Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

orange juche posted:

gently caress Jamie Whincup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Peanut President posted:

people should watch drag racing

People should go to drag racing. The reason why it's boring to watch on TV is because you're missing the experience of witnessing the ripping apart of time and dimensional space that only comes with seeing nitro dragsters in person

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Don't forget your hearing protection.

And probably eye protection too, let's be real.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

1500quidporsche posted:

Can't wait for Stroll to podium at this Florida race.

Only because he's being carried by his much superior co-drivers.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Don't forget your hearing protection.

And probably eye protection too, let's be real.

And your extra hearing protection too.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

WindyMan posted:

People should go to drag racing. The reason why it's boring to watch on TV is because you're missing the experience of witnessing the ripping apart of time and dimensional space that only comes with seeing nitro dragsters in person

Who watches car racing on tv???

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Peanut President posted:

Who watches car racing on tv???

I was at Daytona this time last year and am having to settle for watching on TV this time around.

It is.... unsatisfying.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

jammyozzy posted:

I was at Daytona this time last year and am having to settle for watching on TV this time around.

It is.... unsatisfying.

You watch races on TV to watch the race.

You go to a race to do anything but watch the race.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah I learned that at VIR. Road racing you get a whole different experience than watching on TV. Limited insight into happenings on track, but much nicer ear tickling, and really cool things to learn and watch in the paddock.

For the Conti and WeatherTech races we were at the oak tree grandstands, which is poo poo for overall race insight, but a lot of teams parked spotters in the crowd to radio the drivers in that area of the track, and we got some really cool info just chatting with them. Really open and friendly guys in the IMSA paddock.

e: even the GTLM teams, which I figured would be a bit more secretive, being pro factory efforts, but nah the crew guys are super chill

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

M8 lookin pretty good

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

M8 lookin pretty good

So it's no longer a whale in your opinion?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It is a nice whale

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
What is BMW even doing. All of their latest racecars are depressing attempts to graft their motorsports heritage onto product that was never conceived for it and resists it at every turn. Most of racing is marketing anyway but BMW makes the cynicism of it all utterly transparent in their quest to sell ///M merchandise to accountants and optometrists who want people to ascribe the energy and bravado of sports cars to them without the inconvenience of any of actual sport in their cars

Anyway, speaking of BMW, Ashley Freiberg finally got a ride in the Continental Tire Sportscar Challenge again, this time behind the wheel of an R8 GT4 alongside Gosia Rdest. In honor of the two women drivers, the livery incorporates the old Audi Sport colors in the style of Michele Mouton's ur-Quattro. Cool as hell.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

At least this time their GTE car is actually built to the rules and not an adapted GT3 car. They’ve sworn up and down the M8 is built more to this spec from the start, but who knows. I haven’t seen the M6 and M8 compared side by side, or the M8 alongside other cars. I’m just glad they’ve got factory programs in IMSA and WEC once more.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Now if only Aston would do GTLM and Corvette would do a full season GTE effort :allears:

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Now if only Aston would do GTLM and Corvette would do a full season GTE effort :allears:

There's a joke here I'm missing.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Aston Martin doesn't do pro GT racing in the US, and Corvette only does Le Mans, it'd be awesome to see them both all over the world all season long

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Schlesische posted:

There's a joke here I'm missing.

Not so much a joke as explained, it would just be awesome if all the GTE factories were committed to full-season campaigns in both IMSA and the WEC.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

harperdc posted:

Not so much a joke as explained, it would just be awesome if all the GTE factories were committed to full-season campaigns in both IMSA and the WEC.

If you're Aston Martin it probably doesn't make sense to burn even more money on races only die hards will ever watch.
I absolutely don't understand why Corvette doesn't do IMSA.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Schlesische posted:

If you're Aston Martin it probably doesn't make sense to burn even more money on races only die hards will ever watch.
I absolutely don't understand why Corvette doesn't do IMSA.

Corvette does IMSA, but only goes to the WEC for Le Mans as a Factory team. There was a privateer C7R in LM-GTE Am for a few years, but that team has now moved to P2.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

TY for clarifying.

