Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m only two episodes into my rewatch and I can’t believe how many times I echoed the “wait til episode 4” thing when this show is great from the very beginning and really not that hard to follow in the slightest. And it’s not like memory really helps because I haven’t seen these episodes in 10 years.

e: wow this post seems really douchey when I come back to it. also it undoubtedly helps that I’m aware of which characters will become important later in the series and which won’t.

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Slightly off topic but when reading through this thread (great job to everyone btw) someone posted an essay by Simon talking about how everyone imagines they'd be the one that got away if they were poor but argues that's a complete fantasy; but now I can't find it. Does anyone have that link?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

I think the Barksdales were always going to fall - any group that gets that big is gonna start drawing attention, and increasing territory means increasing "staff" which just ups the potential for things to get sloppy/hosed up. Stringer had the right idea that they reach a certain size and then use the money to go legit and become untouchable, but he approached it the wrong way with that same McNulty mentality of "I'm the smartest guy, I don't need help" and just left himself more exposed. Plus Avon would never have given up his power/reputation for legitimacy, any more than Marlo was able to even after he "won" - and of course as has been noted many times, Stringer wouldn't have gotten to that position where legitimacy was possible if if hadn't been for Avon doing "the other thing".

I think had McNulty never put a bug up the Judge's rear end, one of Avon's lieutenants would have eventually hosed up again like DeAngelo did, or gotten greedy or crossed the wrong hungry young soldier, and that would have lead to violence on the streets and the police would have been dragged in regardless. Somebody would have flipped or Avon would have made a mistake by trying to be on the frontline and end up either arrested or dead, and then we'd you'd get Prop Joe carefully exploitng Stringer's sensibilities via the New Day Co-Op like he'd probably always planned, just without Avon getting involved. If Avon was dead, Joe and Stringer would have left Marlo to hold his streets and just remained in distribution buying drugs for $1 and selling them for $2, and Joe would have quietly ended up the quiet King of East AND West Baltimore... until Cheese managed to gently caress things up for him, at least.

Cheese might have been the vehicle through which Joe got betrayed but ultimately Marlo would have found some other way to stick it to him anyways. It was always going to be a mistake to bring Marlo into the fold of the co-op. Marlo was a leader, not a follower. He would have seized on any advantage he could get over Joe.

Marlo made the same mistake with Michael, though. Michael had too much of an independent streak in him to remain unfailingly loyal to Marlo. Marlo wanted Michael in the fold because of his fearlessness and willingness to step to anyone (both attributes Marlo strove for himself) but ironically those same attributes prevented Michael from having the same type of company man style loyalty that Chris, Snoop, and O-Dog had.

At any rate if Avon had stayed out of jail and maintained his muscle it's unlikely Marlo would have been able to compete with him after the high rises went down. Avon with Slim, Wee-Bey, etc plus a much larger war chest would have been enough to drive Marlo from the streets. Even as diminished as Avon's organization was by season 3 he was still about to execute a successful hit against Marlo right up until the police raided the warehouse. And that was with Avon without his best hitters.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I forgot about “Count be wrong, they’ll gently caress you up” and now I’m broken inside

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah it is a good point to remember that Marlo survived the end of season 3 by pure luck, because Slim had his location and Avon was coming with an army to wipe him out when the police raided

StashAugustine posted:

Slightly off topic but when reading through this thread (great job to everyone btw) someone posted an essay by Simon talking about how everyone imagines they'd be the one that got away if they were poor but argues that's a complete fantasy; but now I can't find it. Does anyone have that link?

Jerusalem posted:

It has been said before, but anybody who hasn't read The Corner and Homicide: A Year In The Killing Streets owes it to themselves to do so. In The Corner in particular, Simon will reach points where he somewhat abandons the narrative/"characters" (it is a non-fiction account of real people after all) in order to go on lengthy asides/tirades about the complete failure of various elements of Government/society, puncture holes in many "common sense" solutions/beliefs and remind everybody just how hosed up things are.

His bit in the blog post about South Africa reminded me of probably my absolute favorite section from The Corner:

David Simon posted:

A war waged openly on the underclass would necessitate some self-inflicted scars, some damage to the collective soul of whatever kind of nation we think we are. And if we can't stomach that kind of horror show, perhaps the only real alternative is to keep pretending, to keep telling ourselves that it's only a matter of a stronger law or a better mousetrap or this year's model of poo poo-spinning politician swearing that he's the one to really get tough on crime.

