Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I got a job in Support at a software engineering company with literally zero experience in a legitimate office environment based off of knowing Excel, problem solving skills, and 10 years of a great track record working in restaurants. 3 years later I walked into a QA position in development at the same company with literally zero development experience. You'll be fine.

How did you doing that/ present the restaurant experience as job relevant?

This is me, please teach me your ways.

How is it working out for you in the long run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

TheParadigm posted:

I'm still in my first IT job after making a career change from professional chef, but focusing on the customer service aspect of years of waiting tables and bartending was a big hit with HR at this place. Having my N+ got me in the door with the IT side but assuring the HR woman that I really enjoy helping people got me the job. Now that I've been doing it for a year and piled on a few more certs and an AS, it's time to find a job where I don't have to find a way to politely explain to people that their literal 400+ folder Outlook tree full of special characters didn't migrate smoothly to GSuite.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

larchesdanrew posted:

The best graffiti came in.

Last night, someone drew a photo-realistic Ronald Reagan on the whiteboard in the student lounge with the text, "Mr. [larchesdanrew], tear down this Smoothwall."

I want to get it framed.

:vince:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

larchesdanrew posted:

Last night, someone drew a photo-realistic Ronald Reagan on the whiteboard in the student lounge with the text, "Mr. [larchesdanrew], tear down this Smoothwall."

I want to get it framed.

Tape up a printout of that Spongebob meme. " tEaR dOwN T hIs sMooThWaLL"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

I want to get it framed.

Things like this gives me hope for the future.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Da gently caress?

http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/2018/01/25/office-2019-client-preview-showing-up-on-wsus-servers/

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

larchesdanrew posted:

I want to get it framed.

:justpost:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Sadly, I didn't think to get a picture while I was in there and on my way back through, my work service student had already erased everything.

Good news, I found out who did it and she's going to draw me a personal one so I can hang it in my office.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Post when you can!

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a phone call came in.

"Hey, you guys sold us a printer in September. We decided we aren't going to use it anymore and want to return it for a refund"

Yeah.. good luck with that.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
That's not how buying things work!

Have they never bought something before??

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
What do we look like? Costco?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

That's not how buying things work!

Have they never bought something before??

I'm pretty sure the conversation with the owner will involve the words: "But we're a struggling small business"

It seems to be the standard response when trying to do something that doesn't makes sense.

Renegret posted:

What do we look like? Costco?

I just told my boss and this is literally what he said.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 25, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Maybe they're a struggling small business because they waste loads of time trying to achieve completely unreasonable aims rather than focusing on their actual work.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
We make terrible purchases for products we don't need. I can't figure out why we aren't succeeding!!!!!

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

larchesdanrew posted:

I want to get it framed.

And I looked down upon them and whispered "no"

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

dogstile posted:

Post when you can!

He would have, but he was embarrassed to say his smartphone was a Buffalo.

Oh, wait! You don't need to know about that.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

blackswordca posted:

So a phone call came in.

"Hey, you guys sold us a printer in September. We decided we aren't going to use it anymore and want to return it for a refund"

Yeah.. good luck with that.

Sure. As long as you realize there is a restocking fee of 50% of the printer price....

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Samizdata posted:

Sure. As long as you realize there is a restocking fee of 50% of the printer price....

At $oldJob we had a medical supply store as a client. They had a sign at their front desk/registers that said "Any returns may have a restocking fee of 30%-100%"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Samizdata posted:

You mean 200% surely

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

dogstile posted:

I'm only 24 and every time I feel bad about how life is going I type that out, because despite me dropping out of uni and failing a ton of classes, i'm still doing pretty well in the grand scheme of things. Onwards and upwards for all, IT is very much work your way up if you're willing to work hard. I love IT. Even though i hate it. Sometimes.
Don't feel too bad bro, I spent my 20's putting myself through uni and spending years busting rear end to break into my chosen industry while working numerous lovely minimum wage temp jobs to make ends meet, I only bounced into IT by mere chance and decided to make something of myself in it.

Now I'm doing a lot better, very much an average salary but a path to something much better.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

You mean 200% surely

I was trying to be somewhat merciful to a struggling small business!

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Welp, Boss is giving a full refund plus a discount on labor for the initial setup.

I just.... I dont know.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

good job encouraging bad behavior boss man

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

blackswordca posted:

Welp, Boss is giving a full refund plus a discount on labor for the initial setup.

I just.... I dont know.

