Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I pity people who don't get invested in their pawns anymore. It's 90% of the game for me. All about my people. My dysfunctional, crazy people.

Yup. I get so invested that when my Superbionic pawn with 100% advanced implants got lucky headshot-killed, I savescum reloaded, swarmed the guy who “killed” him before with clubs to down him.

I then removed every part of his body, and replaced them with subpar prosthetics, recruited him, then made him melee a bear for survival.

While engaged, I opened up my mortar battery on the both of them.

You do not gently caress with my pawns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Come ooooonnnnn:

This man saved the colony in the latest raid by 30 odd tribals chasing a refuge (who turned out to be totally useless of course) by leading the charge of the heavy brigade into the back of the enemy lines mounted on Portia the muffalo.

All the good shooters were out on a brachiosaurus hunt since I'd just sold all my meat to a bulk trader for neutroamine and I wanted to stop them eating the trees that were the only source of food for a herd of gigantopithecus I wanted to tame. When the refuge arrived, between my shooters and the colony, I immediately drafted the useless bitch and had her stand still next to a convenient grizzly bear, in the hopes the raiders would just grab her and leave. Unfortunately 30 screaming barbarians mounted on boomalopes (well 2 of them anyway) weren't going to be satisfied with such a petty offering. The grizzly bear got caught in the cross fire as planned and aggroed nicely but went down in a hail of arrows before it could take more than 2 steps.

Teh fire team sets off on a desperate hell march round the long way round the mountain, but the enemy charges down the side of the base and are soon cutting them off, although they hadn't seen them yet, they are probably trying to attack the south side, detered by the horde of pirates chilling outside the north gates. But is is still becoming obvious that the fire team couldn't move through the deep snow quick enough to get back into the base, especially with two peg legs. But they are still the r best shooters, veteran of many a hard fire fight and Alex, with a newly looted good quality minigun from a Centipede and currently experiencing a shooting frenzy :getin: (Alex ordinarily can't shoot for poo poo, and was delighted to be taken out hunting with the "grownups")

As they rounded the mountain from the east they could see the enemy advancing towards them through a mounting blizzard, led by a bad rear end woman on the back of a brontosaurus

The situation isn't helped by the fact that half the enemy are fast walkers, but our guys are in the lead by a few hundred meters. Between the two forces, a frozen lake covered in deep drifts of snow, and just south of it a line of boulders. With seconds to spare the team make it to the rocks and hunker down in cover, Alex anchoring the northern end of the line with the minigun, then Rafael (hero Bates deadly rival) with a heavy smg, then with revolvers; Val the beautiful young teenage girl and her firm friend Duncan "pussycat" Bentley the one armed, one legged ex Convict who had only juuust made it to the rocks in time. Everyone else looks on Duncan as a liability, but with a peg leg herself Val sympathises. At the south end the twin lynch pins of the colony, Rebecca Ninja and Leslie "Good" Good (aptly named this woman can do everything) with bolt rifles. Rebecca is fluttering on the edge of a breakdown from the indignity of being made to fight with a rifle when all she wanted to do was tear that brontosaurus' throat out with her teeth, but she is holding it together. Just.

As the horde wades out into the drifts on the open lake the line erupts into fire and fury. No one can see what the gently caress they were shooting at but no one cares anyway. The screams on the wind in the occasional break in the shooting tell them they are doing just fine. The occasional arrow whips past their heads as enemy archers move into cover behind some boulders opposite the line, but tribals are dieing left and right as they doggedly wade into the barrage. But as dusk falls a giant shadow looms out of the flurries, Cheda rallying her troop as she charges into melee on the back of her trusty brontosaurus. Everyone unloads on her stead and it staggers under the shear weight of lead pounding her, but she keeps coming, scrambling up the bank of the lake as her master tumbles from her back and crashing bodily into Alex bellowing her rage and pain.

