Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

legit was getting seasick when I first started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So how similar to rear end Cred 4 is this seeming? I really don't care about the multiplayer, I just really want a decent pirate experience.

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>

Nckdictator posted:

So how similar to rear end Cred 4 is this seeming? I really don't care about the multiplayer, I just really want a decent pirate experience.

in terms of ship combat and travel, it feels a lot like first-person rear end creed

but most importantly you can play in a pirate band and ring a bell on-deck really, really fast. What more could you want?

GODDAMN FOOL fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 25, 2018

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Holy crap, I just found a chest of a thousand grogs in a shipwreck. It made me drunk as soon as I picked it up and it plays what should we do with a drunken sailor the entire time you hold it.

I'm dying.

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>

Ehud posted:

Holy crap, I just found a chest of a thousand grogs in a shipwreck. It made me drunk as soon as I picked it up and it plays what should we do with a drunken sailor the entire time you hold it.

I'm dying.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO WITH A drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrunkkken SAILOOORRRRRR

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Is there any way to do a different sensitivity for the gun? It's so incredibly slow when I look around while scoped.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 50 minutes!
Dinosaur Gum
Be careful if you pick up the chest of sorrows

It appears to flood your boat with water and I think it may cause storms as well?

Just had a wicked pirate battle on stormy seas where 3 of us were together: one on bucket/map duty, one on sails and one on the wheel

The fourth guy played an accordion

This game is definitely fun with a group with mics

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Just finished 3 hours of playing with my brother. If the full version is this + more content at launch and they do regular updates, this game will do well. The core gameplay is really solid.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Sea of thieves kicks so much rear end. If you're not talking like a pirate the whole time you play, you're doing it wrong.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

moist turtleneck posted:

Be careful if you pick up the chest of sorrows

It appears to flood your boat with water and I think it may cause storms as well?

Just had a wicked pirate battle on stormy seas where 3 of us were together: one on bucket/map duty, one on sails and one on the wheel

The fourth guy played an accordion

This game is definitely fun with a group with mics

If you put the chest of sorrows on your deck facing off the side you shouldn't get any water in your ship. This game is pretty fun but I can't play in this beta sadly.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Since I don't have windows 10, I have been watching streams, and watching the most viewed ones like a pleb.

Which is cool as this happened

https://clips.twitch.tv/SlipperyExpensivePicklesTooSpicy

EDIT: some context, they where chasing another boat through a storm, anchored for a hard turn? and than another ship showed up on the other side

Stevefin fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 25, 2018

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i made the mistake of gathering seven chests before going to turn in...there was a galleon sitting at the outpost. they ignored me at first, but when i went to return for my second chest i noticed one of them on my ship. drove him off, killed two others, but by that point my ship was sinking and i was dead.

please turn in your chests often, but the fact you can't be safe even at port is kind of annoying.

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>
weird, i played for 3 hours tonight and saw 0 random players

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
Played for too long and had a blast. Between ship to ship battles, boarding, ramming, treasure hunting, locking people in the brig and vomiting all over them, even with the limited content available it's a blast. It's also gorgeous, the aesthetic is nice and the waves are done drat well.

Also, sinking the same ship twice in a row when they come back to reclaim their loot :c00l:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQbv1TowkJA

automaticswim fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 25, 2018

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This game seems cool and I wanna play but the Microsoft store keeps saying it can't process my payment and to contact support so meh.

Games for Windows y'all.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I love what they did with the storms. It's completely disorienting and the way the wheel whirls around if you don't hold it is awesome. In general, I think all the mechanics work great.

I had a bug where I couldn't upgrade my Gold Hoarders thing to level 5, though.

I'm still worried about the lack of content. Fetch quests and skeletons as the only enemies are going to get tiresome fast. This is going for 90$ on the Microsoft Store here in Denmark, so they have to add a shitload of content or drop the price significantly for me to buy it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The storm is hilarious. We got into a battle with another ship in a brutal storm and it was a blast. We could barely see, you can feel yourself fighting against the wind, the compass blows in circles and disorients you...it's just super immersive.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003
Probation
Dinosaur Gum
I wish I could upgrade my ship to have a window to see through the sails when I'm being the captain

I've relegated myself to map bitch now because no one would tell me if I was about to crash the ship into a fuckin fortress

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

Boz0r posted:

I'm still worried about the lack of content. Fetch quests and skeletons as the only enemies are going to get tiresome fast. This is going for 90$ on the Microsoft Store here in Denmark, so they have to add a shitload of content or drop the price significantly for me to buy it.

This is still a legitimate concern, but as another said I'm cautiously optimistic. You'll notice there are a lot of npc's completely missing from the beta, and the devs have confirmed there will be things like sea monsters and other types of quests as well. There's still only one trading company enabled, it'd have been nice if they added one more for the beta though.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

automaticswim posted:

This is still a legitimate concern, but as another said I'm cautiously optimistic. You'll notice there are a lot of npc's completely missing from the beta, and the devs have confirmed there will be things like sea monsters and other types of quests as well. There's still only one trading company enabled, it'd have been nice if they added one more for the beta though.

