Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

no_recall posted:

Lets all wait for discovery.

About that. Around the same time that the Skadden case dropped, I ran the Benford numbers on the funding tracker. Benford numbers are the phenomenon of any series of natural numbers _beginning with_ a particular digit occur within a very specific probability, so they use it to find out if number sequences are bs or not.

Obviously I'm just a dweebie that gets paid to push bits around, but this has been bugging me for a while.

Blue bars are the funding tracker. Red is the Fibonacci sequence for calibration. Theory being that any large stack of numbers will have a number beginning with '1', 30% of the time.

I don't think the funding tracker is kosher, personally. It raises some interesting questions around using data to justify *ahem* donations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benford%27s_law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

SoftNum posted:

You forgot the part where CIG/RSI/Croberts or someone will be able to block and ban all out of band communication.

I like to imagine that a 'developer' sits behind you and unplugs your mic if you try to use Discord.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

peter gabriel posted:

Are you saying the flight model in Star Citizen is good?

I think he's saying he hates flight sims unless they've been reduced shooter controls like every lovely space sim does since Freelancer killed the genre

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Tippis posted:

No. They just decided that it didn't actually happen based on.

Well, it's not like Turkey is effectively a dictatorship where huge pots of money are given out on a whim to anyone the inner circle thinks might help the economy and prop up the regime.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Hav posted:

About that. Around the same time that the Skadden case dropped, I ran the Benford numbers on the funding tracker. Benford numbers are the phenomenon of any series of natural numbers _beginning with_ a particular digit occur within a very specific probability, so they use it to find out if number sequences are bs or not.

Obviously I'm just a dweebie that gets paid to push bits around, but this has been bugging me for a while.

Blue bars are the funding tracker. Red is the Fibonacci sequence for calibration. Theory being that any large stack of numbers will have a number beginning with '1', 30% of the time.

I don't think the funding tracker is kosher, personally. It raises some interesting questions around using data to justify *ahem* donations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benford%27s_law

Do chi-square next. :D

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Thoatse posted:

I think he's saying he hates flight sims unless they've been reduced shooter controls like every lovely space sim does since Freelancer killed the genre

Ouch. But you're right. I just had a thought: What if Croberts hadn't been kicked off the Freelancer project and it was just never released because not enough pixels were green before they ran out of money? Does that mean he could have saved the genre by being extra lovely?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Thoatse posted:

Freelancer flies like War Thunder arcade. What I'm saying is that Elite isn't for casuals that like to 'fly' their planes, and is best left to dedicated and more patient space truckers.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Well, it's not like Turkey is effectively a dictatorship where huge pots of money are given out on a whim to anyone the inner circle thinks might help the economy and prop up the regime.

Cryptocurrency is the new best way to launder money. Oh, look....

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Ouch. But you're right. I just had a thought: What if Croberts hadn't been kicked off the Freelancer project and it was just never released because not enough pixels were green before they ran out of money? Does that mean he could have saved the genre by being extra lovely?

Here's the full list of things Chris can save:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Dooguk posted:

Does having Flight Assist 'OFF' in ED make the experience any different to you flyboys?
It's incredibly difficult and mastering it as a skill is a pretty rewarding experience, but it gives you no in game advantage and doesn't make your imaginary numbers go up faster so almost no one does it.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

tooterfish posted:

It's incredibly difficult and mastering it as a skill is a pretty rewarding experience, but it gives you no in game advantage and doesn't make your imaginary numbers go up faster so almost no one does it.

Thanks for the answer. Just one more thing. (Columbo)

Does it feel less like WW2 dog fighting in this mode?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

Several of us have run businesses, currently run businesses, or just have a lick of common sense saw this a couple years ago. What we were expecting was for there to be a sudden wall where they reach market saturation, but I think neglected to account for the fact there is a small but dedicated fan base that has the means to pump $30M - $35M per year into the project. And I've seen it with other F2P games that are still around thanks to a few hundred or few thousand dedicated fans that keep pumping money into the game years even after development has effectively stopped and the game is in maintenance mode. I think this will continue until we see another 2008 like economic downturn.

I'd love to see this - Star Citizen to turn into a leprous splotch on the internet's underside, just wheezing and gasping along year after year, offering poo poo-tier non-gameplay to the internet's worst denizens. "I'M HAVING FUN MORE THAN I EVER HAVE" spouts Batgirl and Lethality until the end of time in a space-based voluntary internet quarantine zone.

I wonder what would cut Chris' ego more - SC's outright cessation of existence, or SC's inevitable destiny as complete poo poo coming to fulfillment.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Revisiting the run-up to 3.0's launch, there is just so much bullcrap in the public record. Some good transcript potential here and there.

