Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/23/activisions-destiny-2-is-struggling-right-now-cowen-analyst.html

Maybe the money people will yell at Bungie and make them do work.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

I have gotten mob justice four raid engrams in a row

fucj off

I've been getting so much identical loot (shinobu's vow and annual skates) I'm not even logging in for weekly milestones anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a
ask me about my 7 aeon whatevers. At least they make good infusion fuel?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
There's gotta still be some kind of loving bug. Almost all of my exotic grams are Shinobu's Vow or weapons I already have at this point. Thank gently caress for the fated engrams.

DXH
Dec 8, 2003

Ne Cede Malis
loquitor trip report: tried it out while doing the PE weekly on Titan, it's alright if you don't have a halfdan already. High impact reserves not that great even with a war rig. Honestly I prefer armor piercing on the halfdan because there's nothing like shooting a Capitan in the crotch and popping the heads of two dregs directly behind him.

Apparently everyone I was playing with this morning was also trying out the loquitor because all I heard was a beautiful cacophony of "chunk chunk chunk" everywhere I went.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

DrNutt posted:

There's gotta still be some kind of loving bug. Almost all of my exotic grams are Shinobu's Vow or weapons I already have at this point. Thank gently caress for the fated engrams.

I got all the CoO poo poo minus Pro Lens from Xur and Telesto from Banshee via Fated engrams. And there is a 90% chance every Milestone will let me Aeon gloves. P.dumb!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Okay I did get Telesto from something random last week and I gotta say: still the besto.

I soloed a heroic servitor public event with it and I wasn't even sure that was possible with the massive health buff they get on heroic.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

DrNutt posted:

Okay I did get Telesto from something random last week and I gotta say: still the besto.

I soloed a heroic servitor public event with it and I wasn't even sure that was possible with the massive health buff they get on heroic.

Yeah the Telesto owns. Its exotic perk is boring and lame now (there are too many Reload-oriented perks, jesus) but the actual gun is super nice.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://kotaku.com/devrim-kay-is-all-the-destiny-2-i-need-1822385138/amp

Probably the nicest thing anyone is saying about Destiny 2 online right now

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
uriels, or positive outlook?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tokubetsu posted:

More than the debate of tap the trigger vs kill clip, I've been incredibly spoiled by armor piercing ammo on my energy autos. "Why did these guys die? It's only a swarm of dogs-oh that's right they can't kill 12 dogs with a single mag."

Though that doesn't do much of anything in PvP.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 25, 2018

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Ask me about my approaching on dozen amounts of Gemini Jesters and Graviton Forfeits...

Bonus points if you ask about my ritualistic tower suicide each time I get one

(From Zavala :argh:)

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Tokubetsu posted:

Not sure how you can have a positive outlook in Destiny 2.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Morter posted:

Ask me about my approaching on dozen amounts of Gemini Jesters and Graviton Forfeits...

Bonus points if you ask about my ritualistic tower suicide each time I get one

(From Zavala :argh:)

Somehow I got four Jesters yesterday. It's insane.

Please bungo, finally give me my orpheus rig, enough with the jesters and aeon.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I had to find every other exo for my Hunter before xurs pity exo gave me my only last unfound item: da orphans rig

Now I can shoot orphans nonstop forever because I'm superman

JK I'm still not taking off my birb mask

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Will pay Bungie directly for Stompees and also a kinetic scout rifle that emulates the VSS Vintorez

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Yeah, I have lost all interest in the weekly engrams. That's to say I have lost all interest in Destiny 2...

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

am i correct in understanding that since the telesto shoots time bombs it doesn't have distance damage falloff or is that just me making stuff up

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Cowcaster posted:

am i correct in understanding that since the telesto shoots time bombs it doesn't have distance damage falloff or is that just me making stuff up

you are correct, although the aoe damage of the bombs has a falloff (meaning the further the target is from the explosion the less it does) and the spread can keep you from putting too many on a small target from a distance.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
All this masterwork armour and raid specific loot should've been in at the start and it's hard to care about stuff you've been farming forever.

destiny_2.txt i guess

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
twab actually covered a lot of stuff, you should all give it a read

I'm looking forward to the raid ghost and mods, at least

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Nice that you'll be able to just buy the 3 new IB guns. I guess the rare stuff will be the Sparrow, Ghost* and ship.