Yeah, I hope it'll be awesome. There was another trading company in the alpha, but it was still just fetch quests.

Luffles
Jul 25, 2007

The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame
Really concerned with the state of 'progression' in the game. Talking to people who played in the alpha say a lot of stuff is missing, but even with what they say is gone, the game seems to be missing some core gameplay elements. Hanging out with your mateys on pirate ships is dope and all, but I want to feel risk/reward beyond losing my chests.

I think as you age in game, you should get a lingering buff that does.. something. Makes you look cooler, get more gold per sell, whatever. But as soon as you die, it's gone. Or maybe the same thing, but with your crews ship. The game also really badly needs a way to catch other players boats that isn't "get on board and drop their anchor".

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
Looks fun, but drat the pricing in ms store.. Any word if they'll hold an open beta before release?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't think they going to add it, but I I really, really hope they add ship customization, and I don't mean different colored sails and poo poo like that.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
This is the best pick-em-up game I've played in a long time...

BIG XXX BLASTS WITH SEAMEN ON BOAT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUIJzYkRv7A

betrayal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u0FsrWykDc

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
this game looks awesome but i'll wait a few months till its fleshed out more so i can fully immerse myself in its madness because every other time i've jumped in a beta this early i got burnt out on incremental features as they were added

idk what Rare has been up to since the Conker/Banjo Kazooie days but i doubt they'll ever disappoint

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Thief posted:

this game looks awesome but i'll wait a few months till its fleshed out more so i can fully immerse myself in its madness because every other time i've jumped in a beta this early i got burnt out on incremental features as they were added

idk what Rare has been up to since the Conker/Banjo Kazooie days but i doubt they'll ever disappoint

Yeah, right now there is just one trading company doing quests. You really only need to get in to the beta if you want to try out some of the core gameplay and game engine.

I would like to see more gameplay that encourages PVP action. Maybe do some daily quests that encourage crews to all go towards the same section of the world map. Or add in regular "event quests" with treasure that is really valuable and hard to find and give everyone the same clues.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Definitely the more player interaction they can achieve the better. It seems like they've already done a bit to improve that. The spyglass is new and they have increased the distance that you can see other players ships, so that's a good start.

They are going to have to deal with the contingent that whines every time they get a chest stolen, but honestly the game doesn't seem like it will ever be super entertaining to play in a bubble. Gathering chests isn't that fun if there's really no risk to it or a chance for emergent gameplay.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003
Probation
Dinosaur Gum
One thing that I'm really noticing with this beta is that it doesn't run like poo poo

Battlefield 1 beta was awful, Destiny 2 Beta was awful

This one is super fun, is not laggy, and has a minimum of bugs

I'll have to rip the video later but we had a ship that spawned upside down but wouldn't sink. Someone had to get to the wheel and guide it towards an island to crash it so we could get a new one.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

This is definitely a game the loves or dies by playing with a crew who talks over mic or with friends. Playing solo I just can’t imagine is that much fun and I suppose they only included it to appease anti-social nerds

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

moist turtleneck posted:

One thing that I'm really noticing with this beta is that it doesn't run like poo poo

Battlefield 1 beta was awful, Destiny 2 Beta was awful

This one is super fun, is not laggy, and has a minimum of bugs

I'll have to rip the video later but we had a ship that spawned upside down but wouldn't sink. Someone had to get to the wheel and guide it towards an island to crash it so we could get a new one.

the destiny 2 beta ran perfectly fine for most people, and i think it was some stereoscopic setting that caused the most issues, traitor

also, there's an option to scuttle your ship, somewhere, iirc

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003
Probation
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah the scuttle option requires all 4 to scuttle and we had one Non-Mic Haver

And I agree the destiny beta ran well but it didn't make me want to play more at all. I still love that gif of Tei golden gunning mooks and them not dying. Really made me excited

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Can you sabotage your own ship with a keg of gunpowder? Last night autoswim, myself, and another goon kept locking our pubbies in the brig and I wonder what happens to them if we lock them in there and sink our own boat.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Still can’t play the drat game. Keep getting the I’m too early message.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

What does the quest-giving NPC look like? I must be blind because I couldn't find 'em. :(

\/\/\/\/
Cool, thanks, I'll look again tonight when I fire it up.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 25, 2018

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

sleepwalkers posted:

What does the quest-giving NPC look like? I must be blind because I couldn't find 'em. :(

He stands in a tent and has an eyepatch with a green glowie thing on it. He's in the middle of the island under the giant ship.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003
Probation
Dinosaur Gum
He has a gold nose, chin, and fingers

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

He has a gold nose, chin, and fingers

Oh waitaminute, I've seen that dude. Every time I tried to interact with him last night, I just got a spinning loading indicator. :(

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003
Probation
Dinosaur Gum
He had issues for a bit last night, I couldn't buy the 0 coin voyages but he eventually got less stingy

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
https://clips.twitch.tv/ColdbloodedBlitheSamosaNotLikeThis

this is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Bum the Sad posted:

Still can’t play the drat game. Keep getting the I’m too early message.

Ditto, been a whole drat day already.