YOUTUBE: Live from the Gamescom Showfloor, Day 2

Erin Roberts gets asked about the depth of subsumption in 3.0 - Myre from Fortnightly Frontier poses a theoretical about his Bounty Hunter mission to assassinate a bad NPC who might be on a day night schedule of activity. Will NPCs be persistent? Or will they spawn to missions? Erin gives his "so on and so forth" as the handwavium begins.

Deejay goes further with questions about NPC assassination missions. (Drop a box on their head, DJ, that's the preferred kill.) If he kills an NPC, will another shopkeeper come along and replace the deceased? Basically, yes "and so on and so forth" involving sheriffs and wild west towns and serious marines that will take you down for your crimes.

Erin Roberts says Mining will be the first thing they go for after 3.0.

Erin Roberts says players will be able to buy ships with aUEC in 3.0, er, 3.1 - Watch Lando nodding after Erin explains you'll be able to buy ships with aUEC in 3.0. Then Erin and Lando both back off the claim with Lando making it explicitly clear that you will NOT be able to buy 3.0 with aUEC. (:tinfoil: Voice in headset - "No no no we're not making ships purchasable with credit in 3.0 guys!")

Classic.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 25, 2018

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Dooguk posted:

Thanks for the answer. Just one more thing. (Columbo)

Does it feel less like WW2 dog fighting in this mode?

pitch rate is still governed by your throttle being in the blue so you aren't doing BSG poo poo and flipping over and shooting while flying backwards.

e: I mean you can do this with it off but it still takes about the same amount of time to bring you nose around as it does with FA on.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

AbsoluteLlama posted:

90k sounds like a lot for a single machine, but for a large office (or 5 offices...) that may not be unprecedented.

LA is not a large office. Even if the half the builing space taken for filming their weekly shows and the quarter of building space taken for meeting/lunch/reception was filled with cubicles it would still be a small office.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

big nipples big life posted:

pitch rate is still governed by your throttle being in the blue so you aren't doing BSG poo poo and flipping over and shooting while flying backwards.

e: I mean you can do this with it off but it still takes about the same amount of time to bring you nose around as it does with FA on.

This has always bugged me about FA Off. Why the gently caress is my pitch and roll geared to throttle? Surely the 'assist' is to smooth out the flight and give you 'ski-jump' approximation of where you need to be, and FA Off is balls out manual controls.

Braben!

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

AbsoluteLlama posted:

I think WW2 air combat is just inherently more interesting than WW2-in-space. The way altitude/energy is stored and expended in combat is just completely removed from space. Positioning and altitude pre-engagement simply don't have any bearing on the fight, and the variety of maneuvers is completely obliterated. Even Elite doesn't really compare to any real WW2 sim. Of course most people don't find WW2 sims fun, so you get games like War Thunder (arcade) where it's basically WW2-in-space-but-with-terrain.

Even something as fundamental as best corner speed you need to constantly work at it because all manner of variables (altitude, weight, configuration etc) are having an effect. In ED you push the throttle into a green bit on the HUD and forget about it. I know space and atmosphere are very different beasts to zoom about in but still.

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Of course most people don't find WW2 sims fun

We don't talk about those people.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Lladre posted:

LA is not a large office. Even if the half the builing space taken for filming their weekly shows and the quarter of building space taken for meeting/lunch/reception was filled with cubicles it would still be a small office.

Agreed. The only reason CIG has that coffee machine is to mimic successful companies, without all the flipside of that mimicry such as producing a game, producing anything at all, or understanding a single aspect of the industry.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You're still using the same flight model fundamentally yeah, but it does feel quite different flying with FA off all the time (as opposed to doing the optimal thing and using it situationally to boost turn).

Hav posted:

This has always bugged me about FA Off. Why the gently caress is my pitch and roll geared to throttle?
It isn't though. It's geared to your speed!

A subtle distinction in FA on, not that subtle in FA off.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 25, 2018

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hav posted:

Most of their sales are 45, 50 and 65 dollar items so sequencing it may not be as telling as conspiracy theorists will have you on about.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Scruffpuff posted:

I wonder what would cut Chris' ego more - SC's outright cessation of existence, or SC's inevitable destiny as complete poo poo coming to fulfillment.

So long as Star Citizen exists Chris will believe everything is great. When Star Citizen dies Chris will believe it's not his fault. Chris is pathologically incapable of seeing that he's a total gently caress-up who has become the punchline of an entire industry.

Legal
Jan 23, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So long as Star Citizen exists Chris will believe everything is great. When Star Citizen dies Chris will believe it's not his fault. Chris is pathologically incapable of seeing that he's a total gently caress-up who has become the punchline of an entire industry.

