Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why isn't there a thread for this? Well now there is.

Season 2 of ACS is about Versace, the awesome fashion designer, his sister, and his killer, Andrew Cunanan (Darren Criss). It's set in the 90s and the soundtrack is accordingly fabulous.

It airs Wed. nights on FX at 10EST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Subtitle isn’t “Versace Versace Versace Versace Versace Versace”, thread invalid

Haven’t seen any of this season yet cause I’m visiting my parents but really excited to get started.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've said it in other threads but I wasn't really aware this whole story was happening in the 90s. Part of that may be due to me being a kid at the time, part of it may have been a regional disconnect. Who knows. I just know that this is my first real exposure to how all this went down. I've known for years that Versace is one of the big names in high fashion, but I never really knew why or anything about the man behind the brand or his family or anything. I also had no idea Cunanan killed several other people, too.

So far, Lady Gaga really sucks as an actress but Darren Criss is selling the poo poo out of his performance as Cunanan, so I'm probably in it for the long run. I mean I don't know how much 9 episodes really qualifies as a "long run", but yeah. Criss is really nailing that contrast between simultaneously being boyish, childlike, dangerous and deadly.

e: Wait, apparently Lady Gaga was supposed to play Donatella but backed out and now Penelope Cruz is playing her instead? Weird, that didn't seem like Penelope Cruz to me. I could've sworn it was Lady Gaga. I guess I should go back and rewatch haha

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 25, 2018

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Jesus christ the Easy Lover scene.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Give Darren Criss the Emmy now and skip the hassle

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
The casting for the series so far seems to be amazing. And it really catches the 90s-isms of the time in a not-cheesy way.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I've said it in other threads but I wasn't really aware this whole story was happening in the 90s. Part of that may be due to me being a kid at the time, part of it may have been a regional disconnect. Who knows. I just know that this is my first real exposure to how all this went down. I've known for years that Versace is one of the big names in high fashion, but I never really knew why or anything about the man behind the brand or his family or anything. I also had no idea Cunanan killed several other people, too.

Sounds like you and I are about the same age! The only reason why I knew about this growing up was because I grew up in a mostly Filipino household. Filipinos have this really perverse way of getting excited whenever a Filipino person becomes semi-famous. Even if it's for something terrible.

"Ohhh Andrew Cunanan is Pilipino did you knowww?"

Weird culture, man.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
It's a little disappointing to see the thread for this show no more active than this. We've only had two episodes so far, but they have been superb. The Cunanan murders are, not unlike OJ's trial, some of the most fascinating crimes in modern American history, and this show's going above and beyond, I think. There's so many angles to cover, but they've been doing a good job at making it look effortless.

Someone else mentioned it, but that Easy Lover scene from last night's episode was some chilling poo poo.

For anyone looking for more reading on the case without having to look into the novel that the writers used for source material, here's a really good piece by the same author. It was sort of a precursor to Vulgar Favors.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

this season has been so good. This happened when I was really young so I've only heard about it through stuff my parents told me and whatnot. Cunanan isn't a serial killer that's talked about so it's really interesting to see that we're exploring what appears to be his process through the murders and such

the most jarring thing for me is that the FBI really didn't get his picture out there until it was too late! that's crazy because before Versace Cunanan had already killed like four other people; the most poignant scene thus far was probably where they framed Versace's body with the bird that had also been shot, really great moment

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

e: Wait, apparently Lady Gaga was supposed to play Donatella but backed out and now Penelope Cruz is playing her instead? Weird, that didn't seem like Penelope Cruz to me. I could've sworn it was Lady Gaga. I guess I should go back and rewatch haha

That's some pretty impressive face blindness there :v:

I recognized her immediately but I've watched Vanilla Sky a truly obscene number of times, and yes, she's killing it.

BE MY LOVER WANNA BE MY LOVER

Fingers crossed we get some C+C Music Factory and Miami Sound Machine soon

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The portrayal of Cunanan seriously makes my skin crawl, he's great

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

algebra testes posted:

Jesus christ the Easy Lover scene.

Between this and American Psycho, Phil Collins' music certainly has been used in some weird sex scenes.

Terra-da-loo! posted:

It's a little disappointing to see the thread for this show no more active than this.