Alex goes down like a lead balloon as the rest of the line scrambles to put some distance between themselves and the beserk beast. Much to their surprise they are successful, the faithful brontosaurus finally succumbing to pain only a few feet beyond Alex. Panting Good outlines the plan, they would charge back to the rocks and hold there until rescue arrived. She couldn't leave Alex, her beloved husband there to die, and besides he was the Mayor too. It was everyone's duty. But wait, they were missing one. Where was Val, the first recruit at age 16 and the only young person in a colony of 40+? Everyone looked on her as sort of shared daughter. That settled it then, maybe they would leave the mayor to die but anyone of them would die to save Val.

A mad dash out of the trees and back into the cover. Anyone hit? No, everyone made it back, even Ducan hobbling along without Val to help him. Alex is found and declared stable. Suppressing fire on the bastards opposite, and keep your heads down. A lone man has managed to cross the lake in the north and now threatens to flank the line. Surely those back in the base will be sending help soon? Yes there's only 4 of them and only 2 have any idea how to fight, but they have 2 diplodocii and a brontosaurus with them, not to mention the dogs...

--------------

Meanwhile Bates, the man with 2 wooden legs after he held a bunker doorway against 5 men, has been desperately rallying his 3 troops. Bino is decent in a brawl but she's a healer and hasn't been in a real fight for years, kept safe in the back. Johnny is a fantastic cook but unfortunately has no idea how to use his cleaver on anything that isn't already dead. Viper as he well knows is a vicious, bloodthirsty bitch when she wants to be but of limited use as she doesn't actually know how to fight, just talk. But he still loves her. All of them are scattered over the base, Johnny and Viper don't even have weapons equipped. But he does have the dinos, and a horde of machine gun toting pirates here to trade.

Viper is sent running for the only decent ranged weapon in the place, a great bow. Fortunately she does have shooting 3 and careful shooter. Bates orders her to the northern bunker, there's till a trickle of enemy stragglers passing and maybe she can pick off a few, or at least pin them down. Meanwhile Bico will mount her beloved diplodocus Kip and ride out the gate to where the pirates are hanging around while one of the enemies tries his luck headbutting in. She (or more likely Kip) will squash the cheeky bastard and draw his friend's fire, hoping to get the pirates involved. Kip squashes like a champion but the pirates are bizarrely insistent on turning the other cheek and continue to mill around despite several casualties. Under a hail of arrows Bisco retreats and rallies with Bates at the eastern gate. With the dogs and the other large animals in tow they will sally out towards the gunfire they can hear echoing in the hills, and hope that Viper can discourage a second charge on the north gate by herself.

And so around midnight they thunder out the gate and straight into a cross fire. Portia is cut out from under Bates in less than a minute but he picks himself up and sprints as best he can with two peg legs and snow to his waist at the dim shapes he can see behind the rocks. Probably fortunately for him Bico and the dinos get there first, but he arrives in time to finish off a couple with the same ikwa that chopped one of his legs off. Scrambling aboard Jezebel the diplodocus and bleeding almost as heavily as she, he leads the charge into the unknown for the second time this night. Happily this time the remaining archers, seeing three dinos painted red with their own and other peoples blood appearing behind them break, and are cut down by the shooters as they try to cross the lake.

Everyone takes stock. Alex is still stable, Bico and Bates are beat to hell and the dinos have more blood outside them than in. But everyone is alive. Except no one has seen Val for several hours now. But she isn't with the bodies behind the rocks. The enemy brontosaurus is still alive, ish and as Bates drags himself over to put the beast out it's misery he sees something hidden under its vast tail. Desperately they pull Val free, and she doesn't seem to be wounded! But as they turn her over they see it. Snapped off, almost hidden in her hair, an arrow straight through the back of her skull. It must have hit her just as she turned to run from the brontosaurus, and as she fell so it collapsed on top of her.

Two days ago Bates accepted Viper's proposal. They are still planning on getting married, bonded closer than ever after their experiences this night. But now there will be no maid of honour, and something will be missing from their lives for ever. But he will not die, he will live on for the girl who was the only daughter he will ever know.

