Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Thoatse posted:

Not at all, you're right on the money and it makes me a bitter grognard. This hits to the core of why I want to punch Star Citizen in the throat -it was exclusively supposed to not be another one of these generic pieces of poo poo for the unwashed masses and that is 100% the flag crobbler and co wrapped themselves in that got this project off the launchpad in the first place. 'dust off ur joyticks' 'no guns follow the ship' 'no freelancer controls' 'no point and click', 'controls agnostic!' and such were all actual answers given in official capacity to early worriers with enough foresight on the subject to ask specific questions to suss out this issue.

Around the 50-60 million dollar mark though they threw out all that 'niche game to revive a niche genre' talk and entered the 'too big to fail' territory and started selling mutually exclusive ~dreamz~ to the much wider/generic FPS crowd once sim whales were running out of milk. They have maintained the illusion they will one day make that flight sim (just wait till beta!) they sold to the delusionals still hanging on, all the while cementing everything in place that will prevent that from ever happening just like they did with VR.

As far as I can see, it's literally the biggest bait and switch in the history of making games, at least to my autistic brain

I think people filled in the blanks with *dreams* more than any kind of bait and switch on the flight model. For all of CR's lies, he did say that combat would be similar to Wing Commander (aka arcade); just with "realistically modeled thrusters".

People read "realistically modeled thrusters" and concluded it would be full newtonian 3d Asteroids style combat and not wing commander.

I don't think anyone actually wants to play a realistic space dogfighting game; fun against dumb as bricks AI. Terrible against humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Love Wayne Brady.

:five:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

“People who buy lots of spaceships aren’t stupid.” — Ben Lesnick, Master of Ships.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

G0RF posted:

“People who buy lots of spaceships aren’t stupid.” — Ben Lesnick, Master of Ships.

No, a joke in itself is when a midget eats itself! ~ Ben Lesnick, I'd call him a oval office but he lacks the depth or warmth to give pleasure.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
The disappointment smarts.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Eldragon posted:

I think people filled in the blanks with *dreams* more than any kind of bait and switch on the flight model. For all of CR's lies, he did say that combat would be similar to Wing Commander (aka arcade); just with "realistically modeled thrusters".

People read "realistically modeled thrusters" and concluded it would be full newtonian 3d Asteroids style combat and not wing commander.

I don't think anyone actually wants to play a realistic space dogfighting game; fun against dumb as bricks AI. Terrible against humans.

It never felt like wing commander though. It felt like I was trying to play a FPS with a joystick circa 1996 with Jedi Knight. When you play freelancer then try Star Citizen with a MKB set up it became obvious who was being catered to and priority given for flight controls. I signed up for a new wing commander/Xwing like game not War Thunder in space that it became.

That being said Elite 3.0 beta should be downloaded. Took the doge to the park since it's 60 in Jan.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

trucutru posted:

That doesn't matter for that particular law. As long as the amounts earned extend over multiple magnitudes it should work. And their daily tracker goes all the way from 20k to almost 2 million. As a matter of fact, since they have never gotten more than 2 million per day, you should expect the probability of the numbers starting with one to be slightly above 31%.

So maybe you should start wearing your :tinfoil:

Distribution size does matter.
And my hat is made of wool. Regular olde sheep wool. Not really a hat so much as a cap.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

big nipples big life posted:

One thing that croberts seems to understand is that WWII is peak air combat but then, because he is an idiot, makes combat just floating turrets. ED is much closer to "WWII in space" than SC is but dogfights are still weak compared to IL2 '46.

not sure if he understands that or just thought it looked cool when he first watched star wars.

