Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Bought on the Microsoft store, got the "too early" thing. Canceled and bought on Amazon, still no preorder code. God doesn't want me playing this game I guess. Trying to hassle Amazon into giving me a code and/or canceling my order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

ten_twentyfour posted:

Bought on the Microsoft store, got the "too early" thing. Canceled and bought on Amazon, still no preorder code. God doesn't want me playing this game I guess. Trying to hassle Amazon into giving me a code and/or canceling my order.

Have you tried this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Seaofthieves/comments/7sx9gh/fix_youre_too_early_message/

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

ten_twentyfour posted:

:same: on Amazon.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

I have to get my amazon order canceled first before I try going through the microsoft store again.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've been watching some streams of this, and while it does look like a really fun game to play with friends, is there really not more non-PvP content than going on short treasure hunts, and fighting against a single type of enemy (skeletons)?
I'd love to pick this up, but I think I'm going to have to keep an eye on development forward to release, because as it stands, I really don't think the amount of content justifies the price.

God drat if the game isn't pretty though. The ocean is just delightful to look at.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Broken Cog posted:

I've been watching some streams of this, and while it does look like a really fun game to play with friends, is there really not more non-PvP content than going on short treasure hunts, and fighting against a single type of enemy (skeletons)?
I'd love to pick this up, but I think I'm going to have to keep an eye on development forward to release, because as it stands, I really don't think the amount of content justifies the price.

God drat if the game isn't pretty though. The ocean is just delightful to look at.

We have no way to know for sure what will be in release, but we know the beta running right now has even fewer features than the alpha. Rare also says they have intentionally left some features unannounced because they want there to be surprises or something.

I think they do need to announce more of what will be in the full game soon. A lot of people are worried there won't be enough content at release.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Broken Cog posted:

Have skeletons really been the only NPC enemy they've shown? I haven't kept up with development but I've always been excited for this because I like the art and gently caress yeah, co-op piracy with friends. But at $60 I'm wondering how much content there actually is, I really don't want to pre-order this now and end up hosed by release.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

ten_twentyfour posted:

I have to get my amazon order canceled first before I try going through the microsoft store again.

Just got a reply from Amazon, I guess they're having some sort of glitch with the beta codes and are working on it, so hopefully with be fixed in time for the weekend. :yarr:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If I buy this digitally, can someone play with me on my Xbox One, while I play on PC? This would naturally be on the same account, so i'm leaning towards no?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Finally got Mircosoft to take my money. How do I find the beta key to redeem in the store on PC?

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
The best way is to search the microsoft store app for sea of thieves closed beta, or launch the xbox insider hub app and launch it from there.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Complained to Amazon and said if they can't gimme the pre-order code to just cancel the order. They said the same thing about their code system being bugged and canceled my order. I'll re-order off the Microsoft store when I get home.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Popete posted:

Finally got Mircosoft to take my money. How do I find the beta key to redeem in the store on PC?

You don’t. It’s broken.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
loving stupid bullshit game.

Anyway the correct thing to do is download the Xbox Insider Hub app from the store. Then enroll in the beta from there.

Then download the Sea of Thieves beta from the MS store. Just search for it.

Then after that you try and play the game and it won’t work.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Popete posted:

It's needlessly complex because Microsoft just has to use their poo poo. The way it worked for my roommate: Preorder the game, download the Xbox Insider Hub app, sign into that, click Insider Content (I think that's the name of the tab on the left), then you'll see a Sea of Thieves entry on the screen that comes up. Click on that, and it should allow you to click through back to the Microsoft Store app and download the beta client.

e: beaten like a redheaded stepchild.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:rolleyes:

If it wasn't dumb enough they made this a Windows 10 only game. I was hoping I could just download a client and not have to signup for some Xbox app I'll never use outside this game.

Microsoft stop being dumb and just integrate with Steam.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, it's really bad and inviting people and managing friends and all that is equally as bad. If When this game flops it will be because they're forcing the Windows Store.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Regarding content, this is probably the best overview of the planned content at launch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB9hJNfMa5M

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Popete posted:

Microsoft stop being dumb and just integrate with Steam.
It's a mess, but part of Microsoft's reasoning for doing it through their store is their initiative that if you buy first party games on either PC or Xbox, you get both versions.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Multiplayer with xbox people will probably also help with playercount?

Anyway, I'm super interested in this, but microsoft store is telling me it's 7200 yen (I'm from europe) so I'm not sure what the gently caress. Guess not today :v:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Beta will be extended

https://twitter.com/seaofthieves/status/956607355688452096

Ehud fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 25, 2018

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ehud posted:

Regarding content, this is probably the best overview of the planned content at launch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB9hJNfMa5M

Hmm... seems like most of the content is just fetch quests which is disconcerting, I feel like that poo poo would get old quickly. This dude's putting a lot of emphasis on earning "titles" and "achievements" and decking your dude out how you want to, but what's the point if there isn't much to do.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

s.i.r.e. posted:

Hmm... seems like most of the content is just fetch quests which is disconcerting, I feel like that poo poo would get old quickly. This dude's putting a lot of emphasis on earning "titles" and "achievements" and decking your dude out how you want to, but what's the point if there isn't much to do.

Yeah, that video was good to see and they seem like they're adding a bit, but if that's what they're banking on... there's a lot more needed.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, it seems like they're leaning heavily on ~*emergent gameplay*~ to make the fetch quests interesting, rather than character or item progression.

