Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Floodkiller posted:

That sounds like it might work for shining eyes, so I'll keep it in mind. Orbs of fire would probably be way too insane with that (monster spellpower is based on HD, so you'd probably need 4+ pips of MR to resist it and a bad polymorph would be awful while fighting orbs of fire).
Combine the ideas? Do that for shining, and make OoF check MR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

heard u like girls posted:

Pls no, the fire wand is perfect to kill electrical eels with and magic dart is some worthless bullshit

compromise position: make the fire wand never miss

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

PMush Perfect posted:

Combine the ideas? Do that for shining, and make OoF check MR?

Make OoF's spew mutagenic clouds. Not sure the exact mechanic, but there are a few ways it could be done

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Samog posted:

compromise position: make the fire wand never miss

give it smiting :v:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I don't mind specifically orbs of fire having malmutate. They're crawl's most famous gently caress-you monster, and part of their mystique is that any encounter with an OOF can gently caress you over permanently even if you survive. I am not a big fan of this kind of design for most monsters, but I think it adds a distinctive touch for there to be the occasional enemy that breaks the rules.

Clouds of malmutate gas cateblopas style seem fine too, or they could simply statrot you intensively for a similar kind of medium-term risk.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I wouldn't mind if orbs of fire could only give you blurry vision as long as that's the only thing they can do muts wise. Perhaps it could be a LOS type thing.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
^^ Currently malmutate does use LoS beam targetting, it's the only way to 'play around' it.

I'm also chiming in with I really don't mind OOF's getting malmutate, since they are literally the 'boss monsters' for a 3 rune run. Or 15 runes, if you don't clear Z:5 first. It's the other little bastards who are the problem imo. But as always, it's Floodkiller's prerogative!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Gooncrawl progress update:
  • You can heal yourself with the power of rocka mystical harp (still need to add the noise, forgot due to late night coding. Likely just going to be noise 4 for a small amount of flavor)

Blades of Disaster poll closed, with an overwhelming amount of yes votes (there was a "No" vote, but they also had a second vote as "I don't care" with a later timestamp so I took that). Voting results here (I left comments this time in case Heithinn Grasida wants to adjust anything based on them before I merge):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IZccabWVr5P3JZkS0XO0YoIw3hPliHktq1j1pshBjHU/edit?usp=drivesdk

I'll also be merging Araganzar's crablang pull request (after a minor fix). I won't start a poll for this one because it's an rcfile language option and doesn't directly affect the gameplay.

PS-Somebody save me from my programmer art:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sage Grimm posted:

Change shining eyes and orbs of fire gaze attacks to fire off mutagenic clouds similar to the stoning ones from catoblepas. Bam, done, don't linger in them.
That makes them more dangerous, though. Either you move each time it does it, and the OoF gets free attacks on you each time it forces you to move, or you don't move and you get mutated more than you would vs. an OoF with regular malmutate.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I've been convinced on letting OOFs stay as they are. However, shining eyes are slower and in a less tense environment so moving a tile isn't as expensive.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I'm fine with letting OoF keep their malmutate or whatever change people like (clouds are my favourite so far) but anyone who likes Shining Eyes or Nexcoycxstssd or Cacodemons keeping their lovely gaze needs to have their twisted and deformed head checked.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

My problem with catelbopas clouds is that it makes a whole stream of them. Better to just fire off a single cloud like a draconian or a ring of clouds around the target like an ophan.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Speleothing posted:

My problem with catelbopas clouds is that it makes a whole stream of them. Better to just fire off a single cloud like a draconian or a ring of clouds around the target like an ophan.

CattleBros clouds are already piss weak, why would you want to make them shittier? After my first game against them, I cleared Lair then went to the wiki to find out what those weird clouds did. It's not like I'm an idiot who stood in them to see what'd happen? How is their beam-cloud an issue? Even in their generated L:8 Vaults the corridors are plenty wide enough to step aside.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

The problem is that Orbs of Fire generate in Zot, which usually has normal, narrow corridors

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Yeah I've railed against malmutate as well and am 100% fine with it being removed from most threats, but I feel like Orbs of Fire should keep it. Orbs of Fire are basically the emblematic "toughest enemy" and them causing rampant permanent damage on you feels appropriate, especially since they're only found in Zot. Dealing with "permanent damage" in like the last ten minutes of the game is totally fine imo.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Yeah I've railed against malmutate as well and am 100% fine with it being removed from most threats, but I feel like Orbs of Fire should keep it. Orbs of Fire are basically the emblematic "toughest enemy" and them causing rampant permanent damage on you feels appropriate, especially since they're only found in Zot. Dealing with "permanent damage" in like the last ten minutes of the game is totally fine imo.