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

monkeytek posted:

Yup, as a business owner doors are a surprising expense. Basic hollow core brown door w/frame (the type you see in offices all over the world) set me back $600 plus door hardware and add to that install cost. If you want access control with electrified hardware you are looking at roughly $2000 with install. No way that door was "peanuts." The most hilarious part is it uses garage door mechanicals? seriously? Is there anyone in the world that hasn't remarked on how drat loud garage doors openers are? Unless you want an annoyingly loud experience every time someone enters or exits you would not use it, not even taking into account the property owners would laugh your rear end out of the building if you did attempt to use electricals not rated for office usage. Garage door opener motors are rated for 10% duty cycle or less, they are not rated for opening and closing all day for 8-10 hours. Nothing better than having the motor catch on fire. The crap people will make up to feel better

Hey, Look Everyone! A guy that doesn't understand door, building code, OR office development.

Everyone knows you put in a garage door first. Then, you OPTIMIZE LATER. That's the key. It starts out as some janky, loud, completely unfit and unsafe garage door. Only once the entire purpose of the office being there is almost complete (about 10-20 years is average for an office that starts from scratch), you come back through and refine the garage door opener piece by piece until it resembles something you might buy off the shelf at your standard office door manufacturer.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

It never felt like wing commander though. It felt like I was trying to play a FPS with a joystick circa 1996 with Jedi Knight. When you play freelancer then try Star Citizen with a MKB set up it became obvious who was being catered to and priority given for flight controls. I signed up for a new wing commander/Xwing like game not War Thunder in space that it became.

That being said Elite 3.0 beta should be downloaded. Took the doge to the park since it's 60 in Jan.

Yeah, they never quite got it right, and probably never will. One of the early alphas was *close*, but it got continually worse as they continually confused "realism" with "fun", just like they do with every other aspect of the game.

I'd be very excited for Elite Beta if it wasn't for the fact FDev decided Elite needed to be MORE grindy.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Achamp posted:

Hey, Look Everyone! A guy that doesn't understand door, building code, OR office development.

Everyone knows you put in a garage door first. Then, you OPTIMIZE LATER. That's the key. It starts out as some janky, loud, completely unfit and unsafe garage door. Only once the entire purpose of the office being there is almost complete (about 10-20 years is average for an office that starts from scratch), you come back through and refine the garage door opener piece by piece until it resembles something you might buy off the shelf at your standard office door manufacturer.

Damnit you caught me, sorry guys our super secret attempt to undermine SC with Doorgate has failed :foxnews:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Sunswipe posted:

No, a joke in itself is when a midget eats itself! ~ Ben Lesnick, I'd call him a oval office but he lacks the depth or warmth to give pleasure.

That particular chapter of Star Citizen history still stuns and amazed me. It really does.

I’m amazed that The Book of Loaf debacle wasn’t at least enough to get him immediately moved out of a front-facing role for the company. At the very least. But I’m further amazed that the very same gaming press that engaged in a full-scale ritual sacrifice of Tim Soret (best game trailer at E3 last year) for his Twitter misdemeanors despite apologies completely ignored (though surely was not ignorant of) the matter.

Somehow, Loaf aroused little controversy outside of the Zealot/Hater Wars and what could’ve really lead to a company crippling PR catastrophe remained contained. And the continuing good work of relentless whale fleecing continued. It’s really incredible.

You have to at least give Chris credit for stubborn loyalty. If you genuinely worship him and make preservation of his legacy your vocation and advocation, he’ll keep you around despite the risks. Why fire someone with such exquisite taste in game developers?

G0RF fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 25, 2018

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It's because no one outside of a small subset of gamers gives a poo poo about Star Citizen. For the few that have heard of it it is "that game that raised a lot of money and still isn't out".

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Tarquinn posted:

So, a month ago our wahhhlord wanted to sue Montoya, or slap him with a C&D, or something.

Except for the initial grandstanding, I assume nothing came out of that?

That has been a safe assumption for decades.

Ken White posted:

Who is Derek Smart? He's the Orly Taitz of computer gaming. He's a game developer — technically — and a career lawsuit-threatening troll. His team of lawyers is like a fundamentalist preacher's God: they're frequently invoked to terrify, but their existence mostly taken on faith. He's a multi-millionaire, apparently, but then so are Carrot Top and that awful TV woman with the eight cute kids. It's been a long time in American culture since self-made wealth signified someone to be taken seriously.

https://www.popehat.com/2015/10/04/in-space-no-one-can-hear-you-threaten-lawsuits/

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

It's because no one outside of a small subset of gamers gives a poo poo about Star Citizen. For the few that have heard of it it is "that game that raised a lot of money and still isn't out".

