Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/8srChE2.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Toops posted:

I have an opinion on this matter.

:justpost:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
:ohdear:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

X:Rebirth comes close. No Mans Sky, but that was a lot of signal-boosting to fill in the blanks. Brutal Legend is a classic example.
I'm still sore about brutal legend

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
like there was zero loving shown of the actual, real RTS poo poo gameplay

even the demo was all 3rd person hack n slash with cool things

goddamn, gently caress you tim lol

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

I'm still sore about brutal legend

I was expecting a nice RPG about hair metal and got an RTS. The first of many insults from Schaffer, may camels infest his crawl space.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

D_Smart posted:

The Federal govt takes their time.
I get it now,
1) Crytek, 2) Streetroller, 3) FTC.

Would the Citizens accept a court judgment?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Lladre posted:

Most of their sales are 45, 50 and 65 dollar items so sequencing it may not be as telling as conspiracy theorists will have you on about.

I_still_trust_cig_to_cheat

Quavers posted:

Quavers' Snacksized Review: Why Sleeping Dogs is better than Star Citizen

:words:

I’m beginning to think maybe Star Citizen is not as good as I’ve been led to believe...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 25, 2018

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I bought Brutal Legend and Spacebase DF-9.

Yes I am an idiot, why do you ask?

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Thoatse posted:

FA off on a 2d monitor is a handful but in VR is actually quite manageable and a lot of fun, likely due to the myriad of visual cues you get from being able to rely on parallax like irl... love my virtual space helicopter

I did try FA off ages ago and found it a bit difficult. Never thought to give it a go in VR though, will give it a try.
Thanks for all the comments on this guys.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hav posted:

X:Rebirth comes close. No Mans Sky, but that was a lot of signal-boosting to fill in the blanks. Brutal Legend is a classic example.

TheAgent posted:

like there was zero loving shown of the actual, real RTS poo poo gameplay

even the demo was all 3rd person hack n slash with cool things

goddamn, gently caress you tim lol
To be fair, didn't the publishers specifically force Double Fine to conceal the RTS stuff? I mean, say what you will about the execution, but I think if they'd been allowed to be upfront with it, there wouldn't have been such a backlash.

It seemed quite cool from what I've seen of Bobbin Threadbare's LP of it, albeit short.

Speaking of other games that are not Star Citizen but are actual games: The trailer for the new Stellaris DLC (which is coinciding with the free 2.0 update that's overhauling a bunch of game mechanics) dropped earlier today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW3YB2ptGws
It tells a more compelling story than anything we've seen of Star Citizen/Squadron 42 so far, and without a bunch of A-List actors to boot!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

I’m beginning to think maybe Star Citizen is not as good as I’ve been led to believe...

You overlay fun at the end.

Yvonmukluk posted:

To be fair, didn't the publishers specifically force Double Fine to conceal the RTS stuff?

2/3rds of my complaints about ol' Timmy take place after he threw off the shackles of deadlines and meetings and producing things for money.

big nipples big life posted:

I bought Brutal Legend and Spacebase DF-9.

Yes I am an idiot, why do you ask?

Don't feel that bad, I own both of those, and all three games I mentioned earlier.

No Man's Sky is turning out pretty well, but the launch was garbage. The Tech was impressive, but the gameplay loop was fairly shallow and you could actually pretty much do everything within 10 hours. There's a bit more of a campaign, you can build bases and vehicles and generally it ticks boxes for the more stoned sofa player. So I hear.

Hav fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 25, 2018

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Phi230 posted:

Even BSG's combat doesn't make sense because the moment you move your Viper in any direction you'd be instagibbed into a fine red paste

Either you make a game where space combat follows physics and thus is like Children Of A Dead Earth or you go full on-rails magic like Star Wars.