Malmutate has to be replaced because otherwise you're taking 50% more fire damage, but it has to be something with long term effects like stat drain, rot, draining, etc. The saving grace of OOFs is that you can stand in there without getting knocked back or slowed or having to dance around dodging clouds. This allows them to be straight up motherfuckers with damage. But when someone with finesse up has to take a step or drink a potion they can lose 4-5 attacks.

I like the idea of OOFs as a creature with long term deleterious effects that will also burn you to a cinder if you worry too much about avoiding them. It's cool that deciding whether or not to clear Zot 5 means asking yourself "do I want to risk crippling mutations before doing extended" in addition to "do I want an extra metric fuckton of xp before doing extended".

Can we just go ahead and give LRD to catos? I feel like that would add an extra level of oh poo poo when a yak gets stoned next to you. Also makes all the statues that tend to be in cato vaults a lot more tactically interesting. Or have some catos ridden spriggan-style by a humanoid that can cast LRD?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
That would send catos from being slightly stronger than a death yak to lethal if you ever gently caress up your movement. You get stoned and you're now a legal target for LRD. There's a reason Jorgrun packs it.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Serephina posted:

CattleBros clouds are already piss weak, why would you want to make them shittier? After my first game against them, I cleared Lair then went to the wiki to find out what those weird clouds did. It's not like I'm an idiot who stood in them to see what'd happen? How is their beam-cloud an issue? Even in their generated L:8 Vaults the corridors are plenty wide enough to step aside.

There are a good number of vaults in the bottom of lair where they generate in corridors. I'm stupidly in love with making cheibros though which makes them far more deadly. If you're worshiping chei trying to step aside tends to lead to another row of clouds being shot at wherever you're stepping to in the year and a half it takes you to get there.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Catoblepas are perfectly fine

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

• Neqoxecs now have Paralyze instead of Malmutate (along the theme of mind flayers). This keeps them as a large threat out of demon summonings at low-mid levels (as well as banishments) without drastically increasing their lethality, as they lack good offensive power to follow it up on their own (they just get more turns to summon or int drain). Additionally, their low HD means that even natural MR growth on an average species can out-scale its power by the late game (unlike how Malmutate made them consistently a number one threat at all levels).
  • Cacodemons now have Entropic Weave (the corrosive smite from entropy weavers) instead of Malmutate. This synergizes with Dig and their spell set's intention to disrupt the player amidst bigger threats. This takes a bit of their solo power away (spending a turn to corrode is definitely less meaningful to the player in a 1v1 than Malmutate), but improves their ability to support in larger fights. They won't rapid fire it like entropy weavers, but it should go off enough to be meaningful. Maybe this also makes rCorr more useful for Extended?

Still need to re-add normal sheep and merge the PRs. I'll see if I can also fit in making a couple vaults (like the ninja turtles suggestion). Aiming to 'release' v1.0 on Friday/Saturday by putting together the offline Windows compilations for download (looking for volunteers who can knock out the other OSs), as well as messaging server ops to see if anyone's willing to host the branch online.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Perfectly happy with these changes. Very nice!

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Floodkiller posted:

• Neqoxecs now have Paralyze instead of Malmutate (along the theme of mind flayers). This keeps them as a large threat out of demon summonings at low-mid levels (as well as banishments) without drastically increasing their lethality, as they lack good offensive power to follow it up on their own (they just get more turns to summon or int drain). Additionally, their low HD means that even natural MR growth on an average species can out-scale its power by the late game (unlike how Malmutate made them consistently a number one threat at all levels).
  • Cacodemons now have Entropic Weave (the corrosive smite from entropy weavers) instead of Malmutate. This synergizes with Dig and their spell set's intention to disrupt the player amidst bigger threats. This takes a bit of their solo power away (spending a turn to corrode is definitely less meaningful to the player in a 1v1 than Malmutate), but improves their ability to support in larger fights. They won't rapid fire it like entropy weavers, but it should go off enough to be meaningful. Maybe this also makes rCorr more useful for Extended?

Still need to re-add normal sheep and merge the PRs. I'll see if I can also fit in making a couple vaults (like the ninja turtles suggestion). Aiming to 'release' v1.0 on Friday/Saturday by putting together the offline Windows compilations for download (looking for volunteers who can knock out the other OSs), as well as messaging server ops to see if anyone's willing to host the branch online.