So we ignore these dying neighborhoods, or run from them if they creep too close. In the end we know we can always cash in our chips, climb to the embassy roof and ride that last Huey to suburbia or some well-policed yuppie enclave in the best quadrants of our cities. We've got a right to walk away because it's our world; hell, we've got the tax returns to prove it.

But how far can we run from New York and Detroit, from Atlanta and Newark, from West Baltimore and East St. Louis? How many county lines must we cross before the damned of these cities will no longer follow? How many private security guards can we hire? How many motion sensors do we need? This is different, this war, and instinctively we know that retreat from it can never be total. These people that we're ready to abandon, they are not an alien foe - their tribe is our own. And these battlefields are not half a world away in places easily forgotten. This is us, America, at war with ourselves. In some weird way, this is our own manifest destiny coming back to bite us on the rear end, the pure-pedigreed descendant of all those God-fearing forefathers plunging into the wilderness, stripping the land, looking to feed off their new world, killing and being killed, opening up the east and marching west. Now, it's a twisted replay of that devouring, except that this time, we're the fodder.

We know this deep down; we read the newspapers, we watch the television. We have and they have not, and therefore, they need us. They need us so badly that they'll cross the lines and dodge the rent-a-cops and climb any wall we build. And in the end, there is no real surprise when you hear that your neighbor's car is gone. Or that the counter guy at the local 7-Eleven got aced in a robbery last night. Or that someone you work with pulled up to the pumps at the Route 32 Exxon and got carjacked. There should be no surprise when you come to that hideous moment for which you've spent a lifetime preparing, when you or someone you love walks down the wrong block, or into the wrong parking garage. In an instant, the illusions are obliterated and the reckoning - their reckoning - is yours as well.

Thirty years gone and now the drug corner is the center of its own culture. On Fayette Street, the drugs are no longer what they sell or use, but who they are. We may have begun by fighting a war on drugs, but now we're beating down those who use them. And along Fayette Street, the enemy is everywhere, so that what began as a wrongheaded tactical mission has been transformed into slow-motion civil war. If we never seriously contemplate alternatives, if we forever see the order of battle in terms of arrests and prisons and lawyers, then perhaps we deserve three more decades of failure.

In the end, we'll blame them, we always do.

And why the hell not? They've ignored our warning and sanctions, they've taken our check-day bribe and done precious little with it, they've turned our city streets into drug bazaars. Why shouldn't they take the blame?

If it was us, if it was our lonesome rear end shuffling past the corner of Monroe and Fayette every day, we'd get out, wouldn't we? We'd endure. Succeed. Thrive. No matter what, no matter how, we'd find the loving exit.

If it was our fathers firing dope and our mothers smoking coke, we'd pull ourselves past it. We'd raise ourselves, discipline ourselves, teach ourselves the essentials of self-denial and delayed gratification that no one in our universe ever demonstrated. And if home was the rear room of some rancid, three-story shooting gallery, we'd rise about that too. We'd shuffle up the stairs past nodding fiends and sullen dealers, shut the bedroom door, turn off the television, and do our schoolwork. Algebra amid the stench of burning rock; American history between police raids. And if there was no food on the table, we're certain we could deal with that. We'd lie about our age to cut taters and spill grease and sling fries at the sub shop for five-and-change-an-hour, walking every day past the corner where friends are making our daily wage in ten minutes.

No matter. We'd persevere, wouldn't we? We'd work that job by night and go to class by day, by some miracle squeezing a quality education from the disaster that is the Baltimore school system. We'd do all the work, we'd pay whatever the price. And when all the other children are out in the street, learning the corner world, priming themselves for the only life they've ever known, we'd be holed up in some shithole of a rowhouse with our textbooks and yellow highlighter, cramming for finals. Come payday, we wouldn't blow that minimum-wage check on Nikes, or Fila sweat suits, or Friday night movies at Harbor Park with the neighborhood girls. No loving way, brother, because we pulled self-esteem out of a dark hole somewhere and damned if our every desire isn't absolutely in check. We don't need to buy any status; no, we can save every last dollar, or invest it, maybe. And in the end, we know, we'll head off to our college years shining like a new dime, swearing never to set foot on West Fayette Street again.