Hope that wasn't too wordy, I wasn't intending on writing this much or I'd have taken more screenshots during the fight. That was the best and most interesting fight I've had though, most of mine tend to be 95% wiping the floor with the enemy and 5% getting wiped.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
Which mod is it that allows you to plant mushrooms underground?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
After playing with it for a bit, I don't like the Medieval Times mod. Basically, I feel like it doesn't mesh all that well with the base game; the art style isn't quite right, it adds a million pieces of equipment (including entirely new slots) when a quarter of that would do, it's poorly balanced vs. vanilla and quality mods, it adds a stupid green / blue / purple system which this game doesn't need, and the item descriptions are a mixture of 10th grade writing quality and the author's personal sperg thoughts.

Thank you for reading my opinion on this video game mod.

Are there any good mods that add more stuff for the medieval era that blends better with the base game, a la Tribal Essentials?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah the designs of the crafting stations is kinda dumb - far too many small lines, not cartoon enough to fit vanilla. The massive complexity of the armor system is... daunting. I’ve settled on one or two pieces each of the armors and are making those, and immediately scrapping the others that happen my way.

But it was a nice addition to a middle ground between tribal and spacer tech, though tribal essentials itself might be good on its own. I do like the bridge in tech between tribals and spacers...

I mean I know already I’m a huge nerd for getting excited over a video game in the thread, but I just realized that, as a Star Wars conversion has been made, why not Stargate? That universe has a lot more interaction with loads of other civilizations at different tech levels. Now it’s time to look...

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The thing to realize about Medieval Times is that the armor pieces work on a pretty basic tier system and the only differences between the 55 options in a given tier is looks. It's nice because it means you can have everyone wearing high quality gear without every single person looking like they've been stamped out of a uniform factory.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I have been enjoying Rimworld a lot so far but the more I play the more of a bummer the UI becomes.

Even just on first blush it looks like ugly programmer-designed stuff and it has no polish whatsoever, but beyond that it also just doesn't do enough to expose important information.

My current annoyance (emblematic of many of the UI's shortcoming) is with how illness is communicated-- I had a rash of plague sweep through my camp and only after a bit of savescumming did I realize that diseases are basically a race between the % of immunity and the progress of the disease itself. Having to click on a colonist, then their health tab, then potentially parse through a list of injuries and mouseover the disease, then compare two incrementing percentage values, is a really horrible way for a player to find out literally the most important thing going on with that particular character (are they dying or not).

I'm also having trouble comparing weapons and actually figuring out which ones are stronger. Looking at the weapon's simple info box on the lower left tells you virtually nothing, and clicking the information panel almost tells you too much, for a new player at least. Why not put a few important statistics, like the DPS, firing rate, and ideal range in the basic box rather than making me dig down to see even a basic comparison? Same exact situation with clothing/armor. Why not have a paper doll that shows me at a glance which slots the apparel goes in rather than writing out "torso, left shoulder, left arm, right shoulder, right arm, left leg, right leg" in a list inside a subwindow?

I could list a million of these little annoyances.

I know that ultimately a lot of this comes down to the game being made by apparently only like two people + contractors, I can only expect so much, but it's a bit sad for a game that's been in development so long to have such lousy UI/UX when the game is so profoundly menu-driven and reliant on effectively surfacing a variety of complex information.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 21, 2018

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."
Out of curiosity, what would people like to see in a Rimworld LP? Any particular gimmick runs, any particular mods? I've seen a few requests for a Rimworld LP but the scope for them is massive, and though even vanilla runs can come up with some fun natural stories, it'd be interesting to do something challenging that isn't just about ramping up the difficulty.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Scoss posted:

I have been enjoying Rimworld a lot so far but the more I play the more of a bummer the UI becomes.

Even just on first blush it looks like ugly programmer-designed stuff and it has no polish whatsoever, but beyond that it also just doesn't do enough to expose important information.

