Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah, my AE2 system is post hoc. (but works fine for what it is doing atm) I could expand it, but it would be even messier than it is now. I'll work something out tomrrow.

What was this guy that took his mods off twitch mods? i have no idea what he did.

And where am i going to get stacks of chaos ore in msb2? I've got 1 sitting in a draw, so ive been somewhere where it spawns but cant for the life of me remember. And it cant have been a lot of it, and i need a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Elucent, dev of Roots, Embers, Blockcraftery.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

What does Embers actually do? I've seen it in a couple of modpacks and it looks like an incredibly obtuse version of a simple tech mod. If I jump through all these hoops and decode the cryptic and badly-organised manual I can - what, get a slightly better furnace? I don't get the point.

Also why does it put empty dungeons all over the map?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wolfsbane posted:

What does Embers actually do? I've seen it in a couple of modpacks and it looks like an incredibly obtuse version of a simple tech mod. If I jump through all these hoops and decode the cryptic and badly-organised manual I can - what, get a slightly better furnace? I don't get the point.

Also why does it put empty dungeons all over the map?

Low-tech kinda magitech tech mod, as far as I can tell. Has an interesting aesthetic, but Elucent seems to have a tendency to get a good start on mods and then move on.

Oh. Side-effect of the mods being archived is that any pack with Elucent's mods is now uninstallable until they release an update removing them.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jan 25, 2018

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Roots and Embers were cool, visually intriguing mods but had almost nothing to show for it. Both mods (but especially embers, as people who had to get through the actual tech might've learned) were pretty drat unintuitive and didn't have much in the way of rewards for all you had to put into it. The magic spells in Roots were incredibly weak and unrewarding, and you really had to build up a lot of infrastructure to get anything in Embers.

I've seen them in lots of packs, and they're pretty as hell, but I've never seen much purpose in them.

Black Pants posted:

Oh. Side-effect of the mods being archived is that any pack with Elucent's mods is now uninstallable until they release an update removing them.
Holy poo poo gently caress that guy, though.

Black Pants posted:

Also: scanning a chest scans everything in it, fyi
Well that was like my #1 wish for Thaumcraft back in the day so it's nice to see it here now, finally. Thaumcraft confirmed good again.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I don’t think Elucent is necessarily wrong when he says that “the community is bad for [him],” but it’s not because it’s incredibly toxic or horrible in this specific instance. He may be telling the truth when he says he isn’t butthurt, but it really does look like he’s upset that people don’t adore his mods as much as Thaumcraft. If he’s making mods for that reason, he should quit, because that’s not a healthy, sustainable reason to make something creative. You’re already putting yourself out there and casting a product of your blood, sweat, and tears into the void to potentially be totally ignored. Doing anything creative for attention and adoration has the potential to offer some seriously disappointing returns.

On the other hand, the last time I played around with Embers I really loved the aesthetics but the feel of using the items was just slightly off and nothing had any loving sound effects. Thaumcraft has a shitload of polish to the point that just activating the infusion altar is incredibly satisfying. If you want Thaumcraft attention you gotta put in Thaumcraft work :colbert:

On the OTHER other hand, of course I don’t find out about a loving Carpenter’s Blocks replacement for 1.12.2 until it’s pulled from CurseForge entirely :argh:

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
He may be telling the truth that he's not butthurt, but he also pulled his mods.

This is the adultnerd equivalent of packing up your toys and going home.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
There are people who upon hearing actual Eloraam Redpower coming back 100% faithfully would be totally into that. The community has historic darlings they will celebrate over returning. Seeing this reaction to Thaumcraft being completely rebuilt for a fifth time I can sympathize with disliking. It may be time for a new generation of magic mods and Roots had potential. There was just a lack of substance.

Taking your toys home over it is pretty thin skinned over these gripes.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

Roots and Embers were cool, visually intriguing mods but had almost nothing to show for it. Both mods (but especially embers, as people who had to get through the actual tech might've learned) were pretty drat unintuitive and didn't have much in the way of rewards for all you had to put into it. The magic spells in Roots were incredibly weak and unrewarding, and you really had to build up a lot of infrastructure to get anything in Embers.

I use embers blocks for decoration, they have a super unique look to them IMO.... and yeah, that's about it

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm pretty sure Elucent did something similar a few months ago for about the same reason, i.e. "people don't like me enough". I'll be curious if this sticks, given how it's going to impact a lot of major modpacks.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Wow lol. Glad I'm not using his mods. I kinda learned that he was a baby when it was discovered that he programmed laggy backdoors into his mod that made him super powerful when he joined a server with his mods on them. When called out about it he lashed out and got very defensive and butthurt, instead of, you know, taking out the useless source of lag. It scanned the inventory of every player on the server every tick to see if they held a specific item, then checked if it was him.