That's the myth of it, the required lie that allows us to render our judgments. Parasites, criminals, dope fiends, dope peddlers, whores - when we can ride past them at Fayette and Monroe, car doors locked, our field of vision cautiously restricted to the road ahead, then the long journey into darkness is underway. Pale-skinned hillbillies and hard faced yos, toothless white trash and gold-front gangsters - when we can glide on and feel only fear, we're well on the way. And if, after a time, we can glimpse the spectacle of the corner and manage nothing beyond loathing and contempt, then we've arrived at last at that naked place where a man finally sees the sense in stretching razor wire and building barracks and directing cattle cards into the compound.

It's a reckoning of another kind, perhaps, and one that becomes a possibility only through the arrogance and certainty that so easily accompanies a well-planned and well-tended life. We know ourselves; from what we value most, we grant ourselves the illusion that it's not chance and circumstance, that opportunity itself isn't the defining issue. We want the high ground; we want our own worth to be acknowledged. Morality, intelligence, values - we want those things measured and counted. We want it to be about Us.

Yes, if we were down there, if we were the damned of the American cities, we would not fail. We would rise above the corner. And when we tell ourselves such things, we unthinkingly assume that we would be consigned to places like Fayette Street fully equipped, with all the graces, talents and training that we now possess. Our parents would still be our parents, our teachers still our teachers, our broker still our broker. Amid the stench of so much defeat and despair, we would kick fate in the teeth and claim our deserved victory. We would escape to live the life we were supposed to live, the life we are living now. We would be saved, and as it always is in matters of salvation, we know this as a matter of perfect, pristine, faith.

Why? The truth is plain:

We were not born to be niggers.

Seriously, buy these books and read them.

SERIOUSLY. Buy these books and read them.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Ginette Reno posted:

Cheese might have been the vehicle through which Joe got betrayed but ultimately Marlo would have found some other way to stick it to him anyways. It was always going to be a mistake to bring Marlo into the fold of the co-op. Marlo was a leader, not a follower. He would have seized on any advantage he could get over Joe.

Marlo made the same mistake with Michael, though. Michael had too much of an independent streak in him to remain unfailingly loyal to Marlo. Marlo wanted Michael in the fold because of his fearlessness and willingness to step to anyone (both attributes Marlo strove for himself) but ironically those same attributes prevented Michael from having the same type of company man style loyalty that Chris, Snoop, and O-Dog had.

At any rate if Avon had stayed out of jail and maintained his muscle it's unlikely Marlo would have been able to compete with him after the high rises went down. Avon with Slim, Wee-Bey, etc plus a much larger war chest would have been enough to drive Marlo from the streets. Even as diminished as Avon's organization was by season 3 he was still about to execute a successful hit against Marlo right up until the police raided the warehouse. And that was with Avon without his best hitters.

Respectfully disagree. Prop Joe was in the game for a long rear end time and he did it by staying humble and staying alert. Cheese was his weak spot because he was family. One has to assume that Joe didn't have all that many lieutenants that he kept on such a loose leash. One of the themes of The Wire for me is that while things are cyclical, they are not repetitive- certain old ways of doing things, social norms, etc., exist for a while and then they are used as weapons by those desperate or underhanded enough to wield them. Think of Bunk's speech to Omar about the way things were when they were growing up and how things have gotten so much worse, or the attempted hit on Sunday, or Omar being unable to see a child as a deadly threat. Times do change and whatever code of conduct exists out there, it's just another way for someone to get at you.

This is one of those moments for me- Joe values family and his old fashioned ways are his undoing. Cheese was THE way to get to him.

EDIT: Charles killing him in the end is so satisfying because the viewer wants to believe there is a code to the street. To some degree there is, but it's only as powerful as the sum total of all who choose to practice it.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 17, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Unzip and Attack posted:

Respectfully disagree. Prop Joe was in the game for a long rear end time and he did it by staying humble and staying alert. Cheese was his weak spot because he was family. One has to assume that Joe didn't have all that many lieutenants that he kept on such a loose leash. One of the themes of The Wire for me is that while things are cyclical, they are not repetitive- certain old ways of doing things, social norms, etc., exist for a while and then they are used as weapons by those desperate or underhanded enough to wield them. Think of Bunk's speech to Omar about the way things were when they were growing up and how things have gotten so much worse, or the attempted hit on Sunday, or Omar being unable to see a child as a deadly threat. Times do change and whatever code of conduct exists out there, it's just another way for someone to get at you.