Maybe he doesn't see it because it doesn't exist and is pretty successful?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Quavers' Snacksized Review: Why Sleeping Dogs is better than Star Citizen
  1. SD is a third-person action game.
    SC is not a game.
  2. SD released, had updates, and a definitive edition.
    SC is gonna get CryRekt.
  3. SD happily plays at 60FPS on High settings with my RX570 and lovely Phenom II.
    SC, well... :lol:
  4. SD's controls are easy to pickup and learn.
    SC's controls have a steep learning curve, and can annoying change between patches.
  5. SD detected my controller straight away.
    SC needs manual controller binding.
  6. SD had a starter-mission bug with my controller, so I quickly swapped to KB+M and carried on.
    SC needs yet more manual KB+M binding.
  7. SD's graphics are good, with defined and recognisable characters and a variety of colourful, atmospheric environments.
    SC's graphics are spectacularly detailed but they're either black or grey or brown, and very bland.
  8. SD's motion captured movement is fluid throughout player actions.
    SC is just janky.
  9. SD has smooth transitions between story cutscenes and gameplay, which all helps the interesting story play out.
    SC doesn't have any story so is uninteresting.
  10. SD's made-up language "Mandarin" is fully voiced with a striking subtitled charset, and feels like a real form of communication.
    SC supposedly has made-up languages: they look and sound like bollocks, yet aren't even in the game.
  11. SD has East-Asian looking characters with ninja-like skills.
    SC oddly has turtle-looking East Asians with no ninja skills, but they aren't in the game anyway.
  12. SD's melee combat is quick, with an easy-to-learn variety of unlockable attacks, counters, combos, and some use the environmental to dramatic effect.
    SC has a broken melee attack.
  13. SD has you playing an undercover cop whose sister was killed, and you're in a Police-authorised war against gang lords..
    SC spawns random, faceless, janky pirate space ships.
  14. Your SD character is a fighting badass, but he may or may not be a dick.
    SC has zero character depth.
  15. SD's first boss-like baddie brags that years ago, your now-dead sister gave him his first blowjob.
    SC doesn't have any proper baddies, let alone bosses, nor creepy sex stories from any timeframe, but its fans want STDs and furries.
  16. SD's combat has you regularly taking on 4-8 enemies simultaneously, and nicely balances exciting, challenging and rewarding.
    SC's combat is usually against 1-2 enemies, drearily plodding, and feels like luck gives you the win, not skill.
  17. SD has gender equality.
    SC is a penis party for middle-aged incels.
  18. SD's free-roaming areas have dozens of unique NPCs going about their day, chatting, playing, sometimes bickering.
    SC has a few broken NPCs that walk into/through walls or float in the air.
  19. SD allows you to hand in missions to NPCs while covered in blood, cos your gang rules the area - absolute badasses.
    SC's missions have you carrying boxes from brown world to grey station, and if your game doesn't crash the mission NPC ignores you.
My screenshot, titled "Subsumption! Atmosphere! Immersion! A living universe!"

To be continued when I've had more time to play, sorry...

Legal
Jan 23, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Good news for SQ42 today calling it now.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Lladre posted:

It is a large office. It is even a very large office ; the largest. It can contain Ben.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Last night I unlocked Archwing missions in Warframe. It's basically a jetpack you strap your robot ninja into, complete with a chaingun and sword, and you rocket around space at high speed shooting and chopping up drones and ships. It's also significantly faster and more interesting than anything Star Citizen has ever produced.

Pretty sad when you think that a mission type that was patched into a F2P action game is better than anything SC is ever going to produce.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

I did not say I liked SC's flight model. I said carebears liked more simplistic/arcadish ones, like in BF2. Are you saying that's wrong ?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Even BSG's combat doesn't make sense because the moment you move your Viper in any direction you'd be instagibbed into a fine red paste

Either you make a game where space combat follows physics and thus is like Children Of A Dead Earth or you go full on-rails magic like Star Wars.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Thoatse posted:

Brings back all the memories old friend

E: battlefront 2 space combat is good and fun for an arcade environment. About on point with war thunder for me which I thoroughly enjoy with mouse.

The trick is not to mix them up with actual flight simulations

A 20 minute flight in IL2 BOS which I consider the absolute pinnacle of good combat flight simulations is more intense than 2 hours of War thunder even if you don't shoot a single round in IL2. But it requires miniscule preparation, coordination, full attention and an occasional prayer to the gods of flight. Whereas in Warthunder I can blast some classic metal while enjoying a visually appealing action game with somewhat historic balanced and referenced planes

E2: IL2 is going to introduce extensive Panzer mechanics this year including multicrew tanks. I'm rubbing intensely to their previews and designs especially since it's a dev studio you can trust to actually do a good job.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 25, 2018

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Tortolia posted:

Last night I unlocked Archwing missions in Warframe. It's basically a jetpack you strap your robot ninja into, complete with a chaingun and sword, and you rocket around space at high speed shooting and chopping up drones and ships. It's also significantly faster and more interesting than anything Star Citizen has ever produced.

