Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
E. I really want to go with B, but I feel like we really don't want to be in a situation where our blade has dissipated and we don't have another weapon easily on-hand.

Changed to B below.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I agree, E

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

You're not entirely certain what sort of spell is about to be thrown at you, but you're fairly certain that throwing it back in their faces will give you enough time to pick up the jagged bar of a cell or have one of the other prisoners hand you a sword. That said, E does not preclude you from having also studied the skills mentioned in B, which will come up for a later vote if not chosen here.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

F. Nothing personnel, kid.

e: vote changed to D

HBar fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 26, 2018

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Also notable: This is not the full list of strange abilities you might know, just the ones that would be easily applicable in this situation. Others will come up later.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Magnusth posted:

You're not entirely certain what sort of spell is about to be thrown at you, but you're fairly certain that throwing it back in their faces will give you enough time to pick up the jagged bar of a cell or have one of the other prisoners hand you a sword. That said, E does not preclude you from having also studied the skills mentioned in B, which will come up for a later vote if not chosen here.

Hm! This really tempts me. I may need to think on this a little. For now, I'm going to leave up my E vote. Is preferential voting a thing in this CYOA? I don't remember if this was discussed.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

unimportantguy posted:

Hm! This really tempts me. I may need to think on this a little. For now, I'm going to leave up my E vote. Is preferential voting a thing in this CYOA? I don't remember if this was discussed.

No, but you're welcome to revote as blocks form and some choices gain popularity.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

NANI?!

F

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Goddamnit, i forgot my cool, awesome, interesting joke option! brb, editing post!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Also, the post originally read "emancipated-looking", which is technically accurate but :laffo:

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Wait, does F mean appear behind them and then strike with the sehai, or does the teleportation itself count as the stroke that's likely to be the last one?

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

HBar posted:

Wait, does F mean appear behind them and then strike with the sehai, or does the teleportation itself count as the stroke that's likely to be the last one?

The teleportation itself is likely to be the last stroke. Note that this does not place you directly behind the mage, but behind the group as a whole. You likely have a couple of seconds at the very least to act before they realize what happend, time in which you can probably disarm the rearmost of the warriors and grab his weapon

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
B i like the idea of geeking the mages

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
D Appearing in multiple places at once and cutting down all enemies simultaneously is a sweet move.

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

B, curse-cutting blade best-cutting blade.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

It is forgotten, for it sunk old Yokuda. You do not know it. All who knew it perished, and their memory-stones had that knowledge chipped of and thrown in the sea. You cannot even hold it in threat

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Ok, in that case I'm switching from F to D

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

F is pretty great. It also fits in with our sneaky past. B could be a waste since the spell could be defensive or otherwise not projected towards us. D would be great, but I'd like for us to have more than one fancy trick available to us.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Magnusth posted:

unbind bound daedra

sounds dangerous as gently caress, B

Magnusth posted:

It is forgotten, for it sunk old Yokuda. You do not know it. All who knew it perished, and their memory-stones had that knowledge chipped of and thrown in the sea. You cannot even hold it in threat

see this is the kind of poo poo that happens when you try to cut atoms. Assholes.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

B :hellyeah:

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

The lie-cutting stoke, the chain-breaker, the magicka mirror, B

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I gotta say that magic counterspell mind sword sounds sick as hell.

B

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Magnusth posted:

I'm not changing my vote, I made it and I like it :colbert:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Someday we'll split the atom, but not today.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Blasphemaster posted:

F is pretty great. It also fits in with our sneaky past. B could be a waste since the spell could be defensive or otherwise not projected towards us. D would be great, but I'd like for us to have more than one fancy trick available to us.

While you're no mage, you have received some training in recognizing different kinds of spells by the postures of the casters. This is aggressive, projective, very unlikely to be a defensive spell. It could be many things, but these seem to be nomads from the alik'r desert, who are among the most traditional redguards in hammerfell, and despise most magic except healing and spells of wind, sand, or fire. So while it could be some illusion or a summoning spell, or some other sorcerous trick, that seems highly unlikely

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
The mage could be casting conjuration and plan to toss it at the ground next to us or the same with fireball.

F

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Nyaa posted:

The mage could be casting conjuration and plan to toss it at the ground next to us or the same with fireball.

F

An alik'r sorcerer sumnoning daedra would almost certainly be shunned and exiled, if not cut down where they stand. In either case, howevever, you would be able to turn a fireball aimed like that back at the mage, and cut a summoning spell in half before anything manifests, or, with much less confidence, turn the spell against the summoner but with the controlling bonds cut.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

After thinking about it for a day, I'm changing my vote to B. Previous post edited to reflect this.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

There's a swishing, shushing sound as magica coalaces into a spell, and a scorching-hot wind with flesh-ripping, bone-scouring sand blows down the hallway, towards you and your new allies' bare flesh.
And you sword-sing. That word has many meanings; it can mean to do battle, to fight, to practice swordsmanship in general, and the specific techniques of the redguard sword-singers in particular. Many use it of the more mystical abilities, the abarrant swordsmanship, of your tradition, but to you, mystical and ‘mundane' swordsmanship alike is simply flowing with the notes of the world, and adding your own.

You sword-sing.
To the people around you, you seem to somehow, impossibly, catch a scorcing, sandy wind on your blade, and, with an arcing swing and a flashing light, send it back towards your enemies.

But to you, much more is happening. With less than a second to act, you bring up your blade. You hear, not with your ears, but with a trained mind and calm spirit, the complex notes that underlies the mage's casting, and to counter them you shake the blade Just So, while tapping the sword Just So with your thumb. But that's just the physical part; your soul sings as well, as you hold first one, then two and three notes in your mind; and mind, soul and sword becomes one, your sehai being the perfect instrument for your sword-song, and…

It is the Magicka-mirror, the lie-turner; a pure note that turns the cacophony of your enemy's spell, and with it, your sehai fades.

In any case, whether one sees a sword impossibly turning the wind, or as you, hear and know the lie-turner, the practical result is the same. Your enemy is tossed violently back , slamming into the wall and each other. Their desert clothes and armor protectcs them to some degree from the sand and heat, but even so, you see ripped cotton and leather, scrapes and deep cuts from the sand, especially along the face, hands, and arms, and they either slumped over or leaning heavily on the walls or each other. Your allies. Do'Zaro and one of the redguards you freed, seem to have taken it as a sign, and are charging the few steps between you and your foe; they will definitely be upon them before the alik'r warriors can regain their composure and position or mount much of any real defense. Well, except the spellsword, who seems to be the least affected by getting his spell thrown back into his face. Perhaps he has some spell protecting him? Or perhaps he is simply used to hot wind and scouring sands.

What do you do?
A:
I turn over the dead guard and grab his sword. He is an imperial, and his sword is a gladius. Shorter than the scimitars you prefer, but still suited to your style of speed and agility. This will take a few moments and take your attention of your enemy, but even if they weren't about to be pummbled by 300 pounds of fast-moving, super strong cat, you'd probably still have time, and, well, they are about to be pummeled by 300 pounds of angry cat.

B: I grab a severed metal bar from the floor. A poor weapon, and would be almost impossible to practice your more impossible forms of swordsmanship with it, but you don't have to take your eyes off your oponents for even a moment, and you could likely still beat a single alik'r warrior in single combat with it, though you don't fancy your chances against multiple opponents.

C: I ask the redguard next to me, who isn't charging, for his sword. Should be quick and easy, and his sword is a scimitar, the perfect weapon for my style. If he hands it to me, of course.

D: I try to summon the sehai again, but in the space of a few seconds. This is patently rediculous and i'm nearly certain i can't, but i try anyway. Who knows, perhaps that strange mystic help you had helps you again?

E: I charge without a sword. They are in disarray, and i have two friends with me; i should be able to kick or punch one of them and grab their sword. I'm unarmed and unarmored and they have swords, so it's certainly a strategy with some risk, but concidering the situation, it's far from suicidal.

F: E, but i charge in and shoulder tackle the mage in particular. That's more dangerous, as he seems to be the one most composed and ready to fight.

G: I'm a maiden of battle without a sword, and in no armor. I dive into an open cell to stay in cover while the giant khajit and the other prisoner take care of the battle. I mean, they're two against 5, and don't have any armor, but i'm sure it'll be fine.

H: Something else! Write in.

Something else: I'm changing the voting rule for this question and all questions going forward.
I'm instituting Approval voting. All that means to you is that instead of just voting for one option, you can, and should, vote for as many as you feel like. If you like both A, D, and F are fine by you, you can vote for all three of those. If only G looks right to you, however, you're also free to just vote for G.

On another note, i think we have some lurkers with us, and i'd like to encurage you to vote, even if you're not sure what the best option is. The more people are voting and discussing the votes, the more fun it is for everyone.

Magnusth fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 27, 2018

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
:woop: Approval voting!

In honor of our new voting system, AC.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

:patriot:

ABEF

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

AC

I don't care how we get it, but sword lady needs a sword.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Brain Candy posted:

AC

I don't care how we get it, but sword lady needs a sword.

Truth. Also it's SWORD LADY.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hexenritter posted:

Truth. Also it's SWORD LADY.

If you're voting for something you're quoting, please indicate so in Bold

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Magnusth posted:

If you're voting for something you're quoting, please indicate so in Bold

Whoops. AC

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
ABC

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

AC

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
ACH

H being: "what the hell are you idiots trying to do here!? Speak up or bite it."

Also hopefully if we grab a sword off a guy they'll have the presence of mind to grab the guard's that we didn't grab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

AC

• Locked thread