Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Melody96 group buy is up:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/7rjrnd/vendor_melody96_gb_from_ymdk_is_now_live/

https://imgur.com/a/SrWkK

Looks pretty good. You got the underglow option or the weighty plus brass weight option. The PCB supports QMK as well, which is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
So I bit the bullet and picked up a Topre Type Heaven for work. I basically work in a cubicle with a lot of numpad usage, so my Cherry Blue fullsize and tenkeyless browns were out of the question. Overall, I like the switches quite a bit, but I've come to realization that I probably would have been very, very disappointed with them at the TypeHeaven price (PBT caps or not). Still, they're quieter than the videos I could find on them seemed to imply. While I like it a decent amount, I feel like this is going to be my first and last Topre board.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

pgroce posted:

I’m getting these, just got the shipping notice. Really psyched after waiting this long. Amusingly, the kb I’m putting them on is a Whitefox from the Kickstarter, so I’ll have to wait even longer for that. :D I might put them on my Poker II while I wait, though.

yeah i got some sets too, i thought there would have been tons of delays since its a new mold

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

Kibibit posted:

So I bit the bullet and picked up a Topre Type Heaven for work. I basically work in a cubicle with a lot of numpad usage, so my Cherry Blue fullsize and tenkeyless browns were out of the question. Overall, I like the switches quite a bit, but I've come to realization that I probably would have been very, very disappointed with them at the TypeHeaven price (PBT caps or not). Still, they're quieter than the videos I could find on them seemed to imply. While I like it a decent amount, I feel like this is going to be my first and last Topre board.

Type heaven is really not a great intro to topre unfortunately. Proper boards with pbt and silenced are so good.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
I have a problem

My cat likes them too though

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Is your problem that you've got white caps on that K-Type?

Maybe I'm just biased. I really want to find a nice set of dark caps that I like that'll be accented nicely by the thousand suns they managed to hide inside that gorgeous block of aluminum.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Hmm, something Dolch or SA Chocolatier might work

eta: Someone's K-Type with Chocolatier https://imgur.com/a/0jenZ

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Oh boy, that looks horrible in a K-Type. Mental note to self, don’t put dark caps on a white board.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
The only thing I can find tolerable on my K-Type is DSA Granite. Really disliking the silver aluminium finish on this thing.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Hmm, this worries me a little. If USPS works correctly today, I should be getting a K-Type this afternoon. Guess I'll see if SA Godspeed looks ok. I do have a set of DSA Granite, but I was thinking of selling that

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
the stock keycaps are fine (good, even) and you can change the lighting scheme :shrug:

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
I got my norbauer case for novatouch in the mail today. I went to put my dolch keycaps back on them (cleaned them and shoved them in a box 2 months ago) only to find out my T keycap went missing.....

I guess I'm buying a new set

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

emdash posted:

the stock keycaps are fine (good, even) and you can change the lighting scheme :shrug:
Yeah, I bought it basically with the assumption I wouldn't be changing the caps.

I need to clean them though :smith:

Khorne
May 1, 2002
How do I fix keys from chattering? My W key repeats itself like 20 times every time I press it now. It didn't do it before. A key is also like this and R.

Also, what is the cheapest place to get keycaps that won't break after a year or two of use? I guess the keycaps that came with my cheap and garbage ducky that they cut every other possible corner on are still trucking 7 years later, but the leopold caps are straight trash. I need to order two sets of keycaps.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Got my K-Type today. In honor of my fourth keyboard purchase, I threw together a little collage

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
I guess my solution to the missing T key isn't that ugly looking...

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Chocolatier wouldn't be bad with lights that aren't YELLOW. That's just bad. I'm sure they're going for the Wonka golden ticket under the chocolate premise, but it looks super wrong.

I honestly kinda wish DSA Hana came in a "night" style. I dig the pink and purple, just not white. I'm running Tai-Hao Anemone on my Pok3r at work, and it's just the right amount of bright for me.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

G-Prime posted:

Chocolatier wouldn't be bad with lights that aren't YELLOW. That's just bad. I'm sure they're going for the Wonka golden ticket under the chocolate premise, but it looks super wrong.

I honestly kinda wish DSA Hana came in a "night" style. I dig the pink and purple, just not white. I'm running Tai-Hao Anemone on my Pok3r at work, and it's just the right amount of bright for me.

Yeah, I've had to mess around a lot with my k-type to get the gold colors just right. FFFF00 ends up looking a little more green than it should.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

You weren't kidding. Took me all afternoon to get the cream colors.
https://i.imgur.com/XnMMhEgl.jpg

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Went out and did it. I bought babby's first mechanical keyboard. Not made of money, I went for a Chinese something that goes around these parts as the Exibel GKX-M; you Americans may know it as the Azio MGK1. It's a budget thing with Kailh Brown switches and white backlighting (the Azio can apparently also be had with Kailh blues and RGB lighting).

