Kilazar posted:

I just got to chapter 4 and want to start opening my cores. Who should I open them with. Or rather what is the strategy to not get a rare blade stranded on a person I don't want it on? Can I just pick Nia and open everything with her and move them later? Or should I wait longer to start a core opening fest?

Second question, the non master classes, are they worthwhile? I been stacking atk on Rex, and Healers on Nia, and I'm stuck in the old school "This is my tank, this is my healer, this is my dps". So I have not played with the mixed classes. I'm worried about getting to a fight with a sub par healer or DPS and not being able to clear it. I don't think Tora will ever be anything but a tank for me, cause I find when I try a mixed tank like the 4th character in chapter 3, I couldn't ever get good positioning for the back attacks cause the mobs would just bounce aggro all over the place.

You only get like 3 of the the move blade items for 95% of the game. I would wait until you get the 5th party member before you go too crazy with core opening especially because there are spoiler reasons about 75% of the way through the game that you don't want too many on Rex/Nia. Also almost everyone one of my endgame blades was blades you get from side quests or story so I would find a decent list of where to get them from because its a fair number.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

You only get like 3 of the the move blade items for 95% of the game. I would wait until you get the 5th party member before you go too crazy with core opening especially because there are spoiler reasons about 75% of the way through the game that you don't want too many on Rex/Nia. Also almost everyone one of my endgame blades was blades you get from side quests or story so I would find a decent list of where to get them from because its a fair number.

When counting chars does big guy with Roc count as 4? or does he not count since he died? Just want to make sure that the next char I get is indeed 5.

Additionally will 5 be my primary blade opener for core rare hunting?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Kilazar posted:

When counting chars does big guy with Roc count as 4? or does he not count since he died? Just want to make sure that the next char I get is indeed 5.

Next will be 5 and yes they are in most end game parties and a good choice to pop cores on.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Kilazar posted:

No, he does not count. Four is someone else. That said, you'll get five not too long afterwards.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You guys know hiding who the party members is pretty pointless when the official publically-released artwork outs them entirely, right?

Zeke's even on the eShop splash page.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You guys know hiding who the party members is pretty pointless when the official publically-released artwork outs them entirely, right?

Five is even on the eShop splash page.

But they're from behind and then being there doesn't mean they're a party member. Just because you don't care doesn't mean other people don't. I had no idea, for sure.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

But they're from behind and then being there doesn't mean they're a party member. Just because you don't care doesn't mean other people don't. I had no idea, for sure.

It's bad cargo-culting from the original game, because hiding them has none of the significance that Seven does in the original. If the game had a physical manual, they'd all have a paragraph description apiece with artwork. The game is also about as subtle as a brick as to who your potential pool of party members is.

It'd be like saying "don't tell me Haru's a party member in Persona 5" when she's right on the cover.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The final character in Xenoblade was also like 80% into the game. Morgan joins at barely 50%, when the story starts up with a purpose.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's bad cargo-culting from the original game, because hiding them has none of the significance that Seven does in the original. If the game had a physical manual, they'd all have a paragraph description apiece with artwork. The game is also about as subtle as a brick as to who your potential pool of party members is.

I'd never have guessed 5 was who they were. I assumed that they'd be a team rocket style thing hassling us through the whole game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

The final character in Xenoblade was also like 80% into the game. Morgan joins at barely 50%, when the story starts up with a purpose.

Morag's also pretty obviously working to a moral code from the get-go. She's not out to get the Aegis for her own nefarious plans, or the glory of Mor Ardain, she just really doesn't want a repeat of the Aegis War.

Taear posted:

I'd never have guessed 5 was who they were. I assumed that they'd be a team rocket style thing hassling us through the whole game.

He is, and given the game's limited recurring cast it's pretty obviously headed towards Zeke joining up for some reason or other, because he's sure as hell not an actual threat.

You're also making it worse by concealing the party members, because you've definitively stated there are five of them, and "four" is a character that does not fit Vandham's description. Wonder what that openly implies... :thunk:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Who's the best person to bond Vess to?

Also, is it possible to get more than one of the unique blades? As in if I pull the stupid polar bear and child blade can I also get her on Rex, or is it one and done, must user an Overdrive to bond to another person?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Konstantin posted:

Wrong :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Louisgod posted:

Who's the best person to bond Vess to?

Also, is it possible to get more than one of the unique blades? As in if I pull the stupid polar bear and child blade can I also get her on Rex, or is it one and done, must user an Overdrive to bond to another person?

Never use an overdrive to bond a blade to Rex. Not sure if we should go into why but I’d recommend against it