I think it has to be that, unlike OJ and that corresponding series, Cunanan / Versace just aren't that well known and maybe didn't resonate with the populace when the crime happened. I had no idea that Cunanan was a serial killer until I started watching this series.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Sand Monster posted:

I think it has to be that, unlike OJ and that corresponding series, Cunanan / Versace just aren't that well known and maybe didn't resonate with the populace when the crime happened. I had no idea that Cunanan was a serial killer until I started watching this series.

That's what I was thinking, too, but it's still a bummer that that's the case. "Didn't resonate with the populace when the crime happened" is a good way of putting it, but the less polite phrasing would be "no one cared because of the gay," which this show is doing a great job at portraying.

Edit: Was just re-watching episode one with my sister, and when the Metro-Dade police bust into Andrew's Normandy Plaza room (as seen in ep. 2), they find a dazed Ronnie in bed, who answers "no" when asked if he knows the man on the flier (Cunanan). I thought that was a really good touch, given the exchange in episode two.

I also like how the title to the second episode, "Manhunt," clearly has less to do with the police's search for Andrew than it does Andrew's search for Gianni and others (such as poor Beachgoer--what IMDb credited him as).

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 26, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wonder if Ryan Murphy is just prepping us for his next series, American Psycho

And if it was Darren Criss, I'd watch it.

And even if it sucked, it would be worth it for the Twitter feud between Ellis and Muprhy

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

To be honest, I'm still way more hype about season 3 (the Katrina season). That was originally going to be season 2, right? I'm enjoying Darren Criss as Patrick Bateman in the meantime, but ultimately I'm just really looking forward to that next season. Just that setting has way more insane ideas ripe for Ryan Murphy to exploit than this one seems to so far. But we are only 2 episodes in...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

To be honest, I'm still way more hype about season 3 (the Katrina season). That was originally going to be season 2, right?

That's true, but apparently Ryan Murphy's been trying to make a series about Cunanan for years, since before the OJ season was developed even.

There's a really good article that briefly mentions it here.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

To be honest, I'm still way more hype about season 3 (the Katrina season). That was originally going to be season 2, right? I'm enjoying Darren Criss as Patrick Bateman in the meantime, but ultimately I'm just really looking forward to that next season. Just that setting has way more insane ideas ripe for Ryan Murphy to exploit than this one seems to so far. But we are only 2 episodes in...

I really don’t think Ryan Murphy is the guy to handle Katrina, and I also don’t understand how it fits “American Crime Story.”

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

I really don’t think Ryan Murphy is the guy to handle Katrina, and I also don’t understand how it fits “American Crime Story.”

Murphy hasn't / isn't writing for either season of American Crime Story, and I get the sense that he's going to remain hands off with the upcoming third and fourth seasons. (Fourth season is the Monica Lewinsky Scandal, apparently,)

As for Katrina being an "American Crime"; they're planning on adapting Five Days At Memorial, which recounts the extreme lengths that Doctors were forced to go to when the hospital they were working at became besieged by Hurricane Katrina. It fits the show's remit pretty well.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I guess I meant the Ryan Murphy brand, in a similar sense to the Tom Clancy brand.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Sand Monster posted:

Between this and American Psycho, Phil Collins' music certainly has been used in some weird sex scenes.

Don't forget the utterly dire one in Allen Gregory either.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
We're all trying very hard to forget Allen Gregory

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I guess my point is only monsters gently caress to Phil Collins, and he deserves better.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also I've been informed if you know the lyrics to "Gloria" then it's super on the nose.

quote:

Gloria, you're always on the run now
Running after somebody, you gotta get him somehow
I think you've got to slow down before you start to blow it
I think you're headed for a breakdown, so be careful not to show it

Subtle, but I am not familiar enough with the song so didn't realise it.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I feel like the show that Murphy really wants to make absolutely has to be the Jean Benet Ramsey story. It fits 100% with his MO over both shows so far, which is more a focus on imbalances in criminal justice and society, and the way that the media feeds on spectacle.

Anyway, I'm loving this so far. Great performances and absolutely beautiful direction.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Can we talk about how hosed beyond belief that episode last night was??? :stonk:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jesus Christ that episode deserves to win awards, plural.