My current annoyance (emblematic of many of the UI's shortcoming) is with how illness is communicated-- I had a rash of plague sweep through my camp and only after a bit of savescumming did I realize that diseases are basically a race between the % of immunity and the progress of the disease itself. Having to click on a colonist, then their health tab, then potentially parse through a list of injuries and mouseover the disease, then compare two incrementing percentage values, is a really horrible way for a player to find out literally the most important thing going on with that particular character (are they dying or not).

I'm also having trouble comparing weapons and actually figuring out which ones are stronger. Looking at the weapon's simple info box on the lower left tells you virtually nothing, and clicking the information panel almost tells you too much, for a new player at least. Why not put a few important statistics, like the DPS, firing rate, and ideal range in the basic box rather than making me dig down to see even a basic comparison? Same exact situation with clothing/armor. Why not have a paper doll that shows me at a glance which slots the apparel goes in rather than writing out "torso, left shoulder, left arm, right shoulder, right arm, left leg, right leg" in a list inside a subwindow?

I could list a million of these little annoyances.

I know that ultimately a lot of this comes down to the game being made by apparently only like two people + contractors, I can only expect so much, but it's a bit sad for a game that's been in development so long to have such lousy UI/UX when the game is so profoundly menu-driven and reliant on effectively surfacing a variety of complex information.

Disease is actually pretty easy to deal with. You set the priority for "Patient" to 1 in the work tab for everyone as soon as they join your colony, anyone with a disease will get into a medical bed if one is available, or a regular bed if one is not. Your doctors will treat anyone whose disease status is "needs treating now" automatically, and you just make sure they have access to the best medicine you have on hand, your best doctors are the ones treating them, and they stay resting as long as possible. If they get up to do something else (like if a fire breaks out and they also have "firefighting" as priority 1) just make them go back to bed. After that, you either have good enough doctors and medicine to survive the disease or you don't. There's not a lot you can do to influence the outcome. Well, except for making sure everyone has functioning kidneys. If someone is missing a kidney and they get sick, thier blood filtration stat will be worse and they will gain immunity slower.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Phoenix Taichou posted:

Out of curiosity, what would people like to see in a Rimworld LP? Any particular gimmick runs, any particular mods? I've seen a few requests for a Rimworld LP but the scope for them is massive, and though even vanilla runs can come up with some fun natural stories, it'd be interesting to do something challenging that isn't just about ramping up the difficulty.

Once it hits alpha you can go hog wild. I think the general rule is 6 months after full release.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
LP revoked the 3 month rule, go hog wild!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

wit posted:

Once it hits alpha you can go hog wild. I think the general rule is 6 months after full release.

Do you mean full release? Because it was in alpha for a looooooooong time and just got out of that recently.

In my latest playthrough I've found myself wishing that I could remove eyes (maybe you can but I don't have high enough medical skill/research?) because one of my colonists got a scar in his left eye that brought it all the way down to 1/10 and the pain it causes him stacked on top of the penalties from effectively only having one eye is maddening. If I could just remove the drat thing he'd lose almost nothing in terms of vision but would get rid of the 23% pain modifier (I assume) which would be really nice right about now.

Maybe I'll get a bionic eye somehow I guess.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah LP doesn't care about the 3 month rule anymore (which was a poorly advised rule to begin with) so just so long as you're not doing some low-effort thing that is just posting garbage nobody will gig you

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

Coolguye posted:

yeah LP doesn't care about the 3 month rule anymore (which was a poorly advised rule to begin with) so just so long as you're not doing some low-effort thing that is just posting garbage nobody will gig you

Cheers guys. I think I could still make an engaging LP even with vanilla, but I want it interactive - so people vote on initial colonists, what to do with prisoners, general decisions like what craft to focus on, stuff like that. What do you think would make it more interesting to read? I want to keep the mods to just quality of life for now, though it's tough to let go of some of the cybernetic ones.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is there a mod I can use to quickly switch the outfits of a group of colonists? What I want is a group of soldiers that wear normal clothes, but when I click a button that whole group changes outfits to "soldier" before they go fighting. RIght now the best I can do is have a list of my "soldier pawns" and manually change their outfits one by one when I need to.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

there's no way you are going to make these screenshots engaging for people who are not already intimately familiar with the game, so you can't rely on them for more than basic illustration. you're going to have to double down on other storytelling techniques, and if mods help you with that, go for it. you're going to have to write a fair bit and think about what is happening a fair bit more. there's a lot of things you could do with it, though. i'm going to just walk through my entire thought process on how i would do this.

firstly, recording your entire time in game is a must. i don't care if you have 4 hours of footage, it's too easy to get distracted by something going on and forget to do whatever your recording is. get something other than fraps that will make the video managably small, such as bandicam or OBS.

the simplest thing one could do would be to do a screenshot LP with individual frames lifted from your source video, with a third person omniscient storyline linking everything together. what you're effectively doing in this case is writing a picturebook novella. nothing groundbreaking, but people will instantly connect to what you're doing.

the most complicated thing you could do would be to adopt voices and personalities for each of the colonists and write each update as an excerpt from someone's journal or record. you could even animate it by adding subtitles to video excerpts of your source and eschew screenshots completely - in this way, the character is effectively narrating their own life. if you really wanted to go all out you could probably find a couple people who are willing to provide their voices as well - i know WarpedNaba for example has lent his voice to a couple of things and people like him. depends on what you want to do though.

definitely think about what sort of texture and spirit you want your LP to have before you even make your test post. that vision is going to be what you will basically be selling to people over the course of the LP.

i wouldn't worry about vanilla mechanics at all. the second anyone says it's like anything dwarf fortress the strict majority of your traffic is going to stop giving a gently caress about the game because of DF's reputation. either study the vanilla game enough that you know it inside and out and can answer any questions fully and completely or recruit someone who can. i can and have talked about vanilla mechanics all day loving long in this thread so if you want me to do that just PM me when the thread goes live or something.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 21, 2018

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Why not just take a page straight out of DF's book an do a succession colony? It wouldn't have quite the complexity of mystery levers and failed terra forming projects that DF does but maybe that's not an all together bad thing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

because in general, succession games are impenetrable for most people (you can look at the DF posters historically and it's mostly the same group doing every thread) and in specific, it takes so long to do anything in rimworld that going one year at a time or something of that nature isn't going to be annoying because you will either continue the work of the last player (at which point, why bother switching off) or simply setting the stage for what you're going to do for 2 out of your 4 seasons.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

Do you mean full release? Because it was in alpha for a looooooooong time and just got out of that recently.

In my latest playthrough I've found myself wishing that I could remove eyes (maybe you can but I don't have high enough medical skill/research?) because one of my colonists got a scar in his left eye that brought it all the way down to 1/10 and the pain it causes him stacked on top of the penalties from effectively only having one eye is maddening. If I could just remove the drat thing he'd lose almost nothing in terms of vision but would get rid of the 23% pain modifier (I assume) which would be really nice right about now.

Maybe I'll get a bionic eye somehow I guess.

If you're not opposed to mods EPOE adds an eye patch for this situation that's super easy to make.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

Coolguye posted:

there's no way you are going to make these screenshots engaging for people who are not already intimately familiar with the game, so you can't rely on them for more than basic illustration. you're going to have to double down on other storytelling techniques, and if mods help you with that, go for it. you're going to have to write a fair bit and think about what is happening a fair bit more. there's a lot of things you could do with it, though. i'm going to just walk through my entire thought process on how i would do this.

firstly, recording your entire time in game is a must. i don't care if you have 4 hours of footage, it's too easy to get distracted by something going on and forget to do whatever your recording is. get something other than fraps that will make the video managably small, such as bandicam or OBS.

the simplest thing one could do would be to do a screenshot LP with individual frames lifted from your source video, with a third person omniscient storyline linking everything together. what you're effectively doing in this case is writing a picturebook novella. nothing groundbreaking, but people will instantly connect to what you're doing.

the most complicated thing you could do would be to adopt voices and personalities for each of the colonists and write each update as an excerpt from someone's journal or record. you could even animate it by adding subtitles to video excerpts of your source and eschew screenshots completely - in this way, the character is effectively narrating their own life. if you really wanted to go all out you could probably find a couple people who are willing to provide their voices as well - i know WarpedNaba for example has lent his voice to a couple of things and people like him. depends on what you want to do though.

definitely think about what sort of texture and spirit you want your LP to have before you even make your test post. that vision is going to be what you will basically be selling to people over the course of the LP.

i wouldn't worry about vanilla mechanics at all. the second anyone says it's like anything dwarf fortress the strict majority of your traffic is going to stop giving a gently caress about the game because of DF's reputation. either study the vanilla game enough that you know it inside and out and can answer any questions fully and completely or recruit someone who can. i can and have talked about vanilla mechanics all day loving long in this thread so if you want me to do that just PM me when the thread goes live or something.

This is pretty sound advice. I was originally considering a dark comedy narrative, along the lines of Fallout that doesn't take itself too seriously. I wanted to do some colonist perspective narrative, diary excerpts maybe, along with some illustrations too. When I was following Gemclod the succession worked quite well, and people ended up doing their own artwork, diary entries and one guy even got a job off the back of the music he wrote for it. I can't see succession working well with Rimworld, but I do like the idea of naming colonists after goons, maybe tweaking the scenario to start with 10 of them to get things moving right off the bat, and having posters suggest some goals for the colony to achieve, wild or realistic.

I've got OBS so recording and lifting vids, gifs or screens wouldn't be a problem, and I can do some basic editing to trim out particular scenes and fiddle about with some basic graphics.

Re: mods, I would be a lot happier keeping some of them and the ones I use tend to add a lot more content without ruining balance (unless we're talking bionics, but I tend not to abuse that anyway) - the Psychology mod for example, there's one that adds a lot of bionics and synthetic organs. Some of the core rimsenal stuff is good (adds more than one type of Charged weapon). RimFridge I consider essential now.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I've enjoyed the end-game weapon additions of Sparkling Worlds - you get a stun gun (pain gun), stun stick, burn stick (to be sadistic... it's the pre-req tech to the pain stick), gauss rifle, rapid fire rifle (shoots weak shots but really frequently), and an end game poor accuracy but huge damage plasma rifle.

Weapon Tech adds some interesting variety to ranged weapons. There's some decent overlap between rifle versions, but enough difference that if you really want to min-max you can, and there are some that are better for certain situations even if they're otherwise 99% similar.

Psychology is great since it comes with colonist thoughts/ideas baked in and they interact with each other far more interestingly than vanilla.

You might enjoy Giddy Up! and the associated Caravan mod. Allows you to mount and ride various animals, so things that weren't really useful before suddenly become so - yeah, you can ride a Thrumbo into battle. The caravan version makes it so that if you send off a caravan where all the colonists are mounted, there's a % speed increase that makes your caravan much more zippy. I've got Dinosauria and Horses added in, so you can be a horse riding raiding party... or a Utahraptor riding raiding party. Or a T Rex if you're that cool.

Nature's Pretty Sweet is kinda cool, especially working with the volcanic fields.

Edit: I've been working on saving my latest colony endeavor - screenshots at important points, taking notes on the colonists, their psych eval, and interactions... when I go off-grid I use it as a thing to do and practice hand writing (since it's terrible and it'd be nice if others could read my records...). Maybe I'll think about doing it differently - I was focused on a 3rd person perspective focusing on one colonist, but the diary thing sounds intriguing. Heck, voice overs actually sound pretty fun too...

