Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Wheat Loaf posted:

Here's another show that was very popular and ran for about a decade which you don't hear about any more: Touched By An Angel. That's one I'm surprised hasn't been rebooted or revived on any of the Christian channels in America.

Highway to Heaven is probably the gentlest show by today’s standards. Every episode was the angel guy teaching a businessman to spend more time with his children, or inspiring someone to go after their dreams. Watching reruns always reminds me of being at my grandma’s house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

hard counter posted:

we had that too, also if anyone started bleeding the cast would switch to black and white for the duration of the match

for quaint censorship that's probably become obsolete by now the transformers cgi cartoon we watched in canada was called beasties while in america it was called beast wars

Did Canada enjoy the recent movie, Starries: The Last Jedi?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I had to look it up because in the intro shout "Beast Wars" and boy them saying "beasties" instead is great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfkGgI0HiTQ&t=30s

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Samuringa posted:

I saw this one on Imgur the other day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nx4ekJ0i_w

Old Disney animation is layered right? So do they just remove the racist layer or is all of that done with CGI? Because that's some Stalin purge level of removing someone.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Old Disney animation is layered right? So do they just remove the racist layer or is all of that done with CGI? Because that's some Stalin purge level of removing someone.

Removing all the racist caricatures of black people from 1930's 1940's and 1950's media just means you will have no black people at all. It would be better to post a disclaimer and leave it in cases like this, but Disney is all about protecting its image, even if it is a lie.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Transformers: The Movie is full of robot-on-robot violence which alone isn't enough to merit a PG-13, so the creators just had a character say "poo poo" while off camera which conveniently justifies the rating while also being very easy to edit out. I don't think it's relevant to this thread, it's just funny (0:46)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbgRyfdAFPg

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 00:59 on Jan 25, 2018

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

sweet geek swag posted:

Removing all the racist caricatures of black people from 1930's 1940's and 1950's media just means you will have no black people at all. It would be better to post a disclaimer and leave it in cases like this, but Disney is all about protecting its image, even if it is a lie.

Wanna watch a Disney exec squirm?Ask them when they're going to release Song of the South.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Why did they want a PG-13?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

Wanna watch a Disney exec squirm?Ask them when they're going to release Song of the South.

I'm not THAT old and I remember watching it in theaters during one of it's releases. Must have been late 70's or early 80's. It dropped out of favor very quickly.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Why did they want a PG-13?

anything just pg gets dismissed as stuff for kids these days, so stuff for the whole family has to have enough swears to get pg 13

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hard counter posted:

the transformers cgi cartoon we watched in canada was called beasties while in america it was called beast wars

Hahahahahaha

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I Googled it because I didn't know the name and this film used to be on Irish TV in the late 90s early 00s. Didn't watch it because I was 9 and it looked boring.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Did they ever explain why the best wars transformers were only like a fourth of the size of the originals in-universe?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Touched By An Angel and Chicken Soup For The Soul. Anyone remember PAX?

Only for Supermarket Sweep. I could watch frantic people piling turkeys into shopping carts all day.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Transformers: The Movie is full of robot-on-robot violence which alone isn't enough to merit a PG-13, so the creators just had a character say "poo poo" while off camera which conveniently justifies the rating while also being very easy to edit out. I don't think it's relevant to this thread, it's just funny (0:46)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbgRyfdAFPg

Transformers was PG. They put the "poo poo" in there to avoid a G.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I watched Song of the South once, on an open broadcast channel, but I think the standards were probably shittier outside of the US.

That was around the mid90s or so.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Volcott posted:

Did they ever explain why the best wars transformers were only like a fourth of the size of the originals in-universe?

I'm going to have to go look this up now out of curiosity but it's energy conservation, I think. Less energon consumption, fewer costly wars over the stuff.