Awesome

If you could get it on Xtahua (cus im a filthy european) that would be very rad

Also if other goons play there, we got a lil discord club too since recently

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Floodkiller posted:

Aiming to 'release' v1.0 on Friday/Saturday by putting together the offline Windows compilations for download (looking for volunteers who can knock out the other OSs), as well as messaging server ops to see if anyone's willing to host the branch online.

I will certainly attempt to build it on FreeBSD next time I notice the source is up, but I have no idea how successful I'll be or how portable my results will be.

Still, I'm looking forward to potentially playing Crawl again after so long that it apparently got bad and is being made good again.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Serephina posted:

^^ Currently malmutate does use LoS beam targetting, it's the only way to 'play around' it.

I guess I should have been more clear, I meant that OOFs could give a blurry vision effect while you're in LOS like how torpor snails work.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Akett posted:

I guess I should have been more clear, I meant that OOFs could give a blurry vision effect while you're in LOS like how torpor snails work.

'There's too much glare to read your scroll. Try anyway?'

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey you peoples with mighty configs, is there a way of making Autexplore and "Wait till healed" not interrupt on self buffs wearing off? How about not interrupting when either HP/Mana fills up, but only once both do?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

• Sheep are back and retain their explosive qualities/baleful 'baaaa'ing.

All that's left is merging the PRs and maybe adding a couple vaults. After that, I've got to update the changelog (and other docs) and move everything to a gooncrawl-stable branch so I don't start breaking things on a finished version with future development, and to make it easier for server ops to host if any are willing. Everything should be good to go for a release at that point.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Floodkiller posted:

All that's left is merging the PRs and maybe adding a couple vaults. After that, I've got to update the changelog (and other docs) and move everything to a gooncrawl-stable branch so I don't start breaking things on a finished version with future development, and to make it easier for server ops to host if any are willing. Everything should be good to go for a release at that point.

:stoked:

I remember about a year ago the thread had a few pages of "we clearly need a fork now, but nobody is willing to put in the effort". Thank you for putting in the effort.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Floodkiller posted:

Yeah! You are the best

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Floodkiller, I hope you know how cool you are.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm not actually gonna make the ninja turtle vault because I don't want to learn enough intricacies to make it a full sewer and what's even the point if it isn't a sewer

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm not actually gonna make the ninja turtle vault because I don't want to learn enough intricacies to make it a full sewer and what's even the point if it isn't a sewer

How to make a sewer vault:
1) Make whatever vault you were going to make.
2) Stick some up stairs (<) where the portals out would be.
3) Stick it in the sewer file below the "default-depth: Sewer" line (line 341) if it's a sewer level, or above that line if it's a sewer entry vault.

I was probably just going to make a small closet with pizza, four turtles, a rat, and ninja weapon substitutes. If you have a bigger idea of what you were looking for, feel free to just make the outline in a pastebin and I can stick it together in the right places.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'd also have to figure out how to add adolescent snapping turtles to the game but if that's easy too maybe I'll give it a try. All I really had was what you said except it's a sewer.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I'd also have to figure out how to add adolescent snapping turtles to the game but if that's easy too maybe I'll give it a try. All I really had was what you said except it's a sewer.

Check out line 972 to see how it changes merfolk sirens/avatars to a weaker version with a new name.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't actually know anything about ninja turtles, is there any distinctive feature of the sewers they live in before I make thoroughly generic ones for them?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Can you steal labyrinth passage generating code to make a maze like sewer leading to the turtle closet?

Minus the passage shifting and map memory loss of course.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't think labyrinths are generated via vaults and sewers are always vaults so it'd require actual code changes I think. I think I could generate 3-4 premade maps and give them each 1/3 or 1/4 the normal spawn rate so it "feels" like a random maze.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't actually know anything about ninja turtles, is there any distinctive feature of the sewers they live in before I make thoroughly generic ones for them?

They are large enough to skateboard in and they have a supercomputer.

Also they can get pizza delivered.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't think labyrinths are generated via vaults and sewers are always vaults so it'd require actual code changes I think. I think I could generate 3-4 premade maps and give them each 1/3 or 1/4 the normal spawn rate so it "feels" like a random maze.
This also brings the rare possibility of running into multiple turtle vaults in a game, which is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010
Put the Autumn Katana in it. I don't actually think it'll add to the aesthetic, I just want more chances at clarity on my mummies.

• Locked thread