They make mods to compensate for something and it's not healthy.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Yeah, wow gently caress that guy. I can understand that like, thinking you're in a post-thaumcraft world and then trying to define the landscape only to have TC come back and everyone gibber madly and flock to it has to hurt the ego, but pulling all your mods off curse is pretty lovely.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah, wow gently caress that guy. I can understand that like, thinking you're in a post-thaumcraft world and then trying to define the landscape only to have TC come back and everyone gibber madly and flock to it has to hurt the ego, but pulling all your mods off curse is pretty lovely.

yeah. it's obvious the dude has issues beyond just 'crap, thaumcraft is back' when i think about it, but goddamn, pulling the mods is just a lovely and spiteful thing to do. i enjoyed the hell out of roots/astral sorcery/embers but this sort of poo poo doesn't endear me to him in the slightest

looks like my real alternative will be checking out the new thaumcraft! way to go, fuckwit!!!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Black Pants posted:

Dense cable is 32 channels, but even if you do it wirelessly a Quantum networking ring thing only carries 32 channels through it max. You can have up to as many as a 7x7x7 cube's worth of controllers and their associated faces for 32 channels each though, so you are aware.
You can't plop multiple dense cables on it?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

You can't plop multiple dense cables on it?

You can only drive 32 channels over a single quantum network bridge. However, P2P tunnels exist, which means that you can tunnel sixteen separate dense cables through the bridge for a maximum of 512 channels. (You need two channels per tunnel.) You can't nest tunnels, either.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Tunnels can go through the ME controller, so technically you only need to run 1 channel (for the exit p2p panel) through the quantum bridge.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Welp, elucent un-archived his mods but put a thing on them to say they're not being maintained anymore.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Evil Mastermind posted:

Welp, elucent un-archived his mods but put a thing on them to say they're not being maintained anymore.

That's a pretty reasonable final response, although it doesn't really erase his earlier dickishness. Like, quitting modding is absolutely his decision; I don't think he should take flack for that.

Just downloaded 'Thaumaturgy's Rebirth' modpack since it was literally the first option, has TC6 and a couple other QoL mods and saved me the trouble of doing it myself. Trip report soon.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

The epitome of :qqsay:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Astral Sorcery isn't made by Elucent and never got taken down, for what it's worth. It just got roped into that argument on Reddit.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

'wait maybe being a shitbird and literally removing all of my work from easy access was a bad idea and was nothing but spiteful'

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

He is John Galt, titan of modding. We took him for granted and now he must deprive us of his brilliance so that we can learn how much we need him.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Taffer posted:

He is John Galt, titan of modding. We took him for granted and now he must deprive us of his brilliance so that we can learn how much we need him.

Haha, and six posts up people were wondering what was it he made again?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fortis posted:

Astral Sorcery isn't made by Elucent and never got taken down, for what it's worth. It just got roped into that argument on Reddit.

Yeah see here's the thing. 'All of these great magic mods and now Thaumcraft too, man 1.12 is great for Magic mods' became 'Now that Thaumcraft is here magic mods have finally returned to Minecraft' in Elucent's mind despite that Astral Sorcery, his poo poo and some others were specifically mentioned.

And yeah, Elucent's generally pretty hostile, tends to enjoy getting into arguments about how Minecraft modding sucks now because people don't want to spend time solving problems like they did in the Buildcraft days and just want thinks handed to them, and that DE is bad because if a pack has DE and he isn't using DE armor/weapons he's actively hampering his 'success' and that feels bad.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Stupid question: is there a good/simple guide to installing shaders?

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

Stupid question: is there a good/simple guide to installing shaders?

Sonic Ether's Unbelievable Shaders [compatible with Minecraft 1.12.2 via OptiFine] and [1.6.4 - 1.12.2]Sildur's shaders [PC/MAC/INTEL] Enhanced Default v1.02 released! (January 20, 2018) both have simple instructions (Install OptiFine then copy your preferred shader ZIP to shaderpacks/ folder and select the shader in game).

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I want to add Mystical Agriculture to FTB Revelations, can I just add it to the pack via twitch, create a new world gen, and go from there?

Or do I have to dick around with Ore Dictionary.

