Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

EminusSleepus posted:

Star Citizen Open Beta 3.0 is up guys!! with the new Drake Interplanetary Cutlass = the ship with unparalleled maneuverability

if I was an owner of a Cutlass I would be wanting my money back. This is so far beyond a missing seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Scruffpuff posted:

I much prefer her current smile - the one that resembles a velociraptor trying to suppress a recent indignity.

This is what it reminds me of immediately. Or possibly a photoshop of this image, but I can't find it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Could a t-rex grab Lesnick off a shitter?

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

over christmas someone itt mention ED was going for a fiver so i thought gently caress it why not.

jesus it's dull

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

If you want a fun game buy Genital Jousting.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Kilmers Elbow posted:

over christmas someone itt mention ED was going for a fiver so i thought gently caress it why not.

jesus it's dull

Imagine if you could walk around in ED, first-person, and the entire rest of the game stayed exactly as it is. Then try to convince yourself that the addition of FPS suddenly makes the game incredible and not boring at all. That is the Star Citizen promise.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Scruffpuff posted:

Imagine if you could walk around in ED, first-person, and the entire rest of the game stayed exactly as it is. Then try to convince yourself that the addition of FPS suddenly makes the game incredible and not boring at all. That is the Star Citizen promise.

I would unironically love that and am in fact waiting for ED to get there to buy back in. :colbert:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Loading your type 9 1 box at a time, by hand, would make Elite the savior of PC gaming.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
I have an opinion on this matter.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

big nipples big life posted:

Loading your type 9 1 box at a time, by hand, would make Elite the savior of PC gaming.

I don't think you understand the game concepts. Some other player is the one who loads your ship. You smoke a virtual-cig and chat to the npcs while you wait.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I thought he meant loading up a pistol, but then it dawned on me...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Scruffpuff posted:

Dare we dream?

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Time for Roberts to open a 6th studio.

That will require the creation of 3 shell companies and 2 plausible denial stories created by Crobs as to the reason why the value his porsche collection is now greater than the GDP of Ecuador.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Sandi reminds me of what happens when you mess around with the face generator sliders in Skyrim.

hey guys hey woah. Harassment. She might quit the internet again

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Colostomy Bag posted:

With some difficulty

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Colostomy Bag posted:

She wouldn't need to. She could just wait in the bushes watching a cup of water for the vibrations indicating Lesnick drawing closer.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Sandi reminds me of what happens when you mess around with the face generator sliders in Skyrim.

I've seen a lot of this in south OC, too much Botox combined with a soul draining meaningless life tends to create that look with alarming regularity.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Harsh but fair, but I still expect Bethesda's lawyers to contact you for that scathing and deeply insulting attack on their engine.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Maybe if it was trying to get some deliberate work-related injury that qualifies it for all kinds of strange compensation schemes.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

ED is a speeding up and slowing down simulator

And maybe i'm just a snob (i am a snob) but 'space combat' is hot garbage compared to regular flight simmy combat. You'd think that zero-g might introduce some interesting takes on dogfighting but I just don't see the appeal. Think I'd enjoy it a lot more if it was turn based.

And this is coming from somebody who loved Elite as a kid.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

peter gabriel posted:

Right, here's the thing and the thing that slam dunks Star Citizen soundly into the bargain bin - The flight model is done.
Chris believes the flight model should be this way, he's a loving wobbly turd at the best of times but when it comes to flight models he ascends into some kind of opposite god and he completely loses the plot.
He thinks you should pretty much point your chariot around space as if using a mouse, the guy is so stuck in the 90s he thinks this is something people want.
I'm calling it now, you'll eventually spawn your ships by scanning in a picture of your arse on a scsi flat bed scanner and shoot people by refilling a bubble jet printer.

Game will come on a collection of ZipDisks

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

Not true. It's Fallout 3 you are thinking of.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scruffpuff posted:

She wouldn't need to. She could just wait in the bushes watching a cup of water for the vibrations indicating Lesnick drawing closer.

"Object in mirror is heavier then it appears"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rubberduke posted:

Not true. It's Fallout 3 you are thinking of.