The cold open/title card reminded me of Mr. Robot in all the best ways. God drat that episode was good, especially since I knew nothing about the true story of it

e: holy poo poo I didn't realize that was Ricky Martin playing Versace's partner :stare:

precision fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 2, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Can we talk about how hosed beyond belief that episode last night was??? :stonk:

I read what happened to Miglin on Cunanan’s Wikipedia page and was like “I hope we don’t get to see that”

Also Air Force One is one of three roles for Duke Miglin’s entire career.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 2, 2018

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I’m still not sure what made this guy tick. Why would he kill a former John? Why was he so angry about the description of the building?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Frosted Flake posted:

I’m still not sure what made this guy tick. Why would he kill a former John? Why was he so angry about the description of the building?

I'm getting the impression that he's just kind of an insane monster.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Without knowing the case well, I think that's part of why we're going back with each episode is getting to whatever turned him from cruising drifter to "gently caress YOU CLOSET CASES".

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Every episode now I'm like there's no way they no most of this poo poo the Wikipedia article said nothing about it. But then afterwards I read up on it and it turns out that there is indeed evidence for most of what they claimed happened. It's just it was never officially acknowledged and was denied by the family. It's absolutely fascinating that probably because there was no trial at the end, so much of why this happened is not officially recognized.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also man, were the 90s a terrible time for cars or what? That Lexus was supposed to be a luxury car?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Regy Rusty posted:

Every episode now I'm like there's no way they no most of this poo poo the Wikipedia article said nothing about it. But then afterwards I read up on it and it turns out that there is indeed evidence for most of what they claimed happened. It's just it was never officially acknowledged and was denied by the family. It's absolutely fascinating that probably because there was no trial at the end, so much of why this happened is not officially recognized.
Yeah, the Wiki for Lee Miglin is weirdly-empty. As if there's a regular effort to keep it "clean" of all of the homosexual allegations, which is very odd considering the Miglin family's extreme wealth. The entire article is practically a footnote. :tinfoil:

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also man, were the 90s a terrible time for cars or what? That Lexus was supposed to be a luxury car?
Yes, the 90s was an awful time for car design. We were barely out of the boxy, utilitarian car designs that dominated the '80s. Even base model cars of today put on a better illusion of "luxury" than the luxury cars of the 1990s since every car manufacturer wants to make their cheapest car feel like a luxury ride even if it isn't.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Do I need to know a thing about Versace to enjoy this season? I loved the OJ season but I dunno how much of that was because of how familiar I already was with the case, I know absolutely nothing about Versace.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I don't know any details and it's pretty solid. Leap in.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GobiasIndustries posted:

Do I need to know a thing about Versace to enjoy this season? I loved the OJ season but I dunno how much of that was because of how familiar I already was with the case, I know absolutely nothing about Versace.

END ME SCOOB posted:

I don't know any details and it's pretty solid. Leap in.
Yeah, this. I knew nothing about Versace going into this beyond that brand being big in high fashion and what celebs wear often. I had no idea there was one guy that behind that brand or that he was murdered or who his murderer was or anything, but the show's been unsettling the hell out of me so far and knowing it's based on real life (even if I wasn't aware of the real life case) makes it even more unsettling :ohdear:

So far it's mostly been Versace's killer (Cunanan) trying to charm people and murdering people in ridiculously violent, savage ways. He's a total psychopath. IIRC, the OJ season didn't show the murder that set the events of the season in motion. This one has included lots of murder so far.

Basically, if you're squeamish, don't watch this.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

The last episode doesn’t even have Versace at all. It’s mostly about Cunanan, who is not a particularly famous serial killer.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'd never even heard of him before a few weeks ago. But I hadn't ever heard of Gianni Versaci either.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I'm cool with it mostly being about Cunanan. I do hope we get some more of Edgar Ramirez though. He was great in Carlos.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I'm only half gay so I sort of knew who Versace was but I could have sworn he was only killed about 5 years ago for some reason.

Had no idea that the guy who did it was a serial killer either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

spudsbuckley posted:

I'm only half gay so I sort of knew who Versace was but I could have sworn he was only killed about 5 years ago for some reason.

Had no idea that the guy who did it was a serial killer either.

You may be remembering Alexander McQueen (who died but was not murdered)

• Locked thread