:wrong:

Unless you accept a crobbler's understanding of physics. Rather than make a long dumb boring post about it (brevity is not my strong suit), you can read someone else's short dumb boring post about it

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/misconceptions.php (skip to 'rockets are not fighter planes' and 'rockets are not arrows')

I'm not saying it would make for good game mechanics, and this is almost certainly the reason for limitations on rotations in ED but from a physics/physiological standpoint BSG maneuvers are mostly legit

vs

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Hav posted:

About that. Around the same time that the Skadden case dropped, I ran the Benford numbers on the funding tracker. Benford numbers are the phenomenon of any series of natural numbers _beginning with_ a particular digit occur within a very specific probability, so they use it to find out if number sequences are bs or not.

Obviously I'm just a dweebie that gets paid to push bits around, but this has been bugging me for a while.

Blue bars are the funding tracker. Red is the Fibonacci sequence for calibration. Theory being that any large stack of numbers will have a number beginning with '1', 30% of the time.

I don't think the funding tracker is kosher, personally. It raises some interesting questions around using data to justify *ahem* donations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benford%27s_law

:five:
I was hoping someone would make this comparison for us.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Thoatse posted:

all the while cementing everything in place that will prevent that from ever happening just like they did with VR.

That a cockpit simulator in 2018 doesn't have VR is astonishing. Of course Star Citizen would just induce immediate vomiting due to the framerate so I can understand why it's not been added.

EDIT: I just had an image of my head of shitizens on streams just vomiting whenever they play Star Citizen. It'd be fitting.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Dooguk posted:

I did try FA off ages ago and found it a bit difficult. Never thought to give it a go in VR though, will give it a try.
Thanks for all the comments on this guys.

Np I like to help.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Legal posted:

I mean he is correct. The door itself is not the expensive part of an automatic, security controlled, sliding door installation.

What this idiot from the village of extra chromosomes does not realize is that that sliding door unit has a base cost of close to $9-12k. That is just for the hardware. Now you have to pay to have those installed too. Think that's cheap? Tack on another $5k. Oh, we are doing custom fabricated doors and surrounds? That's going to be another $10k. As a professional custom fabricator, I can tell you with absolute honesty that a set of basic custom entry doors are going to start at $3-5k. BASIC doors too. These are not just painted plywood slabs. Not by a long shot. The relief patterns in those doors are milled with CNC precision and are more than likely made of MDF for weight tolerances and flatness with an acrylic 3 stage paint job with vinyl graphics. CNC design time on Autocad and then porting it over to the CNC for test runs will throw about $200 per hr plus materials. There is no backer than donated those as that would have been the first answer CIG would have given when asked about them rather than Ben's fat rear end telling everyone they were made from a garage door opener and some painted plywood. None of these spergs understands door fabrication development. :colbert:

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

DapperDon posted:

What this idiot from the village of extra chromosomes does not realize is that that sliding door unit has a base cost of close to $9-12k. That is just for the hardware. Now you have to pay to have those installed too. Think that's cheap? Tack on another $5k. Oh, we are doing custom fabricated doors and surrounds? That's going to be another $10k. As a professional custom fabricator, I can tell you with absolute honesty that a set of basic custom entry doors are going to start at $3-5k. BASIC doors too. These are not just painted plywood slabs. Not by a long shot. The relief patterns in those doors are milled with CNC precision and are more than likely made of MDF for weight tolerances and flatness with an acrylic 3 stage paint job with vinyl graphics. CNC design time on Autocad and then porting it over to the CNC for test runs will throw about $200 per hr plus materials. There is no backer than donated those as that would have been the first answer CIG would have given when asked about them rather than Ben's fat rear end telling everyone they were made from a garage door opener and some painted plywood. None of these spergs understands door fabrication development. :colbert:

This door keeps delivering even years after. Thanks you CIG/RSI/15others ; the door is only matched by the coffee machine.

Zzr fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 25, 2018

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Zzr posted:

The door is only matched by the coffee machine.

There is so much truth about that.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

G0RF posted:

I_still_trust_cig_to_cheat

Oh they totally game that system. However it's a bit of an odd situation when you have a web store that only sells a handful of products.
The really damming number would be whatever their base subscription costs a month. Is it 20 some dollars or is it in the teens?
That is where they are getting their most revenue during the often lean times.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
So, a month ago our wahhhlord wanted to sue Montoya, or slap him with a C&D, or something.

Except for the initial grandstanding, I assume nothing came out of that?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/7sptde/sixense_stem_system_update_jan_2018/

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

DapperDon posted:

Yup, as a business owner doors are a surprising expense. Basic hollow core brown door w/frame (the type you see in offices all over the world) set me back $600 plus door hardware and add to that install cost. If you want access control with electrified hardware you are looking at roughly $2000 with install. No way that door was "peanuts." The most hilarious part is it uses garage door mechanicals? seriously? Is there anyone in the world that hasn't remarked on how drat loud garage doors openers are? Unless you want an annoyingly loud experience every time someone enters or exits you would not use it, not even taking into account the property owners would laugh your rear end out of the building if you did attempt to use electricals not rated for office usage. Garage door opener motors are rated for 10% duty cycle or less, they are not rated for opening and closing all day for 8-10 hours. Nothing better than having the motor catch on fire. The crap people will make up to feel better

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DapperDon posted:

Not by a long shot. The relief patterns in those doors are milled with CNC precision and are more than likely made of MDF for weight tolerances and flatness with an acrylic 3 stage paint job with vinyl graphics. CNC design time on Autocad and then porting it over to the CNC for test runs will throw about $200 per hr plus materials. There is no backer than donated those as that would have been the first answer CIG would have given when asked about them rather than Ben's fat rear end telling everyone they were made from a garage door opener and some painted plywood. None of these spergs understands door fabrication development. :colbert:

Personally I'd have a bunch of 4mm ply and/or acrylic for greebling the door; that's a laser cutter which is a lot cheaper at my local hack workshop. I doubt they're hitting up master craftsman for this poo poo, or the actual door mechanism wouldn't be a garage door opener. Milling MDF sounds fun, but personally I wouldn't do it; goes hella fluffy, even with a surface treatment.

Tarquinn posted:

The universe got slightly warmer.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Tarquinn posted:

So, a month ago our wahhhlord wanted to sue Montoya, or slap him with a C&D, or something.

what does your smart tell you?

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

monkeytek posted:

Yup, as a business owner doors are a surprising expense. Basic hollow core brown door w/frame (the type you see in offices all over the world) set me back $600 plus door hardware and add to that install cost. If you want access control with electrified hardware you are looking at roughly $2000 with install. No way that door was "peanuts." The most hilarious part is it uses garage door mechanicals? seriously? Is there anyone in the world that hasn't remarked on how drat loud garage doors openers are? Unless you want an annoyingly loud experience every time someone enters or exits you would not use it, not even taking into account the property owners would laugh your rear end out of the building if you did attempt to use electricals not rated for office usage. Garage door opener motors are rated for 10% duty cycle or less, they are not rated for opening and closing all day for 8-10 hours. Nothing better than having the motor catch on fire. The crap people will make up to feel better

Their entire fandom is made of people that have never done or been anything in their entire lives. Their excuses for everything is pulled from the deep archives of their own assholes. There is a reason they need this video game to believe in and escape into. I do this stuff every single day. I mean I love projects like that and jump at them whenever I get the chance, but the nonsense they keep lying about is just sad. Garage doors indeed. Even the belt driven models are still loud as all hell and then someone needs to tell me how that garage door was programmed to such a small range of opposite motion with a soft close feature.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Do you think that backers grip their steering wheels and REEEEE every time they see a Smart Car? Like a PTSD trigger?

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

DapperDon posted:

Their entire fandom is made of people that have never done or been anything in their entire lives. Their excuses for everything is pulled from the deep archives of their own assholes. There is a reason they need this video game to believe in and escape into. I do this stuff every single day. I mean I love projects like that and jump at them whenever I get the chance, but the nonsense they keep lying about is just sad. Garage doors indeed. Even the belt driven models are still loud as all hell and then someone needs to tell me how that garage door was programmed to such a small range of opposite motion with a soft close feature.

The thing that irritates me the most is the angry authority they adopt when spreading this drivel is beyond me.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Hav posted:

Personally I'd have a bunch of 4mm ply and/or acrylic for greebling the door; that's a laser cutter which is a lot cheaper at my local hack workshop. I doubt they're hitting up master craftsman for this poo poo, or the actual door mechanism wouldn't be a garage door opener. Milling MDF sounds fun, but personally I wouldn't do it; goes hella fluffy, even with a surface treatment.

The universe got slightly warmer.

Plywood is a nonstarter for something like this due to tolerances in the track as it is susceptible to movement from climate. You wouldn't hit up a master craftsman but a good custom fabrication shop with a skilled CNC operations unit will do just fine. Milling MDF is actually done all the time as it is not affected by movement and is dead flat and stays that way. The only time MDF gets fluffy is when its milled at the 4th axis and done with HSS tooling rather than Carbide due to speed differentials. Glad to see a fellow goon that knows his fabrication though. Also a laser cutter can't cut the chamfered reliefs in the door like that. More than likely a plunge bit.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Omniblivion posted:

Do you think that backers grip their steering wheels and REEEEE every time they see a Smart Car? Like a PTSD trigger?

Do you think backers ever leave their basement?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

I wonder what would cut Chris' ego more - SC's outright cessation of existence, or SC's inevitable destiny as complete poo poo coming to fulfillment.

The answer to this is none of the above, because it wasn't his fault.

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zzr posted:

This door keeps delivering even years after. Thanks you CIG/RSI/15others ; the door is only matched by the coffee machine.
Sir i daresay you are forgetting about a certain airplane wing desk.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Do you think backers ever leave their basement?

Do you think backers think ?

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

monkeytek posted:

The thing that irritates me the most is the angry authority they adopt when spreading this drivel is beyond me.

I agree. Especially when I can literally point to my shop and explain how those things are done they double down and REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Hav posted:

The trick was to turn your engines off and use the thrusters to engage once you both met at the same relative frame; or you could buy an imperial courier, load up 50 shield generators and decorate your hull with the finely ground bodies of your victims.

I cheesed it after getting jumped by one too many krait gangs.

You don't have to wait, you're already in the same relative frame. The reason people gently caress up combat in Frontier is because the way their velocity indicator is pointing is relative to Jupiter or whatever and they think they have to get rid of all that velocity in order to move toward the enemy. Hence, jousting fights where they accelerate far too much. Really all you have to do is pay attention to your speed relative to the enemy (ignoring everything on your HUD that indicates your velocity relative to whatever local body), and you can have perfectly reasonable dogfights which involve no jousting at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UMIbdN0UFE

This is much easier in versions of Frontier that have been hacked to run on modern Windows (JJFFE, FFED3D, &c), as they allow you to manually control your lateral thrusters. Pioneer does all that and also allows you to ctrl-click on a target to set it as your velocity reference. Newtonian combat itself works just fine; the problem was that Frontier didn't do a very good job of communicating with the player, and actively presented irrelevant information (velocity indicator and space dust relative to the nearest local body instead of the enemy)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lladre posted:

Most of their sales are 45, 50 and 65 dollar items so sequencing it may not be as telling as conspiracy theorists will have you on about.

That doesn't matter for that particular law. As long as the amounts earned extend over multiple magnitudes it should work. And their daily tracker goes all the way from 20k to almost 2 million. As a matter of fact, since they have never gotten more than 2 million per day, you should expect the probability of the numbers starting with one to be slightly above 31%.

So maybe you should start wearing your :tinfoil:

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

DapperDon posted:

I agree. Especially when I can literally point to my shop and explain how those things are done they double down and REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

:jackbud:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Tarquinn posted:

Lol no

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
You're welcome thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td-_pUPVjdo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP