Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Powershift posted:

Rigging up this jobbie so i can stop gassing my neighbors on cold mornings.

...maybe i need to just permanently mount it :shrug:

For future reference, the truck was $750, the pipe from lowes was like $12. The labour cost is around $4600 for the 8 minutes it took, i'm expensive as gently caress.

That looks awful I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Powershift posted:

Rigging up this jobbie so i can stop gassing my neighbors on cold mornings.

...maybe i need to just permanently mount it :shrug:

For future reference, the truck was $750, the pipe from lowes was like $12. The labour cost is around $4600 for the 8 minutes it took, i'm expensive as gently caress.

POVERTY DETECTION SYSTEM TRIGGERED

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 46 minutes!
Fan of Britches

Rhyno posted:

POVERTY DETECTION SYSTEM TRIGGERED

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Verman posted:

Its really not that bad. Its an afternoon of work at most. The nice thing is that its not like your engine/suspension/steering/brake components type of frustration. Its pretty easy. If your old seat covers are in bad enough shape, this would be the perfect time to replace them. And by seat covers I mean the actual factory fabric that covers the seat, not some cheap walmart slip on seat cover.

But really. Running them through the washing machine released the 6 years of dust, grime and farts from the previous owner who wasn't the cleanest guy and appeared to have owned a beagle based off the hair that was in the hidden nooks and crannies. When they came out of the washing machine they looked night and day different.

I did it on my Crown Vic’s driver’s seat, because it was so nasty. Not terrible to do.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I dug it out from under 6 weeks of Quebec snow, and pulled the canopy off of my Ranger. A kind stranger with excellent timing helped me move it 3 metres and lean it against the fence at the side of my apartment building - he even effortlessly switched to English after I shoved some badly mangled French at him "Aidez-moi?". Then I tried to start the truck because it needs to go for its re-inspection for provincial registration on Tuesday.

The battery is COMPLETELY dead - not even the power door locks work. It's been sitting there since 8 December but the battery was new in October. I suspect the crappy security system - a bright blinky blue light above the rear-view mirror - pulled the battery down while I was away, but I'm not sure - there could easily be some other parasitic draw on the system somewhere. I guess tomorrow I have a walk to the local Crappy Tire to use my gift card from christmas to get a battery charger. I don't think it's ever sat for longer than 6 weeks since I've owned it, but it did sit for 5 weeks last May without any problems so I dunno.

This is, I REALLY hope, the final chapter of my ridiculous trapped-by-insurance-weirdness misadventure since moving from Ontario to Quebec in October. The short version is, my Ontario insurance expired in mid-November, so I took it for its out-of-province mechanical inspection in late October. It failed for a series of "minor" problems (major problems get the vehicle more-or-less impounded until fixed, minor problems you can drive away and deal with later), some of which (front brake rotors + pads, front-left wheel bearing) I decided to leave to the professionals. All of the professionals were turbo-busy in November, so I couldn't get it fixed until after the insurance expired. The work was done the first week of December after my local mechanic called a guy he knows to tow my truck to the shop - tow trucks I talked to on the phone refused to pick up an uninsured vehicle. I couldn't renew Ontario insurance from a Quebec address, and I couldn't get Quebec insurance without registering it in Quebec, and it can't be registered if it failed an inspection until after a successful re-inspection.

The last item on the inspection report was that the cyclop was obscured. This is the Quebecois term for the high center brake light, and while dealing with this (remove canopy) is a minor pain, I love the term and I want the rest of AI to start using it.

Cyclop: noun, the center brake light on cars and light trucks.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ExecuDork posted:

The last item on the inspection report was that the cyclop was obscured. This is the Quebecois term for the high center brake light, and while dealing with this (remove canopy) is a minor pain, I love the term and I want the rest of AI to start using it.

Cyclop: noun, the center brake light on cars and light trucks.

It's called a dang CHMSL. No need to get all french about it.

If you're going to get a battery charger, it might cost about as much to get one of those lithium jumper packs. Might be more useful unless you need to bench charge batteries more often than you need to bail out a dead battery with a jump.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 21, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

A3th3r posted:

Poor person detected

A thing you should think about with these shops is that they need to earn a living wage in order to do the work that they do & it is ok to spend a little more on maintenance on a better car.
People who are too tight with the spending of the money never get to that point where they are earning the big bucks. When you make 70k a year at a fortune 500 company you can just do stuff like that. The car no longer has a check engine light on, runs like a dream, and is in great shape for its age. I understand that cheap, crappy cars like toyota tercels & honda civics do just fine with parts from O'reilly's. On another note, I do have a brother who likes to drive junkers and is really cheap sort of like Elmnt80 there. He does happen to be poor but he is ok with that. I guess I don't know what else to tell you but to just calm down a bit there & try to lighten up. It's just a car ;)

Good job on reading up on how to act like a BMW owner and then going through the effort to troll the automotive subforum on something awful dot com by playing into the stereotypes. I hope our posts were the reaction you were going for.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Installed a catted 3” J-pipe and midpipe on the WRX today, as well as removing the secondary boost restrictor pill. Have the car reflashed to an off-the-shelf Stage 2+ map, with plans on taking it to a tuner in the near future.