Mind if I swing by to pick up my 1/4 pound hot dog and drink (with free refill)?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Renegret posted:

Mind if I swing by to pick up my 1/4 pound hot dog and drink (with free refill)?

ok, but FYI the ice cream machine is broken

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Reagan is back, albeit in a far more cartoonish fashion from a guest artist.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

blackswordca posted:

ok, but FYI the ice cream machine is broken

I'm gonna swing by and drop off the lunch I ate yesterday. Can I get a refund?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
A ticket came in.

Manager wants one of their new employees to have access to some software for reviewing emails, sure, fine, whatever. I work the later shift so I'm the only one in the office, but whatever, I found the logon creds so I'll muddle my way through it.

So I go to see what access the other users have so I can grant the appropriate credentials and what do I find?

Dozens of people, including former freelancers, with full analytical access to emails across our entire domain including unredacted PII.

:suicide:

larchesdanrew posted:

this is fantastic though.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 26, 2018

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

larchesdanrew posted:

:laffo: amazing

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm gonna swing by and drop off the lunch I ate yesterday. Can I get a refund?

Yes, and a $25 gift card as well apparently.

edit:

Got a call for an interview with a new place, so :yotj:?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm more amazed at discounting the labour on the original install to be honest - that time can never be spent on another customer whereas at least a printer can.

It's great when the owners of lovely MSPs virtually give stuff away to certain customers for years, so convinced they are that one day they will be a big budget client rather than so used to your discounting that they just expect it.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm more amazed at discounting the labour on the original install to be honest - that time can never be spent on another customer whereas at least a printer can.

It's great when the owners of lovely MSPs virtually give stuff away to certain customers for years, so convinced they are that one day they will be a big budget client rather than so used to your discounting that they just expect it.

The constant fear of losing a client that may break you so you give more than you should and it escalates.

For my boss, on a personal level, the guy is nice and will bend over backwards for you. On a professional level, hes late paying me all the time, he shorts me hours, and constantly contradicts what his expectations are depending on what the situation is.

I can have a beer with the guy, wont be able to work with him again.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I hope you manage to find a better place. Seems some of us have some right poo poo luck.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Thanks Ants posted:

While I agree with you, I have been known to help people out in a similar way, as long as I know I can hide that entire refunded cost +20% in the next thing they pay for.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm the dollar signs in his eyes

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I think this sort of fits here as it's related to an old ticket, but not frustrating enough for the poo poo that pisses you off thread...

We're in the middle of a government project that is paid for with federal dollars. Because of this, there are very specific rules about how those dollars can be applied. In this case, only departments tied directly to the project can have full access. Ancillary departments are limited to view only access. We had a sneaking suspicion one of the counties was trying to pull one over on us/the state. Late last year as we moved into a new pilot phase of the project, they identified users as view only that previously were listed as full access. Of course, we made the changes as the users could have changed positions. They freaked out and then came up with other reasons for users such as "sure, Suzie's primary function is X, but sometimes she fills in at the front desk, so she needs full access." The state PM was not swayed by this.

Anyway, we went into that pilot phase back in October. As part of the pilot phase, new roles were created which granted users in the pilot access to new workflows for handling their workloads. For the first couple weeks of pilot, they remained in the old roles as well (providing access to old workflows), until we were asked to remove the users from the old roles.

There's a new phase of the pilot coming up, so again we need updated user lists. So, user lists were generated based on membership of the new roles. The sneaky county freaked out at the user list they were provided as two of their employees were not on the list. It appears our help desk goofed when they added one of the users on 11/20/17 and placed them in the old roles. You know, those roles that give access to the workflow that's no longer being used by their county and nothing is being routed to. So, apparently this "full access" user has been using the system for two months without access to the workflows they should need to complete their daily duties and no one said a peep until the user wasn't present on a spreadsheet. I think this pretty much confirms that the user should not have full access and the county is indeed misusing federal funds.

I'd love to bust them on this, but I've been told we're not going to say a word to even the state PM about this. They all love us more than the other vendors related to this project, so we don't want to be the bad guys. There's also the fact that they are a direct customer of ours as well (with a system where these view only users are supposed to be performing their work).

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

TheParadigm posted:

My friend did this two years ago. 10 years in the restaurant business, started studying computer science at the university here and got his first job in a rather prominent game company in about 7 months later. Having been an assistant manager of a restaurant, a bouncer and I don't even know what else gave him lots of skills in dealing with people that CS students don't usually have, at least not freshmen.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I'm the dollar signs in his eyes

I’m the presidentist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Ugato posted:

I’m the presidentist

*Presidentish