Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Both of these content videos have explained nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Popete posted:

Both of these content videos have explained nothing.

The first explained the various factions and various quest types.

The second explained they have a live event system with dynamic and seasonal events in game, not just static content.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

There is wind, there is hoisting and lowering and angling multiple sales, anchors, storms, etc. That part of the game is handled very well and the way the ships buck and heave with the water is the best.

Thanks!

poo poo I want this game so bad. Gonna wait for release though.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ehud posted:

What did you feel was grindy? :confused:

It's like the exact opposite of a grindy game. There are no levels or skills or equipment other than cosmetics and consumables

Seemed like all I saw was people doing npc missions and fighting npcs to get gold or whatnot... That's cool, I'd probably still play that a little, but was hoping for open world PVP or something?

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

soy posted:

Seemed like all I saw was people doing npc missions and fighting npcs to get gold or whatnot... That's cool, I'd probably still play that a little, but was hoping for open world PVP or something?
You might have just been watching streams where people avoided PVP. It's definitely there, if you encounter another ship in game it's completely up to you if you want to attack it in a sweet sea battle, sneak on board and steal the treasure/sabotage the ship, or lay in wait at a nearby outpost to ambush them when they try to cash in their chests.

In my experience you run into other players fairly often but not constantly.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

You might have just been watching streams where people avoided PVP. It's definitely there, if you encounter another ship in game it's completely up to you if you want to attack it in a sweet sea battle, sneak on board and steal the treasure/sabotage the ship, or lay in wait at a nearby outpost to ambush them when they try to cash in their chests.

In my experience you run into other players fairly often but not constantly.

Well that sounds amazing. I am a bit nervous ubisoft is behind this but gently caress it, here's hoping it's good.

I will wait for release if only because I have no free time.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Boarding a boat, killing the crew and loading it with explosive barrels is pretty good. Also if you crew on my ship you better know your proper nautical terms or else you’ll be tied to the mast as an example for the rest :colbert:

Orv
May 4, 2011

soy posted:

Well that sounds amazing. I am a bit nervous ubisoft is behind this but gently caress it, here's hoping it's good.

Ubisoft has nothing to do with it, you're thinking of Skull and Bones or whatever it is.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

soy posted:

You can also just steal their dang ship. Not that there's any benefit to doing so besides being a colossal rear end in a top hat :getin:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Our team last night said left and right for about 5 minutes before we went full port/starboard

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ehud posted:

Here is another content related video about their live campaigns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I37izw_-Jg

It's from last May and kind of vague, but maybe gives some insight into the amount of other content they're working on that we haven't seen yet.

This is super vague and doesn't really say anything other than "we're going to have live events that don't need to be downloaded," but nothing about what they could be. It's all terrible PR bullshit.

How big can crews be and what's stopping larger crews from destroying smaller ones just because they have larger numbers?

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

s.i.r.e. posted:

How big can crews be and what's stopping larger crews from destroying smaller ones just because they have larger numbers?

Nothing? That is how superior numbers work in just about everything?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

s.i.r.e. posted:

This is super vague and doesn't really say anything other than "we're going to have live events that don't need to be downloaded," but nothing about what they could be. It's all terrible PR bullshit.

I agree it's vague. I'm just posting it to say that they do have a system in place to provide content that isn't static fetch quests.

Crews are up to four. Smaller ship maneuvers are the only thing preventing you from getting wrecked.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Watched like 2 hours of a stream of this. Felt like I had seen everything the game has to offer.
60 bucks is a horrible price point for this poo poo.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Givin posted:

Watched like 2 hours of a stream of this. Felt like I had seen everything the game has to offer.
60 bucks is a horrible price point for this poo poo.

You haven't because it's literally not in game right now.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Neat. Maybe they can make it worth 60 bucks then. Until then, Blackwake lite.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

It is a true statement that the demo we are playing is not worth 60 dollars.

It is also a true statement that the demo we are playing is not the game that comes out in March.

These are my bold opinions.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Givin posted:

Neat. Maybe they can make it worth 60 bucks then. Until then, Blackwake lite.

Yes, both of these games have boats.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ehud posted:

I agree it's vague. I'm just posting it to say that they do have a system in place to provide content that isn't static fetch quests.

Crews are up to four. Smaller ship maneuvers are the only thing preventing you from getting wrecked.

Oh cool, I thought crews could go like 6+. That's not bad then.

The Big D
Oct 3, 2002
I was able to just update my existing technical alpha and it worked fine surprisingly. My Xbox ID is Das13D and ill be in the discord with the same name for some thieving this weekend. I'm really only playing this for the water effects but hopefully there's more to come since it looks like a nice game to build upon.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Currently its 1, 2, and 4 person crews. From playing last night i can say with the smaller ships (the 1 or 2 crew ones) you're able to get away from the bigger ships a lot quicker. Also, the 4 player ship is much harder to play unless everyone is working as a team. With 3 sails to work, a slower anchor, 4 cannons, and tacking, everyone has to be on the same page to get them working efficiently. Just one person shooting himself out of a cannon nonstop can really slow you down.