Shiny

Still technically legal

I realized after this pic that I had the mid pipe backwards

All bolted together

Boost restrictor pill on its way out

Initial impressions: LOUD, since I had already done a muffler delete. If I find it to be too obnoxious I’ll put the stock mufflers back on in the future since it only takes 15 minutes. Car has a nice crackle and pop on downshift. I am super paranoid after every install and I can definitely smell the new exhaust burning in so it freaks me out a little but I’m sure it will go away. The quality of the pipe is really nice especially at the price point. Fitment was perfect. Welds look good, flanges are nice and thick, and they gave me nice layered steel gaskets. Two thumbs up so far.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I don't miss the way my straight piped WRX sounded at idle, but beating on it it made fantastic noises.

Success!

I never thought about it, but now i can work on it in the garage without getting the bubblies, bonus!

I may need to also investigate this mode being permanent.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Go full Canadian boso and form it into the shape of a maple leaf.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011
Probation
Fan of Britches

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Go full Canadian boso and form it into the shape of a maple leaf.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

I don't miss the way my straight piped WRX sounded at idle, but beating on it it made fantastic noises.

Success!

I never thought about it, but now i can work on it in the garage without getting the bubblies, bonus!

I may need to also investigate this mode being permanent.

You could cut a hole in your garage door and run dryer vent to it, like on a dyno.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Found the front valve cover pissing oil onto the catalytic converter after work saturday. Seems to be the source of the phantom burning fluid smell I've had for like... 7-8 months? Or at least one of them.

Nice and clean for 14 years old and 125k miles. One of the cam lobes had a light mark on it, but I couldn't catch my nail on anything.

The leak was coming from this corner, where the pulley for the water pump thats attached to the camshaft passes through the head. I dabbled some ultimate grey rtv at the seams there and where the timing cover joins to the other side and put in a new gasket to replace the half rock hard, half dry rotted one that broke when I pulled the cover.

Lessons learned:
Don't do this with a hosed up shoulder
I own a baby impact just for doing this kind of poo poo, I should have used it instead of the t-handle to take stuff off
I'm paying someone loving else to do the back bank
gently caress anything breathed on by jag and/or ford
I need deep well impacts and extensions
I need a 3/8 breaker bar

Edit: Also, as soon as I got inside after finishing, a notification popped on my phone that it was going to start raining in under 10 minutes. Couldn't have timed it better if I tried.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 23, 2018

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Elmnt80 posted:

I'm paying someone loving else to do the back bank
gently caress anything breathed on by jag and/or ford

That's probably a good plan. I've done enough work on minivans with sideways v6 engines this is giving me PTSD. I had a lot of vehicles come in and the customer said "I did the easy one, but I have no idea how to get to the spark plugs, VC gaskets, whatever on the back bank". FUUUUU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

chrisgt posted:

That's probably a good plan.

Better plan: don't buy transverse mounted V engines. Not even once.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Nothing like having to rotate an engine to change plugs.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Larrymer posted:

Wholly concur.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

I cleaned the trunk of the CV and finally installed the tank mount I've been schlepping around for the last year. I think it's for O2 tanks but works a peach with these fire extinguishers.

Not shown I zip-tied the lug wrench underneath the shelf (so it can be ripped off when needed) and did the same to a bottle jack inside the spare tire.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I cleaned the trunk of the CV and finally installed the tank mount I've been schlepping around for the last year. I think it's for O2 tanks but works a peach with these fire extinguishers.

Not shown I zip-tied the lug wrench underneath the shelf (so it can be ripped off when needed) and did the same to a bottle jack inside the spare tire.

That's neat! Planning on the car catching fire a bunch?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
They're leftover from when I had the two ACVWs. A few times before on road trips I have also come across other cars either overheating or on fire and I think it'll be nice to be able to help somebody. I'd only carry one but the mount really only works with two.