Not sure I like the samurai-asthetic on the ornamentation. I miss my doofy wolf-hood

I hate the season 2 ghost look

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dietrich posted:

you are correct, although the aoe damage of the bombs has a falloff (meaning the further the target is from the explosion the less it does) and the spread can keep you from putting too many on a small target from a distance.

great for hosing down strike bosses from a distance though, when i tried it on savathun’s song the other night

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Telesto works amazing on Argos adds. 2 hits minotaurs are melted.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Telsto works great everywhere as it's actually a good exotic.

Bathers also melt with it

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Plus it looks cool :toot:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i like merciless too to be fair

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Cowcaster posted:

i like merciless too to be fair

Also a good alternative for the Rocket Launcher slot. Yes

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

twab actually covered a lot of stuff, you should all give it a read

I'm looking forward to the raid ghost and mods, at least

I posted my reddit-cribbed redux in the console thread, but can confirm its a good read. Some good things coming soon:

quote:

Source: https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/46596

This week at Bungie, we’ve got details on the next update to Destiny 2.

On Tuesday, Faction Rallies came to a close, and New Monarchy defended their title. They are now two-time champions and they aren’t shy about rubbing it in the other factions’ faces. You can pick up their prize in the Tower. Servants loyal to the New Monarchy will get a discount. Everyone else can still get it, but it’s going to cost more Glimmer.

Perhaps Future War Cult will finally get a “W” the next time Factions Rallies returns. Until then, we have a new event to look forward to.

Salad Bar
It’s time. A battle of Guardian versus Guardian returns.

Begins: Tuesday, January 30 Ends: Tuesday, February 6
The game is Control!

This will be the first time Lord Saladin returns to the Tower in Season 2. There have been some changes to how you’ll go about decorating your Guardian with relics of the Iron Lords.

First, we are adding new items to the engrams you will find waiting for you when you visit Lord Saladin. There will definitely be Season 2 weapons in the Iron Banner Engram and we will be adding more in the next event. Here is a look at what rewards you can expect to earn next week.

Hand Cannon

Scout Rifle

Shotgun

Ghost, Sparrow, Emblem

The only thing not pictured is the Iron Banner ship. We’ll save that for when you discover it yourself.

**If you are missing items from last season, they will still drop as possible rewards from the engram.**
There is also a new emblem that tracks how many lifetime rank ups for Iron Banner you have earned in Destiny 2. You can earn it by completing the Iron Banner Milestone.

We've received a lot of feedback from previous Iron Banner events that players preferred a way to directly acquire items. We have added the ability to obtain armor and three different weapons from Lord Saladin during each event. Here is what he has to offer next week.

The final way to earn rewards is by completing challenges. Ornaments are available for all your Iron Banner gear and you can unlock them by completing various objectives for Lord Saladin.

There are no limits to how many engrams you can acquire or how many tokens you can earn. Get as much playtime as you can during the week. It will always move you a little closer to opening another engram, earning an ornament, or purchasing a piece of gear from Lord Saladin. Go nuts!

Masters of the Armor

Many of you have already been discovering Masterwork weapons and adding them to your collection. Next week, we are adding Armor Masterworks to the mix. All Legendary armor now has a chance to drop as a Masterwork. The same rules apply as with the weapons, you will have a higher chance of getting Armor Masterwork from Trials of the Nine and Raid activities. But you might get lucky with an engram from Lord Shaxx or any other vendor who offers engrams.

The Benefits

- Each armor piece grants 3% damage resistance while using a Super
- This stacks for a 15% damage reduction if you have a full set of Masterwork Armor
- Masterworks armor can be reworked to a different stat package (Heavy, Light, or Restorative) for one Masterwork core and 10 Legendary Shards

You can now rework stats on your armor. The results will still be stat packages that are found on other pieces. There is a UI bug right now where if you try to quickly rework Armor sets it will appear to rework to the same stats. It doesn’t actually perform the rework function or use your materials, but can be quite scary, so we wanted to give you a heads up. (WAFFLNOTE: A more specific explanation is available towards the end; in this case you reroll the stats of an armor piece to be Recovery oriented, Resilience oriented, mobility oriented. This is a form of de facto transmog, and IMO is some much needed improvement.)

