Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I hate grinding for grinding sake in this game.

This weekend I farmed XP by repeating level 100 mission rescue the survivors. At my level is not hard (I am level 78-ish) and the people at high level is not lazy (in two occasions we rescued everyone, with a extra of 9 survivors we did not need), but it was killing my soul.

My main goal was to unlock the latest map, but now that I have done so, I fail to see a good goal. I am slowly building a shotgun based soldier, but I don't see using a funny build in level 100 missions. For level 100 missions you use your better hero and your better gear. :-/

My better gear is the hydra, gravedigger and the HB event rocket launcher. My best hero (for survivors) is Izza, for building is Powerbase Knox, for combat is Urban Assault or Sara Hotep.

I am upgrading a Controller builder, because bull + decoy can be pretty op, but is going to take a while (I have started with a green hero, ... for reasons).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I finally got to Canny Valley which is neat. I don't like that there's no more Ray or plot. It's not essential but it really adds a lot to the game. I sort of want to wait for it to be fleshed out so I don't miss anything but I also want to play more now.
My CV SSD1 had one rando join. He moved to the trap in front of my base and did not move or do anything else the entire time. Classy.

My hero transform got me the mythic Master Grenadier Ramirez which was nice, it was my first mythic anything. I don't know if she'll be better than Jonesy but I'm going to level her up some and see if I like more grenades or more bullets.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Rexxed posted:

I finally got to Canny Valley which is neat. I don't like that there's no more Ray or plot. It's not essential but it really adds a lot to the game. I sort of want to wait for it to be fleshed out so I don't miss anything but I also want to play more now.
My CV SSD1 had one rando join. He moved to the trap in front of my base and did not move or do anything else the entire time. Classy.

My hero transform got me the mythic Master Grenadier Ramirez which was nice, it was my first mythic anything. I don't know if she'll be better than Jonesy but I'm going to level her up some and see if I like more grenades or more bullets.

Grats on the Grenadier! :argh:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Rexxed posted:

Master Grenadier Ramirez is one of the best soldiers in the game. She utterly trivializes any mission reasonably close to your level and can easily carry 3 teammates who arent even sure which end of the gun is the dangerous one.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Great Beer posted:

Master Grenadier Ramirez is one of the best soldiers in the game. She utterly trivializes any mission reasonably close to your level and can easily carry 3 teammates who arent even sure which end of the gun is the dangerous one.

Yeap! Grenadier saves you a shitload of traps/ammo. They're kinda bad-ish versus minibosses/Smashers, but still have a ~35% flat damage increase compared with most other classes.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Basically the only reason Urban Assault is better than grenadier is because of how quickly they can kill smashers with the right gun, since there's a lot more things that can clear out blobs of regular husks.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Seditiar posted:

Yeap! Grenadier saves you a shitload of traps/ammo. They're kinda bad-ish versus minibosses/Smashers, but still have a ~35% flat damage increase compared with most other classes.

Eh, unless there are multiple smashers I've never had a problem dealing with them. Throw a nade or two behind it, pop the minigun, and finish it with your rifle. Easy peasy

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

You folks were right about Knox. My bases are invincible.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

You folks were right about Knox. My bases are invincible.

Walls self-repair, so thats nice. Then they are a tiny bit stronger. And if you upgraded to max level/quality, you get some resources every minute for quick repairs.

I have mythic kile but I like powerbase kyle more because it allow more room for error.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Great Beer posted:

Eh, unless there are multiple smashers I've never had a problem dealing with them. Throw a nade or two behind it, pop the minigun, and finish it with your rifle. Easy peasy

Aye, (late) Twine Peaks very often throws 2-3 Smashers at the same time at you, often from 2 different directions as well. Kill them? New Smashers at your door step within half a minute. Grenadiers aren't necessarily bad against them, but if you have to grenade each Smasher, you'll run out of them really fast.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Tei posted:

Walls self-repair, so thats nice. Then they are a tiny bit stronger. And if you upgraded to max level/quality, you get some resources every minute for quick repairs.

I have mythic kile but I like powerbase kyle more because it allow more room for error.

Yeah it helps a lot when playing with the general population who do not set up kill corridors. Just slap down BASE and repair where needed.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Just started playing this morning. It's my first battle royal and I'm sorta liking it!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Well storm tickets and storm rewards do not seem to be working on the ps4 today.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Well storm tickets and storm rewards do not seem to be working on the ps4 today.

I did 2 before, you're not missing much. Supposedly the Hydra is the only good hydraulic gun and you'll get the same good roll as everyone else when you buy the Transform schematic

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I did 2 before, you're not missing much. Supposedly the Hydra is the only good hydraulic gun and you'll get the same good roll as everyone else when you buy the Transform schematic

I need water.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Check out ore/planks/nuts and bolts. It feels juiced.