Pretty sad when you think that a mission type that was patched into a F2P action game is better than anything SC is ever going to produce.
I don't know why thousands of new people are playing Warframe, including myself, but it's cool and good and I've spent way too much money on it already

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

Beyond the obvious effects, flight assist off actually does increase your turn rate. It also gives your lateral thrusters more power, increases your acceleration speed and decreases your deceleration speed. Also boosting gives you "blue zone" turning speed so a boosted FA Off turn is the fastest way to do it, it's worth learning to toggle FA Off when turning at least

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Even WW2 dogfighting in space isn't WW2 dogfighting

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

G0RF posted:

Some good transcript potential here and there.

Noted

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Phi230 posted:

Either you make a game where space combat follows physics and thus is like Children Of A Dead Earth or you go full on-rails magic like Star Wars.

Frontier did this; went 'full Newtonian' with combat. Big mistake. It was terrible.

Made worse by 10fps on the Amiga a dogfight consisted of two ships charging at each other and once in range attempting to land one or two hits before zooming past each other miles out of range, turning around and repeating the process for what felt like days. Newtonian jousting basically; not fun at all.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Tippis posted:

Is that quote from a textbook or have you found it anything CIG has produced? Or is it just the obvious interpretation/comparison of what they've been doing the last few years?

just a quote from the coursework but seemed like word for word exactly what a CIG CFO/cash manager person is thinking each week lol

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Bayonnefrog posted:

just a quote from the coursework but seemed like word for word exactly what a CIG CFO/cash manager person is thinking each week lol

sometimes Star Citizen just sets off so many red flags that would be picked up on by people that know what they are doing but the Citizens just breeze on by them. Check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LTtr45y7P0

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lladre posted:

Most of their sales are 45, 50 and 65 dollar items so sequencing it may not be as telling as conspiracy theorists will have you on about.

I'm actually kinda wary of skew, so I'm going to do some subset analysis and have a look at chi-squared, even though it means crossing a line I drew for myself 20 years ago.

Statistics, man. Not even once.

Legal posted:

Good news for SQ42 today calling it now.

Forecast for tomorrow?

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Frontier did this; went 'full Newtonian' with combat. Big mistake. It was terrible.

Made worse by 10fps on the Amiga a dogfight consisted of two ships charging at each other and once in range attempting to land one or two hits before zooming past each other miles out of range, turning around and repeating the process for what felt like days. Newtonian jousting basically; not fun at all.

The trick was to turn your engines off and use the thrusters to engage once you both met at the same relative frame; or you could buy an imperial courier, load up 50 shield generators and decorate your hull with the finely ground bodies of your victims.

I cheesed it after getting jumped by one too many krait gangs.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Nyast posted:

I did not say I liked SC's flight model. I said carebears liked more simplistic/arcadish ones, like in BF2. Are you saying that's wrong ?

Not at all, you're right on the money and it makes me a bitter grognard. This hits to the core of why I want to punch Star Citizen in the throat -it was exclusively supposed to not be another one of these generic pieces of poo poo for the unwashed masses and that is 100% the flag crobbler and co wrapped themselves in that got this project off the launchpad in the first place. 'dust off ur joyticks' 'no guns follow the ship' 'no freelancer controls' 'no point and click', 'controls agnostic!' and such were all actual answers given in official capacity to early worriers with enough foresight on the subject to ask specific questions to suss out this issue.

Around the 50-60 million dollar mark though they threw out all that 'niche game to revive a niche genre' talk and entered the 'too big to fail' territory and started selling mutually exclusive ~dreamz~ to the much wider/generic FPS crowd once sim whales were running out of milk. They have maintained the illusion they will one day make that flight sim (just wait till beta!) they sold to the delusionals still hanging on, all the while cementing everything in place that will prevent that from ever happening just like they did with VR.

As far as I can see, it's literally the biggest bait and switch in the history of making games, at least to my autistic brain

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Phi230 posted:

Either you make a game where space combat follows physics and thus is like Children Of A Dead Earth
'And then we waited for two months to get the optimal firing vector, launched our drones, waited thee days for them to get there, waited a few hours to see the results, and then, on the way back, our idiot navigator hosed up, we ran out of deltaV and had to divert to a Lagrange point where we waited for a tanker for half a year.'

Also, Omitrend's Rules of Engagement were really obtuse space tactical games where orders and reports travelled at the speed of light.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Dooguk posted:

Does having Flight Assist 'OFF' in ED make the experience any different to you flyboys?

FA off on a 2d monitor is a handful but in VR is actually quite manageable and a lot of fun, likely due to the myriad of visual cues you get from being able to rely on parallax like irl... love my virtual space helicopter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Thoatse posted:

As far as I can see, it's literally the biggest bait and switch in the history of making games, at least to my autistic brain

X:Rebirth comes close. No Mans Sky, but that was a lot of signal-boosting to fill in the blanks. Brutal Legend is a classic example.