This is one of those moments for me- Joe values family and his old fashioned ways are his undoing. Cheese was THE way to get to him.

EDIT: Charles killing him in the end is so satisfying because the viewer wants to believe there is a code to the street. To some degree there is, but it's only as powerful as the sum total of all who choose to practice it.

You don't think Marlo would have eventually found a way anyways? The minute Joe brought Marlo into the fold he sealed his doom imo. It was just a matter of when. Cheese was a definite blind spot, and probably the worst one Joe had, but Joe was hosed from the start imo because he made the same mistake Stringer did of trying to control Marlo by bringing him into the fold. Marlo was never going to bow to anyone else. Joe thought he could earn some respect and loyalty from Marlo by teaching him the business, but as Marlo said he wasn't made to play the son.

Avon understood Marlo because he was the only who thought anything like him.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I think Joe had way more support than Marlo did among the rank and file, and would have won in an open war with Marlo. The only way for Marlo to get to Joe was through Cheese, because the show gives us no indication that anyone else in the entire co-op would have turned on Joe. I mean poo poo, Joe was so popular that Cheese gets blasted months later in pure retribution by someone who wasn't even one of Joe's guys.

Marlo pulled a definite coup when he got to Cheese, and I just don't think Marlo would have been able to pull it off any other way. I don't think Joe doubted that Marlo was dangerous or would come at him- he just didn't think Cheese would be the rat.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't know if Marlo would have done it via open war but if he did I'm not sure how many would have rallied to Joe's defense. Most of those other dealers were likely terrified of Marlo.

Regardless of how he did it I just think it was inevitable he'd have found a way. He wouldn't have stopped trying if his attempts with Cheese didn't bear fruit. He would have succeeded eventually I think.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looking up the ages of some of the actors and man it's insane that Idris Elba was only 29-30 during season 1. And Andre Royo was 33-34. drat.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah it is a good point to remember that Marlo survived the end of season 3 by pure luck, because Slim had his location and Avon was coming with an army to wipe him out when the police raided

Seriously, buy these books and read them.

SERIOUSLY. Buy these books and read them.
[/quote]

Yes a million times yes. I tell everyone I know that The Corner should be on their bucket list.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Picked up Homicide. I haven’t finished a book in awhile due to ADHD and whatnot, so I’m excited to start this and put it down.

For all the non-subtitled foreign speech, I’m surprised there’s been no fan project to translate what’s being said to get an idea of what’s being discussed in front of people. Not just the Greek and crew, but Baba Jani and his co-worker.

EDIT: 4th season always bums me out on a rewatch. Just knowing where everyone lands, such a downer.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 23, 2018

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
Whenever Baltimore PD makes the news, especially for poo poo like this, I instinctively mutter "God drat it, McNulty."

Baltimore Police Officer Indicted On Charges Of Misconduct, Fabricating Evidence (NPR)

EDIT: Corrected URL. Thanks for the catch, Whiz Palace.

animeluva1 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 25, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
goddamn fuckin Ziggy is such a dipshit

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

animeluva1 posted:

Whenever Baltimore PD makes the news, especially for poo poo like this, I instinctively mutter "God drat it, McNulty."

Baltimore Police Officer Indicted On Charges Of Misconduct, Fabricating Evidence (NPR)

Here's the article. And it's not really a McNulty-level screwup, more like a shitbag beat cop thing, like something Walker would do before he robbed some kids.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Whiz Palace posted:

Here's the article. And it's not really a McNulty-level screwup, more like a shitbag beat cop thing, like something Walker would do before he robbed some kids.

Yeah that’s more a walker or colichio thing. Mcnulty, for all his faults, wasn’t dishonest or corrupt to the detriment of the community, as far as I can remember (season 5 is um...a gray area, I guess)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Weird when you get to the end of season 2 and there are 2 musical montages in 2 episodes (not including the end-season one, these are in eps 10/11)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah that’s more a walker or colichio thing. Mcnulty, for all his faults, wasn’t dishonest or corrupt to the detriment of the community, as far as I can remember (season 5 is um...a gray area, I guess)
*bunk hearing about copycat killer face*

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

*bunk hearing about copycat killer face*

Ok, very dark gray

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Mcnulty was well-intentioned at the very least, he believed he was acting in his community's interest, I don't think walker could hide behind even that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The thing that really gets to me is:

quote:

Former Baltimore Police Commissioner Kevin Davis had suggested it was also possible that officers were simply re-creating the finding of drugs that "they had already discovered, in order to document their discovery with their body-worn cameras on.