I get the distinct impression that Aston are in LMGTE in WEC for two reasons:
1) Le Mans
2) They get to parade around in Abu Dhabi and act like a real racing team for all the rich sheikhs.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jan 25, 2018

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Aston Martin has a pretty rich history, and races at many levels. The CEO, John Hindhaugh, and the side from great British bake off did the 24 hours of COTA with one of their factory drivers in a one off lightly modified Vantage GT8, in the GT4 class.

There's a pair of V8 Vantages, one old style GS died, one GT4 spec in Conti as well. Every so often a team drags out their V12 Vantage GT3 at Lime Rock too, but that car is really long in the tooth and isn't really competitive anymore.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
MAZDA TOPS FREE PRACTICE 1 GET HYPE

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Cygni posted:

M8 lookin pretty good

I like it but that M1 behind it... :swoon:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Eyud posted:

I like it but that M1 behind it... :swoon:

You can keep the M8, gimme dat M1

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

M8 also seems to have some major problems in free practise.

And yes, gimme that M1. BMWs with small kidney = best BMWs (Barockengel, M1, E31 8series, Z1).

And Alonso's teammate sadly binned it after four laps. Let's hope it gets better for them. Rene Rast seems to have gotten a good drive though. Qualifying will be interesting.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

tuo posted:

And Alonso's teammate sadly binned it after four laps.

which teammate

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

OhsH posted:

which teammate

Hansen

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

OhsH posted:

which teammate

Hanson, according to motorsport-total.com

http://www.motorsport-total.com/imsa/news/24h-daytona-2018-unfall-fuer-fernando-alonsos-fahrzeug-18012501

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
The WRC season swings into action now with Rally Monte Carlo. Two tricky night stages tonight before the show really gets going tomorrow morning. Monte Carlo is one of the definite rally classics with massivly changing conditions and narrow tricky roads, often with sheer drops.

WRC+ coverage is supposed to be better this year with live coverage (though not necessarily live car footage). You can get a month free non-binding trial with the code WRC18ASI
https://plus.wrc.com/en/live-stages/live/

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Everyone please support Big Ott Tanak.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Lol Neuville.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

1:36.09 from Helio in quals, lol. After the roar, people were saying that the Acura was too slow. When will they ever learn about Penske.

e: holy shitttt van der zande.

Caddy, Oreca (acura), Caddy, Oreca, Caddy, Oreca, Caddy, Oreca

Cygni fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 25, 2018

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Holy poo poo Van Der Zande

what a frantic quali session

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cygni posted:

1:36.09 from Helio in quals, lol. After the roar, people were saying that the Acura was too slow. When will they ever learn about Penske.

Lol and Joest saying that they're setting their sights on beating Acura instead of Caddy as far as programs go, that's a risky proposition because every time Team Penske comes to IMSA they trample the field before peacing out.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
LOL at all the press running away from Helio

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

LOL at all the press running away from Helio

Huh I thought the quali was finished because T/S threw the flag, guess there was one more lap left :P

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

13 cars within 1 second, thats pretty dang good for a bop.

That Pat O'Ward lap was big too. Could see why both Van der zande and O'Ward have some buzz about em.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
BAR1 5.6 seconds off the pace in the Riley, slowest car that set a representative time. Nissans and 77 Mazda no representative times. 55 Mazda P9, Alonso P13

e:

orange juche posted:

Huh I thought the quali was finished because T/S threw the flag, guess there was one more lap left :P

flying laps count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

BAR1 5.6 seconds off the pace in the Riley, slowest car that set a representative time. Nissans and 77 Mazda no representative times. 55 Mazda P9, Alonso P13

e:

flying laps count

5.6 seconds off the pace, and 3 second behind the next highest Prototype doesn't bode well for that chassis at all, especially since it *should* be neck and neck with the other P2 efforts, and the leaders (in a perfect world). I don't think Multimatic/Riley is gonna be in the game much longer because they suck donkey balls at making a car.