Edit: Nailed it.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 01:59 on Jan 25, 2018

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Sunswipe posted:

Did Canada enjoy the recent movie, Starries: The Last Jedi?

fortunately that law only applied to tv shows

The Bloop posted:

Hahahahahaha

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Besides the obvious reasons Song of the South has aged poorly (Disney historian Jim Korkis has an excellent book examining the making of it and the lingering controversy) there's one other aspect that pretty loving bad.

The kid in it, Bobby Driscoll later served as the model and voice for Peter Pan but when he hit puberty he got "less cute" so Walt fired him. He got addicted to heroin and died homeless in New York City just after he turned thirty one. He was buried in a unmarked mass grave on Hart Island.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nckdictator posted:

Besides the obvious reasons Song of the South has aged poorly (Disney historian Jim Korkis has an excellent book examining the making of it and the lingering controversy) there's one other aspect that pretty loving bad.

The kid in it, Bobby Driscoll later served as the model and voice for Peter Pan but when he hit puberty he got "less cute" so Walt fired him. He got addicted to heroin and died homeless in New York City just after he turned thirty one. He was buried in a unmarked mass grave on Hart Island.

If terrible fates befalling actors in movies made the movies any less enjoyable, no one could enjoy The Parent Trap.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Never read the Wiki of any child actor.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Rude would come out to “HELLO, LADIES!”
Pretty sure that was Val Venis.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Nckdictator posted:

Bobby Driscoll was also the voice of Peter Pan. Speaking of, the What Makes The Red Man Man song is way more racist than Song of the South is, yet that's freely available. I guess anti-Native American racism is more OK?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

ZakAce posted:

Bobby Driscoll was also the voice of Peter Pan. Speaking of, the What Makes The Red Man Man song is way more racist than Song of the South is, yet that's freely available. I guess anti-Native American racism is more OK?

There was also that old Tom Thumb movie that I've mentioned before that was neat, but spoiled by some characters who should not have existed as they were, like the Chinese weeble who was heavily "Me so solly" despite it being totally unnecessary to the character, and an actual Golliwog doll who didn't act like a stereotypical black person or anything, he could have been a lot worse and was just there as a generic toy from the time period to fill in the background like the toy soldiers, but as a result of the context just sits there naively haunting the movie. If he was merged with the Yawning man though, that would have been much worse.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

ZakAce posted:

Native Americans are only like 1% of the population and are fairly poor. Capitalism only cares about the ethnic groups with money.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

ZakAce posted:

I guess anti-Native American racism is more OK?

Serious answer: to a lot of Americans, yep. People will be really open about it right to your face, too.

I was with a Japanese guy when I was younger, and I've noticed Asian people in the USA also get that kind of treatment a lot.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Native Americans are only like 1% of the population and are fairly poor. Capitalism only cares about the ethnic groups with money.

Exactly. Most businesses give zero fucks about actually treating people decently, unless they've got the dollar to actually affect their bottom line. I am kind of surprised though as I've never heard of Disney even acknowledging how hosed up that Peter Pan bit is. They're one of those businesses that usually go all out to appear ~family friendly~ at all moments.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lady and the Tramp had the amazingly racist Siamese cats as late as the 90s, as well. Not to mention Talespin had an episode that was eventually pulled from syndication for being too racist against the Chinese. (it's okay to have caricatures of dirty commies, though)

Things actually turned around surprisingly quickly with Asia, probably because suddenly the Chinese have money to throw around. I don't think Japan ever particularly cared, they apparently love American TV and movies as they are and have their own pretty active movie scene.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Inescapable Duck posted:

Lady and the Tramp had the amazingly racist Siamese cats as late as the 90s, as well. Not to mention Talespin had an episode that was eventually pulled from syndication for being too racist against the Chinese. (it's okay to have caricatures of dirty commies, though)

Things actually turned around surprisingly quickly with Asia, probably because suddenly the Chinese have money to throw around. I don't think Japan ever particularly cared, they apparently love American TV and movies as they are and have their own pretty active movie scene.