Responding to an old comment, but yeah. Present boxes give 100% resources in Stonewood, 200% in Plankerton, and 300% in Canny Valley. Assumedly they give 400% in Twine Peaks, but I tapped out of actually playing the game in late Canny when each map had like a 3% chance of containing the correct side-quest you needed to advance.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

I need water.

Gimme your IGN I got a level 25 Auto Sniper that will rustle your bustle

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Completed Twine Peaks SSD6 just now. :toot:

Edit: Some cool things that happened:

Insert 9/11 joke here.
Bouncy castle

And barely pulled off an SSD-saving res:
Click.

TheBlandName posted:

Responding to an old comment, but yeah. Present boxes give 100% resources in Stonewood, 200% in Plankerton, and 300% in Canny Valley. Assumedly they give 400% in Twine Peaks, but I tapped out of actually playing the game in late Canny when each map had like a 3% chance of containing the correct side-quest you needed to advance.

Fwiw, there's easily 1-3 trolls in each map nowadays. Assuming you're talking about those.

Mr Hootington posted:

I need water.

What weapon/level? Got a 5* (Stampede) shotgun, 5* Siegebreaker and 4* Drumroll as water weapons.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 27, 2018

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Doesn't everyone just prefer energy these days?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I meant raindrops for leveling my junk. I'm ready to 3 star my guns, but storms being borked sucks.

On a sidenote I will make my purple knox orange tonight. He is grest.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

I meant raindrops for leveling my junk. I'm ready to 3 star my guns, but storms being borked sucks.

Knox is great, I made my blue guy purple and no regrets.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Doesn't everyone just prefer energy these days?

Depends really. Lots of people in TP prefer one of each element so you always do 100% damage. That's fairly high on the min/max scale, though. Then you have people who have a 4th "vanilla" gun for non-element Husks. My element weapons do more damage to normal ones than any normal gun I have though.

E:

Mr Hootington posted:

Ah, right. Power base owns, yeah.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
I have been playing the battle royale and closest I got to a win was 2nd place but I am up for some squad action if anyone plays it on PS4.

Gamertag is DrFlankensttein

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
So I've been playing this a lot the last two days. Cool game. But I only have the Battle Royale standalone. When I open it I see a PvE section but I cannot start it, it does say something about it becoming F2P later in 2018. Anyone know if that's true?

I like Fortnite BR, what incentive do I have right now to shell out 60 bux for Fortnite proper?

Add me on PSN: grizzlywilde, I now only play with 14 y/o British dudes and creepy mid-western mouthbreathers.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Sioux posted:

So I've been playing this a lot the last two days. Cool game. But I only have the Battle Royale standalone. When I open it I see a PvE section but I cannot start it, it does say something about it becoming F2P later in 2018. Anyone know if that's true?

I like Fortnite BR, what incentive do I have right now to shell out 60 bux for Fortnite proper?

Add me on PSN: grizzlywilde, I now only play with 14 y/o British dudes and creepy mid-western mouthbreathers.

It's "only" $40, personally I'd wait at least until they do a discount again (last one was 50% discount). It's a cool game, but riddled with bugs at the moment. Not too gamebreaking, though. Later in 2018 is correct, but I wouldn't expect it before the last quarter of 2018. As for incentive: you get tons of free V-Bucks from PvE. Including but not limited to at least 50 for a daily quest (works the same as PvP, max of 3 dailies, get 1 new one per day and 1 daily reroll per day). Some missions give extra v-bucks, can only do 3 of these per day, though. You also unlock Daily Login rewards, which is mostly for PvE but you'll get another 150 V-Bucks per week, sometimes 300/450 here and there in a week as well. Not to mention that a ton of the free V-Bucks is front loaded, iirc you can easily get 4k V-Bucks in your first month.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

If anyone ever wants to play PvE hit me up at Mr_Hootington on PSN

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone else getting the "Waiting in queue for ..." right now on PS4?

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
Yeah it keeps putting me back in the queue.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I love the super people llamas! 3 for 3 on pulling mythic lead survivor.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

I love the super people llamas! 3 for 3 on pulling mythic lead survivor.

I hate you

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

2 for 3 here. Both collection book fodder but beats the retire of last round. :v:

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope
So, I'm new to Fortnite's Battle Royale - thus far I really prefer this to PUBG for a number of reasons. It's brighter, games are way faster, less 'serious', and the looting system is pretty cool. The biggest thing I'm struggling with right now is the building aspect of Fortnite, especially when it comes to active fire-fights. How in the world are some people so drat fast at throwing up walls and ramps as soon as I start shooting at them? Are there one-button macros that allow you to switch to blueprints and place a specific building all at once or are they really just that drat quick?

Also, are rocket launchers and grenade launchers found just luck of the draw or are there specific areas where they are more likely to drop? In my ~50 games I've found precisely zero rocket launches and only one grenade launcher...even from people I've killed. I've gotten to the final four or five people a couple times and, when everyone's sporting a rocket launcher at that point I'm pretty outgunned...

Also looking for friends/squads - Tracer-Bullet

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

If you're in PC I think remapping is an option; I'm on PS4 so don't quote me on that!

Regarding general strategy, building is where I'm trying to improve the most now.

Defensively, it is part reflex, part trying to think of the best builds you can get off in a short period of time. Wood is the easiest resource to get but can be shot down almost as quickly as you build it if someone is determined enough. I usually try to turn to where the shots are from and throw up a 1x2 wall while moving backwards, throwing up more along the way if I'm repeatedly getting shot at.

Offensively, stairs are where it's at, for me. If somebody's moving in on you, throw up some walls then a set of stairs leasing to the top of the wall, so hopefully the person is still running towards you or around the perimeter of your wall when you run up the stairs and you can have the high ground.

I've taken to dropping in an area that is less populated, darling a bunch of resources then just trying out how fast I can build a 4 wall structure with stairs inside it, but other than that just get in the poo poo and build build build! I've had plenty of laughs where I caught myself up by switching to/from building and just fuuuuuuucked up what should have been an easy kill, haha.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah dropping stairs plus a wall is awesome in single player too when you get swarmed. Just high enough to get you out of bees and duck away from blasters.

If I wander into a high level destroy encampments or I'm going to solo a wide field I'll throw 4 walls around a set of stairs into a little mini tower sometimes.

Usually I just do that with Sarahotep tho.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

TracerBullet posted:

So, I'm new to Fortnite's Battle Royale - thus far I really prefer this to PUBG for a number of reasons. It's brighter, games are way faster, less 'serious', and the looting system is pretty cool. The biggest thing I'm struggling with right now is the building aspect of Fortnite, especially when it comes to active fire-fights. How in the world are some people so drat fast at throwing up walls and ramps as soon as I start shooting at them? Are there one-button macros that allow you to switch to blueprints and place a specific building all at once or are they really just that drat quick?

Also, are rocket launchers and grenade launchers found just luck of the draw or are there specific areas where they are more likely to drop? In my ~50 games I've found precisely zero rocket launches and only one grenade launcher...even from people I've killed. I've gotten to the final four or five people a couple times and, when everyone's sporting a rocket launcher at that point I'm pretty outgunned...

Building on PC is an insane edge (is there even cross-platform play in BR?). Some people have played a ton of PvE before PvP (or just a ton PvP really) and it's become second nature to them. Back when BR launched for the first time, I played with 3 friends and I'd just build and cover us while the others basically just played the shooter part. We'd consistently get in the "finals" (2 squads total remaining), because I'd literally build building circles around the enemies and they couldn't keep up nor do poo poo about it. Because for them it was the first week of Fortnite, while I already had 3+ months of experience in PvE with quick building. :v:

What I'm trying to say is, they probably don't have a macro, they've just played a shitload already. There's people with thousands of games played already and since there's no ranking system whatsoever, you could be playing against some streamer who's had 1k+ wins already for all you know.

E:

Johnny Truant posted:

If you're in PC I think remapping is an option; I'm on PS4 so don't quote me on that!

Yep! Virtually everything can be rebound on PC.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

TracerBullet posted:

You can bind each type of building (walls, stairs, floors, don't bother with pyramids) to any key so it's just press that key - > click and you've put up a wall. I highly recommend binding them to mouse buttons to keep your left hand free for movement.

As for explosives, you must just be getting unlucky. A lot of them are probably from air drops though, so try to go for those when you can.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope
Thanks, all! This is great information. I'm definitely going to bind a vertical wall and ramp to different mouse buttons to see if that's more efficient (I'm sure it will be.)

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Seditiar posted:

What I'm trying to say is, they probably don't have a macro, they've just played a shitload already. There's people with thousands of games played already and since there's no ranking system whatsoever, you could be playing against some streamer who's had 1k+ wins already for all you know.

So trueeeeee. My rule of thumb is if they have a suit of armour, be verrrrrrry careful. Haha.

Also I'm kind of find it the pyramids :3: I like tossing them up top of structures, like if you built a giant tower/staircase then switch to the floor, throwing some pyramids up is nifty.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TracerBullet posted:

Thanks, all! This is great information. I'm definitely going to bind a vertical wall and ramp to different mouse buttons to see if that's more efficient (I'm sure it will be.)

I've bound vertical wall to M3, ramp to M4, and floor to C. The moment I take fire or am initiating a firefight, I'll either build a quick 4 walls, floor, and ramp or build ramps up to get high ground advantage. That's basically the bread and butter of engaging in BR.

If you want to see like, what the extent of being a good builder does for you in this game, watch these streamers who are arguably two of the best builders in the game 1v1 each other in solos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpBWB_a9GKU

NinjasHyper, another popular FortniteBR streamer, can build just as fast as those guys, but I'd say he's better than both of them mechanically, but the above video is a good example of what high level building IQ looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is there a thread for us console turds, or is it cool to post in here?

• Locked thread