Yeah, you're right.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Kilmers Elbow posted:

And maybe i'm just a snob (i am a snob) but 'space combat' is hot garbage compared to regular flight simmy combat. You'd think that zero-g might introduce some interesting takes on dogfighting but I just don't see the appeal. Think I'd enjoy it a lot more if it was turn based.

And this is coming from somebody who loved Elite as a kid.

One thing that croberts seems to understand is that WWII is peak air combat but then, because he is an idiot, makes combat just floating turrets. ED is much closer to "WWII in space" than SC is but dogfights are still weak compared to IL2 '46.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Kilmers Elbow posted:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
What page do I have to go back to in order to find talk about the Skadden reply to FUKKS's response?

Also, I've now been called Derek Smart too for "exclusively making GBS threads on SC" in some EVE reject veteran forum :laffo:

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Did these people miss the memo that Turkey gave Crytek $500M to move their operations to Turkey?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
When is the next date that we will actually hear something relevant?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

Did these people miss the memo that Turkey gave Crytek $500M to move their operations to Turkey?

No. They just decided that it didn't actually happen based on.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

One thing that croberts seems to understand is that WWII is peak air combat but then, because he is an idiot, makes combat just floating turrets. ED is much closer to "WWII in space" than SC is but dogfights are still weak compared to IL2 '46.

Freespace 2 and I-War 2 are over 15 years old but both represent the pinnacles of the two 'ww2 in space' and 'newtonian-eque' combat models you can opt for in a space game.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Sickening posted:

Feb 9th

Ship balancing should be done by then.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

orcane posted:

What page do I have to go back to in order to find talk about the Skadden reply to FUKKS's response?

Also, I've now been called Derek Smart too for "exclusively making GBS threads on SC" in some EVE reject veteran forum :laffo:

Start here?

Sickening posted:

Start here?

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Alchenar posted:

Freespace 2 and I-War 2 are over 15 years old but both represent the pinnacles of the two 'ww2 in space' and 'newtonian-eque' combat models you can opt for in a space game.

Does having Flight Assist 'OFF' in ED make the experience any different to you flyboys?

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Bayonnefrog posted:

Hi Everyone,

You might like this. IRL I'm finance/accounting person. I have to keep up my license doing CPE credits every year. Doing one course now on corporate cash management and read this line:

"The forecast reveals a cash shortfall beginning in the third week, which will require a cumulative total of $129,000 of additional financing if the company wants to meet its scheduled payment obligations."

Was just intriguing to me how clear everyone becomes when you look at it in financial terms. Basically it's what CIG is doing every month with their jpegs sale or "tour our office dinner night." It's just marketing and spin to make you think it's just about the dinner or the jpeg. When you cut through the BS it just additional rounds of financing just to keep the lights on. Hilarious.

Bayonneferog

Several of us have run businesses, currently run businesses, or just have a lick of common sense saw this a couple years ago. What we were expecting was for there to be a sudden wall where they reach market saturation, but I think neglected to account for the fact there is a small but dedicated fan base that has the means to pump $30M - $35M per year into the project. And I've seen it with other F2P games that are still around thanks to a few hundred or few thousand dedicated fans that keep pumping money into the game years even after development has effectively stopped and the game is in maintenance mode. I think this will continue until we see another 2008 like economic downturn.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Anyway, haven’t played it much, but I do find it strangely satisfying and almost therapeutic. That, plus that fact that the game plus six pieces of DLC cost fourteen bucks, and it’s an actual game that exists which you can play nets it four out of five Parps.

It's very relaxing. I bought a wheel and pedals just because of that game, and I'm having to resist buying an 18-speed shifter. Get Promods for ETS2. I just finished truckin' around Iceland on winding dirt roads listening to doom metal, followed by a trip through Ireland and England where I almost killed dozens of people by turning onto the wrong side of the road. Driving trailers is far more interesting than space truckin'. ATS is fun too but it's a very different experience.

For Star Citizen fans ETS 2 also has local physics grids in multiplayer. Tons of lovely videos on youtube here's a random one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkBSutZ-G_A&t=20s.