This is just the first version of Armor Masterworks. We are planning to continue updating this system and adding additional benefits. As always, if you have any feedback, please let us know.

Happy hunting.

Raid Reward Renewal
Raiding is one of Destiny 2’s ultimate endgame experiences. So far, you have explored the mysteries of the Leviathan and dove even deeper into its first Lair, the Eater of Worlds. We’ve received feedback that, while the experiences were epic, the rewards could use some more love. We invited Senior Designer Daniel Auchenpaugh to tell you more about what we’re changing with rewards starting with next week’s Raids.

Daniel Auchenpaugh: With the upcoming January patch, we're making a number of changes to the way Raid rewards work. We've been hearing that the current system doesn't feel exciting when you kill bosses, that tokens aren't interesting enough, and that you want more deep-chase items to hunt down. This is our first swing at tackling some of those, and we hope you'll jump in and play with these changes a bit and then let us know how you feel. For now, let's dive in to the changes and talk a bit about our goals and thinking with them.

Raid Armor: Now With Raid Perks!
Raid armor now drops with perks that function on the Leviathan; these appear on mods that are selectable on both new drops and existing Raid armor pieces you may alread have in your inventory. Additionally, these mods are reusable: if you swap to another one these will always be in the list to swap back to on your Raid armor for the low, low price of 1 Calus Token. Since no one wants to take a -5 Power penalty if they remove their Legendary mods while in the Raid, all the Raid mods are Legendary by default. This should also be extra icing on the cake for players who can’t seem to get that last mod they need to max their gear out.

The goal for these perks was to elevate the power of Guardians in the Raid, and we aimed to build things that were useful in every encounter. As a result, we avoided things that relied on specific mechanics to be useful and moved to broadly useful perks like "Recharge your grenade when you activate your Super" and "Deal 20% extra damage after getting a melee kill" as opposed to things tied to specific mechanics.

Double Drops
Clearing Prestige now gives you Prestige and normal drops. If you have the prowess to clear Prestige, then you've proven yourself enough that we don't need to force you to go back and do Normal as well. (WAFFLNOTE: This is cool and good.)

Raid Encounters Always Drop a Raid Piece
We didn't want players to have that "dead encounter" feeling anymore, where they had already received all the rewards for that encounter and were just waiting on a later encounter. Or, even worse, the disappointed feeling where no one in your raid group gets something, which could happen under rare circumstances in the old system. So we've unified the drop tables for the encounters so that raid gear isn't tied to a specific encounter anymore (with an exception I'll get in to down below...) so no matter what encounter you clear, you can get raid loot. Oh, and every encounter has a chance to drop an exotic. Not an engram that you have to take back to Rahool for decryption, but an item you could equip and start using immediately if you want. This list of possible exotic drops is comprised of all non-quest exotics, with armor and weapons weighted equally, and is restricted to things your class can equip.

Raid Vendor Sells a Rotating Selection of Raid Gear
If you just can't get that last piece to drop for you, we want to give you some agency with your tokens. For a cost of Legendary Shards and some Calus Tokens, you can purchase these pieces if you have completed that raid for the week. For instance, if you want to buy the Prestige Chest armor, you need to complete Prestige mode that week before you can do so. This is so people can't save up tokens by sticking to normal mode and still wear the Prestige gear; we wanted to give people agency to fill in those few slots they're missing, not negate the need to progress further in the raid. Ole Benedict will change up what pieces they have available for purchase each week.