Also this is my only car now and a fire extinguisher can be the difference between a weekend rebuilding a wiring harness and being without a vehicle.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

A3th3r posted:

When you make 70k a year at a fortune 500 company you can just do stuff like that

:laffo:

Sorry champ, $70k is in the middle of middle class these days (maybe lower middle class depending where you are), not LOOK AT MY FUKKIN 12+ YEAR OLD BMW, I DIDN'T EVEN GET A REACH AROUND WHEN I DROPPED $600 ON A THERMOSTAT, BUT IT'S OKAY BECAUSE I DON'T DARE GET DIRT UNDER MY NAILS rich. It's not "rich" by any definition in the US. A lot of the people you might be looking down upon from your high horse may very well be making much more than you - I have a good friend that pulls in 6 figures a year as a WAITER (and drives a mid 00s Subaru WRX with about 300k), and the owner of the shop that raped you probably takes home $150k+ himself.

A good chunk of us make at least as much, if not significantly more, and a lot of us also work for Fortune 500s, or even 100s. Big whoop. Go slam that tiny dick in your BMW's trunk lid a few times for a bit of a reality check (or better yet, a Cadillac with the finger-mangler trunk pull down). A lot of us genuinely enjoy working on our cars (yes, even some BMWs) - we (mostly) don't do it because we're too broke to take it to a shop, we do it because we enjoy doing the work, and want the job done right. We have regular posters in AI driving everything from soviet era Ladas to Ferraris.

Jeff Bezos, the richest man in America, drives a loving Honda. Or did, as recently as 2013. He may have upgraded to an Acura by now. :v: Bill Gates has a Ford Focus as a daily driver (... with a Porsche as a weekend driver). Warren Buffet drives a $45k Cadillac. Mark Zuckerberg drives an Acura TSX. Michael Dell drives a 14 year old Porsche. Steve Ballmer drives a Ford Fusion.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 25, 2018

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Oh god don’t touch the poop.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

drat it str...

chrisgt posted:

That's probably a good plan. I've done enough work on minivans with sideways v6 engines this is giving me PTSD. I had a lot of vehicles come in and the customer said "I did the easy one, but I have no idea how to get to the spark plugs, VC gaskets, whatever on the back bank". FUUUUU

Oh, I know exactly how to do it, I just don't want to gently caress with it. Its not worth the pain from my shoulder to do this again. The rear bank is dry still so gently caress it for now.

Larrymer posted:

Yes, but I had to have a wagon. It only comes with a v6. I willingly did this to myself.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

:laffo:

Sorry champ, $70k is in the middle of middle class these days (maybe lower middle class depending where you are), not LOOK AT MY FUKKIN 12+ YEAR OLD BMW, I DIDN'T EVEN GET A REACH AROUND WHEN I DROPPED $600 ON A THERMOSTAT, BUT IT'S OKAY BECAUSE I DON'T DARE GET DIRT UNDER MY NAILS rich. It's not "rich" by any definition in the US. A lot of the people you might be looking down upon from your high horse may very well be making much more than you - I have a good friend that pulls in 6 figures a year as a WAITER (and drives a mid 00s Subaru WRX with about 300k), and the owner of the shop that raped you probably takes home $150k+ himself.

A good chunk of us make at least as much, if not significantly more, and a lot of us also work for Fortune 500s, or even 100s. Big whoop. Go slam that tiny dick in your BMW's trunk lid a few times for a bit of a reality check (or better yet, a Cadillac with the finger-mangler trunk pull down). A lot of us genuinely enjoy working on our cars (yes, even some BMWs) - we (mostly) don't do it because we're too broke to take it to a shop, we do it because we enjoy doing the work, and want the job done right. We have regular posters in AI driving everything from soviet era Ladas to Ferraris.

Jeff Bezos, the richest man in America, drives a loving Honda. Or did, as recently as 2013. He may have upgraded to an Acura by now. :v: Bill Gates has a Ford Focus as a daily driver (... with a Porsche as a weekend driver). Warren Buffet drives a $45k Cadillac. Mark Zuckerberg drives an Acura TSX. Michael Dell drives a 14 year old Porsche. Steve Ballmer drives a Ford Fusion.

drat, bro

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Larrymer posted:

Counterpoint: Fiero

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wait hey also the 3800 is real cool okay thanks bye

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Elmnt80 posted:

Yes, but I had to have a wagon. It only comes with a v6. I willingly did this to myself.

I've only had 4 and 5 cylinder wagons :iiam:
Of course they're all turds, but hey...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Go slam that tiny dick in your BMW's trunk lid a few times for a bit of a reality check (or better yet, a Cadillac with the finger-mangler trunk pull down).

