Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Waffleman_ posted:

Kennedy Cartoons what are you doing

It was founded by Glenn Kennedy, who was animation director on A Pup Named Scooby Doo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Larryb posted:

Aren't creepy furries basically what killed Tiny Toons to begin with? I heard a story a while back about Tress MacNeille who played Babs getting stalked by some guy and eventually quitting the show.

I think they had a whole sketch mocking creepy fans in Animaniacs. (The Please Please Please Get A Life Association)

Looney Tunes spent a long time not really knowing what to do with female characters, it seems like. Until The Looney Tunes Show anyway. (and new-Lola just struck me as a crazier Amy Rose anyway. Before they made Amy saner) I forget if they did much with Daffy's girlfriend who sees him as a fixer-upper.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Inescapable Duck posted:

I think they had a whole sketch mocking creepy fans in Animaniacs. (The Please Please Please Get A Life Association)
Both points are true!

I kind of appreciate rhat they gave Babs a range of personality choices, so she wouldn't be pigeonholed as the typical Girlfriend.

Gives her a really fun kind of agency. Too bad about the mouthbreather that ruined it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Inescapable Duck posted:

Looney Tunes spent a long time not really knowing what to do with female characters, it seems like. Until The Looney Tunes Show anyway. (and new-Lola just struck me as a crazier Amy Rose anyway. Before they made Amy saner) I forget if they did much with Daffy's girlfriend who sees him as a fixer-upper.

From what I remember she did appear a fair amount, mostly to act as a straight (wo)man to Daffy and/or Lola, but she was still fairly funny in her own right

Honestly the weirdest thing about The Looney Tunes Show was how certain characters got used, like Elmer Fudd despite being one of the most iconic LT characters barely ever showed up in the show(indeed outside of the Grilled Cheese music video I don't think he ever really showed up outside of the occasional background cameo), and it certainly wasn't because of an aversion to guns, that show used guns a surprisingly heavy amount for a kid's cartoon

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I don't know where else to post this because I looked into ADTRW and nothing made sense.

I watched Little Witch Academia on Netflix and I feel it's like Gurren Lagann for girls. (-fanservice and +adorable hats) It was cute and fun and happy.

Also, if you don't know what Gurren Lagann is you should watch that too because it will make you feel good about yourself.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

FilthyImp posted:

Both points are true!

I kind of appreciate rhat they gave Babs a range of personality choices, so she wouldn't be pigeonholed as the typical Girlfriend.

Gives her a really fun kind of agency. Too bad about the mouthbreather that ruined it.

it didn't make her quit the show, it made her cancel convention appearances in the area the guy lived in

she was on the show right until the end and worked on most of the same shows the crew did afterward

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

From what I remember she did appear a fair amount, mostly to act as a straight (wo)man to Daffy and/or Lola, but she was still fairly funny in her own right

Honestly the weirdest thing about The Looney Tunes Show was how certain characters got used, like Elmer Fudd despite being one of the most iconic LT characters barely ever showed up in the show(indeed outside of the Grilled Cheese music video I don't think he ever really showed up outside of the occasional background cameo), and it certainly wasn't because of an aversion to guns, that show used guns a surprisingly heavy amount for a kid's cartoon

Probably because either they'd have to totally rework his role or given the formula he'd basically be an attempted serial killer.

They did turn Yosemite Sam into Ned Flanders, hilariously.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Kennedy Cartoons what are you doing

What they've always done: be terrible. The guy behind it must have given some extremely generous contracts.

drrockso20 posted:

They are supposed to be teenagers, also Babs did a surprising amount of fanservice gags in that show looking back

You think that was bad? this still blows my mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnHNPMMvCCY

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 26, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

drrockso20 posted:

I like the idea of Gossamer as a big child, but I'm still baffled why they renamed Witch Hazel (Witch Lezah) and gave her a stereotypical black mama voice.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I can't think of any legitimately black-sounding Looney Toons. Just adds a little spice to the sitcom mix. Also, maybe Hazel is her twin sister, cursed with a speech impediment that makes her sound like a little old lady.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm also very glad for the return of Speedy Gonzales without all the baggage.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Beachcomber posted:

I can't think of any legitimately black-sounding Looney Toons. Just adds a little spice to the sitcom mix. Also, maybe Hazel is her twin sister, cursed with a speech impediment that makes her sound like a little old lady.

I can, but that's the really, really racist one who's basically black Elmer Fudd.

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm also very glad for the return of Speedy Gonzales without all the baggage.

Probably mentioned, but I'm told Speedy Gonzales has always been super popular in Mexico.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Mr Interweb posted:

What they've always done: be terrible. The guy behind it must have given some extremely generous contracts.

Notably the shows Kennedy worked on after Tiny Toons were a lot more on-model (like Goof Troop and Aladdin)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think Mary Melody was the black Tiny Toon, but I can't really tell you a thing about her and I don't think she appeared much except as a background face.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnHNPMMvCCY

There were so many things about Tiny Toons I was too young to understand, and now that I am old enough, I don't want to.

I guess all the sexy stuff fits in with what media targeted at teenagers was doing at the time, but in between all the high school formatted junk, they always referred to the characters as kids, and they certainly don't look teenage, which really mixes things up there.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Before Space Jam, their female characters consisted of Hazel the witch, Granny, and that one cat that Pepe le Pew was always pursuing. The Looney Tune show was a bit weird, but it put in a good effort to round out the cast at least. It gave characterization to Lola and invented Daffy's girlfriend.

It's weird to slot new characters into the cast of of well-known characters, but it's also weird to assemble a rigid, firmly established cast of characters out of a series of otherwise unrelated shorts from the 30s-70s, so it all evens out.

Rand Brittain posted:

I think Mary Melody was the black Tiny Toon, but I can't really tell you a thing about her and I don't think she appeared much except as a background face.

So far as I remember, the biggest thing she ever did was act as furball's owner. I didn't even know she had a name until recently.

Honey and Bosko in some of the first Looney Tunes back in the 1930s were loosely based off of black people in the sort of minstrel tradition. Later Looney Tunes did not reference them at all until Tiny Toons reinterpreted them as dog people.

So technically old cartoons were more representative than most people would otherwise expect, but since standards have changed and it seems racist now, you get this erasure effect.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SlothfulCobra posted:

So technically old cartoons were more representative than most people would otherwise expect, but since standards have changed and it seems racist now, you get this erasure effect.

Seems racist?!
Early Looney Tunes were racist as poo poo, it's not really a matter of interpretation.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The dogpeople thing is pretty much what happened with Betty Boop, only in reverse I think?

Mr Interweb posted:

Took me a minute to realize that wasn't the fringe of her hair bobbing around in the intro silhouette...
But oh god Fuddonna is just... :cry:

raditts posted:

Seems racist?!
Early Looney Tunes were racist as poo poo, it's not really a matter of interpretation.
To be fair, all of society pretty much was as well.

It's a marvel we don't have some kind of Irish gerbil with 700 children in the cast of characters.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm not saying it wasn't racist, it's just an interesting choice between non-representation and negative representation.

Although for the most part, in the Looney Tunes shorts you wouldn't even really know the difference between Bosko and Honey and the nebulous similarly-colored animal people of Betty Boop or Disney shorts of that era if you didn't know about the minstrel shows they bare a resemblance to. (It's very possible that those other cartoons were harkening to minstrel shows as well, I don't really know anything about them other than that they were supposedly very prominent in the public consciousness before they were stopped and buried)

Of course, in the Looney Tunes they featured in, they barely talked. When Bosko did talk at length, it was decidedly less comfortable. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xVUCRG1x9Y That's animation history there.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Corek posted:

Tiny Toons is possibly the canonical example of animation being traceable to individual studios.

You think that's bad, just look at early Simpsons:

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

It’s impressive that even with the diverse styles those all look just like Bart.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

From toe to tip.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

The episodes of Tiny Toons and Animaniacs animated by TMS were very special to me as a kid. Probably the only thing that attracted me to the world of Japanese animation.

Edit:
I could never stomach the Kennedy episodes.

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 29, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

Probably mentioned, but I'm told Speedy Gonzales has always been super popular in Mexico.

Speedy Gonzales has always been super popular with everybody's sister in Mexico.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Inescapable Duck posted:

Speedy is a hero with basically a superpower who goes around protecting the poor and downtrodden from Fat Cats.

Put aside the fact that he was a rare example of a positive role model and good representation, the stories basically cast him as Zorro.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't think the problem was ever Speedy himself, but the other mice who were all lazy.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Slowpoke Rodriguez, he carry a gun.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah the only time Speedy was ever really problematic would be his very first short where he had a different much more racist design

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I dunno how much the 'lazy mexican' stereotype has teeth nowadays given it's mostly moved onto 'stealing all the jobs', but then again I'm Australian, and we proudly stereotype ourselves as lazy and slacking off at every opportunity.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Inescapable Duck posted:

I dunno how much the 'lazy mexican' stereotype has teeth nowadays given it's mostly moved onto 'stealing all the jobs', but then again I'm Australian, and we proudly stereotype ourselves as lazy and slacking off at every opportunity.

You will find a 99% overlap in people who believe Mexicans are stealing our jobs and people who believe Mexicans are lazy welfare mooches.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pakled posted:

You will find a 99% overlap in people who believe Mexicans are stealing our jobs and people who believe Mexicans are lazy welfare mooches.

Point. And we have the exact same thing with immigrants in Australia.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

"Lazy" is one of those things people apply to every group they don't like. Because people, on the whole and from every background, are actually pretty lazy.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Beachcomber posted:

I don't know where else to post this because I looked into ADTRW and nothing made sense.

I watched Little Witch Academia on Netflix and I feel it's like Gurren Lagann for girls. (-fanservice and +adorable hats) It was cute and fun and happy.

Also, if you don't know what Gurren Lagann is you should watch that too because it will make you feel good about yourself.

I’ve been watching LWA with my little sister. Such a great show I wish there were more anime like it, instead of creepy fan service bullshit

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pakled posted:

It's Schroedinger's Immigrant.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lube Enthusiast posted:

I’ve been watching LWA with my little sister. Such a great show I wish there were more anime like it, instead of creepy fan service bullshit

The creepy fan service probably funds the good stuff.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Inescapable Duck posted:

The creepy fan service probably funds the good stuff.

fan service : anime :: SUVs : Porsche

:iiaca:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Preemptively: if someone tells you the next show from that studio is Darling in the Franxx, they're misguided and lying. That show is by A-1("I can't believe my little sister is this cute", a show about a guy who falls in love with his (step) sister.) with minimal contributions by Studio Trigger (Little Witch Academia).

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

lol at defending Trigger's honor, considering some of their past output.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

A-1 Pictures (Erased) and Trigger (Kill la Kill)

Like, outside of a few exceptions, the actual studio involved doesn't really mean that much since it's all fuckin' contractors.

E: A-1 Pictures (Space Brothers) and Trigger (Inou Battle)

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 29, 2018

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

dogsicle posted:

lol at defending Trigger's honor, considering some of their past output.
And Imaishi is a plain ol' horndog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, LWA is actually kind of an outlier in tone for Trigger.