I kinda like it. The reviews I've seen said that I should expect squeaking from the spacebar and other spanned keys due to a design fault with the stabilizers. We'll see how that goes.

I've always used whatever cheap membrane / rubbber dome keyboard my computers came with - the ubiquitous Dell or Logitech fare. Although I did grow up with an Olivetti ANK-27 and agree with Chyrosran22 that it must be one of the best rubber domes out there (probably the reason I still punch so hard when I type, too - and why I loved the Apple alu slab that came with my iMac in '06 - probably the closest to that in punchy feel)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgK__jiPg9M).

The switches? I dunno. I haven't typed on a proper mechanical keyboard since '98 - my work computer back then had a Model M (as did the original PS/2 that ran some chemical instrument interface software). Spoiled from the start... it is a wonderful keyboard. Anyway - the Kailh Browns feel OK, albeit a little "scratchy" on the bump. And even though browns are, I hear, supposed to be a "quiet" alternative to blues, this keyboard is SO LOUD compared to the 2-month old Logitech K-120 or whatever I bought when I upgraded my computer recently.

The most unusual thing is the key travel - my hands kind of slide along the keys and crash into the keycap wall instead of hitting it from the top. It takes a while getting used to having to lift my fingers more to type decently.

All in all, It's a good keyboard for $60 - it has plate mounted browns, a neutral-ish font (no Razer ultra-gamer fat monstrosity font) and a clean white backlight. It's down-to earth.

And just writing this post makes me more comfortable with typing on a mechanical again.

My next one will be a TKL with some sort of blue-like switch. I like the feel and sound of those but couldn't afford it right now... What is this that I have thrown myself into? I see Massdrops and drool. This will not end well.

e: A couple of hours of coding later, and I wonder why I didn't do this earlier. Even though it's cheap it's a whole other world from the crap membrane keyboards I've used the past twenty years. There was apparently a subconscious reason I followed this thread a few months ago :v:

e2; Oh god the short, hard flop-flop-flop of that Olivetti takes me back - I loved that thing.

e3: TL/DR; The Azio MGK-1 (or Exibel GKX-M) is an affordable, no-frills keyboard with plate-mounted Kailh Browns and plain white LED lighting. It's plastic, but the plate is aluminium which gives it a certain amount of weight - approximately as much as an Apple alu full-key slab. Light effects? You can choose to illuminate the key you press, which will linger for half a second, or just light up the WASD and numbers, or the entire keyboard. Low-key, which I like. There's also a mute button and a fantastically convenient scroll wheel for the volume above the numpad. The caps will probably show signs of wear in a few months, and the spacebar will start squeaking in a couple of weeks. Being Kailh browns the caps are of course replaceable. All keys are standard sizes EXCEPT FOR THE SPACE BAR - there are a number of forum posts describing this annoying issue. I don't care - this will be a workhorse until I can start travelling through the black hole that is a custom mechanical keyboard.

F4rt5 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 25, 2018

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'm in the middle of a project to resurrect my first computer, an IBM PS/1 from I think 1991. I recall it having a fairly clacky keyboard that my little brother and I unfortunately destroyed many years ago.

My memory of its appearance is most like the Model M2, and the fixed cable agrees with this, but when we destroyed it I recall it being really durable which it seems like the M2s were cheaped out so I'm not sure if this fits.

Anyone else have an idea what would have shipped with a US-market 25 MHz 486 PS/1 "Consultant" in the Windows 3.1 era?

On a related note do USB to PS/2 adapters exist anymore? I recall seeing a few of them back in the early days of USB input when KVM switches were almost exclusively PS/2 only, but I can't find any anymore. Lots of those stupid little adapters that a lot of mice supported back then and lots of PS/2 to USB adapters, but nothing that'll take a straight USB keyboard/mouse combo with no PS/2 support and make it works on a PS/2 computer. I have literally no PS/2 keyboards left because aside from this old IBM I don't think I even own a computer with a PS/2 port anymore.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

There's this on Newegg
https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16812196223

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yeah that's the "stupid little adapter" from mice I referred to, that requires that the device actually be capable of speaking PS/2. It's just a dumb connector changer, there's no actual circuitry inside that thing which is why it's so cheap.

I don't believe any of my mice are old enough to support that kind of a thing, and I don't think any keyboards ever did. The last mouse I had that shipped with one was my original Intellimouse Optical.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

Yeah that's the "stupid little adapter" from mice I referred to, that requires that the device actually be capable of speaking PS/2. It's just a dumb connector changer, there's no actual circuitry inside that thing which is why it's so cheap.