:sigh:

But then underneath that I read:

quote:

Davis was fired last week, as Baltimore's mayor criticized him for failing to reduce the city's homicide rate.

And I just get angry all over again for different reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt0xkap-m6Y

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m only two episodes into my rewatch and I can’t believe how many times I echoed the “wait til episode 4” thing when this show is great from the very beginning and really not that hard to follow in the slightest. And it’s not like memory really helps because I haven’t seen these episodes in 10 years.

e: wow this post seems really douchey when I come back to it. also it undoubtedly helps that I’m aware of which characters will become important later in the series and which won’t.

On my 3rd rewatch and up to the gently caress, motherfucker, gently caress me, fucker episode.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

I just pulled out season 3, and I'm cracking up at (s03e06? spoiler)Shamrock taking the minutes at the co-op meeting because he read it in Robert's Rules of Order.

E: This is a rewatch so don't sweat it, I appreciate it. Gonna fix the spoiler up here just in case.

puppets freak me out fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 6, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

And of course later on Stringer thinks he's doing it again, but he's just doodling because he's bored :)

:smith:

Edit: Just realized I wasn't sure if this was a rewatch or you just got to season 3, so spoilers to be on the safe side

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Season 3 is really loving funny. I think maybe it is my second favourite after all.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

puppets freak me out posted:

I just pulled out season 3, and I'm cracking up at (s03e06? spoiler)Shamrock taking the minutes at the co-op meeting because he read it in Robert's Rules of Order.

E: This is a rewatch so don't sweat it, I appreciate it. Gonna fix the spoiler up here just in case.

It's been a while since a watch but wasn't it string who told him to do it or did Sham pick it up himself.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Escobarbarian posted:

Season 3 is really loving funny. I think maybe it is my second favourite after all.

What was your read before? It's 43215 if you want to be right :smug:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it’s either 43215 or 42315 depending on how I’m feeling

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
It’s definitely 4 then 3, and 5 as the worst. 1 and 2 are about equal for me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Guys guys guys it's all totally subjective.... wait wait, you didn't order it 4-2-1-3-5? You motherfuckers....

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
The Ringer's done a short excerpt from the upcoming oral history of the show, dealing with season three in particular. My favourite part is how Aiden Gillen got the role of Carcetti: “Okay, this is the deal. You were Bob Colesberry’s last casting call, so whether we really wanted you or not, we had to give you the job.”

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Jerusalem posted:

Guys guys guys it's all totally subjective.... wait wait, you didn't order it 4-2-1-3-5? You motherfuckers....

As long as everyone agrees on 4 and 5 we can be cool about this.

If not I'll loving cut you.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Orange Devil posted:

As long as everyone agrees on 4 and 5 we can be cool about this.

If not I'll loving cut you.

Pretty sure Simon prefers 5 to 1

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Who the gently caress does he think he is

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Well what does he know?

Plus he's noted as a haver of bad opinions about capitalism and what is to be done about it. He gets so close to really getting it, but he's just not quite there.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Ive been told he likes to suck the dick of capitalism.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
Season 2 is the best season of the show and it’s not even close.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The official ranking is:

2 (rewatch)
5 (good parts)
2 (first time)
5 (including newspaper and serial killer plot)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Season 4 is the greatest season of television in history. Which makes this the greatest scene in the history of all of television:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDpvkwBBu6U

God I love this scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's been a while since a watch but wasn't it string who told him to do it or did Sham pick it up himself.

I'm not sure if there's any earlier mention of it, it's more of an offhand comment, the implication being that Stringer told him off camera to read it because that's how he thinks legitimate businesses do things. Stringer sees Shamrock taking notes and asks "What the gently caress is this." Shamrock answers "The Robert Rules say we gotta take minutes at a meeting. These the minutes." I'd just never caught it before and found it really funny.

Also, drat near any ranking of the seasons is right as long as season 5 is last. Not because it's bad, it's just less fantastic.

We doing spoiler tags in this thread?

puppets freak me out fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 7, 2018