:lol:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Don't feed the troll, bro.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

and a lot of us also work for Fortune 500s, or even 100s.

Fortune...10ish. :smug:

Elmnt80 posted:

Then you bought the wrong wagon. There's plenty others that don't have that terrible service option.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

From a couple of weeks ago.

I take issue with how SAAB arranges things:

You can't get to the lower ball joint easily without removing the axle. You can't remove the axle without really separating the lower ball joint.

The axle probably needs to be replaced.

Definitely now after using the SAAB approved driver side axle removal procedure:

This was possibly just an excuse to vent frustration after the "Dakota Lower Ball Joint Incident" and play with my new angle grinder...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Next time try jacking up the control arm and see if you can wedge something under the lip of the knuckle where the ball joint taper is, like a socket or something small. Let the arm back down and you can sometimes get them to pop out.

Your solution is pretty hilarious though. I want to see the guys face at autozone when you try to return your core.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Larrymer posted:

Your solution is pretty hilarious though. I want to see the guys face at autozone when you try to return your core.

You're best off weld the two halves back together (halfass it, of course), and put tape around it. That way it looks fine when you give it back... Not that I know anything about this.
I also frequently give the wrong parts back as cores, I'm a bad person.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Faulty washer fluid nozzle detected, $50 to replace (a fuckin' little nub of plastic + a rubber hose) without having to wait 2-infinity months for the $25 one on ebay.

A thing you should think about with these dealerships is that they need Nissans to fall apart in order to sell the parts that they do & it is ok to spend a little more on maintenance on a boring car just so you can have a clean windshield before the end of salt season.
People who are too tight with the spending of the money never get to that point where they are able to see. When you make $17.12 a hour at a TSX-listed company you can just do stuff like that. The wiper nozzle's wallowed out, runs like a cold nose, and isn't in great shape for its age. I understand that cheap, knockoff parts from China or Taiwan do just fine if they arrive. On another note, I do have a brother who likes to drive nice cars and isn't really handy sort of like A3th3r there. He does happen to work at a VW dealer, but he is ok with that. I guess I don't know what else to tell you but to just calm down a bit there & try to lighten up. It's just a Datsun.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 25, 2018

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Larrymer posted:

Next time try jacking up the control arm and see if you can wedge something under the lip of the knuckle where the ball joint taper is, like a socket or something small. Let the arm back down and you can sometimes get them to pop out.

I tried that way first, I couldn't get the knuckle to move off of the ball joint unfortunately. Plus I wanted to be kind of careful to not damage the ball joint's boot as I just replaced that lower control arm assembly recently.

If I had a bit more patience with it perhaps I could have made more progress :)
Unfortunately at that point I had run out of fucks to give.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The hammer trick for popping tapers loose woulda solved that in 30 seconds or so and felt just as good. Oh well, always next time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDsci-izhhc

Also why you gotta feed the troll, he was posting as an illiterate Subaru vapebro last time he came in here IIRC, which was also blatantly obvious trolling

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011
Probation
Fan of Britches
Swapped all the internal lights for LEDs. much brighter now.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

nadmonk posted:

I tried that way first, I couldn't get the knuckle to move off of the ball joint unfortunately. Plus I wanted to be kind of careful to not damage the ball joint's boot as I just replaced that lower control arm assembly recently.

If I had a bit more patience with it perhaps I could have made more progress :)
Unfortunately at that point I had run out of fucks to give.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-inch-forged-ball-joint-separator-99849.html

It actually works quite well when used correctly.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

kastein posted:

The hammer trick for popping tapers loose woulda solved that in 30 seconds or so and felt just as good. Oh well, always next time.

I've had mixed luck with this in the rust belt (MI). I have to beat the poo poo out of the knuckle to get them to pop more often then not. Luckily I haven't cracked a knuckle yet by beating on it (cast iron usually doesn't like this sort of treatment). For tie rods I'd rather just rent the tool (that never loving fits anyway :argh:) if you can. Ball joints it's usually too difficult to get the clearance to swing a hammer with all the other suspension poo poo/fender/bumper in the way since I'm not using a lift.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

That would have been fantastically wonderful to have. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

Also why you gotta feed the troll, he was posting as an illiterate Subaru vapebro last time he came in here IIRC, which was also blatantly obvious trolling

I wish that trick worked for me. I swung that loving hammer until my arm got tired and it wouldn't let go. Luckily, I didn't have an axle shaft in the way so I built a separator out of a nut, bolt, washers, and a socket.