Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Who should I move Zenobia to when I get her? Zeke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I would say Driver Combos aren't even very important in the main game. Sure they're helpful, but Blade Combos are where I did my big damage most of the time, and those are way easier to get.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

socialsecurity posted:

This conversation started about a dude at the start of the game trying to figure out which cores to open for his first rares, that will determine what he will use for the next like 60-80 hours that is something to care about.

It is and it isn't, in a sense. You should probably care about the cores that you get to assign, yeah. After that you can kind of do whatever you want. Including overdrive someone to Rex because you want them there.

My whole point is you're not going to run out of overdrives in the main story unless you're trying to min-max when you don't need to. You can move a couple blades around in the beginning, like I moved Boreas over to Nia with my first overdrive, and then opened Vess on her and that's who I used with her for most of the main story.
For the ultimate matchups, you can do all of that stuff in postgame. I was responding mostly to the post about how the excess of overdrives doesn't count because it's not available til post-game - I say that's fine and doesn't matter. You cannot screw yourself over by using one overdrive to send an axe user to Rex. The hyper min-maxing that everyone (including me) cares about so much does not matter until the very end, and by that point you can get enough overdrives to sort it out. If you use your last overdrive in Chapter 4 to send Zenobia to Rex, that's not a terrible thing. That's all.

Re: Driver combos being not that important, it depends a lot. I did most of my damage with blade combos as well, but driver combos have the big advantage of taking away damage from whoever you did it to for a considerable amount of time. You also get extra drops, although that's less of a thing.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

bizarre deformity posted:

Who should I move Zenobia to when I get her? Zeke?

That's who I have her opened on, yeah - I had the benefit of all the last 4 blades I needed all being ones I wanted on Zeke so I just opened all my final crystals on him. That said, in the mid level 90's I'm using him on Rex along with Roc - double wind be damned, it just works so well.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

shortspecialbus posted:

That's who I have her opened on, yeah - I had the benefit of all the last 4 blades I needed all being ones I wanted on Zeke so I just opened all my final crystals on him.

That's probably what I'll do

Also I just got a 3* Common Blade with lv 5 Orb Master, so... yay?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

shortspecialbus posted:

Re: Driver combos being not that important, it depends a lot. I did most of my damage with blade combos as well, but driver combos have the big advantage of taking away damage from whoever you did it to for a considerable amount of time. You also get extra drops, although that's less of a thing.

You don't need to do the full driver combo to do the first one though, I got through the majority of the game with just Break and Topple like it was the first Xenoblade. I'm glad they put much less of a focus on that mechanic, really.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Momomo posted:

You don't need to do the full driver combo to do the first one though, I got through the majority of the game with just Break and Topple like it was the first Xenoblade. I'm glad they put much less of a focus on that mechanic, really.

If you do a launch and smash, and don't rush them, you triple the amount of time that they're unable to fight back. This has the added benefit of significantly extending your available time for fusion combos if you have your party fire off specials during the launch time, which significantly increases damage output.

You're completely right that you can do fine without them - I didn't even start doing them til near the end of the main story - but they're still a significant aid both to damage output as well as party health.

Edit: besides, (chapter 8 spoiler)Jin's monster attack with break-topple->launch->smash nearly instantaneously was so freakin cool that it made me feel bad for missing out on that action for most of the game haha

ssb fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 26, 2018

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Maybe they're not necessary, but full driver combos can do some major damage and shorten fights considerably. My main problem with them is they either lock you to a handful of weapon choices that aren't always that fun to play (Rex with a greataxe and his chapter 4 blade makes for dull combat) or have you rely on the AI to do that for you, which they often won't do if they're more interested in completing a blade combo. Sometime you just want to shoot things with a gun and punch things with metal gloves, you know?

shortspecialbus posted:

Edit: besides, (chapter 8 spoiler)Jin's monster attack with break-topple->launch->smash nearly instantaneously was so freakin cool that it made me feel bad for missing out on that action for most of the game haha
If only that three-hit move didn't take a day and a half to charge up between each use.

ajkalan fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 26, 2018

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

ajkalan posted:

Maybe they're not necessary, but full driver combos can do some major damage and shorten fights considerably. My main problem with them is they either lock you to a handful of weapon choices that aren't always that fun to play (Rex with a greataxe and his chapter 4 blade makes for dull combat) or have you rely on the AI to do that for you, which they often won't do if they're more interested in completing a blade combo. Sometime you just want to shoot things with a gun and punch things with metal gloves, you know?

If only that three-hit move didn't take a day and a half to charge up between each use.

Driver 4/5 spoiler, I guess, although I really don't know why we're spoilering it: Zeke is very, very good at prioritizing driver combos, especially launches. I found this out late game after changing my party to Rex, Morag, Zeke after a certain someone becomes a great healing/damage option for Rex. Every time I'd topple with Mythra, I'd nearly instantaneously hear "Pandoria!" and then boom, a launch. This was a necessity for me at the time because I didn't have a rare axe user, and I didn't want to use commons for whatever reason. I probably converted 70+% of my topples into smashes because of Zeke. Morag is considerably less reliable and will usually not change blades to smash with a katana user, and honestly rarely smashes even if she already had the katana user up for whatever reason. I cannot speak for Tora because I stopped using him at earliest opportunity because I couldn't stand his voice.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

shortspecialbus posted:

Funny enough, the only time I ever used driver combos were explicitly for the bonus drop rate. Once I had a team decked out to driver combo the postgame bosses though, you can use them to essentially combo lock the enemy out of being able to do any damage by repeatedly using the driver combos and then getting off extra damage by using specific skills. Rex can launch with Axes, but also has an axe attack that deals bonus damage to toppled enemies, so there's a ton of synergy.

Also, on the subject of people worrying about who to overdrive to who and when and people who are worried about optimization: don't be. The two best blades in the game are Mythra and Poppi, both of which the game just hand to you, and then using Nia with three healing blades slapped on her is enough to beat any postgame boss. Any other blade is just to make things more fun for you. Yeah, Zenobia on Rex might be redundant for combo purposes because of the wind element, but for one you already have one blade capable of using two elements at a time in Pyra/Mythra (and eventually get access to a blade who can use any element) so that's really a moot point, and secondly the difference between you getting seven element orbs on an enemy instead of eight is such a negligible difference it doesn't even matter. It's worth having Zenobia on whoever you're controlling to be able to use her the most effectively, so if you're controlling Rex stick her on Rex 100%.

The second thing about the postgame superbosses is that they're actually not particularly hard, they just have what is essentially a level requirement. I could NOT beat the Relentless Arduran at level 90, then I came back with the exact same party at level 93 and trashed him. Unless you literally take your hands off the controller, there's not really any good way to play the game "better," so if you lose a fight it's more in the macro strategy of okay I need to change my accessories/aux cores or something. I did the level 130 fight with an Ether Cannon Zeke Meme build, but I didn't have any affinity nodes on KOSMOS at all and I still won the fight, and that was after being him three times with different characters. The game will never get difficult enough that you should ever be rethinking your blade/driver choices, and if somehow it is just use Mythra to win the game for you until you're strong enough that your sub-optimal decisions don't even matter, because that's very very easy to accomplish.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I mostly agree with that, especially the "what actually matters" part but I'll disagree on "not rethinking your blade/driver choices." You're correct on the reason, but it's really fun to do that after the main game, and is like most of what I'm doing right now is experimenting with different combos.

But it's completely unnecessary. Just fun.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Please tell me there's a fast way to get 5,000 fans for Ursula. I unlocked level 4 of her affinity chart, and only have around 460 fans at this point.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Dr. Fetus posted:

Please tell me there's a fast way to get 5,000 fans for Ursula. I unlocked level 4 of her affinity chart, and only have around 460 fans at this point.

There's not. Abandon ship.

I'm not joking. It takes 40+ hours of away missions to get her maxed out.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

I care about you inherently as a human being and I implore you to forget Ursula exists

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

:psyboom: Welp. At least I have Dahlia as a healer to fall back on. Levels 1 through 4 seemed fairly reasonable, then this hellgrind suddenly popped up.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Ytlaya posted:

There are enough acquirable overdrives to get all blades on the people you want them on in the post-game, but for the purposes of 95% of the story you're unlikely to get more than 3 or 4.

That being said, it's not necessarily a bad idea to switch one thing to Rex early on. I switched a Gorg from Nia to Rex and he served me well through a lot of the earlier game.

Gorg's a good one because there's so many combos that Four and Nia can do which involve Water.
Agate is good if you're interested in getting more orbs queued up.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tetsuya Takahashi posted:

In the version 1.2.0 update, there is a bug in certain instances during and after Chapter 7 where a Blade linked with a specific Driver disappears from the Blade List (it only disappears from the list, the Blade itself does not disappear).

This is a bug that occurred during the process of adding the second playthrough element called “Advanced New Game Mode,” which will be implemented in the version 1.3.0 update planned for mid-February.

We apologize for the inconvenience for the about half a month that remains, but we are working hard on the development of the update, so please give us your patience.

More information regarding the specific updated content of version 1.3.0 will be shared leading up to its release.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Re: driver combos, if you aren't doing them you're really missing out on the most satisfying feeling in the game which is the camera doing dramatic zoom in on the enemy and the announcer bellowing "ELECTROFIRE STORM TOPPLE"

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

New Game+ in Mid-February :dance:

Can someone translate the rest?

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/adena/sp/production-notes/index.html

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I mostly use Driver Combos (or, really, Fusion Combos) because I like hearing the announcer too, tbh

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

It's not even half that at the point he's at what are you smoking

Dr. Fetus just keep doing her missions, worst case it's a good way to get weapons manuals by leveling up common blades you aren't using at the moment.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

IcePhoenix posted:

It's not even half that at the point he's at what are you smoking

Dr. Fetus just keep doing her missions, worst case it's a good way to get weapons manuals by leveling up common blades you aren't using at the moment.

Ursula's missions are a wretchedly tedious grind for minimal gain, and require constant handholding due to how short the missions are.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Good to see that Monolith was able to retain some of the stupidity from XCX when it came to super weapons for your Skell. Farming items for the super weapons was beyond idiotic.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Louisgod posted:

Good to see that Monolith was able to retain some of the stupidity from XCX when it came to super weapons for your Skell. Farming items for the super weapons was beyond idiotic.

It's not really comparable at all. It's actually really useful for leveling up other blades. Ursula isn't that great to use yourself in my experience so you're not missing out on a ton by not fully achieving her pop sensation dreams. Plus it's all passive, once you've sent the team out they're out. No worrying about equipment or drop rates or spawn chances.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How is this game for oversexualized waifus?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

How is this game for oversexualized waifus?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YWSnTKQJX4

prrrrobably :nws: in some places

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ursula's missions are a wretchedly tedious grind for minimal gain, and require constant handholding due to how short the missions are.

But they are a monumentally fantastic way to fill out affinity trees.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I wasn't planning on doing Ursula's quest, but in the process of doing the other Rare's quests and killing all the superbosses and grinding out the cores to get all the Rares, I ended up just completing it.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I don't know if this got posted already, but Mitsuda and ANUNA are teaming up to remix music for Xenogears! They've got a website set up here. Looks like it's going to be released on 4/4. I'm pretty hyped! :woop:

ANUNA are these people, in case you don't know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv5CifO4KtA

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Try looking two posts up from yours :v:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
uh, ursula is the best healer you can get out of the gachapon, it's not even close, and she doesn't need to be past like level 3 affinity to be great

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

Not going to read the thread right now to avoid spoilers, but I just got to the part where Ch7 Nia beats Malos with the power of cancer and it's amazing. Also the part where Mythra's particle cannon wasn't good enough because the particles had mass was funny

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

With enough bonus skills they last like two minutes a pop. At least you can skip the post-mission dialogue now!

Edit: they really need the option to immediately redo a merc mission with the same blades!!!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

With enough bonus skills they last like two minutes a pop. At least you can skip the post-mission dialogue now!

Edit: they really need the option to immediately redo a merc mission with the same blades!!!

Y-yes! I'd pour my heart and soul into that feature! Even something close would be fine-ish.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

shortspecialbus posted:

Y-yes! I'd pour my heart and soul into that feature! Even something close would be fine-ish.

I laughed

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jesus Christ game just give me Zenobia instead of flashing her at me every time I use a core crystal. This is so ridiculously stupid!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i hate how i can get kosmos, the only rare blade that has a lower drop rate than the other rare blades, but i cant get a loving rare tank on morag

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Blushy crushy? What the hell

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

spit on my clit posted:

i hate how i can get kosmos, the only rare blade that has a lower drop rate than the other rare blades, but i cant get a loving rare tank on morag

Go to Gormott Informant and buy the thing from him about Core Crystal Thieves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jesus Christ game just give me Zenobia instead of flashing her at me every time I use a core crystal. This is so ridiculously stupid!

For my entire playthrough I was teased with whichever Blade has those big flaming shoulders :argh:.