Japan loves racism though.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Inescapable Duck posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rrXR6n0RTY

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Going back to Ren & Stimpy chat from the last page for a moment, I think it's kind of funny that the series it was paired with on Nickelodeon (along with Rugrats, actually) was... Doug.

I've almost certainly mentioned Doug in this thread before as a cartoon which I really liked as a kid (both on Nickelodeon and Disney) but one which I was amazed to discover people hated when I got into online message boards and forums circa 2004. The basis was that it was "boring" and it's true, Doug was boring, but I always found it relateable.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 11:24 on Jan 25, 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Going back to Ren & Stimpy chat from the last page for a moment, I think it's kind of funny that the series it was paired with on Nickelodeon (along with Rugrats, actually) was... Doug.

I've almost certainly mentioned Doug in this thread before as a cartoon which I really liked as a kid (both on Nickelodeon and Disney) but one which I was amazed to discover people hated when I got into online message boards and forums circa 2004. The basis was that it was "boring" and it's true, Doug was boring, but I always found it relateable.

I think people who found Doug boring would be 80s kids raised on toy commercial cartoons. In think they might resent Doug since it symbolizes a shift in cartoon eras. I was born in 89 and the only people I know who hate Doug are a few years older than me. That's my theory at least.

I have no idea how modern kids/teens would react to it. It might be too slow for them.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Doug was a plodding show about a sad sack you sometimes had to sit through before something decent came on.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yeah there's value in making cartoons about real life that're relatable to kids but Doug was such a spineless, passive little wimp I can't imagine any kids finding him relatable, and I was no slouch at being a spineless wimp myself.

Like he was supposed to be an everykid type but he comes off like a future (failed) school shooter.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 12:13 on Jan 25, 2018

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inescapable Duck posted:

Here's what they actually sing like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwSYm1NPHP4

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Brother Entropy posted:

anything just pg gets dismissed as stuff for kids these days, so stuff for the whole family has to have enough swears to get pg 13

This happened with Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Remember the bit where Christian Slater drops a gratuitous F-bomb? Not if you're in the UK, you don't. The scene was cut over here because the movie got the rating they wanted without it. In the US it didn't, so they had to add that specific swear word.

Getting back to touching, I recall that the shortlived Wonderfalls was pitched under the working title "Inappropriately Touched By An Angel".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jedit posted:

This happened with Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Remember the bit where Christian Slater drops a gratuitous F-bomb? Not if you're in the UK, you don't. The scene was cut over here because the movie got the rating they wanted without it. In the US it didn't, so they had to add that specific swear word.

Now I'm picturing a movie that has a scene of some grip saying "gently caress" to the camera in an empty studio that's inserted into the middle of the film with no attempt to disguise it as part of the movie.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Now I'm picturing a movie that has a scene of some grip saying "gently caress" to the camera in an empty studio that's inserted into the middle of the film with no attempt to disguise it as part of the movie.

Apart from it being Slater in a forest instead of a grip in a studio, that's exactly what it was. The word wasn't part of a dialogue, it was used by itself in a reaction shot.

Still, I'm not sure if it's better or worse than Galaxy Quest, where Sigourney Weaver sees the hydraulic crushers and her "gently caress that" gets obviously dubbed to "screw that" in the UK because it already got the PG rating for the torture scene.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Slater's F bomb wasn't gratuitous. Robin Hood sat on a catapult and launched himself over a castle wall.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jedit posted:

Apart from it being Slater in a forest instead of a grip in a studio, that's exactly what it was. The word wasn't part of a dialogue, it was used by itself in a reaction shot.

Still, I'm not sure if it's better or worse than Galaxy Quest, where Sigourney Weaver sees the hydraulic crushers and her "gently caress that" gets obviously dubbed to "screw that" in the UK because it already got the PG rating for the torture scene.

I’m pretty sure the gently caress that was dubbed over in the US as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jedit posted:

Wonderfalls was pitched under the working title "Inappropriately Touched By An Angel".
That was a great show.