Also, what if I want Void Ore miners to be able to produce Prosperity Ore?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

lolmer posted:

Sonic Ether's Unbelievable Shaders [compatible with Minecraft 1.12.2 via OptiFine] and [1.6.4 - 1.12.2]Sildur's shaders [PC/MAC/INTEL] Enhanced Default v1.02 released! (January 20, 2018) both have simple instructions (Install OptiFine then copy your preferred shader ZIP to shaderpacks/ folder and select the shader in game).

Oh, I didn't realize it was that simple! Thanks!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Note: having OptiFine installed can make your game poo poo the bed in weird ways that you wouldn't think would be related to shaders

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I normally like Optifine and have no real issues with it, but in Forever Stranded: Lost Souls, having Optifine installed and dying causes the Overworld dimension tps to sit around 10 (despite that you're not in the overworld) until relogging. Doesn't seem to happen without it.

I've got no loving idea.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Fortis posted:

On the OTHER other hand, of course I don’t find out about a loving Carpenter’s Blocks replacement for 1.12.2 until it’s pulled from CurseForge entirely :argh:

Wait, loving what?? Spill your secrets into my ears!

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

neogeo0823 posted:

Wait, loving what?? Spill your secrets into my ears!

Blockcraftery. And it's available again. https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/blockcraftery

I still play with Optifine because I'm a baby with a love for a very specific resourcepack that has hosed up fonts without Optifine, and I like its advanced graphics settings.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 26, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I used to use optifine during 1.7 days and the game would just run slower and slower with time until it ran slower than vanilla until I reinstalled. Since I played on a server, this wasn't an issue.

In my experience, 1.12 runs well enough to play normally without, so I play without now.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Any recomendations on a modpack to play with the new Thaumcraft?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Any recomendations on a modpack to play with the new Thaumcraft?

I picked Thaumaturgy's Rebirth and then added stuff to it until I liked it. Having fun so far, although Monster Hunter has interrupted me. Really liking TC6 so far, research is a lot more...tolerable.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I really, really don't like the 'ok here's two options, - give me some taint essentia (from what? where? Even deliberately filling a cauldron with random poo poo over and over produces nothing noticable), or give me some taint essentia + death essentia.

Occasionally the confusingly worded ones that don't actually tell you what items they want clearly always - the fact that the 'combine two vis and see how they react' wants the two base vis, but 'combine two vis and give the result' doesn't want the base vis and presumably wants the end result instead (but I haven't actually tested this yet because I was dumb and mixed the two up and was trying to input the base essentia again)

They just need to add a 'give up' button for any one hand to just waste the inspiration point if you can't see either being completable.

The ones that ask for an essentia /bottle/ are weird, because i don't ever have bottles, but it sometimes just lets me complete them randomly anyway, but sometimes it doesn't even if they have the equivalent amount in crystals.

Other than that though, it's really neat so far, and i haven't really been too inconvenienced by dead end research.

On a different note, how do you use casting foci? I have a casting glove and a flame touch foci but I can't seem to figure out what it wants me to do to make the foci castable.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Just gonna throw it out that I'd be over the moon if I heard Eloram was 100% coming back with a redpower2 remake for modern Minecraft.

Frame contraptions were very much my poo poo and I still enjoy Minecraft but I do sometimes lament how things get condensed down to single block mods.

I still very much enjoy modded minecraft but I do sometimes think that modern modpacks offer more direct solutions than the creative tools to solve the problems.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

AceClown posted:

Just gonna throw it out that I'd be over the moon if I heard Eloram was 100% coming back with a redpower2 remake for modern Minecraft.

Frame contraptions were very much my poo poo and I still enjoy Minecraft but I do sometimes lament how things get condensed down to single block mods.

I still very much enjoy modded minecraft but I do sometimes think that modern modpacks offer more direct solutions than the creative tools to solve the problems.

Funky Locomotion is similar to RP2 frames, and exists in most modern minecraft versions.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wolpertinger posted:

On a different note, how do you use casting foci? I have a casting glove and a flame touch foci but I can't seem to figure out what it wants me to do to make the foci castable.

Same way as selecting a foci in TC4, with the change focus keybind (which still isn't in its own Thaumcraft section). Then you right click with the gauntlet. Touch-Flame seems to work like using a flint and steel on things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I looked through the list of keybinds twice, but I was looking for a thaumcraft section which probably explains why I missed it.

How DO you get something with taint essentia for all these research quests anyway? Do I just keep dumping large, essentia heavy pieces of junk in the cauldron a moderately safe distance away and across a river from my base and hope something goes wrong? Or is there an easier way to make massive amounts of flux?

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 26, 2018