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 22, 2018

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Psychology is pretty much designed specifically for LPs, so it should be interesting to see how you utilize it if you run one.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Is there a way to tell where a caravan has been requested if I've gotten rid of the message?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Open world map and look for the icon is the best I've found.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If a settlement requested something, they’re usually the local one and if you click on their settlement, it’ll say what they requested and the expiration.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've been having a lot of fun with reusable pods: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1169411104
Fill your pods with 6 skilled infintry fitted out with power armor and charge rifles, drop into the center of the enemy base, wipe them out, shove prisoners and anything valuable into the pods and go back home. My prison for 6 is now full with 10 prisoners, may have to move from individual cells to a prisoner barracks.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
It's no dropship mod but that does look a like a pretty decent substitute.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

So, as it turns out, having more than one colony in my game at the moment causes me to hit the 32-bit address ceiling and crash. So my organ farm is a no-go.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
There's a small part of my base which counts as overhead mountain, which insects like to spawn in. Unfortunately, my medbay is in the middle, and they spawned right after my doctor finished installing some new bionics in one of my best warriors, who slept like a baby through this entire mess:

I got 11 of my guys on bleedout timers, more with minor wounds, and a whole bunch of missing limbs. Miraculously, none of my pawns have died (yet.) Dead and dying camels and huskies everywhere. Good thing I finally got bionics production ready to go!

Is there any way to blast out overhead mountain or anything? This is getting annoying.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

metasynthetic posted:

Is there any way to blast out overhead mountain or anything? This is getting annoying.

Not without mods. I recommend you install some turrets in that area to serve as distractions while you organize your defenses.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

metasynthetic posted:

There's a small part of my base which counts as overhead mountain, which insects like to spawn in. Unfortunately, my medbay is in the middle, and they spawned right after my doctor finished installing some new bionics in one of my best warriors, who slept like a baby through this entire mess:

I got 11 of my guys on bleedout timers, more with minor wounds, and a whole bunch of missing limbs. Miraculously, none of my pawns have died (yet.) Dead and dying camels and huskies everywhere. Good thing I finally got bionics production ready to go!

There's a mod or two that'll let you, but other than that the only way is using dev mode.

I have the opposite problem, where raiders keep pod dropping in the 7 tiles that aren't overhead mountain inside my base :mad: Go through the front you jerks, you're going on the altar either way and I hate having to rebuild the bed you guys keep destroying

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
If it's really just one or two tiles you can always just build walls on them.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
You could also light it with sun lamps. :v:

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I think I'll just toss up a few turrets. I checked the overlay and the area is roughly the same size as my medbay, and fortunately it stops barely short of the boomalope pens:

Also, asking for no particular reason, are mechanites contagious?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

metasynthetic posted:

I think I'll just toss up a few turrets. I checked the overlay and the area is roughly the same size as my medbay, and fortunately it stops barely short of the boomalope pens:

Also, asking for no particular reason, are mechanites contagious?

No diseases are contagious, you catch them at the whim of Randy.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Mzbundifund posted:

No diseases are contagious, you catch them at the whim of Randy.

Or when Cassandra thinks you need to get taken down a peg (you always need to be taken down a peg.)

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Warmachine posted:

So, as it turns out, having more than one colony in my game at the moment causes me to hit the 32-bit address ceiling and crash. So my organ farm is a no-go.

He needs to get off his rear end and get a 64-bit version going. It's not hard. The torture simulator needs more goddamn torture.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mimesweeper posted:

He needs to get off his rear end and get a 64-bit version going. It's not hard. The torture simulator needs more goddamn torture.

The torture simulator is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding torture simulator?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Dirk the Average posted:

The torture simulator is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding torture simulator?

We can't simulate enough torture, there's a hard limit on the capabilities of the torture simulator. We need more fidelity. We need more bandwidth. We need to upgrade the simulator so the sciencetorture can continue to break new ground. The current capabilities are insufficient. We require more minerals. We require more vespene gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
For us averse to torture, its still kinda iffy that the only way to really prevent prison breaks is to give every prisoner peg legs then remove the peg legs.