Bu..But their plan is to sell as much as World of Warcraft? Are you saying their plan is unfeasible?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Nah, you can’t claim Star Citizen is a non-story game nobody’s heard about — the prestige outlets like Kotaku US and Polygon gave it lots of coverage over the years, and now that the dev budget has reached GTA5 levels and dwarfs all other crowdfunding gaming projects, it’s earned its “Public Interest” stripes. (Its budget and scope completely dwarfs that of Last Night, an E3 radar blip about which so much less is known and which is now permanently alloyed with controversy.)

Star Citizen is both the 800 lb. Gorilla and Elephant in the Room of Crowdfunded gaming. The elephant drops loads of crap out constantly and the gorilla does Winston’s ultimate every so often and flings it everywhere, such as when that particular Loaf dropped.

Incidentally, I’m not mourning the fact that it didn’t blow up. Weighed against the greater sins of Chris in particular, it would’ve been yet another sideshow that pulled focus off the much bigger and more problematic stories. But it was social media drybrush and all it would’ve taken was one hot spotlight on it and the fires would’ve been visible from space.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

In the grand scheme of mainstream video games Star Citizen is definitely a non story.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!
Does anyone feel like rubbing?

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

In the grand scheme of mainstream video games Star Citizen is definitely a non story.

Yup. The ~200 avg. Twitch daily viewership bears this out.

By comparison, Blizzard's "small game" that is nowhere near as high profile as Overwatch etc etc-Heroes of the Storm (moba) gets about 5000-6000 avg. daily twitch viewers. 'Nuff said.

SC Reddit shills and CIG interns: your game is a non factor

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

And yet Polygon alone has written a dozen stories in the last quarter about it.

I get that it’s niche, and why we don’t see New York Times / WSJ coverage hardly at all. But gaming news sites cover stories about games and studios of all sizes constantly andtheir economic model remains one driven by clicks and engagement. A story by any major gaming outlet would’ve exploded and launched dozens more elsewhere, and we saw exactly that with Last Night, a game which absolutely nobody had heard and for which there was one cool trailer + some controversial tweets from a few years back and BOOM.

I’m glad it didn’t blow up but still amazed it didn’t. And that Ben stayed front and center for some time.

ManofManyAliases posted:

I’m excited about the new website and ATV if that’s what you mean.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 25, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

ManofManyAliases posted:

Rubbed. Then felt grief.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Polygon is also a non factor though.

e: A community manager for Blizzard or EA having written the Book of Loaf probably wouldn't rate a front page on IGN or Gamespot so one for a kickstarter non game in an extremely niche genre is definitely not going to.

If the CEO or something had written it different story but not a community manager.

big nipples big life fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 25, 2018

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
The handful of friends that I know who are into games and scifi to a man had no idea what Star Citizen was.
Ask them about Fallout and they will go on about their base they have built from scrap.

Only reason I heard about it was from some of the goonrathi stuff.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

ManofManyAliases posted:

Two weeks. (from tomorrow)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Colostomy Bag posted:

Rubbed. Then felt grief.

I know what will cheer you up.

A jpeg.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Polygon is also a non factor though.
They’re big enough to have made it a huge story covered by those downstream and up. The Last Night thing is an example of what that looks like, a tiny game turned major controversy in gaming news.

Again, I’m glad it didn’t happen. And my prior point was just amazement that the risks weren’t enough to get Ben sidelined then and there. Those both broke very differently than expected, at least for me, but they definitely were instructive in the process.

quote:

If the CEO or something had written it different story but not a community manager.
I at least agree that this mitigated the risk.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 25, 2018

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

happyhippy posted:

I know what will cheer you up.

A jpeg.

A jpeg started it all you insensitive clod.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

G0RF posted:

They’re big enough to have made it a huge story covered by those downstream and up. The Last Night thing is an example of what that looks like, a tiny game turned major controversy in gaming news.

Again, I’m glad it didn’t happen. And my prior point was just amazement that the risks weren’t enough to get Ben sidelined then and there. Those both broke very differently than expected, at least for me, but they definitely were instructive in the process.

I at least agree that this mitigated the risk.

I agree it's shocking Ben didn't get his walking papers for that but CIG proves over and over again they lack self awareness.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I bought Brutal Legend and Spacebase DF-9.

Yes I am an idiot, why do you ask?

DF-9 is what ruined me for kickstarter & early access.

Never. Again.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Foo Diddley posted:

You don't have to wait, you're already in the same relative frame. The reason people gently caress up combat in Frontier is because the way their velocity indicator is pointing is relative to Jupiter or whatever and they think they have to get rid of all that velocity in order to move toward the enemy. Hence, jousting fights where they accelerate far too much. Really all you have to do is pay attention to your speed relative to the enemy (ignoring everything on your HUD that indicates your velocity relative to whatever local body), and you can have perfectly reasonable dogfights which involve no jousting at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UMIbdN0UFE

This is much easier in versions of Frontier that have been hacked to run on modern Windows (JJFFE, FFED3D, &c), as they allow you to manually control your lateral thrusters. Pioneer does all that and also allows you to ctrl-click on a target to set it as your velocity reference. Newtonian combat itself works just fine; the problem was that Frontier didn't do a very good job of communicating with the player, and actively presented irrelevant information (velocity indicator and space dust relative to the nearest local body instead of the enemy)

Why am I not surprised that video is by Isinona? ;)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

A jpeg started it all you insensitive clod.

This made my day.

That's what a dead gaye comedy forum would say.

More seriously, you're entirely and utterly right. By the time this thing actually breaks we'll probably be worried about the newly uncovered Presidential hooker dump and the complete non-reaction by literally everyone.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SoftNum posted:

DF-9 is what ruined me for kickstarter & early access.

Never. Again.

We can hate Tim together. With a quiet dignity and by being mean about Fig.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Speaking of Tim, I wonder where Touchdown Tim is these days, the handsome devil

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Thoatse posted:

Speaking of Tim, I wonder where Touchdown Tim is these days, the handsome devil

He's having Legal trouble.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

ManofManyAliases posted:

Will CIG give me a one-time courtesy refresh after the little death?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

He's having Legal trouble.

Ballsy guy

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Hav posted:

About that. Around the same time that the Skadden case dropped, I ran the Benford numbers on the funding tracker. Benford numbers are the phenomenon of any series of natural numbers _beginning with_ a particular digit occur within a very specific probability, so they use it to find out if number sequences are bs or not.

Obviously I'm just a dweebie that gets paid to push bits around, but this has been bugging me for a while.

Blue bars are the funding tracker. Red is the Fibonacci sequence for calibration. Theory being that any large stack of numbers will have a number beginning with '1', 30% of the time.

I don't think the funding tracker is kosher, personally. It raises some interesting questions around using data to justify *ahem* donations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benford%27s_law

Wikipedia posted:

Benford's law tends to apply most accurately to data that are distributed uniformly across several orders of magnitude. As a rule of thumb, the more orders of magnitude that the data evenly covers, the more accurately Benford's law applies.

I don't really think Benford's law applies very well to CIGs funding tracker, at least not the daily income figures. I wouldn't expect the funding tracker data to be uniformly distributed because you'll have weeks and weeks of low, stable income (possibly subscriber fees?), and then they'll do a sale and have really high revenues for a few weeks, then go back to slow and steady income. Also, as far as I recall, CIGs daily funding doesn't really span many orders of magnitude, which also makes Benford's law less applicable.

What makes the funding not kosher is that Star Citizen is a bad game that will never be fun and will never fulfil all its promises.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Responses from Reddit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

So wait, if Squadron 42 is like the tutorial for SC and your progress carries over, how do they reconcile having a female avatar in SC?