New Item: Exotic Raid Ghost "Contender's Shell"
While not quite at the grind level of the legendary Nanophoenix, we felt like we needed to add a chase item to the Raid pool to make coming back still have reward potential each week. Enter the Contender’s Shell. This Ghost can drop from the final encounter in either Leviathan or Eater of Worlds. We also included some bad luck protection to avoid the previously mentioned "Nanophoenix Problem" so that dedicated raiders can rest assured they'll get their hands on it eventually, even if it takes several weeks. (WAFFLNOTE: I still don't have a Nanophoenix)

The Contender's Shell comes with some brand new perks that we're hoping helps reward players that keep clearing the Raid even after they've gotten their Ghost. Both active only on the Leviathan, and it’s lair, they aim to make Leviathan encounter rewards stay awesome. First, Seeker of Brilliance enables the chance for encounters to drop Bright Engrams from their loot pools. Every time one doesn't drop a Bright Engram, we increase the chance for the next. Remember those Exotics that can drop from encounters I was talking about earlier? Well, Seeker of Opulence means those exotics have a 50% chance to pull from a list of Exotics you haven't collected yet instead of the standard list. Lastly, to top off this already pretty rad Ghost, we threw on Seeker of Glory, which provides a tracker for the number of encounters you have defeated on the Leviathan.

I realize this is a bit of an avalanche of text more than a wall, but I wanted to talk about both what we were working on and why we did it. I know we still aren't going to address every concern here, but hopefully this is a start in good faith. If we missed the mark on something, please let us know. Additionally, if you think we really nailed it with one of these changes, please give us that feedback as well so we can keep doing more of that. We're hard at work on the next month's update now, but I hope next week you jump back in to the Leviathan (both Raid and the Lair) and let us know how it feels.

Patch Note Preview
Armor Masterworks and changes to Raid rewards aren’t the only changes coming in the upcoming 1.1.2 update on January 30. Here is a look at a few of the other fixes you can expect to see in the full notes next week.

Prometheus Lens
- Flame Refraction perk now generates ammo instead of pulling from reserves
- Increased base damage
- Fixed an issue where new characters created after the release of Curse of Osiris were not receiving the Flashpoint milestone

Other:
- Players in social spaces, like the Tower, receive a notification when their Lost and Found at the Postmaster is full
- Heroic strike completions now have a greater chance of granting Exotic rewards
- Mercury challenges are now available during adventures
- Fixed an issue where Curse of Osiris strikes were not properly granting Clan Engrams when featured as a Nightfall activity
- Fixed an issue where Challenges were not appearing within Quickplay
- Increased the dismantle timer for Masterwork Cores

Shader Sit-down
Since the launch of Destiny 2, we’ve gathered a lot of feedback on the new shader system. As time went on, and the shaders began to pile up, players lamented the cumbersome process of trying to delete each shader one by one.

You’ve been asking us why we can’t just allow you to dismantle entire stacks of shaders. I mean, there are other consumables that can be dismantled in mass. It’s a totally reasonable question and we wanted to let you know the facts. We’re not making excuses or claiming this problem is too hard to solve. We just want to be transparent about what the problem is, and how we are going to go about solving it. Here is Senior Design Lead Tyson Green to shed some light on shaders.

Tyson Green posted:

Shaders are individual items, and individual items trigger individual reward bundles when dismantled, even when those rewards are simple. That creates a challenge for us that we haven’t yet addressed, which is triggering dozens (or hundreds) of reward bundles simultaneously when an entire stack of shaders is dismantled. This is challenging not simply because an arbitrary number of rewards need to be run and delivered simultaneously, but because we also have to safeguard against scenarios where this produced items that couldn’t fit in your inventory, which could be instantly lost (ex: shaders that produce Glimmer could easily evaporate into nothing if you were at or near the cap.)

It would be relatively easy to find another button on the controller (LT + X?) and let players actually delete a full stack, but that isn’t the spirit of what players are asking for (WAFFLNOTE: Yeah I think it is, unless there's a bigger and better solution at hand like stated below), so we’re looking at a stronger solve. In addition, we’re also looking at how to address other shader feedback:

- It should be easier to get rid of a stack of shaders. We are looking at mass exchange solutions.
- We know you miss D1 Armor Shader mechanics. Looking at ways to re-integrate that capability without losing the ability to shade weapons, Ghosts, ships, Sparrows, or customize specific pieces of armor.
- We also understand you want shaders to be more freely usable and not limited by availability. We’re looking at re-introducing shader collections or a way to get copies of a shader in your possession.
- This work is ongoing, and we’ll go on record as to when the solution will land as we get closer to a fix that we test and certify. For now, it was important to us that you know it’s on our workbench.

Armor Masterworks: Reworking Perks
Late in development, an issue was discovered impacting the ability to rework Masterwork Armor pieces quickly in succession. If a player attempts to rework a Masterwork Armor piece immediately after reworking the item, a progress bar will fill, but no action is completed in game. The armor piece will retain the previously held perk, and no Masterwork Cores are lost due to this issue. Players will be required to attempt this action again when experiencing this issue.

The issue is currently being investigated by appropriate teams, and we will provide updates via @BungieHelp when more information is available.

Who here enjoys watching movies? Good, because we got more of ‘em. These are our favorites from this week. We are sending their creators a special emblem as a reward for their effort. You too can get your hands on the emblem. Just submit your video to the Creations page and you will get your shot. Don’t throw it away.

<...>

Some of what we’re talking about this week are just the first steps in the plan we laid out in our Development Update a few weeks ago. You can expect the next update to land in February. We don’t plan on going dark until then. We’ll be around, keeping you informed on how everything is going. Next week, we will send out a graphical roadmap that will illustrate the updates we have planned for the coming weeks and months, along with what you can expect to find in them.

With Armor Masterworks and the new Raid rewards, next week is a prime opportunity to revisit the Leviathan. If raiding isn’t your jam, Iron Banner is calling your name. I plan on partaking in both. Maybe I’ll see you out in the wild.

<3 Cozmo

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wasn’t someone just saying they wanted a scout rifle equivalent of a vss vintorez

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I like how even when Bungie is implementing a good feature into Destiny games they always have to slip a little "gently caress you" into it, in this case by making it so you can only randomly reroll your masterwork stats instead of just choosing what you want. It's goddamn chroma all over again.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
So the raids drop a digivice now?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Gadzuko posted:

I like how even when Bungie is implementing a good feature into Destiny games they always have to slip a little "gently caress you" into it, in this case by making it so you can only randomly reroll your masterwork stats instead of just choosing what you want. It's goddamn chroma all over again.
I didn't even realize it was a reroll, rather than picking. That's so dumb.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Elysiume posted:

I didn't even realize it was a reroll, rather than picking. That's so dumb.

It's 50/50 you get the one you want assuming they don't gently caress up and make it so it can roll the same one again, which is a big assumption.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TVsVeryOwn posted:

It's 50/50 you get the one you want assuming they don't gently caress up and make it so it can roll the same one again, which is a big assumption.

Even as a 50/50, with no bad luck mitigation it could be potentially infinite re-rolls before you get the stat you want.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Even as a 50/50, with no bad luck mitigation it could be potentially infinite re-rolls before you get the stat you want.

That's our Destiny!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
It's less about the cost and more of "what benefit does it bring to the gym to flip a coin in a negligible way to get a thing you want." Running the raid to try to get a fun is doing fun, challenging content to get a drop from a broad pool. Rerolling your stats is clicking a button and burning resources on a 50/50. Who actually has any interest in the latter? RNG doesn't need to be everywhere.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The Masterwork armor thing cracks me the hell up.

Hey so to get your ideal stat it's a 50/50 shot, so statiscally you'll have to try twice

Also there's a known bug with trying twice

gently caress you, buy Silver

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
now that I've spent some time away from destiny and the thread, Jesus christ you fuckers are a miserable lot

this is the game you deserve

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

now that I've spent some time away from destiny and the thread, Jesus christ you fuckers are a miserable lot

this is the game you deserve

Let's just hope nobody defenstrates their XIM/bursts a blood vessel next week while shutter-island-raging over the reroll UI bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Why does Supremacy always seem like a much more difficult, sweatier, hopeless situation than Clash?

I've had Clash games where I do great and ones where I do awful, it never feels unfair and I just accept that such is life. Supremacy is always a one-sided stomp that feels MLG as all hell. You get basically one ult in the entire game if you're a normal non-godly person and everyone is running around sliding and doing more Counter-Strike-ey plays than Clash. It's also, IMO, way less fun as far as a "casual" playlist goes.

It's like, "what if we had a mode that got rid of the things that separate Destiny from all the other shooters?"

• Locked thread