I think WW2 air combat is just inherently more interesting than WW2-in-space. The way altitude/energy is stored and expended in combat is just completely removed from space. Positioning and altitude pre-engagement simply don't have any bearing on the fight, and the variety of maneuvers is completely obliterated. Even Elite doesn't really compare to any real WW2 sim. Of course most people don't find WW2 sims fun, so you get games like War Thunder (arcade) where it's basically WW2-in-space-but-with-terrain.

SoftNum posted:

what the gently caress coffee machines cost 90k

I don't even think the RSI monstrosity cost that? even like 3-4 holer expresso machines you're hardpressed to spend more than 30k on one?

I know it's just repetition, but I hate it that people on reddit are so divorced from the truth that they just say whatever the gently caress sounds good.

e: also Sandi looks like she has 8 fingers on each hand in that shot. can she do anythign naturally?

90k sounds like a lot for a single machine, but for a large office (or 5 offices...) that may not be unprecedented. At my last job we had rented one of these: http://www.healthyvending.com/machines/coffee-touch/. It made poo poo coffee/espresso/hot chocolate and broke down all the time, but people used it constantly. I can't find prices but their site says becoming a vendor is ~70k for 'a few' machines. Office equipment is crazy expensive.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Bayonnefrog posted:

"The forecast reveals a cash shortfall beginning in the third week, which will require a cumulative total of $129,000 of additional financing if the company wants to meet its scheduled payment obligations."

Was just intriguing to me how clear everyone becomes when you look at it in financial terms. Basically it's what CIG is doing every month with their jpegs sale or "tour our office dinner night." It's just marketing and spin to make you think it's just about the dinner or the jpeg. When you cut through the BS it just additional rounds of financing just to keep the lights on. Hilarious.

Is that quote from a textbook or have you found it anything CIG has produced? Or is it just the obvious interpretation/comparison of what they've been doing the last few years?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

There are so many vectors converging on that single point in time known as the Collapse of Star Citizen that it's nearly impossible to track them all, but here you touch on two of them:

1) The game is already boring, and it's already old. People are tired of Star Citizen. No matter what they try to add, it will be the same non-game generic garbage (non-game generic high-fidelity garbage to be sure) and the game is already doomed to the scrapheap, regardless of completion status. Just not enough people give a gently caress. I'd compare it to Second Life, a game so niche and so insular that I have to check Wikipedia every few years to find out if it's still a thing. Star Citizen is consigned to the same fate at best. There's just no remaining interest in this title outside of the people who are already enslaved by it.

2) Related to above, too many excellent, functional, infinitely superior space games for those players who might have been interested in what Star Citizen promised, if only Star Citizen hadn't simultaneously promised everything and nothing at the same time. "You can be a space farmer!" "Cool, how?" "Buy this module!" "How does it work?" "No idea. Buy it." Star Citizen would be poo poo if it existed in a vacuum - but in a crowded market, it's an industry-wide joke, poised to become an even better-known joke far outside the industry.

I can't possibly stress this enough, and the evidence backing this assertion is literally everywhere - in every CIG broadcast, in every fan stream, in every screenshot: Star Citizen is not a game in development. There is literally not even the basic starting building blocks of a game or a plan for a game. Star Citizen has nothing but graphical assets and motion capture. We're 6 years in and nobody on the planet, least of all at CIG, knows what this game is.

Utterly true.

The really truest best part of it though is that the thing everybody is playing now, the Star Citizen alpha MMO game, isn’t even an MMO game foundation. It’s a crippled drop-in/drop-out arena shooter that cant support the few concurrent players they are able to populate it with even now.

Star Citizen the MMO has not even begun development yet.

Wrap your mind around that. :allears:

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

You forgot the part where CIG/RSI/Croberts or someone will be able to block and ban all out of band communication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Nyast posted:

And he wouldn't be wrong, assuming you're talking about opening up the game to the general public and not the space-sim niche genre fans. Look at space maps in Battlefront 2. Pretty much everybody seems to be in agreement that the space flight model in that game is good and fun. And it's turn-instantly-where-your-mouse-is.

:frogout: