Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
There's one final boss that can really hurt a cantrip deck, so having some kind of backup plan built into your deck can make a difference.

I only have 1 win on each character so far :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

For card removal, here are about two hits from events per floor, plus the merchant, plus Neow occasionally.

The real poo poo is if you get the Peace Pipe.

Removing a card is a much stronger play than anything except getting a build-defining relic. Cards are everywhere.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Excessively thin decks get hosed hard by status cards though. I usually add anything worth playing early on, then start cutting when relics etc begin to flow.

The peace pipe and shovel are so god drat good

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Got a second win of both classes. Think I'm going to stop trying to play turtling builds as Silent though and start going more aggressive.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
On one hand I hate how weak the silent's relic is. On the other hand, trading it in can rule a whole lot.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I traded the Silent's relic once and got the thing that gives you +1 energy but you can't get gold. That...was an unsuccessful run.

How do you guys maintain Silent's defense on Act 3 if you didn't luck into Dex? No matter how much I block, I can't keep up against the poo poo on that level. God forbid there are two shits on that level.

Edit: I would kill for a card that poisons and blocks.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 25, 2018

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

please knock Mom! posted:

Excessively thin decks get hosed hard by status cards though.

Not if it's an exhaust deck! With an exhaust deck, status cards can become just another resource to burn.

i have not yet won with an exhaust deck mostly due to lack of opportunity. If you don't get some of the core cards early on, just go for a more standard deck really.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

I traded the Silent's relic once and got the thing that gives you +1 energy but you can't get gold. That...was an unsuccessful run.

How do you guys maintain Silent's defense on Act 3 if you didn't luck into Dex? No matter how much I block, I can't keep up against the poo poo on that level. God forbid there are two shits on that level.

Edit: I would kill for a card that poisons and blocks.

Just got another win in my streak with doing exactly that, trading my Silent starter for the +1 energy but no gold. I went to the first vendor to remove a card from my deck and then skipped every other. I built my deck around generic decent cards like Backflips and Sucker Punch in act 1, then moved into some poison and deck cycling in act2/3. Got the Vampire event also which let me be super aggressive about taking on elites as I could slowplay normal fights to heal myself back up. It wasn't a super powerful deck, but Backflips are absurdly powerful and can carry just about any Silent deck into the later parts of the game.

If you're feeling weak in act 3 you want to take as many ? stages as possible and avoid elites. I've found poison gets much stronger then also as most of the fights take way more turns unless your deck is extremely strong. Lots of weaken is good also, even more so if you luck into that OP relic that makes it 50% reduction.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
So is the relic trade the "typical" choice at the start then for Silent?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't know what people are saying about Ironclad being the easier one, after getting two wins in a row with Silent I haven't been able to even see the end of Act 2 with the Ironclad after eight tries

Edit: Welp, a new Ironclad low dying halfway through Act One, gotta love the gremlin guy who does 56 damage turn 5 when I have like 2 non-basic cards and no items

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 25, 2018

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Slime posted:

Not if it's an exhaust deck! With an exhaust deck, status cards can become just another resource to burn.

i have not yet won with an exhaust deck mostly due to lack of opportunity. If you don't get some of the core cards early on, just go for a more standard deck really.

I had a pretty killer exhaust ironclad deck and hit the time slug for 200+ damage in one turn, it was nice. Too bad I couldn't keep the deck around for longer.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't know what people are saying about Ironclad being the easier one, after getting two wins in a row with Silent I haven't been able to even see the end of Act 2 with the Ironclad after eight tries

Edit: Welp, a new Ironclad low dying halfway through Act One, gotta love the gremlin guy who does 56 damage turn 5 when I have like 2 non-basic cards and no items

If you're randomly casting three Skills a turn into the Gremlin Nob and then complaining about losing, you need a different game to play.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

quote:

26 of 26 (100%) achievements earned:

:toot:

Was mostly just cleanup at this point, ended up getting lucky and knocking out both the 50 strength and one turn boss kill in one run where I got an early shovel and ended with like 25 total relics. Double dropkick in a <10 card deck is still my favorite card combo!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Ironclad is strongest as he has good passive heal and great block synergies. This makes him the most survivable character who is less prone to some of the bullshit enemies, like Nemesis.
If you mouse over enemies and yourself, you can see all their statuses and effects. Gremlin Nob gains strength for every Skill card you play. It's recommended to not over-block against him, and prioritise dealing damage. Gremlin Nob is the easiest elite to beat at the start, especially as Ironclad, due to your deck not being bases on skill synergies.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Got my first win, this deck got just a little ridiculous. Despite never bumping into Barricade or getting any good relics, I finished Act 3 including the final boss without ever taking a point of damage. I'm almost guaranteed to draw my entire deck every turn. Almost every turn I Power Through, double flex, Immolate the two wounds I got from Power Through, and finish with a 26 damage Body Slam. If there was a huge attack coming or I felt like doing a absurd Body Slam, I skipped the immolates for Impervious.

If I had ran into a Barricade this whole thing would have been even sillier.

This is why you thin your decks, folks.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Dropkick dual wield is really fun too.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Internet Kraken posted:

The hell does snobbery have to do with it? Early access games are just more fun when they are actually complete.
Counter: ARK Survival Evolved. Game became more and more hosed up as development continued. I'm sure there are other examples.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Geisladisk posted:

Got my first win, this deck got just a little ridiculous. Despite never bumping into Barricade or getting any good relics, I finished Act 3 including the final boss without ever taking a point of damage. I'm almost guaranteed to draw my entire deck every turn. Almost every turn I Power Through, double flex, Immolate the two wounds I got from Power Through, and finish with a 26 damage Body Slam. If there was a huge attack coming or I felt like doing a absurd Body Slam, I skipped the immolates for Impervious.

If I had ran into a Barricade this whole thing would have been even sillier.

This is why you thin your decks, folks.

I like that you think maybe a 56 damage body slam is absurd.

:smuggo:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I gotta remember to start screenshotting my victory decks.

I won with a deck last night that went full offense. Got an Orichalcum at the start so I killed all my basic block cards ASAP and had two Metallisize+, two Heavy Blow+, Demon Form+, two expose weakness, and Limit Break+ (as well as a few other cards because I couldn't quite completely thin it out by the end). It didn't dominate (I killed the Time Lord when he had a fatal attack queue'd) but it was still fun. Also dropping 200+ damage Heavy Blows is fun.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Who needs a good deck when you can just Dead Branch your way to victory?
(At one point I had 15/3 energy with a full hand from all the Offerings and Seeing Red's I exhausted :shepface:)

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I get the idea of thinning your deck but how the hell are you thinning it that much? That's crazy.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Stallion Cabana posted:

I get the idea of thinning your deck but how the hell are you thinning it that much? That's crazy.

If this was in response to me (I assume it was because the poster between us has a 32 card deck) I just didn't take very many cards from rewards, and generally used the merchant to remove a card whenever possible. I had most of the cards for my build before the level 1 boss. It actually could have been a lot thinner as well because I also was trying out perfected strike, which I've decided I'm not a fan of because it almost requires card bloat, which in turn makes it less likely to actually get your beefed up attack.

Other ways that people thin it a lot is through a lucky string of ? events, and the peace pipe (adds an option to remove a card at a rest stop).

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 25, 2018

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

IcePhoenix posted:

If this was in response to me (I assume it was because the poster between us has a 32 card deck) I just didn't take very many cards from rewards, and generally used the merchant to remove a card whenever possible. I had most of the cards for my build before the level 1 boss. It actually could have been a lot thinner as well because I also was trying out perfected strike, which I've decided I'm not a fan of because it almost requires card bloat, which in turn makes it less likely to actually get your beefed up attack.

Other ways that people thin it a lot is through a lucky string of ? events, and the peace pipe (adds an option to remove a card at a rest stop).

yeah sorry I should have clarified. I actually meant the guy whose deck is just 9 cards big.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Stallion Cabana posted:

yeah sorry I should have clarified. I actually meant the guy whose deck is just 9 cards big.

My last two wins involved a 7 card ironclad deck (with double dropkick) and an 8 card silent deck (with triple of the poison gas power and then nothing but defensive skills + 1 catalyst :v: )

With the first one, I only needed to spend gold on removal so I just targeted merchants hard and got help from ? events, with the latter I got an early peace pipe and toked up a shitload.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

lmbo, here's a good one: dude winning with a two card ironclad deck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrkhLuroyzg

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I had what I was sure was going to be my first win going last night as Ironclad, had Orichalcum and the cursed book that makes all attacks that cost more than 2 energy hit twice (but the curse part had been removed by a fountain). I also had the relic that gives you extra energy at the expense of potions. My deck was pretty lean, and I was able to get +7 energy and +8 strength reliably, and then I'd fire off an upgraded whirlwind and just shred through everything in my path...and then on the second to the last fight before the third boss, I ran into a group of slimes, and I proceeded to destroy them with a whirlwind using 7 energy, for a total of 14 whirlwind hits due to the book.

Unfortunately, I didn't pay attention to the fact that they had all cast a damage shield on themselves. 3 Thorns for +2 damage meant that I hit myself for 84 damage and ended my run with one stupid click.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

last beta branch update before it gets pushed to main branch soon, looks like we're getting ascension mode, the leaderboards update fix, and run history today :hellyeah:

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

I tried to do that minimal deck thing, only got down to 7 cards and washed out on the 2nd floor. I feel like you've gotta get pretty lucky with removals to get below 5

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Update sounds good. I am going to have to play this more. So far, the only decks I've won with have been strength stacking ironclads. Limit break is the holy grail must-have. I'll usually run an inflame and flex to start the strength doubling off. Jaxxed is also good. I find demon form too expensive and too slow. Add in a couple pommel strikes and angers to start cycling through cards and getting a bunch of free attacks. Offering is huge if I find it, but it is usually have to settle for a battle trance or two instead. The goal is to cycle through the deck fast, doubling my strength each time, and getting a bunch of free anger attacks.

It also works well with feed, to increase max hp, or reaper, to get pretty much all your health back in one hit. Blocks are poison to the strategy, and get pruned out. I don't mind running a single impervious though.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 25, 2018

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

This is the second time I got to the final boss with the Silent, had it be the Time Eater, and had him just destroy me.

First time was a poison deck. Didn't know he could cleanse so he had 200 poison with 78 HP, he cleansed and owned me because I had nothing left

This time was a Shiv deck- it was basically perfect, 2 Accuracy +s and a basic Accuracy, all the Strikes removed, tons of Cloak and Dagger+s, the Shuriken for extra strength, two Burst +s for spamming Cloak and Dagger, and rested coming in for full HP-, and he beat me in 4 turns and I couldn't do anything, I don't think it was just bad draws, he spammed all his hardest hitting attacks and I just fell over dead, it was awful, but I think the bad draw luck played into it some too.

So unfortunate.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think I've only been burned by Early Access like once and it was an impulse purchase. I just buy stuff that people are having a lot of fun with in its current state/stuff that's been so successful there's no danger of running out of money. Everything I've bought except for that one game is either finished and released or still getting regular updates.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TOOT BOOT posted:

I think I've only been burned by Early Access like once and it was an impulse purchase. I just buy stuff that people are having a lot of fun with in its current state/stuff that's been so successful there's no danger of running out of money. Everything I've bought except for that one game is either finished and released or still getting regular updates.

Between this and Dead Cells, I've gotten the most enjoyment out of EA games this year than any actual release, at least on PC!

VVV :saddowns:

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 26, 2018

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Well yea it's January

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This game would be amazing on tablets

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Managed to kill the collector earlier without it ever touching my HP: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/222493698

Beat a final boss(awakened one) with that build(44 cards lol) just took a while: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/222499003

Shield turtle with poison and some AoE is pretty nice. Got decent relics though.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Sad the score screen didn't go in yet, but drat I had such a great loving run just now. One of the most insane series of relic pulls I've ever had.

Bottled offering, barricade with thread and needle, five sources of energy gen with ice cream, and then a random necronomicon to top it off with uppercut. Getting the necro was basically the beginning of the end for any difficulty that run, but holy poo poo even the ice cream managed to be relevant if you get it early enough to remember to play around it.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Ice cream is so loving good.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

It is, especially if you get some energy gen for it, but I always forget about it when I pick one up mid run and I'll just dump my hand instead of conserving energy for later turns.

Unceasing Top is also really bad about this. Play out hand, click end turn, a card appears and rockets into the discard dumpster. gently caress!! Why is your animation so slow!!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I am so bad with the silent, it always seems to start so slow compared to the ironclad. Can someone give me some tips on how to git gud with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I find that the issue with Silent is that there are a lot more enemies that counter its playstyles vs. the Ironclad. Like, really, the Ironclad can do pretty well with just getting good new cards and dumping the starting ones.

The main Silent builds get hosed by certain enemies. Artifacts make Poison buildup even slower, and some bosses purge Poison and gently caress your victory condition. This is somewhat balanced out by the fact that most enemies don't do anything against Skills (Chosen and that Act 1 Elite), whereas there's plenty of poo poo that Weaken, have Plated Armor, are Malleable, or whatever. It does suck rear end with AOE unless you get Corpse Explosion, though, and even then it's not like, fast about it.

The combo deck type, which I would classify Shiv and Bullet Time decks as, get absolutely hosed by status effects. I lost a run strictly because I went up against a group of two Repulsors and the explodey bot and thorny bot and those Dazes absolutely hosed my deck that was weak in pieces, but aggregated to a poo poo ton because I would draw and then Bullet Time.