The Big D fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 26, 2018

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm finally not too early.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Boarding a boat, killing the crew and loading it with explosive barrels is pretty good. Also if you crew on my ship you better know your proper nautical terms or else you’ll be tied to the mast as an example for the rest :colbert:

How does loading with explosive barrels work?

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

There are red explosive barrels you can find. Literally bring the poo poo onto someone's boat and shoot it. Preferably below deck.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Ehud posted:

It is also a true statement that the demo we are playing is not the game that comes out in March.

Big if true.

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

There are red explosive barrels you can find. Literally bring the poo poo onto someone's boat and shoot it. Preferably below deck.

Do boats respawn, or do they just have to restart?

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 26, 2018

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Can I uninstall this xbox insider poo poo once the game is installed or do I need to have it open everytime I play?

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

squidgee posted:

Big if true.

Do boats respawn, or do they just have to restart?

When your ship sinks or when it is sufficiently far away a mermaid/merman spawns and it will send you back to your ship (or place you on a new ship).

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://clips.twitch.tv/IntelligentShinyButterflySMOrc

sorry for the double voice

we were doing in game proximity voice to taunt this guy and my brother was also in discord

Anyways we've been fighting this guy all night. He's amazing.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope
So...any of y'all got, like, an invite or something? How does one get into this if this is the first they're seeing of it?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

TracerBullet posted:

So...any of y'all got, like, an invite or something? How does one get into this if this is the first they're seeing of it?

You have to preorder the game to get access

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I had to do that dumb cancel pre-order thing to get the beta to work.

On the plus side I can now play the beta and my pre-order is already cancelled!

Only played for a short time but it's really pretty, the sailing feels really good. I just sailed around and explored for a bit cause the adventure vendor was broke, I didn't find anything all that interesting or at least all the wrecks and islands I went to just had barrels of cannonballs and bananas.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope

Ehud posted:

You have to preorder the game to get access

It's seriously Windows 10 only? This ain't gonna work with Windows 7? :(

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Just ran into a crew of 4 as we unloaded 8 chests. Instead of killing us they played a jig and told us, "Always remember who ye friends are!"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I spent 30 minutes in the solo boat fighting another dude in a solo boat. I was kicking his butt, laying round after round into him I hand to of landed at least 10-12 shots and he would not sink. Eventually he crashed into an island and I jumped out were we fought with pistols/swords and he eventually killed me.

The combat swords/pistol is kinda wonky, it doesn't feel very good. The ship combat is a lot of fun but I felt like putting that many rounds into him should have sunk him, at one point he had given up and was sitting still with no sails and I pulled up next to him unloading on him and he still wouldn't go down.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What're the consequences of your ship going under, I mean I guess your loot is available for others to steal, but what happens to you? Do you just wash ashore somewhere and wait for your boat to spawn back?

Also, does anyone have a stream or video of starting the game off from the very beginning and crewing up with your friends?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Thats the other thing, you can get into a long protracted fight like I did and it was all for nothing. They should have some kinda bounty system, the more people you kill the higher the bounty on your head and people can hunt you down.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Ehud posted:

I have legit never seen a game change significantly between beta and release and is largely just early access marketing, hiding content during the beta is always code for "it isn't ready yet and it will not be bugtested by anyone before release, I would not go into this game expecting it to be massively expanded on within 2 months.

That said, I like what I see and the water effects alone nearly sold me.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Alright how do I actually use instruments? I see them in the equipment chest but don't know how to use them.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Regarding consequences for losing battles - right now it appears to just be loot, but losing loot is a bigger deal as you get further into the game. We started doing higher reputation quests tonight and one of them took almost two hours and involved 12 chests.

We actually decided to stop at 8 chests and went back to port to sell before getting the final 4 because we were so paranoid about losing our loot.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
we hauled in around 4k tonight. about 3500 of that was from just being pirates and killing/boarding others we'd found at sea. also, learned how to aim the cannon properly to kill the person at the helm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Popete posted:

I spent 30 minutes in the solo boat fighting another dude in a solo boat. I was kicking his butt, laying round after round into him I hand to of landed at least 10-12 shots and he would not sink. Eventually he crashed into an island and I jumped out were we fought with pistols/swords and he eventually killed me.

The combat swords/pistol is kinda wonky, it doesn't feel very good. The ship combat is a lot of fun but I felt like putting that many rounds into him should have sunk him, at one point he had given up and was sitting still with no sails and I pulled up next to him unloading on him and he still wouldn't go down.

If a hit isn't below the waterline or directly on a crew member it doesn't do poo poo.