On the one hand, as someone who can't/doesn't want to grind for loot all day, the level playing field is attractive. But on the other hand, I'm not sure how long that's going to stay interesting.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 25, 2018

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watched some streams, I actually felt bored after about 3 minutes of watching the stream. I'd like to see more of the dynamic pvp content but what I saw looked real grindy and eh...

Is this going to be good?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

soy posted:

Watched some streams, I actually felt bored after about 3 minutes of watching the stream. I'd like to see more of the dynamic pvp content but what I saw looked real grindy and eh...

"Grindy?" I have no idea how that term could be applied to the game as-is.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Speaking from my experience last night, I had a lot of fun even with the fetch quests because they're done differently than most games. It is way more engaging to be given a map, you chart a course to get to the island, work with your buddies to sail the ship to your destination, solve a riddle to figure it where to dig, get the chest back on your ship, etc.

I feel like most games would mark a direction on your mini map and tell you right where to go. I had a lot of fun trying to figure things out with my crew.

But I don't disagree with your larger point. Fetch quests and cosmetics will not be enough to keep the game afloat.

Watch them pivot and do pirate battle royale lol.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They need to add some sort of fort system. An upgrade able home port that provides players a place to store loot and provides bonuses for hanging out at.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

soy posted:

What did you feel was grindy? :confused:

It's like the exact opposite of a grindy game. There are no levels or skills or equipment other than cosmetics and consumables

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Popete posted:

They need to add some sort of fort system. An upgrade able home port that provides players a place to store loot and provides bonuses for hanging out at.

I agree with this.

I also want to see larger ports where you can hang out and play pirate games like the mini games in AssCreed Black Flag.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

squidgee posted:

On the one hand, as someone who can't/doesn't want to grind for loot all day, the level playing field is attractive.

I really like that, I'm glad that there's no way for players to be super strong where new players can't do poo poo about it. It's super refreshing that weapons are basic and it's up to the player to utilize them rather than rely on dice rolls and stats to do all of the work.

Ehud posted:

Speaking from my experience last night, I had a lot of fun even with the fetch quests because they're done differently than most games. It is way more engaging to be given a map, you chart a course to get to the island, work with your buddies to sail the ship to your destination, solve a riddle to figure it where to dig, get the chest back on your ship, etc.

I feel like most games would mark a direction on your mini map and tell you right where to go. I had a lot of fun trying to figure things out with my crew.

But I don't disagree with your larger point. Fetch quests and cosmetics will not be enough to keep the game afloat.

Watch them pivot and do pirate battle royale lol.

I'm glad that the fetch quests aren't just "go here, pick up 10 mushrooms, deliver" and that there's interactions you do with your friends during the interim. My biggest draw to this playing with my usual group of friends and having a blast being pirates, I just don't know how different they can make things with the little they've shown. I'm super keen on the "solve a puzzle" islands more than just the fight x amount of skeleton ones.

Will there be Krakens, other sea monsters, ghost ships? Are there NPC civilian ships to raid? Are there pirate (or otherwise) NPC ships that'll chase players down? Like, there's a lot of scenarios they could just lift from the Pirates of the Caribbean films and it would be pretty good. I'd love to see everything that they're planning, and I hope it's just small variations of whatever the game is shipping with.

For those that have played, how big is the map and is it limited in the beta?

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
They have said that NPCs, sea creatures, and crap like that isn't in the beta to play the 'not showing all our cards' thing. They've also said the playable area is also not the full map, but a section of it. I'm hoping that's true, but again, I'm still having a blast with it and have only been to a very small handful of islands so far.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ehud posted:

What did you feel was grindy? :confused:

It's like the exact opposite of a grindy game. There are no levels or skills or equipment other than cosmetics and consumables

You do the exact same thing over and over and over, that's kind of grindy.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The map feels huge and there's way more islands than what you can see on the map

It's probably hard to see in the streams but there's a lot more to it than aiming your ship towards an island. You've got to have a guy in your squad autistic enough to be on sail duty to get you there quickly and it's also good not to straight line things because storms will gently caress up your course hard

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

automaticswim posted:

They have said that NPCs, sea creatures, and crap like that isn't in the beta to play the 'not showing all our cards' thing. They've also said the playable area is also not the full map, but a section of it. I'm hoping that's true, but again, I'm still having a blast with it and have only been to a very small handful of islands so far.

But they have confirmed that stuff right? It's terrible because in this day where pubs and devs will lie about features just to get your money I'm apprehensive about things that Rare hasn't shown at all.

How varied are the islands? Are they procedurally generated or all hand crafted? Have you run into any that are copies of others with small or no changes? How big and small can they be?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

RCarr posted:

You do the exact same thing over and over and over, that's kind of grindy.

This beta is more or less a demo of a full game. It's a small version of the normal world with one quest line.

Or at least that's what we are being led to believe/hope.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
How are the boat/sail mechanics in this game? Is there wind and cool mechanics with it like in Pirates!, or are they just motorboats with sails? :v:

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Truga posted:

How are the boat/sail mechanics in this game? Is there wind and cool mechanics with it like in Pirates!, or are they just motorboats with sails? :v:
There is wind, there is hoisting and lowering and angling multiple sales, anchors, storms, etc. That part of the game is handled very well and the way the ships buck and heave with the water is the best.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Also god drat does the water look good. Everything about sailing from what I've played is beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Here is another content related video about their live campaigns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I37izw_-Jg

It's from last May and kind of vague, but maybe gives some insight into the amount of other content they're working on that we haven't seen yet.