I don't believe any of my mice are old enough to support that kind of a thing, and I don't think any keyboards ever did. The last mouse I had that shipped with one was my original Intellimouse Optical.

my brand new wasd keyboard has a lil purple dongle to use for ps2 nkro

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

shovelbum posted:

my brand new wasd keyboard has a lil purple dongle to use for ps2 nkro

Huh, learn something new every day. I've never seen one for a keyboard.

I'm hoping that's there for the subset who buy these keyboards to use on their collection of old computers, and not that an enthusiast keyboard somehow doesn't get USB NKRO right.

I know a lot of early USB keyboards only implemented the bare minimum HID keyboard spec with 6KRO+modifiers, but that hasn't been an issue even on mainstream gaming keyboards for years so I'd assume enthusiast keyboards are long past that problem.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

wolrah posted:

Huh, learn something new every day. I've never seen one for a keyboard.

I'm hoping that's there for the subset who buy these keyboards to use on their collection of old computers, and not that an enthusiast keyboard somehow doesn't get USB NKRO right.

I know a lot of early USB keyboards only implemented the bare minimum HID keyboard spec with 6KRO+modifiers, but that hasn't been an issue even on mainstream gaming keyboards for years so I'd assume enthusiast keyboards are long past that problem.

I think it depends on the keyboard. My CM Storm quickfires from 2013/2014 didn't have NKRO for USB, that's been a more recent addition to a lot of designs. I don't think I saw it on anything until after Soarer figured it out for his converter boards (which was in the same time period). I always kind of wondered if he vanished from geekhack due to someone buying his designs but allowing him to keep the open source stuff out there as long as he never updated it again or something.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

wolrah posted:

You'd be surprised, I think 6KRO is still pretty common. Not that it's an issue with gaming anyway, unless you're playing Beatmania or some poo poo, but even still.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Constellation I posted:

You'd be surprised, I think 6KRO is still pretty common. Not that it's an issue with gaming anyway, unless you're playing Beatmania or some poo poo, but even still.

Yeah wasd is 6KRO or PS2 NKRO

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

It's happening again!

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/capatoa-keycap-explosion?mode=guest_open

Set your calendars to be deeply disappointed and frustrated on January 26

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It's happening again!

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/capatoa-keycap-explosion?mode=guest_open

Set your calendars to be deeply disappointed and frustrated on January 26

The amount of expensive keycap sets in ABS already has me disappointed.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Would have been funny if they ran laser again and those people got their caps before the original customers :laugh:

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

That's how I got Godspeed before people in the original group buy! :v:

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Should I get a 4th planck? I feel like I should get a 4th planck.

I'll get a hipro one with a brass plate when that becomes a thing

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
I don't need to set my calendar to be disappointed, I already am. Looks like all of those are ABS, not PBT, and there are very few I'm even remotely interested in.

Edit: Wow, I didn't even see that somebody said basically the same thing. Go me. I think I'm just going to take a little time to design a Hana dark colorway to try to make myself feel better.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Don't sleep on the Canvas ones if you want a nice flat profile with a subtle look, also they are in PBT you screaming jessies.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
I think I'm going to build an Iris soon:

https://keeb.io/collections/keyboard-pcbs/products/iris-keyboard-split-ergonomic-keyboard?variant=2650673709086

I will however not have cool Space Cadet keycaps because the Round 7 GB is on hold :argh:
So I ordered some SA ortholinear caps from Signature Plastics to hold me over. I haven't used SA caps before, I've heard they tend to wobble on the stems. Is it much of a wobble? My current keyboard uses Alps switches, does anyone know how it would be compared to that?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

This is probably the only artisan keycap I will ever want.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/jelly-key-blue-little-dot-enter-key-artisan-keycaps?mode=guest_open

Jelly Key has made a lot of other artisans I find actually aesthetically pleasing, too. Not sure if any other maker has impressed me. For example, what's so great about the Fugu series? More like Fugly

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

This is probably the only artisan keycap I will ever want.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/jelly-key-blue-little-dot-enter-key-artisan-keycaps?mode=guest_open

Jelly Key has made a lot of other artisans I find actually aesthetically pleasing, too. Not sure if any other maker has impressed me. For example, what's so great about the Fugu series? More like Fugly

Fuckkkk that's perfect.
Also, the enter key doesn't get enough love.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, thinking the periwinkle/yellow would be best for my Godspeed caps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Over $100 for a keycap (Canada) when all is said and done.

Lol.